Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #281
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to arubberstamper

Thanks so much Alicia for the help. I'm off to look and then off to my yahoo group to ask Jane if she knows the sandwich for the crease pad and the bigz die in the wizard. Right now I'm using the sandwich she suggested to use way back when the sizzix dies came with the creases. Do you know the sandwich off hand for the crease pad and the bigz die for the wizard?
Thanks again,
Robin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #282
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubberstamper View Post
Thanks so much Alicia for the help. I'm off to look and then off to my yahoo group to ask Jane if she knows the sandwich for the crease pad and the bigz die in the wizard. Right now I'm using the sandwich she suggested to use way back when the sizzix dies came with the creases. Do you know the sandwich off hand for the crease pad and the bigz die for the wizard?
Thanks again,
Robin
From Jane herself ( I'm a member of 2 of her yahoo groups she's the die cutting guru in my opinion )

Same recipe as for any steel rule die, but you can use the Sizzix crease pad instead of the universal cut mat.
For some reason, Sizzix made the standard hard acrylic mats a hair wider, but the crease pad, extended long pads and platform and XL mats will all fit in the Wizard. The difference when using these mats in the Wizard are that you will usually eliminate the platform and only use one mat. Please note that it is possible to break the mats as they weren't made for the Wizard. Also, it is possible to void the warranty on your Wizard when using these other mats--I have so far safely used the crease pad, XL and extended mats and platform without breakage.
Hugs,
Jane in San Diego

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #283
Inking Addict

Default Card examples using dies...

I am taking my daughter to the hospital this afternoon. Just spending so time trying to quench my nerves. I have a lot of examples, but not a lot of time to post this morning. I will add them to the galleries when I we get back on Friday. In the mean time, here is a link to some examples of things that I have done with the Stampin' Up! dies.

Criss-Cross type card using the Pendant Die - This one has been hugely popular. It is so easy.

Globe using the Scallop Circles

Ideas for the so swirly die

3d bird globe type project

I am working on another card & 3D project for the Pendant die that will have to wait until this weekend. I will post pictures of it along with pictures of the above when we get back in the splitcoast galleries and I'll add a link to the galleries as well.

Hope this Helps!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #284
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to arubberstamper

Yes, I agree Jane is a guru when it comes to these things. After all she was one of the Original Spellbinders design team members. That's why I am in her two groups too. Love both groups.
Robin
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #285

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalbertson View Post
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I have been reading and reading all the posts and I am tired! I have a SU customer who owns the Sizzix machine and wants to know if the SU Sizzlets dies will work in her machine. She currently uses other Sizzlets in her maching with the adapter, so I am assuming that the SU dies would work just fine. Can someone please confirm this for me?
Sorry I missed this post!

The original dies will work in the Original Sizzix machine

The Bigz and Bigz XL dies are to big to fit through the opening of the Red Sizzix machine.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #286

OK ladies - what are we going to do when the Big Shot Express comes out. Since it's electric I know it would definitely be tempting to buy it. My manual one works just fine but I just love new toys!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #287
Rubber Obsessor

Default Big Shot Express

I don't think the Big Shot Express is such a big deal, come on itís not like youíll be feeding several plates in one right after another. You still have to stop and line up and insert the next die. It's just another gimmick to get people to buy a new one. It doesnít take that much effort to crank the handle. With the express you either have a cord attached that gets in the way or a separate cord that you need to remember to take with you when you travel with the Big Shot. Can you just image have people all excited about trying you new Big Shot Express and you have forgotten the cord at home. What a let down and disappointed customers. There also might not be a convenient outlet to plug it in where you can demonstrate it well. I also think it would make it heaver because there has to be a motor in there for it to work. I personally think it's an unnecessary feature. The only reason I could see buying the express would be for someone that has trouble with their hands, and therefore would have trouble cranking the manual one.

