Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 11-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #1801
Proud Fan Club Member

I've never seen a Big Shot at Michael's. You could use a coupon if they have them, but all I've seen there is the Big Kick and Cuttlebug machines.
Alphabet Challenge Week 7
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #1802
Stazon Splitcoast

To anyone considering a die cutting machine: I was at the Sizzix warehouse sale over the weekend. They had demonstrations going on, and although I have the SU! model Big Shot, I was tempted by both the electric one and the Tim Holtz machine, as well.
I could not believe their prices on them, so I actually decided to get a 2nd machine. This will be good for when I have friends over, or do workshops. Also, I am always in fear of something happening to my BS, and I know I'd be devastated, lol! I LOVE it and could not be without it for long. I'd hate to have to buy one all of a sudden and pay top dollar. So, that being said I just had to choose.
I ended up with a Big Kick. Although I loved the ease of the electronic, even with the discounted price, I felt the basic one is still fine. And, they told me that everything I had read on this thread about the Big Shot and the Big Kick really being the *same* machine is true. The red and white one was the cheapest one but I splurged a little more and got a cute pink one
My point of all this is, that if you find one at a good price, I say grab a Big Kick since even the Ellison factory pros say it is the "same" machine. If you don't care about price, then what the heck- go for the electronic if you wish. Bottom line- just get SOMEthing, lol. I can not imagine being without either a Big Shot or Big Kick (or Tim Holt'z). I never realized how much I was going to love mine until I really started using it. I think it is my favorite and most used item in my stamp room. Well, next only to my scissors or paper cutter, probably

I just want to thank all of you for all the helpful info you continue to provide here. I can not tell you what a wonderful resource this has been for me. I find myself coming here and referencing it all the time!
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #1803
Insane Embellisher

FYI----Did some research on this thread and read that it's ok to cut chipboard with my BS, so I got brave and gave it a try...it worked like a dream. Wow...I love my BS even more now!

Thanks for this thread and the wealth of information that is here!
Bonnie
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #1804
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellegirl View Post
FYI----Did some research on this thread and read that it's ok to cut chipboard with my BS, so I got brave and gave it a try...it worked like a dream. Wow...I love my BS even more now!

Thanks for this thread and the wealth of information that is here!
Bonnie
Isn't that great?!
I know what you mean- every time I try something new with it I am even happier with it
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #1805
Die Cut Diva

I now officially a member of the club My Big Shot was delivered from JoAnns on Monday.

Thanks to everyone who has been giving such good info for the past few years. Yes - I actually read every post up through the end of last year and quite a few of the more recent ones.
Alicia - you are an angel! How do you keep from beating people on the head with a stick?
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #1806
Cardstock Collector

Can I use the spellbinders in stampin' Up's big shot? The directions are for the blue or black & pink. I thought it sounded like I should follow the directions for the black & pink but wasn't sure and didn't want to ruin my big shot. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #1807
Die Cut Diva

A Big Shot is a Big Shot. I have the black & pink which is the same as yours except mine doesn't say SU! anywhere on it.
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #1808
Stampin' Fool

There are directions on the Spellbinder dies as to how they work in the Big Shot.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Unread 12-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #1809
Proud Fan Club Member

My Big Shot, purchased through SU, does spellbinders nestabilities just wonderful. I think the directions on the die says to place the die directly on the multipurpose platform with cutting edge up, then place paper over it and then two acrylic cutting plates. If you run it through again using the rubber pieces it will emboss as well. Remember to keep the cutting edge up or you will press it into the MPP.

Last edited by muscrat; 12-03-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Adding a sentence
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #1810
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
My Big Shot, purchased through SU, does spellbinders nestabilities just wonderful. I think the directions on the die says to place the die directly on the multipurpose platform with cutting edge up, then place paper over it and then two acrylic cutting plates. If you run it through again using the rubber pieces it will emboss as well. Remember to keep the cutting edge up or you will press it into the MPP.
I've never understood why they have two plates on the top. I've always placed one on top of the MPP and one at the top of the sandwich. It doesn't matter how I adjust the inside of the sandwich that way and the bottom plate protects my MPP from accidents, sharp corners or anything else that might go wrong.
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #1811
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogzruleca View Post
I've never understood why they have two plates on the top. I've always placed one on top of the MPP and one at the top of the sandwich. It doesn't matter how I adjust the inside of the sandwich that way and the bottom plate protects my MPP from accidents, sharp corners or anything else that might go wrong.
I wondered the same thing myself, as I had been doing it your way all along until I read the package one day. I think the hard plastic being two layers thick cuts cleaner, and I am thinking it may help cut some difficult dies. Anyone having trouble cutting through with the Fleur De Lis dies? I have to run mine through at least three times. Maybe my cardstock is too thick? Can't remember what I was using the one time I did it so I'll have to try again.
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #1812
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I wondered the same thing myself, as I had been doing it your way all along until I read the package one day. I think the hard plastic being two layers thick cuts cleaner, and I am thinking it may help cut some difficult dies. Anyone having trouble cutting through with the Fleur De Lis dies? I have to run mine through at least three times. Maybe my cardstock is too thick? Can't remember what I was using the one time I did it so I'll have to try again.
I have no problem with my Fleur De Lis die. I do now always have a pad between my MPP and my die as I have some sharp edges on some spellbinders and have almost ruined my MPP. You will never guess what I want for Christmas. My spellbinders cut just fine with one below the die and one above.
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #1813
Stampin' Fool

