Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #441
Crimping Master

Send a message via MSN to BBStampin

I knew you ladies would come to the rescue. Thank you for all the help. I will try this all again tomorrow. You it's funny I didn't have any touble with the scallop envelope. It came out perfect. The basket isn't a complete cut through but close I guess it might just depend on what batch the die blades are cut in or mounted in the foam in. Others have trouble with the scallop envy and others don't have any trouble with the baskets. Could make you shake your head and wonder .... hmmmmmmm. But I certainly do appreciate all the input. If push comes to shove I will buy another crease pad and go from there. I just really want to get the first basket made and go from there to fine tune it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #442
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to TinaG604

Does anyone feel like they have to apply excessive force to get their sandwich through the BS? LOL (Oh that looks funny!) Bigshot is what I mean, of course! LOL Seems I have to really push the sandwich to get it thru but when I watch videos it seems no one else is pushing that hard. Am I doing something wrong?

Designer for GINA K DESIGNS
My Blog: My Studio
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take;
but by the moments that take your breath away."
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #443
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaG604 View Post
Does anyone feel like they have to apply excessive force to get their sandwich through the BS? LOL (Oh that looks funny!) Bigshot is what I mean, of course! LOL Seems I have to really push the sandwich to get it thru but when I watch videos it seems no one else is pushing that hard. Am I doing something wrong?
I find I really have to push down when I use the extended pads
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #444
Kookie Creator

Hi everyone! I am jumping in because I just ordered my Su! Big Shot last week, and it should be here Tues. So, I want to have all the Big Shot knowledge I can have.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #445
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The instructions I have (not sure where I got them) say to put the die cutting edge up right on the MPP. I have been doing that but am nervous so after reading what you do, I think I will start using one plate below the die. I think I saw it on that inky something blog. Indigo something.
The spellbinders sandwich stack "without" the magnetic pad says you should put the die directly on the MPP. I use a magnetic placement mat when I cut with my nesties. It keeps them from moving around when I'm rolling them through the machine.

I've also seen that sandwich posted on Ellen Hutson's Blog as well so I'm sure it's a non issue if you don't use a magnetic placement mat with your dies.

That's what I meant when I said I don't put them on the MPP directly. I'm sure the sandwich would be fine but I've always used a pad beneath it so they never rest on the MPP anyway. Clear as mud?
HTH

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #446
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to mastersdegree

Okay, so from what I am reading, even though I have a cuttlebug, I would get a lot of use from the Big Shot. Trying to decide whether or not to buy one with the Michael's coupon this week. I did order one of the BigShot dies from my SU demo. She said it works just fine with the Cuttlebug. Do those of you who have both find that you use them enough to justify the purchase? Just trying to make my money go as far as possible! Thanks!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #447
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I was one of the reluctant buyers of the Big Shot. I have a Wizard and thought that would be enough, but I couldn't get the Basket and Bloom die to cut really well in the Wizard, since it was so long. I am so happy that I did buy the Big Shot. It is much easier to use the Sizzix dies in the Big Shot, compared to the Wizard. The sandwiches are just easier to roll through. I have to admit that I still like the Wizard for the Wizard dies and the Cuttlebug dies. They seem to have a "sharper" cut than the Big Shot, but that could be just my imagination. For the Sizzix dies though, it cuts like a dream. I don't regret having both of the machines.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #448
Polyshrink Goddess

I got my big shot from SU after deciding to sell my CB. I'm in love with the big shot and have been able to use all my dies/emboss folders (all brands) with it. The best part is that it stays put and I don't have to always push the flaps of the CB down to hold it in place. The big shot is much more sturdy to me. Thank you, Alicia, for all your help! I'm in stampin' heaven.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #449
Rubber Obsessor

Default Quick Question

So the top note die for the Big Shot is NOT compatible with the red sizzix machine? (I have the red machine....don't want to buy the new one if I don't have to.)
Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #450
Forum Fanatic

No the top note die will not fit in the red sizzix.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #451
Cardstock Collector

This is an awesome site with lots of great info. I tried going to the Scrapbook.com You tube site to view some videos about the Big Shot. Does it usually take forever for the video to load & start or am I doing something wrong? ( It wouldn't be the first time I was computer challenged. )
Old 11-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #452
Forum Fanatic

It's working normally for me. Do you have a slow connection? If not maybe your ISP is slow right now for some reason.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #453
Cardstock Collector

Thanks. Not sure what the problem is. I'll keep trying.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #454
Kookie Creator

I couldn't seem to find the answer....and it's quite possible I'm blind...