Barbara
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #288
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

This has to do with the Original Sizzix and not the big shot, but is the Sizzix Spacing Plate shown in the YouTube video on how to use the Nesties the same thing as the Black Sizzix Adapter that comes in a 10 pack? Or is it different? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
This has to do with the Original Sizzix and not the big shot, but is the Sizzix Spacing Plate shown in the YouTube video on how to use the Nesties the same thing as the Black Sizzix Adapter that comes in a 10 pack? Or is it different? Thanks for any help.
The spacer plate is by Spellbinders and comes with the Wizard die cutting machine. It can also be purchased it separately.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #290
Matboard Maniac

Here's a weird question for ya... I purchased my Big Shot about 2 years ago. My "multipurpose platform" looks a little different that what is shown on the video link that is shown on how to use nesties dies. It looks like the new multipurpose platforms are a bit thicker and have some directions on how to use it where as mine has nothing like that. Will I just need to add more cardstock as shims to use the nesties?? Or do I need to purchase this new and improved multipurpose platform?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #291
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBecause View Post
Here's a weird question for ya... I purchased my Big Shot about 2 years ago. My "multipurpose platform" looks a little different that what is shown on the video link that is shown on how to use nesties dies. It looks like the new multipurpose platforms are a bit thicker and have some directions on how to use it where as mine has nothing like that. Will I just need to add more cardstock as shims to use the nesties?? Or do I need to purchase this new and improved multipurpose platform?
I have used a piece of chipboard thick enough to allow my pieces to go through to act as a shim, and when I need to emboss I remove the shim, use one of the larger sized folders used to emboss the brass template. I place my embossing mat with my nestie in the fold, and run it through. Works perfect everytime. With the present economy I look around my craft area for viable replacements, and use them when possible.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by memories4you View Post
I have used a piece of chipboard thick enough to allow my pieces to go through to act as a shim, and when I need to emboss I remove the shim, use one of the larger sized folders used to emboss the brass template. I place my embossing mat with my nestie in the fold, and run it through. Works perfect everytime. With the present economy I look around my craft area for viable replacements, and use them when possible.
This is from my Big Shot FAQ thread on the "other side" The link is in my siggy line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharilea View Post
I have the original Big Shot (teal & black) and my nesties work fine. Here's the sandwich I use:

Big Shot white platform (not the multi-purpose one)
Spellbinders white spacer plate
nesties die
cardstock
2 Big Shot acryllic cutting pads

To emboss, I use:

Big Shot white platform
Big Shot acrylic cutting pad
nesties die
Spellbinders tan embossing mat
Big Shot acrylic cutting pad

They turn out beautifully every time! Hope this can work for you.
Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #293
Matboard Maniac

Thanks so much, guys! Any idea where I can get the Spellbinders white spacer plate?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBecause View Post
Thanks so much, guys! Any idea where I can get the Spellbinders white spacer plate?
The Spellbinders site
Also Ellen Hutson's online store.

If you google it you should find online retailers who sell it.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #295
Compulsive Stamper

For those who have the button die for the Big Shot, are you having trouble with the "foam" part rubbing off and the paper getting stuck in the die? Do I have a reject or is that normal?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5*mom View Post
For those who have the button die for the Big Shot, are you having trouble with the "foam" part rubbing off and the paper getting stuck in the die? Do I have a reject or is that normal?
You should only be cutting one sheet of paper at a time with sizzlet dies. They arent made to cut through thick items.

If it's doing that with only one sheet you may need to call DS.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #297
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not just you! There have been a couple other reports of the foam coming off when that die is run thru the machine.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #298

Updated the first post with more video and photo tutorials for the Basket & Blooms die and Pennant Die Exclusively from SU!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #299
Inking Addict

This is an aswesome thread.
Thanks for all the great info!!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #300
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Fantastic thread!

Want to see the rest of My Gallery?

Check out the Creative Crew for some great Stampin' Up inspiration!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #301

Updated the first post with a link on how to emboss with Brass stencils like SU classy brass in the Big Shot.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #302
Kookie Creator

I have ordered my BS but it's on back order. I did receive all the other pieces but just noticed that it doesn't have the multipurpose platform and standard cutting pads. It wasn't listed on my order either.

Does anyone know if these items arrive with the BS or should I be calling SU to get them shipped out?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #303

I checked out the SU website the standard cutting pads and multipurpose platform come with the Big Shot. So no need to call SU you will be getting it with the machine. You'll love it and have fun!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #304
Kookie Creator

Thank you very much for the info Wendy, now all I have to do is wait patiently for my BS
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #305
Embossing Fanatic

Default big shot dies in red sizzix machine

do the big shot dies fit in the red sizzix machine?
I want to purchase the baskets and blooms die and cannot afford the big shot machine yet...
Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #306
Forum Fanatic

The bigz dies do not fit in the red sizzix. It's not wide enough.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #307

SIZZIX DIE COMPATIBILITY

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the original Red Sizzix machine EXCEPT for the Bigz, Bigz XL, Decorative Strip Dies, and dies marked "Roller Machine Only"

*All Sizzix Brand Dies will work in the Big Kick Machine

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the Cuttlebug HOWEVER your Cuttlebug opening MUST be at least 6 inches wide for the Bigz or Bigz XL to fit through the opening. You can break your plates when using Steel Rule Dies such as the Bigz, Bigz XL dies in your cuttlebug. These dies were made to be exclusive to the Big Kick and Big Shot Machine Only.

