Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #2001
Glitter Guru

Question Questions about Sizzix Textured Impressions folders

I already have a 3 year old Cuttlebug and are thinking about getting a Big Shot but I have a little question about ef's (sorry if this has already been asked before).

I have a number of Sizzix Textured Impressions embossing folders but when I run them through my Cuttlebug using the usual ef sandwich with my usual weight cardstock, the embossing is so deep that it almost tears the cardstock and leaves marks. I have tried many different things which other cardmakers have recommended, but I am still not happy with the results eg: different sandwiches, lighter weight cardstock, take away one B plate and add shims, spraying the cardstock beforehand with water/rubbing alcohol, etc etc. Of course, I don't have the same problem with CB ef's - it just the Sizzix ones especially when it has an intricate pattern - and my CB has certainly "loosened" up in the 3 years I have had it so I doubt it will loosen up any more.

My question is this: does the same thing happen with these Sizzix ef's in the Big Shot or does it just happen in the Cuttlebug? At the end of the day, I just want to be able to run an embossing folder through a machine using any of my regular weight cardstock and not have to think too hard about - I just want it to work and move on IYKWIM

Jocelyn

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #2002
Cardstock Collector

Red face reply to Jocelyn

Jocelyn,

I run Provocraft dies through my cuttlebug and they curl. But they don't through my Big Shot.

Because of the large platform used by the Bigshot, I think there is a deeper opening. You could create a shorter/thinner platform in wood or cardboard and keep sandwiching until you got the right pressure.

I had a problem with the Spellbinders in Big Shot -- they wouldn't emboss -- until I made my own sandwich combo.

Later I'll try to measure the depth, just caught your message on my way somewhere.

Cara
carascreativecorner.wordpress.com
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #2003
Glitter Guru

Thanks so much for replying Cara - I really appreciate it I feel a little dumb asking since the Sizzix Textured Impressions ef's are the same brand as the Big Shot - but I don't want to buy the Big Shot and still have the same problem.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #2004
Cardstock Collector

I haven't used a cuttlebug, but it sounds like the sandwich just needs to be altered a little. I have the sizzix & don't seem to have that problem. However, somtimes I have add some lightweight cardstock or heavier ones to make some dies work the way I want them. no silly questions. If there are, I have to be the silliest one out here.. rulerqueen
Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #2005
Gallery Gazer

I've used both cb embossing folders, and Sizzix embossing folders in my Big Shot. So far, I have not had any problems at all (and I've had it for probably 3 years). I had a CB, and sold it after buying the BS. I just like the setup better.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #2006
Glitter Guru

Thanks lynnwithane and rulerqueen for your replies.

I have struggled with altering the sandwich in my CB as I seem to end up with a much less deep embossing which looks blah - like there just isn't enough pressure - can't seem to find a happy medium. Good to know that so far, no-one is having the same problem with the Big Shot - and I guess if lots of people were having that problem, there would be lots of people would have been posting about it.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #2007
Matboard Maniac

I get some with my more detailed embossing plates, but then I like a deep emboss so I tighten up my sandwich. If you aren't trying for that crisp look like you get with the CB folders, then you wouldn't have that problem. But then you wouldn't have that problem with your CB either if you used the looser sandwich.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #2008
Watercolor Wizard

I am really impressed with the customer service I received today from Sizzix! The handle on my Big Shot snapped off. I purchased it from Joann's online 16 months ago. I found the receipt, which shocked me. They had me fax the receipt with my address and a short note about the problem. The rep said she would send out the new handle as soon as she receives the fax.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #2009
Glitter Guru

Wow - that's great customer service! It's always good to know there is back-up and support when something goes wrong even when it's some time after you originally bought the machine.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #2010
Insane Embellisher

Question HELP with Big Shot PRO!

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the "sandwich" recipes for using Spellbinder dies with the Big Shot PRO? I don't have the multi-purpose platform (the one with the tabs) as it is no longer available to purchase. I think I have purchased every possible mat and adapter, so it there is a list of recipes for this machine I likely have the platforms and mats I would need!!!

Last edited by Chantsie; 09-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Added title.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2011
Pearl-ExPert

The sizzle site still advertise the platform for sale for 19.99, although I see you live in Canada so maybe the shipping would be expensive for you.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #2012
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
The sizzle site still advertise the platform for sale for 19.99, although I see you live in Canada so maybe the shipping would be expensive for you.
They won't ship to Canada, you have to order from a Canadian retailer, but the ones I have contacted are sold out and have been unable to get them from Sizzix.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #2013
Compulsive Stamper