I used my Fleur De Lis die today with some cheap WalMart card stock and had to run it through the machine 5 times before it cut through. I won't be using that one very often.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #1814
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcards View Post
I used my Fleur De Lis die today with some cheap WalMart card stock and had to run it through the machine 5 times before it cut through. I won't be using that one very often.
I thought maybe it was just me. I have run mine through four or five times too, but my cardstock was thick so I thought maybe that was the problem. It is also hard punching out the little specks on that die. I think I am going to try two plates on that one just to see if it helps.
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #1815
Embossing Fanatic

so......did it help?
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #1816
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsnana View Post
so......did it help?
If you are talking to me, no, it didn't help. Just ran it through three times with both plates on top and it still hasn't cut through enough to come out of the die. Changed it to one plate on top and one on bottom and ran it through again. Still not through. Tried moving the Tabs, but havent' come up with a good sandwich. Anyone else???
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #1817
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
If you are talking to me, no, it didn't help. Just ran it through three times with both plates on top and it still hasn't cut through enough to come out of the die. Changed it to one plate on top and one on bottom and ran it through again. Still not through. Tried moving the Tabs, but havent' come up with a good sandwich. Anyone else???
I would contact Spellbinders customer service. I have'nt had any problem with mine cutting the first time through.
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1818
Embossing Fanatic

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. My dh said I could get a big shot but not sure of the difference between the big shot and big shot pro. Can some maybe help me with this. This will be my first purchase of a die cut machine
thanks so much
debbie
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #1819
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I used both plates and a chipboard shim ( 12x12 folded twice).

Unread 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #1820
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcards View Post
I used both plates and a chipboard shim ( 12x12 folded twice).
I will give that a try but I don't have chipboard to use as a shim. Next time I get out to ACM (probably soon!). Thanks. And to katzkreationz az, I did send an email earlier today. Hoping to hear from them soon.
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #1821
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, Muscrat, I was talking to you. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Too bad it's not working out for you.
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #1822
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsnana View Post
Yes, Muscrat, I was talking to you. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Too bad it's not working out for you.
I tried the suggestion of a shim and that worked with the smaller square in the Fleur de Lis die set. Haven't tried it yet with the large one. I didn't have chipboard so I used a bad sheet of cardstock. When I folded it twice it was too thick so I just folded it once and used it as a shim. Only had to run that smaller one through one time so I am hoping the same will happen with the larger one. Will try that tomorrow as it is late. I am still waiting to hear back from Spellbinders. I imagine they won't respond over the weekend at all.
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #1823
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I will give that a try but I don't have chipboard to use as a shim. Next time I get out to ACM (probably soon!). Thanks. And to katzkreationz az, I did send an email earlier today. Hoping to hear from them soon.
I used the backing from a pkg of DSP.

Unread 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #1824
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The big shot pro is about 12" wide and the big shot is somewhere around 6 or 7. If I had my choice (and the space), I would get the pro.
thank you appreciate the info
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #1825
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie jean View Post
thank you appreciate the info
sometimes just a piece of a cereal box or something like that can work. Experiment.
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #1826
Gabfest Goddess

That's why I don't throw the cardboard away that might otherwise be trash. Pantyhose, cereal box, cardboard package (tear off one side, throw away the rest), toys, on, and on. This way you get a variety of thicknesses for a shim.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #1827
Cardstock Collector

I just got a big shot for Christmas and used a spellbinder die cut in it. Are they supposed to cut into the acrylic mat or am I doing it wrong? Hopefully this question hasn't been asked too many times already.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #1828
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, they will cut into the acryllic plates. That's okay. You will eventually replace those plates. Just make sure the cutting edge is facing up. You don't want to cut into the multipurpose platform (the thicker base with the tabs.) When cutting spellbinders you should place the die first, then the cardstock and then put both acryllic mats on top. Sometimes you have to add a shim, depending on what die you are cutting.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #1829
Proud Fan Club Member

They also sometimes make cracking noises. My newest plates sound terrible! But they work fine. I have replaced plates three times since buying mine. I use 40-50% off at ACMoore or Michaels and get them for about $5.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #1830
Cardstock Collector

THANKS! The sound scared me so I had to make sure I wasn't breaking them.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #1831
Proud Fan Club Member

You're Welcome! It scared me the first time too!
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #1832
Stazon Splitcoast

subbing to read and also saying thanks for all the work you ladies have put into it.
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #1833
Stazon Splitcoast

Yay for all the ladies getting new BIG SHOTS!!! I really think it is my favorite thing in my stamp room! But, had it not been for all the help I have received from this thread, I really don't think I would have dine all that much with it. You all have provided a wealth of information here and I THANK YOU so much!!!