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the Spellbinders Wizard

* Sizzix brand dies will not work in the Quickutz Revolution

I just updated this info in the very first post

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 10-18-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #308
Cardstock Collector

Default Big Shot Pillow Box Die Problems

I have the pillow box die and the short end flap seems to always pop out above the larger flap. I have used the pouch box pattern and both end flaps were the same size and always seemed to stay shut when folded down. Has anyone else experienced this same problem with the new die? I don't think the folding crease pad will fix the problem, I think the design is a problem. Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #309
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
SIZZIX DIE COMPATIBILITY

*All sizzix brand dies will work in the original Red Sizzix machine EXCEPT for the Bigz and Bigz XL

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
I have a customer who has the original Red Sizzix machine and she wanted to buy the Sizzix Go Go Boots alpha set and SU is selling. Right on the die set it says "For Roller Machines Only". I also called Sizzix Customer Service and they said the same thing. The die-hards (no pun intended!) that we are, we tried it on the original Red machine with the convertor and no shims/various shims and it would not cut through. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions here?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankergypsie View Post
I have a customer who has the original Red Sizzix machine and she wanted to buy the Sizzix Go Go Boots alpha set and SU is selling. Right on the die set it says "For Roller Machines Only". I also called Sizzix Customer Service and they said the same thing. The die-hards (no pun intended!) that we are, we tried it on the original Red machine with the convertor and no shims/various shims and it would not cut through. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions here?
I'm so sorry! I just verified that as well see this post I'm going to update right now!

Ahhh. Good question. Roll through machines maintain and distribute pressure more consistently than press type machines when you go over a certain size threshold.

With a press tool, you are generating pressure intermittently and only at certain points. This works out just fine when you are talking thick, steel rule dies or are using small dies that get cut in one press.

I won't bore you with the physics formula. (Too early on a Sunday) It has to do with the distribution of energy in a more efficient manner.

Forgot to answer the part about buying another machine. Yep....you'll need another machine to make those long dies work for you. It can be as inexpensive as a Cuttlekids machine (under $20) and a pair of 13" Sidekick mats. A Sidekick would also do the trick and is a LOT smoother to use. You can usually find one on clearance. Please note: Cuttlekid mats don't work with low profile dies, that's why you need the extended Sidekick mats. Cuttlekid mats are great for small to medium wafer thin dies in that machine (although it is not easy to cut cardstock with that gadget!).

Or (please don't hate me for saying this)...Look at the bigger picture and bite the bullet and save up and get an upgrade. If you have been happy with the Sizzix brand, you may just want to consider their Big Shot or Big Kick. Of course, there are other machines on the market (ahem--but you know what they are ). Getting a more current standard size machine will allow you to use the larger dies (more selection). You can sometimes find the older colors of either model (BS/BK) on sale/clearance.

Hugs,

Jane in San Diego

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #311

Default Types of personal dies--trouble shooting ('the usual suspects')

From Jane in San Diego
Some of you may have noticed that at the end of my explanation of basic die families that I was kind of vague While the same sandwich will work most of the time across brands for the same family of die, you will run into problems sometimes.

Here are some of the most common problems, their possible causes and some fixes to try regardless of the brand of machine you are using. Try to use a bit of caution and start out loose and work your way through the problem. I really don't want anybody breaking their machine(s)!

1) Problem: Die doesn't cut all the way through.

Possible causes: Slight variation in thickness of the die; uneven cutting mats; cutting mat too soft; material too dense.

Possible solutions: Shimming with tape or paper usually solves the majority of issues relating to dies that don't cut all the way. It can be as thin as one sheet of copy paper on the back of the die to bulk up the stack. Do not shim too much! If you overdo it, you could damage the die or break your machine. If you can't get a die to cut after about 3 pieces of cardstock shim, look for another root cause.

If you have old cutting mats or your mats have warped, you may need to replace them or put them under some weight to help even them out.