Can we use Cuddlekids dies in the Big Shot? And if so how?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #455
Pearl-ExPert

i asked this too. and yes, it's possible. just use as a wafer thin die, on the very top of the multipurpose platform. the top of the platform has the sandwich directions.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #456
Kookie Creator

subscribing
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #457
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I'm glad I didn't get the pennant die. It would bug me to have a crease down the middle of the finished shape.
i just got my Pennant die the other day and that line that come from folding you cs in half really bugs me makes everything you make ugly using that die

i was surfing here to see if i could find a way to make that go away
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #458
Matboard Maniac

Ok. I have a question. I saw the same question but didn't see answer although I may have missed the answer.

How long do the dies stay sharp and when do you have to replace? I have the snowflake #2. I was told it was SU when I traded but it is not and the middle part doesn't cut thru more than 2 sheets at a time. Please help so I know.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #459
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
The spellbinders sandwich stack "without" the magnetic pad says you should put the die directly on the MPP. I use a magnetic placement mat when I cut with my nesties. It keeps them from moving around when I'm rolling them through the machine.

I've also seen that sandwich posted on Ellen Hutson's Blog as well so I'm sure it's a non issue if you don't use a magnetic placement mat with your dies.

That's what I meant when I said I don't put them on the MPP directly. I'm sure the sandwich would be fine but I've always used a pad beneath it so they never rest on the MPP anyway. Clear as mud?
HTH

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
There's a magnetic mat for the nesties? How do I not know this? I gotta wake up a little more and start reading!

HOW COOL! I have to get one of those. I hate how my Nesties slip and slide. Where do you buy it - from Spellbinders?

I have those 8.5"x11" magnetic sheets for the computer printer, to make magnets. Do you think those would work? I don't want to waste a sheet and cut it down to find out it doesn't work but I just might, since I already have them it would be cheaper than buying a magnetic mat. Hmm.

Yet another thing for my Christmas list! Thanks so much for all the help here, Alicia and all you wonderful ladies
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #460
Stampin' Fool

Another question from a newbie to die cutting machines--can I use my crease pad in place of the tan embossing mat when using nestibilities??
Thank you for your help--just got some not even opened yet.
Laurie
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #461
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin Gems - I use my silicone rubber mat in place of the tan embossing pad. I got the silicone mat with my starter kit Sizzix Texturz Plates but I think you can buy just the mat. The starter kit comes with the silicone and with the impressions pad and 3 texturz plates.

The crease pad is a lot thicker than the silicone rubber and the tan embossing mat, so I don't know if it would work or not, but Alicia is awesome and would probably know.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #462

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogal View Post
Ok. I have a question. I saw the same question but didn't see answer although I may have missed the answer.

How long do the dies stay sharp and when do you have to replace? I have the snowflake #2. I was told it was SU when I traded but it is not and the middle part doesn't cut thru more than 2 sheets at a time. Please help so I know.

Thanks.
The Snowflake #2 die is sold by Stampin' Up! but it is not an "exclusive" die. You can purchase it elsewhere.

I'm not sure of the longevity of steel rule dies but I always have paper piercer handy to pick up small pieces out of the die after use so they don't "clog" up the foam. If you are constantly cutting multiple sheets of paper without doing this you could have small bits of paper getting under the foam and blocking the blade.

It's not necessarily at matter of the blade being dull so much as it not getting through the foam to cut.

