Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #401
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Alicia, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I bought another new pair of cutting pads because like I said I warped out the last new pair before I came here for help. I had the idea to change the sandwich but need to know if it is an ok way to do it.

I thought to put one cutting pad on the bottom, then the MPP with the plain side face up (so it's basically the back of the MPP), then my Nestie, blade up, then paper, then my second cutting pad. Then store the top cutting pad under something heavy so it doesn't warp. I thought this way maybe only one plate would warp at a time and I wouldn't go through as many plates. But I don't want to do it if it is going to ruin my machine or something. I just use my nesties SO much. I did notice my plates don't warp when I am using my sizzix bigz or originals, it seems to be mostly when I'm using my wafer-thin dies.

Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #402
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis

I'm not Alicia, but one way to help alleviate the warping is to turn it over each time you use it - basically using both sides to cut. I suppose you could store it under something heavy to keep it flat, but if you are like me, I'd forget where I put it and then I'd be looking all over the place for it...lol
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #403
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks! Yeah I keep flipping them and everything but I warped the last set really bad in 2 months. They are nearly impossible to use now so I got another new set and I'm hoping I don't ruin this set as fast.

Well yeah the one problem with putting it under something heavy is remember where I put it. I might have to get one of those little alarm thingies. LOL. Press the button and follow the bleep bleep!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #404
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis

lol...that or a BIG STICKY NOTE....I've gotten to the point that I tell my husband where I put things so he can help me remember. hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
Thanks! Yeah I keep flipping them and everything but I warped the last set really bad in 2 months. They are nearly impossible to use now so I got another new set and I'm hoping I don't ruin this set as fast.

Well yeah the one problem with putting it under something heavy is remember where I put it. I might have to get one of those little alarm thingies. LOL. Press the button and follow the bleep bleep!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #405
Matboard Maniac

Is there a gallery that list projects from the big shot. I'm looking for some examples of the photo book using the big scallops. Thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #406
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsfulmer View Post
Is there a gallery that list projects from the big shot. I'm looking for some examples of the photo book using the big scallops. Thanks
If you go to the gallery and type in either BigShot or Big Shot that will pull up anything with those words as Keywords

Or try a search for Big Shot Scallop Circle and see if that gives you any hits.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #407

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
Hi Alicia, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I bought another new pair of cutting pads because like I said I warped out the last new pair before I came here for help. I had the idea to change the sandwich but need to know if it is an ok way to do it.

I thought to put one cutting pad on the bottom, then the MPP with the plain side face up (so it's basically the back of the MPP), then my Nestie, blade up, then paper, then my second cutting pad. Then store the top cutting pad under something heavy so it doesn't warp. I thought this way maybe only one plate would warp at a time and I wouldn't go through as many plates. But I don't want to do it if it is going to ruin my machine or something. I just use my nesties SO much. I did notice my plates don't warp when I am using my sizzix bigz or originals, it seems to be mostly when I'm using my wafer-thin dies.

Thanks so much!
Hey I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner!

I would be leary of placing anything directly on the MPP even if it's upside down because you risk cutting into it or having the dies "press" into it which could ruin it. I use the magnetic placement mat sandwich with my nesties so they never rest on the MPP directly.

I only use the same plate when I am cutting anything and I constantly flip it. I mark my plates CUT and EMBOSS so that I always reach for the correct one for my sandwiches.

I also try and place my dies so that they are not always in the middle of the plate. This decreases the chance that your plates will bow because all the cuts won't be in the center.

I store my plates in my big shot as follows MPP on bottom and 2 cutting pads on top. This way the machine exerts pressure on them over night to keep the bowing down to a minimum. I haven't had any problems with my machine after storing them this way and I can always find them because they are inside the machine.

I hope this helps you!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 11-25-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #408
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via MSN to BBStampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbet View Post
Jay at Indigo Inklings just posted some Big Shot Basics. Really useful basic info with pictures.
Thanks for this post. I have some little quickkutz emboss dies I purchased and now I can use them. I keep looking for ways to emboss. I don't have the rubber pad yet because I was waiting to see if we would get an emboss pad in the next catalog.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #409
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
Hey I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner!

I would be leary of placing anything directly on the MPP even if it's upside down because you risk cutting into it or having the dies "press" into it which could ruin it.

I only use the same plate when I am cutting anything and I constantly flip it. I mark my plates CUT and EMBOSS so that I always reach for the correct one for my sandwiches.

I also try and place my dies so that they are not always in the middle of the plate. This decreases the chance that your plates will bow because all the cuts won't be in the center.

I store my plates in my big shot as follows MPP on bottom and 2 cutting pads on top. This way the machine exerts pressure on them over night to keep the bowing down to a minimum. I haven't had any problems with my machine after storing them this way and I can always find them because they are inside the machine.