If you have a soft cutting mat, you may need to create/buy a harder mat. Clear acrylic mats are the hardest cutting surface available to the home crafter at this time. Sometimes dies will 'mush' instead of cut when the mat is soft, leaving you with an outline or emboss instead of a cut.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the machines have 'sweet spots' that have more pressure between the rollers. This varies with the different machines. Know where that area is and try to process/position the die so it will pass through that section of the rollers.

Finally, be sure you are not going beyond the capability of the die you are using. For example, Sizzlet dies are not rated to cut through chipboard, so don't be disappointed when it doesn't. Use a different material.

2) Problem: Creases on some dies cut through instead of making a fold line.

Possible cause: Cutting mat too hard; stack too tight; material being cut too thin or 'acceptable' manufacturing variance in the die.

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]Possible solutions: [/COLOR]If you get cuts on a die that is supposed to crease (like an envelope or folder design), your cutting mat could be too hard. Some manufacturers make 'crease pads' or you can make one up by using a self-healing craft mat cut to size and then shim if needed.

If your stack is too tight, try an alternate sandwich if one is available for your machine.

If you are using a delicate material (thin vellum), consider buffering the material with scrap pieces of printer paper.

If it is a manufacturing variance in the die, see if you can return the die and try another one to see if it works better.

3) Problem: Die is too long for machine mats.

Possible cause: Manufacturer has not come out with mats in support of longer/larger formats.

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]Possible solutions:[/COLOR] Wait. Most manufacturers will eventually come up with supporting mats and pads to 'keep up with the Joneses'. Otherwise, you can sometime subsitute mats from other brands or make your own by improvising with bookboard and self-healing craft mats.

Another solution is just to run the die through as many times as needed to get the job done. Just shift the position of the die on each pass, making sure you don't move the paper/stock when you shift.

Hope that helps! Sometimes you can't see the problem with the naked eye. The variance could be so slight that it is literally just a 'hair' off that will make the difference between having a die work perfectly or not at all.

Hugs,

Jane in San Diego

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 10-18-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Old 10-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #312
Stampin' Fool

Wow - we are so lucky here at SCS to have such talented, knowledgeable people. I so appreciate your input and your willingness to share.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #313
Mad Swapper

I haven't seen this question/answer anywhere, but I apologize in advance if it's already come up!!

Can you cut through acetate using the big shot? It seems to cut through everything else, so I don't see why you couldn't. I'm getting a big shot for my birthday on 10/23, so I figured I'd ask before I try to cut acetate and mess something up!! Thank you in advance!!!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #314
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUKim05 View Post
I haven't seen this question/answer anywhere, but I apologize in advance if it's already come up!!

Can you cut through acetate using the big shot? It seems to cut through everything else, so I don't see why you couldn't. I'm getting a big shot for my birthday on 10/23, so I figured I'd ask before I try to cut acetate and mess something up!! Thank you in advance!!!
I used acetate with my Big Shot to make my die cut sampler. It makes it easier for using them as stencils too.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #315
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherof6 View Post
I used acetate with my Big Shot to make my die cut sampler. It makes it easier for using them as stencils too.
Awesome... Thanks!!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #316
Insane Embellisher

I searched this whole thread, but didn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it. Will the decorative strips cut chipboard or vinyl?

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecooks View Post
I searched this whole thread, but didn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it. Will the decorative strips cut chipboard or vinyl?
Nope only the Steel Rule Dies like the Originals or Bigz

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwenker View Post
I have the pillow box die and the short end flap seems to always pop out above the larger flap. I have used the pouch box pattern and both end flaps were the same size and always seemed to stay shut when folded down. Has anyone else experienced this same problem with the new die? I don't think the folding crease pad will fix the problem, I think the design is a problem. Any thoughts?
I would call Sizzix and see if it is indeed a manufacture issue.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUKim05 View Post

Just want to point out that only the STEEL RULE DIES will cut through a thicker variety of materials. Originals, Bigz, Bigz XL.

The sizzlets and Decorative strips will not.

Remember it all depends on what type of die you are using.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #320
Matboard Maniac

Default i'm so confused, someone break it down for me

i looked at some of these pages yesterday since my brand new big shot came in the mail and there is sooo much info. I'm sure it is on here somewhere, but could someone give me a quick answer......I saw reference to the texturez starter kit, the silicone rubber mat, the premium crease pad....could someone tell me what goes with what? in what instance do you need each of these items? Do you only need the silicone and texturez pad for embossing? is that only for embossing the sizzix texturez plates or do you also need the same for nesties and embossing templates? when would you use the premium crease pad?
sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before, but help!!!
thanx
tracyg