Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #2161
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin"T" View Post
Ok ladies I need your help. I just broke my bug. My Dh thinks he can fix it but if not I need to know which one I shoulld order. I loved my bug but is the bigshot a more dependable and stronger machine? Also I have alot of extra B plates, and extra C plate and all the extended plates for the bug. If I purchase a bigshot do I need to buy all the different plates for it ? I am wondering if it is better for me to just get another bug. They say that it is made to be stronger but what broke in mine is inside where the handle is. The metal plate split in half. My DH is going to try to put a metal brace on it to hold it together. Eveything else works. When I try to emboss of cut It spreads apart and only has pressure on the opposite side.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks so much for your help
I own a Big Shot and I love it! I can't imagine being without one again!

I researched and compared Big Shot (BS) and Cuttlebug (CB) before I bought my first BS. I have owned 2 BS; the first I traded to a friend but I missed it so much that I bought another one.

I found several differences between the two machines which I will outline here:

The BS cutting plates are slightly larger in width and length than CB. Which means that CB plates will work in BS, but BS plates will not work in CB because they're too wide.

The BS supposedly has a larger amount of room under the roller -the area where the sandwich goes- which would change the necessary 'sandwich' thicknesses you would need for cutting various brands of dies.

The BS is typically a more stable cutter because it does not fold in half which is the main reason why I chose BS over CB to begin with. I also liked the larger platform. And even though BS takes up a little more room on a table than CB, I decided that for me, BS pros outweighed the cons.

The BS comes with what you need to do general cutting. Included with the machine is the Multi-Purpose Platform (MPP) plus two clear cutting pads, which is enough to get you started. You would be able to cut the shorter dies like Nesties, Sizzix Originals, certain Bigz and Sizzlits, just not the longer dies -- you would need the extended platform for the longer dies. (You may be able to use the CB extended platform you have? Not sure, but you could try it!) Just follow the sandwich recipes suggested on the MPP to get you started cutting.

If your dh is able to fix your old CB, you could give it away to a friend or relative. Or you could sell it if you think the repair would last.

I think the folding up of CB for storage is a handy feature. The geometry of the design folding up in the middle, right where the most pressure is placed during use, is its weakest point, and often cited as the point of failure.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #2162
Compulsive Stamper

I use my CB plates in my big shot. Works just fine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2163
Insane Embellisher

Does metal flashiing from the hardware store go thru the BigShot?
(it is sold on a roll)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #2164
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
(it is sold on a roll)

We got our roof fixed last year and I kept all the flashing scraps. I use them with my steel rule dies in my BS. I've done the SU butterflies (the whole ones, not the fold ones) and Top Note, the Tim Holtz Tiny Tags, Tattered Pinecone (the leaves are difficult to work loose and sometimes the break or tear), and Gadget gears, Snowflake #3, and flowers. Depending on the die, it doesn't always cut all the way through, but I bend it back and forth and that usually helps it break free. I have recently tried a couple thin shims and it worked better; eventually I will try more and see what the perfect amount of shimming is so that it will cut through every time.

I did experiment with some nesties and such, but the depth of the die is not enough to work with. They will work with the metal from a soda can though.

I have successfully run my die cut metal through CB embossing folders like D'vine Swirl, Swiss Dots, Script, Spots & Dots, Mesh, and Snowflakes. The result is absolutely fabulous. The embossing plates don't work at all because you need both sides of the folder to force an impression.

I did some metal die cuts for the PIF thread and the ladies that received them were really impressed. I hope you have as much fun with flashing as I have.

Last edited by dogzruleca; 06-25-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #2165
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
(it is sold on a roll)
Yes...as long as the flashing is as thick as or less than the aluminum (flashing) specs listed on the attached list. Works for copper flashing too as long as it meets the specs on the sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Big Shot approved Materials - SU flyer.pdf (302.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #2166
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cutting border dies

I recently purchased a couple of the long Sizzix border dies and the extended cutting plates. Totally slipped my mind that I needed an extended platform as well. Do I *really* need to buy this too or does somebody have a clever way of getting around another purchase?

THanks.

