Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #361
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe use Goo Gone or something similar to get the sticky off and try again? Is it really humid where you are? I've only had a BS since August, but I've had my Cuttlebug since it first came out. Sometimes they are persnickety things.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #362
Inking Addict

Default It's going to be okay.

Take another breath. It is going to be alright.

Can you post some pictures of the machine and the stack you used? I'd love to help trouble shoot if I can.

I bet by this time next week we will have you laughing about this as if it was a distant memory.

Hang in there!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #363
Compulsive Stamper

I have the Ellison Big Shot and that has happened to me. I was using one clear plate and the black plate and I couldn't turn the handle at all. I freaked and someone with me tried it with the two clear plates and it worked like a charm. Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #364
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
I'm sorry Sarah. I have no solutions but wanted to tell you you are not alone. I did about the same thing with mine last night. I sandwiched a sizzlet wrong and it was super tight. Like you, I kept going for a bit, remembering people saying it's supposed to be snug. Then I realized the sizzlet was not going through. I backed it out and somehow the sticker on the top of the multipurpose thingy was ripping off. I had to cut it off where it was destroyed and now it's all sticky. I didn't think to see if it messed up the actual machine. But we used it a lot after the incident so I think my machine is ok? It's the multipurpose thingy that's a mess.

I actually thought of calling SU to see if they would have any pity on me and send a new multipurpose platform. I know it's a stretch but you never know. I once sent back a whole set of 48 markers that was accidentally sent to me and I always hoped that would come back to me in a good way.

I really hope you get it all figured out. Take some NyQuil tonight.
Thanks so much for the "moral support"! And for not making me feel like an idiot! Actually, I am really quite certain I did everything "right", so I am wondering if there is a defect in my machine.
SU! has been really good as far as returning things. I am not really concerned about that. I have been a big Sizzix user for the last several years; my DD actually used to work for the company and it's just a couple miles from my house. I wish I could just go over there Monday and get some help or a new one, lol!! Oh, if it were only that simple!
I am also just really stumped as to why this happened. I can't help but think there is a defect in the machine or one of the sandwich "ingredients" involved.
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #365
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings View Post
I think you should just leave it for tonite. It will all seem clearer in the morning! And if you're like me, you'll have an "Ah HA" moment in the middle of the night, and know *exactly* what to do when you wake up. {{Hugs}} Try not to stress too much! Do you have an upline/sideline close as a backup plan? Maybe you could borrow BS stuff if you have to.
I hope this is true.
I don't have a "back up", but thankfully there is the amazing gallery here from which I just may have to do some super quick CASEing of projects tomorrow for my workshop, lol!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #366
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi View Post
Take another breath. It is going to be alright.

Can you post some pictures of the machine and the stack you used? I'd love to help trouble shoot if I can.

I bet by this time next week we will have you laughing about this as if it was a distant memory.

Hang in there!
You all are so awesome! I LOVE the fact that we can come on here and in just a few moments get so much help! Thanks you all for your comments and support!!

The stack I used is EXACTLY as shown in the little instructions that came with the machine: the only thing I wonder is if I should have placed the decal side up and not down as I did. That's why the decal is all mess up and stuck to the roller. It does not specify if there is a preferred side up.
Still, I can't see that that could make the sandwich be that tight. I physically could not get it all the way through.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #367
Stazon Splitcoast

I just talked to my DD and she said it's worth a shot calling Ellison on Monday morning. You never know what they might be able to do to help. I will certainly call SU! as well. I am hoping the machine is okay and maybe I just need the spacer and cutting plates replaced. I don't want to be out for too long!

As I think about it, it makes sense that maybe somehow there is a defect. After all, if the thickness of these things has to be so precise (a piece of extra paper for instance can make a difference), then, maybe it's something within that sandwich I used. I have never had problems before and all of these pieces were brand new. I just opened them all for the first time tonight.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #368
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to onecreativechica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahstampart View Post
You all are so awesome! I LOVE the fact that we can come on here and in just a few moments get so much help! Thanks you all for your comments and support!!