Some dies are defective so I would contact sizzix directly and let them know either way.

I can cut up to 4 sheets of SU cardstock with many of the steel rule dies but I usually just stick to 1 or two per pass.

On the packaging for the dies it will say "works best with ONE sheet at a time" but you "can" cut more.

clear as mud?

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGrams View Post
Another question from a newbie to die cutting machines--can I use my crease pad in place of the tan embossing mat when using nestibilities??
Thank you for your help--just got some not even opened yet.
Laurie
You can cut and emboss your nestabilities in your Big Shot in one pass using the Big Shot

See Jay's Blog post "Indigo Inklings" for more information.

The crease pad works like a self healing cutting mat.

You can also use the silicone rubber that comes in the Texturz Starter Kit in place of the Spellbinders tan embossing mat.

Still others use "plumbers gasket" that you can find at the Hardware store.

NEVER use the Spellbinders or any silicone rubber with steel rule dies! It will cut right through it!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmills View Post
I couldn't seem to find the answer....and it's quite possible I'm blind...

Can we use Cuddlekids dies in the Big Shot? And if so how?
Cuttlekids dies are "wafer Thin" dies like quickutz

So the sandwich would be from bottom to top
MPP
Cutting Pad
Die blade up
paper
cutting pad
roll through big shot

It's written clearly on the MPP and there is a file in the very first post in this thread with all the stacks for all the dies

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
There's a magnetic mat for the nesties? How do I not know this? I gotta wake up a little more and start reading!

HOW COOL! I have to get one of those. I hate how my Nesties slip and slide. Where do you buy it - from Spellbinders?

I have those 8.5"x11" magnetic sheets for the computer printer, to make magnets. Do you think those would work? I don't want to waste a sheet and cut it down to find out it doesn't work but I just might, since I already have them it would be cheaper than buying a magnetic mat. Hmm.

Yet another thing for my Christmas list! Thanks so much for all the help here, Alicia and all you wonderful ladies

Yes you find the Magnetic Placement mat on the Spellbinders website. I believe that you can find them in Ellen Hutson's online store.

It's pretty thin, almost like what you would put on the back of a business card to stick it to the fridge.

If it's too thick you might have to adjust your sandwich.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeria71 View Post
i just got my Pennant die the other day and that line that come from folding you cs in half really bugs me makes everything you make ugly using that die

i was surfing here to see if i could find a way to make that go away
I think it's all a matter of preference. If you are making banners with the dies then you could easily draw attention away from the lines by adding letters and so forth to the front of the die cut pennant.

The only other recourse I can see would be to cut 2 pieces and tape them together but then you would have "overlap".

The crease doesn't bother me. I love making pennant cards with that die.

You can see a great tutorial on them on Patty Bennett's Blog

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 11-29-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #467
Stampin' Fool

THANK YOU LADIES For all your help!!!!--gosh so much to learn about die cutting.
Thanks again!!!
Laurie
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #468
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes you find the Magnetic Placement mat on the Spellbinders website. I believe that you can find them in Ellen Hutson's online store.

It's pretty thin, almost like what you would put on the back of a business card to stick it to the fridge.

If it's too thick you might have to adjust your sandwich.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Thanks so much Alicia!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #469
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I think it's all a matter of preference. If you are making banners with the dies then you could easily draw attention away from the lines by adding letters and so forth to the front of the die cut pennant.

The only other recourse I can see would be to cut 2 pieces and tape them together but then you would have "overlap".

The crease doesn't bother me. I love making pennant cards with that die.

You can see a great tutorial on them on Patty Bennett's Blog

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
youre right about drawing the attention away from the lines im gona look at the blogg thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #470

For those of you asking about how to layer the Top Note here ya go!