I hope this helps you!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Speaking of placing anything directly on the cutting pad, I noticed the other day in the Big Shot Sandwich recipe PDF in the first post that for Spellbinders Dies without Magnetic Placement Pad, it says to put the die on the MPP, then cardstock, then 2 cutting pads... Is that still correct? I was looking at the recipes b/c I'm thinking about getting Nesties and wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy anything special to run them through the big shot. Thanks!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #410
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Alicia, I appreciate it!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUKim05 View Post
Speaking of placing anything directly on the cutting pad, I noticed the other day in the Big Shot Sandwich recipe PDF in the first post that for Spellbinders Dies without Magnetic Placement Pad, it says to put the die on the MPP, then cardstock, then 2 cutting pads... Is that still correct? I was looking at the recipes b/c I'm thinking about getting Nesties and wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy anything special to run them through the big shot. Thanks!
I copied that sandwich stack from the spellbinders website but I have always put my sandwich as follows when using my nesties in the big shot

MPP
Cutting Pad
Die blade up
Cardstock
Cutting Pad
Roll through big shot

This sandwich works just fine but you might have better luck using the "spellbinders" recommended sandwich stack list.
There is no "perfect" sandwich because each machine will be different. Some people will need to shim others won't.

Example: You can run the cuttlebug embossing folders on Tab 1 or on No Tab. It's all a matter of preference and what works for you.

These lists are merely guidelines to follow so nothing is set in stone.

I'm updating the .pdf file in the first post to reflect this. When I'm finished I'll repost in in the first post in this thread.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #412
Insane Embellisher

I am having a little trouble with my birds and blooms (basket) die. I made the sandwich
Cutting Pad
die
paper
I tried the crease pad - too short and didn't want to go through
cutting pad

The problem I am having is that as I have seen mentioned here the score gets cut a little too much and it wants to cut instead of scoring. I thought I read to add the crease pad to stop it from cutting the score and to make the score. The full sandwich with the crease pad didn't want to go through and of course the crease pad ordered from SU was not as long as the extended cutting pad nor the die. What should I try now or should I have just kept going and made it go through?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #413
Stazon Splitcoast

You would use the crease pad *instead* of the top cutting pad. As you found out, it won't go thru with both!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #414
Insane Embellisher

Amy, please forgive me for being "slow" but
then the sandwich would be
extended cutting pad
die metal face up
cardstock
crease pad

would that cut up the crease pad and what about the crease pad not being as long as the die? Wouldn't that hurt the big shot?

I know this is not as hard as I am making it but .......... I can't seem to help it.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #415
Stazon Splitcoast

OH, not slow!

Yes, that's the right sandwich, I believe. Alicia I'm sure would have some fantastic advice here. It does cut into (but not through) the crease pad.

As far as the crease pad being too short, I honestly don't have an answer. I have used my Baskets and Blooms die probably 100 times, and I've never had it cut on the creases! I just use my plates, not the crease pad.

Are you cutting cardstock or DSP? One thickness? Usually my score lines turn into score "cuts" when I try to cut too many thicknesses.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #416
Insane Embellisher

Iwas just cutting one sheet of dsp. Do you have the same die? I really want to get this figured out for wedding party favor baskets with sunflowers attached. I will need to make about 110 of them. Yikes!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #417
Stazon Splitcoast

What about a second crease pad???
Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStampin View Post
Amy, please forgive me for being "slow" but
then the sandwich would be
extended cutting pad
die metal face up
cardstock
crease pad

would that cut up the crease pad and what about the crease pad not being as long as the die? Wouldn't that hurt the big shot?

I know this is not as hard as I am making it but .......... I can't seem to help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings View Post
OH, not slow!

Yes, that's the right sandwich, I believe. Alicia I'm sure would have some fantastic advice here. It does cut into (but not through) the crease pad.

As far as the crease pad being too short, I honestly don't have an answer. I have used my Baskets and Blooms die probably 100 times, and I've never had it cut on the creases! I just use my plates, not the crease pad.

Are you cutting cardstock or DSP? One thickness? Usually my score lines turn into score "cuts" when I try to cut too many thicknesses.

Ok I'll do my best to help you!

I've never needed to use the Crease Pad with the baskets and blooms die. But if you did "need" it then the sandwich would be as follows

XL cutting pad
Die blade up
cardstock
Crease Pad
Roll through Big Shot

Again I only cut one sheet at a time (DSP or cardstock) and I've never needed the crease pad. Using the pad with your die isn't going to damage it but you will probably need to make more than one pass to get the full length of the die. Or you could use 2 crease pads.

In the instance of the Scallop Envelope die however sometimes the pressure of the hard cutting pad on top doesn't allow for "give" and the score lines will cut. I know there are those who don't need a crease pad with this die. But I know I have to use it with my machine.