Julie
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #2167
Mad Swapper

Does anyone know where I can buy just the white plate with the tabs? I already have the machine. but I lost the platform when I was moving. grrrrrr Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #2168
Glitter Queen

yes you can purchase at michaels or joann fabrics
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #2169
Cardstock Collector

Is anyone else having trouble finding replacement cutting mats for the Big Shot? I live in a town that only has a Joann's and a Michael's and neither one of them have them. Even the on-line stores that I purchase from have them on back order. When I finally do find them, I am stocking up so that I am not without a back-up ever again!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #2170
Embossing Fanatic

I'm guessing that you mean the acrylic cutting pads. SU carries them and you can order them online from any demo.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #2171
Rubber Obsessor

Ellen Hutson has the Regular Sizzix Cutting Pads for $9.00 a set.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #2172
Glitter Queen

if y mean the rubber mat to emboss you can try spellbinders directely it dosnt matter because they are enterchangeable ( is that a word)[:
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #2173
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy just the white plate with the tabs? I already have the machine. but I lost the platform when I was moving. grrrrrr Any help would be appreciated.
I don't think they make the plate with the tabs anymore. They have an all-purpose platform that you buy and then you purchase the cutting plates separately.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #2174
Crimping Master

I saw them at Jo Ann's.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #2175
Glitter Queen

I just bought my Big Shot (I broke down and bought it at a local shop earlier today; huzzah!) and I've had a little experience with embossing and die cutting.

However, I don't want to go overboard with the whole thing since we're military (That means that we're constantly moving; I don't need a lot of clutter and the husband would have a fit.); I want to know what basic (and versatile) die cuts and embossing folders would be needed (I do scrapbook and card making, so the machine would be useful for both.).

Question is this: What would be a good "basic" die cut? What would be a good "basic" embossing folder?

Thanks in advance for answering (and reading my rambling)!
Romans 8:38-39
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #2176
Forum Fanatic

I also try to buy basics that can be used on a lot of projects. So I mostly have things like circles, ovals, etc (plain and scalloped). I confess I did buy a few hello kitty dies but they were on clearance. As for folders, I tend to use the ones like dots, flowers, etc that are a full pattern and not a single design on the folder. My only single design ones are ones that came in a set or Christmas ones that I would use more often. I had a bunch of small and border folders that I never used so I sold them.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #2177
Pearl-ExPert

I use the dots folder all the time, and a snowflake one, I love ovals too, I use Marriannes beaded ovals all the time and ive bought the oval nesties so I can also cut the middle out if I want to.
Flowers I use, too much really.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #2178
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhere View Post
I recently purchased a couple of the long Sizzix border dies and the extended cutting plates. Totally slipped my mind that I needed an extended platform as well. Do I *really* need to buy this too or does somebody have a clever way of getting around another purchase?

THanks.

Julie
I bought the Bag w/Scallops when SU! had it on clearance, and I too didn't realize I needed an extended platform and cutting plates. So I got around it by doing half the die at a time: I made the sandwich with one end of the die, put it through the BigShot as far as the cutting plates and platform would go, then kept rolling it forward until I could take it out of the machine. Then I would build up the sandwich on the other side of the die, and insert it into the machine, again rolling it all the way through until I could remove it from the BigShot. Now, I should caution you that I did have to tape the cardstock down onto the die, and even then some slippage did occur, so that some of the cut lines were a tiny bit off near the middle of the die, but it was very minimal. Also, I was cutting several layers at a time which that die isn't exactly meant for, but oh well. It worked for me!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #2179
Rubber Obsessor

I use Spellbinders labels 4 and 5 all the time with my cards. I could not survive without the textile texture, D'vine Swirls, Swiss Dots, and Diamond Plate (great for man cards) Cuttlebug embossing folders. The Spellbinder Nestabilities Oval and circle shapes are great too. The nice thing is you and always add to your collection depending on your style. If you are into flowers Heartfelt Creations has some great dies with coordinating stamps. Stampin Up has an embossing folder called Lattice I use alot too. What ever you get...HAVE FUN!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #2180
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I also try to buy basics that can be used on a lot of projects. So I mostly have things like circles, ovals, etc (plain and scalloped). I confess I did buy a few hello kitty dies but they were on clearance. As for folders, I tend to use the ones like dots, flowers, etc that are a full pattern and not a single design on the folder. My only single design ones are ones that came in a set or Christmas ones that I would use more often. I had a bunch of small and border folders that I never used so I sold them.
One, thanks for answering (I don't normally do a lot of holiday-themed stuff.) and I wish I knew about the Hello Kitty dies!