Hello, everyone! I'm new to die-cutting and embossing, and just recently purchased a Big Shot. Anyway, the deal is I find the embossing frames and the die cuts rather expensive. What do you do? The thing is I wanna have a lot, if not all, of the dies since they might be helpful for future projects. But like what I said, they're not exactly cheap. Does anyone here have some kind of business where you sell what you've made? I'm thinking of doing that just so I can get my money's worth on each die or frame I'm going to buy. Will appreciate any reply, thanks very much!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #2014
Rubber Obsessor

Sizzix has Tuesday Teasers and an Outlet store that have some very good deals. I also use 40% off coupons at Michaels, and JoAnnes. Hobby Lobby is now carrying Sizzix and you can use the 40% coupon there as well. I don't know of any sites other than ebay that sell die cuts.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #2015
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantsie View Post
I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the "sandwich" recipes for using Spellbinder dies with the Big Shot PRO? I don't have the multi-purpose platform (the one with the tabs) as it is no longer available to purchase. I think I have purchased every possible mat and adapter, so it there is a list of recipes for this machine I likely have the platforms and mats I would need!!!
Sizzix released a new platform for use with the Pro and wafer dies. It is part number 657435 and is available direct from Sizzix HERE. This is a 3 piece set so you can use any brand wafer dies, Sizzlits and embossing folders in the Pro. This would be ideal because then you could use the Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities with your Pro too.

Hope this helps!
Katie
Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #2016
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzkreationz az View Post
Sizzix has Tuesday Teasers and an Outlet store that have some very good deals. I also use 40% off coupons at Michaels, and JoAnnes. Hobby Lobby is now carrying Sizzix and you can use the 40% coupon there as well. I don't know of any sites other than ebay that sell die cuts.
Scrap-Mart.com carries Sizzix as well. They discount their merchandise off regular retail AND you get free shipping with no minimum order on die cutting stuff all the time!! Also, if you sign up for their email newsletter you can get a 40% off coupon code once a month.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #2017
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by roclesgirl View Post
Scrap-Mart.com carries Sizzix as well. They discount their merchandise off regular retail AND you get free shipping with no minimum order on die cutting stuff all the time!! Also, if you sign up for their email newsletter you can get a 40% off coupon code once a month.
Thanks very much! Sizzix doesn't ship to Canada so I can't order directly from them, so Scrap-Mart would probably work!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #2018
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks very much! Sizzix doesn't ship to Canada so I can't order directly from them, so Scrap-Mart would probably work!
I love this thread and have received so much help here!

I just figured (especially after reading about Sizzix not shipping to Canada) that I'd let you all know I am doing a blog giveaway right now for some Sizzix and Spellbinders stuff. Funny thing: I love Nestabilities so much that I actually ordered the same set of dies twice! Ugggh! I hate when I do that! So, I decided they would make great blog candy I added some Sizzix dies and papers, too. If you're interested, check it out. The only thing I am asking is that you have a shipping address to either the U.S. or Canada, as shipping costs elsewhere are just waaaay too high! Thanks for understanding
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #2019
Matboard Maniac

For cheap prices, check out scrapbuck.com. Edgeabilities, borderabilities at $10. Just heard of them myself, so I haven't tried them yet.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #2020
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Hello, I am new to SCS, I have the big shot pro quilters edition and I bought it and all of my supplies from stitch in the ditch in B.C. She has amazing prices and cutomer service that can't be beat. She sells and ships all over Canada, the U.S, Austrailia, you name it. Lol.
If you still haven't found what you need you can contact her and see if she has it. She does have a FB page.
I hope this helps.
Jos
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #2021
Forum Fanatic

OMG. I have never seen any store of any kind spammed more than stitch in the ditch. It is spammed on every single email list I'm on and just about every board I go to (quilting and apparently non quilting). All of this is making me vow to never ever go to that site and certainly never spend a penny there. I would pay higher prices than go to a shop that encourages its customers to continually spam people all the time.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #2022
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
OMG. I have never seen any store of any kind spammed more than stitch in the ditch. It is spammed on every single email list I'm on and just about every board I go to (quilting and apparently non quilting). All of this is making me vow to never ever go to that site and certainly never spend a penny there. I would pay higher prices than go to a shop that encourages its customers to continually spam people all the time.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome to split coast stampers Gale. I did not realize that by offering a suggestion for a fellow Canadian that I was spamming the boards.
As that was my first post since I joined this afternoon, I apologize for trying to help. I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to mention that store.
I like to tell people about different companies and such that I have gotten good service from because it is sometimes difficult to find good deals in Canada since a lot of places won't ship north of the border.
I will make sure to tell my friends about my fabulous experience since joining this site.
Have a good night and stay crafty
Jos
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #2023
Forum Fanatic

Well you're allowed to mention the store (I'm assuming) but it just shocks me that I see this store name every.single.place I go. I'm not kidding. It's been on the quilt boards, the quilt email groups, the sizzix email groups, the accuquilt email groups...and on and on. And almost 100% of the time it's from a brand new poster or one who barely ever posts. For example on the quilt board, a person has 17 posts and 16 of them mention stitch in the ditch's website. Sorry if I offended you but seriously, I see this one store more often than all other stores combined.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #2024
Glitter Queen

Hi--I recently purchased a Big Shot and have a question. Of course I know that the clear acrylic cutting pad gets badly scratched from the dies. I'm finding that the scratches are getting transferred to the cardstock when I emboss. I tried adding an extra layer of cardstock under the clear pad to protect the one Im cutting, but I found I wasn't getting as clean of a cut. What can be done to prevent this problem?? Does anyone have a solution? I hate having a messed up die cut that shows scatches from the acrylic pad!