I have other sizzix (non SU) XL dies like the scallop card and purse and I've never needed the crease pad with those dies either.

The Crease Pad is basically like a self healing cutting pad. It is consumable like your cutting pads and will need to be replaced after extended wear and tear.

I would be willing to bet that it would also outlast your cutting pad because it's made to "give" when cut into. Does this make sense?

If you are still having problems just let me know and I'll do my best to help you.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

ETA
I've updated the first post with the updated sandwich stack .pdf file as well.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #419
Insane Embellisher

I knew you ladies would come to the rescue. Thank you for all the help. I will try this all again tomorrow. You it's funny I didn't have any touble with the scallop envelope. It came out perfect. The basket isn't a complete cut through but close I guess it might just depend on what batch the die blades are cut in or mounted in the foam in. Others have trouble with the scallop envy and others don't have any trouble with the baskets. Could make you shake your head and wonder .... hmmmmmmm. But I certainly do appreciate all the input. If push comes to shove I will buy another crease pad and go from there. I just really want to get the first basket made and go from there to fine tune it.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #420
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to TinaG604

Does anyone feel like they have to apply excessive force to get their sandwich through the BS? LOL (Oh that looks funny!) Bigshot is what I mean, of course! LOL Seems I have to really push the sandwich to get it thru but when I watch videos it seems no one else is pushing that hard. Am I doing something wrong?

My StampinUp Site
My Blog: My Studio
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take;
but by the moments that take your breath away."
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #421
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaG604 View Post
Does anyone feel like they have to apply excessive force to get their sandwich through the BS? LOL (Oh that looks funny!) Bigshot is what I mean, of course! LOL Seems I have to really push the sandwich to get it thru but when I watch videos it seems no one else is pushing that hard. Am I doing something wrong?
I find I really have to push down when I use the extended pads
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #422
Kookie Creator

Hi everyone! I am jumping in because I just ordered my Su! Big Shot last week, and it should be here Tues. So, I want to have all the Big Shot knowledge I can have.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The instructions I have (not sure where I got them) say to put the die cutting edge up right on the MPP. I have been doing that but am nervous so after reading what you do, I think I will start using one plate below the die. I think I saw it on that inky something blog. Indigo something.
The spellbinders sandwich stack "without" the magnetic pad says you should put the die directly on the MPP. I use a magnetic placement mat when I cut with my nesties. It keeps them from moving around when I'm rolling them through the machine.

I've also seen that sandwich posted on Ellen Hutson's Blog as well so I'm sure it's a non issue if you don't use a magnetic placement mat with your dies.

That's what I meant when I said I don't put them on the MPP directly. I'm sure the sandwich would be fine but I've always used a pad beneath it so they never rest on the MPP anyway. Clear as mud?
HTH

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #424
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to mastersdegree

Okay, so from what I am reading, even though I have a cuttlebug, I would get a lot of use from the Big Shot. Trying to decide whether or not to buy one with the Michael's coupon this week. I did order one of the BigShot dies from my SU demo. She said it works just fine with the Cuttlebug. Do those of you who have both find that you use them enough to justify the purchase? Just trying to make my money go as far as possible! Thanks!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #425
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I was one of the reluctant buyers of the Big Shot. I have a Wizard and thought that would be enough, but I couldn't get the Basket and Bloom die to cut really well in the Wizard, since it was so long. I am so happy that I did buy the Big Shot. It is much easier to use the Sizzix dies in the Big Shot, compared to the Wizard. The sandwiches are just easier to roll through. I have to admit that I still like the Wizard for the Wizard dies and the Cuttlebug dies. They seem to have a "sharper" cut than the Big Shot, but that could be just my imagination. For the Sizzix dies though, it cuts like a dream. I don't regret having both of the machines.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #426
Polyshrink Goddess

I got my big shot from SU after deciding to sell my CB. I'm in love with the big shot and have been able to use all my dies/emboss folders (all brands) with it. The best part is that it stays put and I don't have to always push the flaps of the CB down to hold it in place. The big shot is much more sturdy to me. Thank you, Alicia, for all your help! I'm in stampin' heaven.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #427
Rubber Obsessor

Default Quick Question

So the top note die for the Big Shot is NOT compatible with the red sizzix machine? (I have the red machine....don't want to buy the new one if I don't have to.)
Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #428
Cardstock Collector

This is an awesome site with lots of great info. I tried going to the Scrapbook.com You tube site to view some videos about the Big Shot. Does it usually take forever for the video to load & start or am I doing something wrong? ( It wouldn't be the first time I was computer challenged. )
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #429
Cardstock Collector

Thanks. Not sure what the problem is. I'll keep trying.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #430
Kookie Creator

I couldn't seem to find the answer....and it's quite possible I'm blind...