How to Layer with the Top Note Die by Dawn Griffith

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

ETA this has been added to the list of video's in the very first post!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #471
Matboard Maniac

Default Using nestabilities in Big Shot

I ordered the Big Shot for my husband to give to me for Christmas! It's very tempting to open the box and just look, but I won't! I also ordered the petite oval nestabilities which has scalloped and plain ovals. My question is: Do I need any special pads to use the nesties? I want to make sure I have everything I need so I will be ready to use it on Christmas day!!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #472
Pearl-ExPert

In order to use the Nesties you need the Multi Purpose Platform, cutting plates (which should've come with your machine). If you want to emboss with them you also need the silicone rubber mat. You can also use the Spellbinders tan embossing mat, or plumbers gasket from the hardware store.

You'll have a blast, trust me!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightfuldaisy View Post
I ordered the Big Shot for my husband to give to me for Christmas! It's very tempting to open the box and just look, but I won't! I also ordered the petite oval nestabilities which has scalloped and plain ovals. My question is: Do I need any special pads to use the nesties? I want to make sure I have everything I need so I will be ready to use it on Christmas day!!
If you don't want your nesties to "shift" you can also get a Magnetic Placement Mat I use this to hold my nesties in place when cutting and embossing with them.

You will also need a mat to emboss with. Any of these options will work:
Silicone Rubber Mat (It comes with the Texturz Starter kit or you can find it seperately)
Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mat This mat can be cut to size so that you can use it with brass stencils as well. There use to be a smaller 5x7 pack version but I think it only comes with the wizard machine now)
Plumbers Gasket (basically a thin rubber mat that you can find at the hardware store)

Everything else you need I.E. MPP and Cutting pads should already be supplied with your Big Shot.

For a video of how to use the dies see the very first post in this thread. There is also a sandwich stack list at the bottom of the post.

Have fun!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #474
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the suggestions. The magnetic mat sounds like something I could really use! Am I right in thinking that I only need the rubber mat if I use a brass stencil? If I use an embossing folder, I won't need the rubber mat, correct? Thanks so much!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightfuldaisy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The magnetic mat sounds like something I could really use! Am I right in thinking that I only need the rubber mat if I use a brass stencil? If I use an embossing folder, I won't need the rubber mat, correct? Thanks so much!
Correct!
The Rubber Mat would only be needed for brass stencils or embossing with Nesties!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 12-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #476
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! I can hardly wait to try it out!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #477
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, I read all 12 pages of this in one sitting yesterday.

Then last night I played around with my BS.

I think I have the Sizzix pads and plates figured out for myself:

multipurpose platform = building height
acrylic/clear plates = cutting
crease pad/self healing mat = scoring
silicone/rubber mat = embossing
impressions pad = embossing

Thanks for all the great tips! They gave a good starting point for playing!!!

Last edited by kaufeestamper; 12-07-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #478
Die Cut Diva

You also need the silicone (rubber) mat when you're using the texture plates. I love those!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #479
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
You also need the silicone (rubber) mat when you're using the texture plates. I love those!
yes, yes, yes...i counted those as embossing. i have one set and they are fun. but then i tried cuttlebug embossing folders and oh my goodness, BIG DIFFERENCE in the results! if i had to compare sizzix texturz plates and cuttlebug embossing folders it would go like this:

Sizzix Texturz Plates
Less expensive ($10 retail for 6 backgrounds on 3 two-sided plates)
Bigger (cover more than a quarter sheet of cardstock)
I'm THINKING maybe you could cut and emboss at the same time???

Cuttlebug Embossing Folder
More expensive ($6 retail for one design)
Smaller (covers less than quarter sheet of cardstock)
Can not cut and emboss at same time because it's a "folder"
MUCH deeper embossing
Better designs in my opinion
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #480
Pearl-ExPert

Could someone please help. I would like to emboss only with my Nestabilities. I've tried the following sandwich and it did not work...

MPP Tab 1
Spellbinders Die blade side up
Cardstock
Tan Emboss Mat
Tan Emboss Mat
Cardstock shim (as noted and it just rolled up when I tried this)
Roll Through

And, exactly how are you supposed to be able to see where your die is if you are placing it in the above order?

Thanks for your help!