Two, your avatar is shiny.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #2181
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzkreationz az View Post
I use Spellbinders labels 4 and 5 all the time with my cards. I could not survive without the textile texture, D'vine Swirls, Swiss Dots, and Diamond Plate (great for man cards) Cuttlebug embossing folders. The Spellbinder Nestabilities Oval and circle shapes are great too. The nice thing is you and always add to your collection depending on your style. If you are into flowers Heartfelt Creations has some great dies with coordinating stamps. Stampin Up has an embossing folder called Lattice I use alot too. What ever you get...HAVE FUN!
Methinks I'm having fun already with this rather-expensive hobby. LOL

I did just purchase one of the scalloped shapes that Spellbinders put out, but I'd like to find some things that aren't as expensive.

Thank you for the info; I appreciate it!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2182
Die Cut Diva

Do the Fiskar's Fuse dies work in the BigShot? I just saw these and am intrigued!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #2183
Pearl-ExPert

Never heard of them so very interested in seeing them
Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2184
Die Cut Diva

Fiskar's Fuse. I am very curious about these.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #2185
Pearl-ExPert

Think I'll stick with my bighsot, looks expensive if you have to buy special dies for it.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #2186
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
Think I'll stick with my bighsot, looks expensive if you have to buy special dies for it.
That's why she was wondering if the dies fit in her existing cutter.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #2187
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieDee View Post
Do the Fiskar's Fuse dies work in the BigShot? I just saw these and am intrigued!
They look similar to the original Sizzix dies width-wise.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #2188
Embossing Fanatic

Sorry if this has already been posted, can anyone tell me if framelits can be used in the sidekick? I've got a coworker looking to buy the new Holiday Ornament framelits but she only has the sidekick. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #2189
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlightstar View Post
They look similar to the original Sizzix dies width-wise.
Silverlightstar - I think you're correct. It looks like all of the different dies can be used in the Fiskar so the opposite should be true as well. Good eye!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #2190
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieDee View Post
My answer would have to be no. I bought one of the dies and I did come up with a sandwich that finally cut through but would not recommend it to anyone. And the back of the box does say "not for use with other machines".

I was so disappointed, because I was sure they would work, thinking they looked like our big dies, but it is not the same at all. Guess they had to come up with a way to try and make us buy another machine. You can buy adapters for the fuse machine to use your current products, but think I will just stick with my Big Shot.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #2191
Hardware Hotshot

Here is a page that you can see a video on how it works. It will actually show four sets, and the visual starts on three.

Fuse Creativity System / Crafting | Fiskars
Old 10-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #2192
Stampin' Fool

I am so sad and disappointed. I have a big shot, have only used it a handful
of times and when i went to use it last night it made this lound pop noise and
now it will only cut or emboss only on the left side.
This can't be normal. I was using SU cardstock.
Is this fixable?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #2193
Stampin' Fool

Ok,so i called Sizzix this morning, after a long sleepless night.
They are so nice, they are sending me instructions on how to
open it up to see what happend inside and then if i need a part
they can send it to me.
I sure hope this works. There customer service was great.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #2194
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendak View Post
Ok,so i called Sizzix this morning, after a long sleepless night.
They are so nice, they are sending me instructions on how to
open it up to see what happend inside and then if i need a part
they can send it to me.
I sure hope this works. There customer service was great.
So glad they are helping. I, too, have had great customer service with them when I needed it!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #2195
Stampin' Fool

Well, i think my Big Shot is dead. When we took it apart there is a
crack in the medal part. I don't what happend. I have never dropped it.
So now did i buy it that way?
I had only used it a handful of times.
I don't know what to do. I am really sad/depressed about this.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #2196
Embossing Fanatic

Default Get back with Big Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendak View Post
Well, i think my Big Shot is dead. When we took it apart there is a
crack in the medal part. I don't what happend. I have never dropped it.
So now did i buy it that way?
I had only used it a handful of times.
I don't know what to do. I am really sad/depressed about this.
They emailed you and said they would help. If they are the company I have figured them to be, they want to know if they have a faulty product - is it just 1 or is it a design flaw?

I love my Big Shot - have used it for 3 years - the electric one. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #2197
Gallery Gazer

I've just bought a bigshot now to go back through this thread and read how to use it.
My plates are all connected so I've got to figure out to to separate them?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2198
Forum Fanatic

I keep mine connected. I've read reports of people who separated theirs and regretted it.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #2199
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone used the Sizzix Embossing Diffuser in the Big Shot? I have used it successfully in my Cuttlebug, but a friend and I tried to use it in her Big Shot and we had no luck at all. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #2200
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I keep mine connected. I've read reports of people who separated theirs and regretted it.
All youtube tuts I've seen they don't have the plates connected, I'm definitely not doing anything until I've read a lot of info.