I went to the Sizzix warehouse sale last month and I actually bought a Big Kick just for a back up. I had this fear that something might happen to my beloved Big Shot and I would be forced to buy one in a hurry and have to pay full retail. They told me the Big Kick really is the "same machine", so since they had such good prices I picked one up. I thought my DH might not have been too happy, but when I started to mention the prices (before I actually confessed), he said "go back and get one!" Even he knows I'd be lost without mine!
The crazy thing about this: just days later part of my BS handle broke off. It's not a big deal, but it keeps happening. Every time it does, I just remind myself not to worry because I have my back up. Seriously- I don't think I could handle being without one. Isn't it the best little machine?!

Now for my latest question:
I saw a demonstration of an adorable little box made using the Extra Long Scoreboards Die "Box with Scallop Flap & Flowers". I just had to have it! But, of course they did not have them at the sale So, I came home and ordered it online. Anyway, I am hoping someone here may be able to help me out. The demonstrator used mat board. Is there a special sandwich for when you use something of that thickness?

Thanks again ladies, for continuing with all the great info and help given here!!

Happy die cutting to all you new BS owners!!
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #1834
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrecker View Post
THANKS! The sound scared me so I had to make sure I wasn't breaking them.
I remember the first time I used the Cuttlebug and cut into the plate. Freaked me out! Thought I did something wrong. Haha! Now it has thousands of cuts (not really) and still going strong.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #1835
Compulsive Stamper

Ok so I am sure this has been asked many times, so humor me, 'cos it didn't apply to me until an old customer has resurfaced with $ to spend. Can someone tell me (or point me in the direction of info on) which of the big shot dies will work in the old red sizzix? I know the bigz xl do not, but she is particularly interested in embossing folders/texturz plates, and I couldn't see any reason why they would not be OK but wanted to be sure.
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #1836
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcatie View Post
Ok so I am sure this has been asked many times, so humor me, 'cos it didn't apply to me until an old customer has resurfaced with $ to spend. Can someone tell me (or point me in the direction of info on) which of the big shot dies will work in the old red sizzix? I know the bigz xl do not, but she is particularly interested in embossing folders/texturz plates, and I couldn't see any reason why they would not be OK but wanted to be sure.

The Embossing Folders, embosslits, sizzlits (except probably the longer strip ones unless you are cool with sliding them through) and Original dies will work. The Bigz of any length and the Texturz plates don't fit...too wide same with the new letterpress plates. That's all assuming the customer has the magnetic conversion plate that allows you to use the thinner dies and folders.
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #1837
Compulsive Stamper

Default Big Shot Locking Up?

Hi Everyone,

I have a Big Shot and was letting a woman use it at a crop today, when the handle just locked up. I've taken the handle off and tried turning the gears without it, but it won't move. I put the handle back on, but it's just plain stuck. Has anyone had this issue? And if yes, how did you fix it? My next step is to take it apart. I'm kinda disappointed. She was only cutting out cardstock, nothing major and the machine is not even 6 months old. Not exactly good advertising for my business! Thank you in advance for any help!!

Tracy
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #1838
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipskeyMom View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a Big Shot and was letting a woman use it at a crop today, when the handle just locked up. I've taken the handle off and tried turning the gears without it, but it won't move. I put the handle back on, but it's just plain stuck. Has anyone had this issue? And if yes, how did you fix it? My next step is to take it apart. I'm kinda disappointed. She was only cutting out cardstock, nothing major and the machine is not even 6 months old. Not exactly good advertising for my business! Thank you in advance for any help!!

Tracy
I wouldn't recommend taking it apart. Demo Support told a couple of other demo's that doing so would void the warranty. Give SU a call on Monday and with luck they'll get a new Big Shot out to you ASAP. A few who did take things apart reported a broken gear/tooth was at the root of the problem so likely a new one is the answer. Luckily the Big Shot has a 3 year warranty.
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #1839
Rubber Obsessor

Default big shot

Wow this seems to happen a lot.

This is really making me think about having an alternative for when something happens to mine. Granted I am not using it every day, but when I do get there, it would terrible to be without it. I love what it does. At this time they have the cuttlebug on sale but have been told that our dies would not work in it. If wrong, please someone let me know. Thanks
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #1840
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonni View Post
Wow this seems to happen a lot.

This is really making me think about having an alternative for when something happens to mine. Granted I am not using it every day, but when I do get there, it would terrible to be without it. I love what it does. At this time they have the cuttlebug on sale but have been told that our dies would not work in it. If wrong, please someone let me know. Thanks
You are correct: the CB is a great little machine, IMO, BUT... the Bigz dies are too large for it.
I have both and still use my CB, mostly for the impressions folders. I use my BS a LOT more! And, the Bigz dies seem to be my faves.

Like you, I was afraid of being stuck suddenly if something went wrong with my Big Shot, so I bought a Big Kick as a back up. I got it at the Sizzix warehouse sale super cheap. The Big Kick is exactly the same machine mechanically. So, maybe if you see a BS or a Big Kick on sale at a really good price, you might want to grab one. Just my opinion, anyway.