Can we use Cuddlekids dies in the Big Shot? And if so how?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #431
Pearl-ExPert

i asked this too. and yes, it's possible. just use as a wafer thin die, on the very top of the multipurpose platform. the top of the platform has the sandwich directions.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #432
Matboard Maniac

subscribing
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #433
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I'm glad I didn't get the pennant die. It would bug me to have a crease down the middle of the finished shape.
i just got my Pennant die the other day and that line that come from folding you cs in half really bugs me makes everything you make ugly using that die

i was surfing here to see if i could find a way to make that go away
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #434
Matboard Maniac

Ok. I have a question. I saw the same question but didn't see answer although I may have missed the answer.

How long do the dies stay sharp and when do you have to replace? I have the snowflake #2. I was told it was SU when I traded but it is not and the middle part doesn't cut thru more than 2 sheets at a time. Please help so I know.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #435
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
The spellbinders sandwich stack "without" the magnetic pad says you should put the die directly on the MPP. I use a magnetic placement mat when I cut with my nesties. It keeps them from moving around when I'm rolling them through the machine.

I've also seen that sandwich posted on Ellen Hutson's Blog as well so I'm sure it's a non issue if you don't use a magnetic placement mat with your dies.

That's what I meant when I said I don't put them on the MPP directly. I'm sure the sandwich would be fine but I've always used a pad beneath it so they never rest on the MPP anyway. Clear as mud?
HTH

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
There's a magnetic mat for the nesties? How do I not know this? I gotta wake up a little more and start reading!

HOW COOL! I have to get one of those. I hate how my Nesties slip and slide. Where do you buy it - from Spellbinders?

I have those 8.5"x11" magnetic sheets for the computer printer, to make magnets. Do you think those would work? I don't want to waste a sheet and cut it down to find out it doesn't work but I just might, since I already have them it would be cheaper than buying a magnetic mat. Hmm.

Yet another thing for my Christmas list! Thanks so much for all the help here, Alicia and all you wonderful ladies
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #436
Matboard Maniac

Another question from a newbie to die cutting machines--can I use my crease pad in place of the tan embossing mat when using nestibilities??
Thank you for your help--just got some not even opened yet.
Laurie
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #437
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin Gems - I use my silicone rubber mat in place of the tan embossing pad. I got the silicone mat with my starter kit Sizzix Texturz Plates but I think you can buy just the mat. The starter kit comes with the silicone and with the impressions pad and 3 texturz plates.

The crease pad is a lot thicker than the silicone rubber and the tan embossing mat, so I don't know if it would work or not, but Alicia is awesome and would probably know.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogal View Post
Ok. I have a question. I saw the same question but didn't see answer although I may have missed the answer.

How long do the dies stay sharp and when do you have to replace? I have the snowflake #2. I was told it was SU when I traded but it is not and the middle part doesn't cut thru more than 2 sheets at a time. Please help so I know.

Thanks.
The Snowflake #2 die is sold by Stampin' Up! but it is not an "exclusive" die. You can purchase it elsewhere.

I'm not sure of the longevity of steel rule dies but I always have paper piercer handy to pick up small pieces out of the die after use so they don't "clog" up the foam. If you are constantly cutting multiple sheets of paper without doing this you could have small bits of paper getting under the foam and blocking the blade.

It's not necessarily at matter of the blade being dull so much as it not getting through the foam to cut.

Some dies are defective so I would contact sizzix directly and let them know either way.

I can cut up to 4 sheets of SU cardstock with many of the steel rule dies but I usually just stick to 1 or two per pass.

On the packaging for the dies it will say "works best with ONE sheet at a time" but you "can" cut more.

clear as mud?

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGrams View Post
Another question from a newbie to die cutting machines--can I use my crease pad in place of the tan embossing mat when using nestibilities??
Thank you for your help--just got some not even opened yet.
Laurie
You can cut and emboss your nestabilities in your Big Shot in one pass using the Big Shot

See Jay's Blog post "Indigo Inklings" for more information.

The crease pad works like a self healing cutting mat.

You can also use the silicone rubber that comes in the Texturz Starter Kit in place of the Spellbinders tan embossing mat.

Still others use "plumbers gasket" that you can find at the Hardware store.

NEVER use the Spellbinders or any silicone rubber with steel rule dies! It will cut right through it!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmills View Post
I couldn't seem to find the answer....and it's quite possible I'm blind...

Can we use Cuddlekids dies in the Big Shot? And if so how?
Cuttlekids dies are "wafer Thin" dies like quickutz

So the sandwich would be from bottom to top
MPP
Cutting Pad
Die blade up
paper
cutting pad
roll through big shot

It's written clearly on the MPP and there is a file in the very first post in this thread with all the stacks for all the dies

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia