Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #2081
Forum Fanatic

How come this thread shows a page 53 but when I click on it, it takes me to page 52.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #2082
Forum Fanatic

never mind. I guess I just started page 53.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #2083
Creative Crew SU Design Team

My DH just bought me the Big Kick today for my birthday!

I love this thread, it answered allll my questions. I'm a newbie at diecutting so I needed lots of help.

Joann's has dies on sale right now and free shipping promo code. I sold a bunch of cards and placed an order for emb folders and dies.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #2084
Cardstock Collector

I am new here and brand new to paper. I THINK I have my heart set on a Big Shot and have been hunting to find the best deal but not sure what extras I will need with that initial purchase.

I will be using it for cutting and embossing. Will some of you veterans please advise?

TIA
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejas View Post
I am new here and brand new to paper. I THINK I have my heart set on a Big Shot and have been hunting to find the best deal but not sure what extras I will need with that initial purchase.

I will be using it for cutting and embossing. Will some of you veterans please advise?

TIA
I just got a Big Kick (same thing as Big Shot, only different color) on Saturday. I searched everyone for the cheapest possible deal. Amazon and Overstock.com came close at $66.99 BUT - Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupon this week, which made their's $60.00 with no shipping and no waiting. Plus I LOVE the color of the Big Kicks, it's periwinkle

Then, I needed dies and embossing folders right? So I ordered them from Joanns, who has them on sale right now with free shipping. The sale lasts until midnight tonight.

I've been asking questions like crazy here on SCS and everyone has been so kind and helpful.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #2086
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post

Then, I needed dies and embossing folders right? So I ordered them from Joanns, who has them on sale right now with free shipping. The sale lasts until midnight tonight.
Thanks so much! I've been doing my shopping too and you should check out the sizzix site. They have some really good bargains in their outlet section.

I'm doing something tonight just so I can get back to work. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #2087
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

TIA
Amazon and Overstock have the Big Shot for $63.99. Amazon is free shipping over $25; Overstock has free shipping today. They both offer the cutting pads and platform w/the Big Shot. I think that's a good price. You'll love this machine. There are other items you could get, but it sounds like you're just getting started so this is a good way to begin. And Joann's is always a good for folders and dies as is Michael's and Hobby Lobby w/their 40% coupons.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #2088
Rubber Obsessor

Alejas and SC Magnolia:

Since you're new to all this, if you'd like some links to other discount sites you might not have found yet to get the supplies for the Big Shot or Big Kick (yes, they are the same and the best in my opinion), just PM me and I'll send them to you. Don't know the rules about posting them in the forums, so I won't, but I have shopped them with good results and will give you the links if you'd like.

Last edited by Harmony60; 01-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: fix type
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #2089
Cardstock Collector

Sent you a PM Harmony60 and I just ordered my Big Shot and a few goodies at Overstock although I didn't get free shipping
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #2090
Crimping Master

Hi
I got my bigshot in sept 2010 i just love it since then i have been collecting spellbinders i cannot believe how much i have things i have brought in that time,my dh paid $169 for the bigshot here in Australia i just about cry out loud when isee. The prices you girls can get your bigshots &spellbinders
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony60 View Post
Alejas and SC Magnolia:

Since you're new to all this, if you'd like some links to other discount sites you might not have found yet to get the supplies for the Big Shot or Big Kick (yes, they are the same and the best in my opinion), just PM me and I'll send them to you. Don't know the rules about posting them in the forums, so I won't, but I have shopped them with good results and will give you the links if you'd like.
Thanks Melody, I'm PMing you right now
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #2092
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone heard when the solo platform wafer thin adaptor is going to be available? I use my spellbinders all the time and my original platform is looking pretty bad. There are bubbles in the lamination. I have had my Big Kick since they first came out so it has recieved a lot of wear. I don't want to get the platform until I can get the wafer adaptor as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #2093
Insane Embellisher

I purchased a Solo Wafer Thin Adapter this Fall. Below is the link to the Adapter. Now, this is just the thin adapter to use with the Solo Platform so I could use my Spellbinders. The Vintaj Big Kick wouldn't work without it.

Sizzix Accessory - Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter | Sizzix.com

My Big Kick came with an extra long base platform and two clear regular size plates. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliGirl View Post
I purchased a Solo Wafer Thin Adapter this Fall. Below is the link to the Adapter. Now, this is just the thin adapter to use with the Solo Platform so I could use my Spellbinders. The Vintaj Big Kick wouldn't work without it.

Sizzix Accessory - Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter | Sizzix.com

My Big Kick came with an extra long base platform and two clear regular size plates. Hope this helps.
I have a Spellbinders dies and they cut just fine.. I think... am I supposed to have one of these too? Or does the platform on a new machine accommodate for SB?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #2095
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I have a Spellbinders dies and they cut just fine.. I think... am I supposed to have one of these too? Or does the platform on a new machine accommodate for SB?
My Vintaj Big Kick did not come with the platform with tabs on it like all the previous Big Kicks and Big Shots. It only had the long milky white platform and two shorter clear plates as stated previously. So, when I tried to do Spellbinders it wouldn't cut them out. I posted on SCS and barbara jay and fionna51 were able to point me in the right direction.

The set that came with my Vintaj is called: Solo Platform and Shim.

If that is what you have, you are going to need to purchase the Solo Wafer Think Adapter to be able to cut Spellbinders.

Not to add more confusion, but it is my understanding that "they" are going to discontinue the tabbed platform and the new item will be this "Solo Platform and Shim." Maybe they will start packaging it with the Solo Wafer Adapter. It sure would make more sense.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #2096

Quote:
My Vintaj Big Kick did not come with the platform with tabs on it like all the previous Big Kicks and Big Shots. It only had the long milky white platform and two shorter clear plates as stated previously. So, when I tried to do Spellbinders it wouldn't cut them out. I posted on SCS and barbara jay and fionna51 were able to point me in the right direction.

The set that came with my Vintaj is called: Solo Platform and Shim.

If that is what you have, you are going to need to purchase the Solo Wafer Think Adapter to be able to cut Spellbinders.

Not to add more confusion, but it is my understanding that "they" are going to discontinue the tabbed platform and the new item will be this "Solo Platform and Shim." Maybe they will start packaging it with the Solo Wafer Adapter. It sure would make more sense.
I have a platform with two tabs and two clear cutting acrylic things. I have ordered a silicone texturz accessory and a texturz accessory- impression pad. Is that enough stuff
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #2097
Rubber Obsessor

Smile experiment a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzkreationz az View Post
Has anyone heard when the solo platform wafer thin adaptor is going to be available? I use my spellbinders all the time and my original platform is looking pretty bad. There are bubbles in the lamination. I have had my Big Kick since they first came out so it has recieved a lot of wear. I don't want to get the platform until I can get the wafer adaptor as well.
katzkreationz az, sc magnolia, ravioligirl,

I just put 1 or 2 pieces of cardstock (or manilla folder) on the thick white platform, then the first clear plate, then the thin dies and cardstock, then another clear plate. Experiment a little to see how much you need with whatever cardstock or paper you are trying to cut. You might save yourself a few bucks.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #2098
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I have a platform with two tabs and two clear cutting acrylic things. I have ordered a silicone texturz accessory and a texturz accessory- impression pad. Is that enough stuff
I think it sounds like you are all set.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #2099

Quote:
I think it sounds like you are all set.
Thanks Rav and Harmony!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #2100
Cardstock Collector

Question big shot thought

has anyone tried to use a stamp to emboss anything?:
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2101
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up big shot

when i first got mine and cut something out with a bigz die, it freaked me out because it cut into the clear pad. i thought that i did something wrong with it. and when i researched to find out if that was normal, no one talked about it. so i am here to let you know that it will cut into your clear pads. i have marked each pad, one for dies and one for embossing, hopefully that will save on the ware and tear of them and maybe they will last longer. you should also rotate the pads around, up and down also, as they will eventually bend. i have been told that they last for a long time. don't be like me and go and buy another set of pads. i bought a new one because i thought that i did something wrong. it is alot of fun, i really enjoy the embossing envelopes and the textured pads. i really like the textured pads more than the embossing envelopes. the only difference is that the texture pads emboss softer and the embossing folders have a crisp feel. anyway, enough of the blabber, enjoy and have fun.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #2102
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.queenbee View Post
My first thought is that you would also get an impression of the edge of the stamp. My second thought is that you would compress the foam. I'm not sure what effect that would have on the stamp itself.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #2103
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:
That's a great idea! Never thought of that!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #2104
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampingRealtor View Post
That's a great idea! Never thought of that!
If you think of the physics of raised embossing, you really need a hard mold to lay under the paper, then pressure put over the sandwich. I don't know of any hard stamps - in order for them to work as stamps they have to have some give or softness to be able to carry ink and apply it to paper.

I think the only way to emboss a stamp would be with embossing powder, un less you can figure out how to transfer the stamped image to a very solid material, then use it as the mold. In any of my art classes we always embossed over something solid.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #2105
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
when i first got mine and cut something out with a bigz die, it freaked me out because it cut into the clear pad. i thought that i did something wrong with it.
Me too! I had a friend over and we both "freaked out" LOL. Then I searched on Youtube and found out it was normal.

I still am having trouble with a few things wanting to fit and the pics on the plate aren't really helping. I a saw where someone had a black piece that it looked like you would use in place of the platform. Am I mistaken or is there something I should be shopping for?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #2106
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Me too! I had a friend over and we both "freaked out" LOL. Then I searched on Youtube and found out it was normal.

I still am having trouble with a few things wanting to fit and the pics on the plate aren't really helping. I a saw where someone had a black piece that it looked like you would use in place of the platform. Am I mistaken or is there something I should be shopping for?
If you look at the first post in the thread, there is a list of sandwiches. It will tell you what you need and what order to put it in depending on what you want to do. That's where I'd start. If you are not sure what something is, look up accessories on the Sizzix site and you should be able to find a description and picture. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #2107
Matboard Maniac

I accidently broke my cuttlebug and am thnking of buying a big shot. After watching the Scrap Time video, and seeing all the accessories and checking out the Sizzix web site, I am wondering what exactly comes in the box with a brand new machine?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #2108
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie007 View Post
I accidently broke my cuttlebug and am thnking of buying a big shot. After watching the Scrap Time video, and seeing all the accessories and checking out the Sizzix web site, I am wondering what exactly comes in the box with a brand new machine?
I just got mine last week from Overstock.

If you don't already have an Overstock account then register first and they will send you a discount coupon. I didn't know that and missed out.

Here is the description and it was cool to get the bonus
Includes:
Two (2) standard cutting pads
Multipurpose platform
Special bonus Sizzix Sizzlits die: "Scribbles Swirls" by Scrappy Cat (while supplies last)
All Sizzix components are compatible with the Big Shot Machine
Roller machine cuts everything from cardstock to fabric
"Thank You," flower, and card sample dies sold separately
Materials: Plastic
Dimensions: 18 inches wide x 12 inches high x 8 inches deep
Warranty: 3-year manufacturer's warranty
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #2109
Crimping Master

Subbing waiting on mine to ship from overstock
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #2110
Rubber Obsessor

Default Also trouble with the Large Doily Sizzlit from SU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTime2Stamp View Post
I just got my large doily Sizzlet die from SU... it's not cutting! The outside edge cuts about 3/4 the way around and the inside doesn't cut through the cardstock. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried adding shims and the Big Shot cut off some of the edge foam because it was too thick, and then I took out some and tried all kinds of combinations of shims and it still won't cut all the doily out. Maybe it's defective... does anyone else have a problem with this die? (BTW, I've been using the Big Shot for a VERY long time and am not a novice at this.) Let me know if anyone is having the same difficulty with this die. Thanks!

Did you get any help -- perhaps in a private message -- or from someone outside SCS? Mine will cut Designer Series Paper fine (using Tab 1 and no shims -- it is a "tight" fit but not forcing things). However, I am unable to cut regular cardstock at all (whisper white or any of the SU colors)...Tab 1 is not possible (forcing); with no tabs it will barely press into the cardstock. With no tabs and one shim of scrap cardstock the same size as the sizzlit base, it will press a little deeper but not enough to pop out even using a paper piercer to push the pieces; and with no tabs and a shim of 2 pieces of cardstock it would be forcing it to go through the Big Shot at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I know it is supposed to cut colored cardstock since even the Mini shows it (page 26).
Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #2111
Insane Embellisher

Default trouble with the Large Doily Sizzlit from SU

Ladies, I don't have that particular Sizzlit yet, but I do have several from another source. I use a piece of metal flashing as a shim and haven't had any problems cutting them out. You might also try turning the sizzlet in a different direction and run through again. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #2112
Rubber Obsessor

I had similar issues with the large doily. Tried all sorts of things. It would cut half and not the other half. Cut the outside and not the inside. I called Stampin Up and they told me that some Big Shots just weren't cutting the dies properly. I elected to try another one and the same thing happened so I sent it back and gave up. It upset me because I really can't sell something I can't demonstrate. And I really didn't want to sell it after that considering my customer might have the same problem as I had. Sad because I really liked the doily.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #2113
Polyshrink Goddess

I am having troubles with the paper splitting (cutting through) when I try to emboss.
I'm using a Paper Studios (Hobby Lobby) embossing folder
Sandwich is MPP base, cutting plate, folder (with regular cardstock), cutting plate - wouldn't go through with silicone mat

Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #2114
Mad Swapper

Try using 'no tabs' on the MPP.

MPP - no tabs
Acrylic plate
EF with one layer of C/S
Acrylic plate
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #2115
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post

MPP - no tabs
Acrylic plate
EF with one layer of C/S
Acrylic plate
It ripped through without the tabs. I'm wondering if I should just run it through replacing the top acrylic plate with an embossing mat? I wonder if the mat will cause problems with the roller though. Hmmm...dilemma.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #2116
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Embossing Folder problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post

MPP - no tabs
Acrylic plate
EF with one layer of C/S
Acrylic plate
It ripped through without the tabs. I'm wondering if I should just run it through replacing the top acrylic plate with an embossing mat? I wonder if the mat will cause problems with the roller though. Hmmm...dilemma.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #2117
Stampin' Fool

I have been looking for some standard cutting pads for my big shot. Every place I look is out of stock. They have all the other cutting pads, I wonder why this is complete gone everywhere. Anyone have an idea what is going on with the standard cutting pads?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #2118
Crimping Master

Hi
I took my big shot plates to a acrylic or perspex company he made me new plates &they were cheaper at least here in Australia than the craft shop
Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #2119
Stampin' Fool

Joann.com has them on sale for $5.99.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #2120
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
Joann.com has them on sale for $5.99.
Every time I try they are out of stock. It doesn't show out of stock until you try to add it to your cart. I found some at Hallmark Scrapbooking.