Last edited by MJOK; 09-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #2025
Gabfest Goddess

I think it is time to replace your cutting pad. They don't last forever. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #2026
Glitter Queen

Default scratches on acrylic pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy H View Post
I think it is time to replace your cutting pad. They don't last forever. . .
I JUST purchased the Big Shot! The pads scrach when dies are cut--it would be impractical to keep replacing them whenever you cut a die!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #2027
Glitter Queen

I just wrote this somewhere else so it may appear twice.. Anyway--I JUST purchased the Big Shot---have only used it for a few days. However the dies have scratched the pad--which I know is normal. Am wondering if there's a way around the scratches transferring to the cs. I just got the stuff---can't replace them this soon!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #2028
Matboard Maniac

Are you placing the good side facing the die so that the marks are on the back where they won't be seen? Also, I have four plates labelled: bottom, embossing, cutting, and nesties. This cuts down the wear and tear from the dies and nesties. Dies aren't too bad, but nesties can make a very deep mark, so they have their own plates.

Note: I do not follow the Sizzix recommended sandwich for nesties. From the bottom up I go: MPP tab 2, bottom plate, nestie facing up, cardstock good side down, nestie plate. I flip my nestie plate around to get better wear (ie end for end), but it is always against the cardstock and cutting edge of the die.

Last edited by dogzruleca; 09-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: added my sandwich
Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #2029
Stazon Splitcoast

MJOK - Try a piece of typing paper between your die and cutting pad. Also, if you use the "opposite" side of the diecut on your project, it shouldn't be noticeable. You should see my cutting pads!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #2030
Glitter Queen

Thanks a bunch dogzrule and lindylou. I'll try the typing paper until I get a couple other plates and then get them labeled for use!! I appreciate the tech advice!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #2031
Gabfest Goddess

OOPS. I just assumed. . . sorry. No, they should of course last longer

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #2032
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to LaurieR
Default Cuttlebug Embossing Plus

Hi everyone!

Today at Joann's I used my 50% off coupon to buy a Cuttlebug Embossing Plus folder. It cuts & embosses. However...I cannot figure out by the pictures which side to place up. I know I'm a dork. This shouldn't be difficult, and it was probably already addressed somewhere. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Operation Write Home
Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #2033
Crimping Master

You Tube has several good videos on how these work. They really helped me.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #2034
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to LaurieR

Thank you! I just found one. I appreciate the quick response!
Operation Write Home
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #2035
Kookie Creator

hello:

new here as i have avoided such machines before! (cost!!) - but am about to take the plunge!! . just want to ask, ....any comparisons between BS and CB??? any pros/cons of each? i have heard CB gives a nicer (stronger) emboss, but then that goes against some stuff here. ...hoping for some 'wisdom' as i enter this new arena! thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #2036
Rubber Obsessor

CB takes up less space, is nice for taking to crops, but for me (and this is just my opinion) the BS is more durable. I use the CB embossing folders in my BS all the time and have never had any problems with getting a strong embossing. The only embossing problem I had is once I got a folder that the emboss was not as deep on bottom as it was on the top. I took the folder back and had no problem with the exchange, and the new folder did not have the same defect.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #2037
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I love my CB, doesn't take up too much room and fits nicely into my totebag for crop nights. I use all brands of dies and folders in my CB, never have a problem, I love the clean cut it gives when using dies from My Favorite Things and also Cheery Lynn dies (really thin metal). BUT, if my craft buddy was reading this she will say exactly the same thing about her BigShot. Not much help, was I. LOL
Old 10-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #2038
Stampin' Fool

I have both machines and don't find any difference. The Bug is more convenient because of it's size. That's the only difference I can see.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #2039
Forum Fanatic

JulieHRR has a comparison on her blog. She prefers the big shot. I had both and sold the cuttlebug. I couldn't get it to stick consistently on my table.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #2040
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both and am keeping both. I have the cuttlebug but had some issues with some of the Tim Holtz products. I LOVE the cuttlebug for spellbinders and portablility. Big shot is great for some of tha larger A2 folders cause the platform is longer....my 2cents