The stack I used is EXACTLY as shown in the little instructions that came with the machine: the only thing I wonder is if I should have placed the decal side up and not down as I did. That's why the decal is all mess up and stuck to the roller. It does not specify if there is a preferred side up.
Still, I can't see that that could make the sandwich be that tight. I physically could not get it all the way through.
I saw this and had to run and get my stuff out and try it. I hadn't opened it up until today. Since I knew I needed a couple, I tried it after I read your post. My extender spacer thing does say which side should be up and it's the side with the decal. I don't know that that would make such a difference in the thickness though. It was a little snug, but not too tight that I couldn't turn it. I really hope you can get some help on Monday. Let us know what you find out, please.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #369

Justs thought I'd let you know that I tried a couple of my strip dies that I didn't take out of the package yet and it went through fine with the same sandwich you described. Perhaps you can try measuring the plates maybe yours are off a bit. The base white plate was 1/2 inch and the 2 clear cutting plates are 1/8 inch. Wish I could be more help.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #370
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecreativechica View Post
I saw this and had to run and get my stuff out and try it. I hadn't opened it up until today. Since I knew I needed a couple, I tried it after I read your post. My extender spacer thing does say which side should be up and it's the side with the decal. I don't know that that would make such a difference in the thickness though. It was a little snug, but not too tight that I couldn't turn it. I really hope you can get some help on Monday. Let us know what you find out, please.
You're right! It does say "this side up" on the spacer. However, it didn't mention that in the instructions, and I was really just following those. In the picture it shows the plain side is up. Still, you're right. It's clearly printed on the spacer.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #371
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoore1 View Post
Justs thought I'd let you know that I tried a couple of my strip dies that I didn't take out of the package yet and it went through fine with the same sandwich you described. Perhaps you can try measuring the plates maybe yours are off a bit. The base white plate was 1/2 inch and the 2 clear cutting plates are 1/8 inch. Wish I could be more help.
I just measured my spacer platform. It's 1/16" thicker than yours. And it's a tad thicker on one end than the other.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #372
Insane Embellisher

I have the scalloped envelope die with the cuttlebug. I put A plate, B plate, envelope die, c/s, B plate, ran it thru my bug. And it cut great except it up one of the flaps almost right off. What should I do to prevent that happening??
((Hugs))
Kathy
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #373
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Benko View Post
I have the scalloped envelope die with the cuttlebug. I put A plate, B plate, envelope die, c/s, B plate, ran it thru my bug. And it cut great except it up one of the flaps almost right off. What should I do to prevent that happening??
((Hugs))
Kathy
You need the use the crease pad with any sizzix die that has a score line.

the crease pad is too wide to fit in the cuttlebug but you can cut it to fit if you have a heavy duty cutter.

See the Cuttlebg FAQ thread for more information. Its a sticky below this thread. This question has been asked and answered there also.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #374

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

I'm just now catching up on all these posts! Yikes!

Having the decal face down increases the chance that it would get ripped off the plate because of the pressure applied to it as its rolled through the machine.

Also there is a definate thickness in the Spacer that you get directly from Sizzix (this one says Big Kick on it) than the one that you get through Stampin Up.

I find this very interesting because you'd think the only thing they would change would be the decal to make it "theirs"

I also find it interesting that in the directions it doesn't say that the decal side must be face up. I guess they are counting on everyone to just "know" it by looking at the printed side sheesh.

I pulled out my SU BigShot and did some testing and these are my results:

*when running the Join the Cheer die with the Sizzix Spacer Platform the sandwich is a tight fight but it will go through my machine

*when running the Join the Cheer die with the SU Spacer Platform the sandwich is even more snug but still works.

* I also noticed that when I used DSP or Vellum the sandwich wasnt as tight as when I used Cardstock

My decals were always face up when I ran them through.

I hope this information helps you and I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #375
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Alicia! I guess I really messed things up when I put the spacer (and yes, it was purchased through SU!) in with the decal side down!
However, in my defense, I had the platform on my counter and was reading the instructions, so it didn't occur to me to really look at it. It was brand new and I just unwrapped it. I just didn't give any thought to it other than the order in which to put the items in the "sandwich". But, I guess I should have been more thorough in looking things over.
Also, I first tried it and it wouldn't go through right from the beginning, but I just rolled it by turning it as hard as I could. By the time it got to about the center I was not strong enough. No way could I get it to continue. And after measuring and seeing that one end is even thicker than the other, I can help but think it may be defective. So, we'll see what SU! says tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, for all your help and comments!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #376
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
I'm just now catching up on all these posts! Yikes!

Having the decal face down increases the chance that it would get ripped off the plate because of the pressure applied to it as its rolled through the machine.

Also there is a definate thickness in the Spacer that you get directly from Sizzix (this one says Big Kick on it) than the one that you get through Stampin Up.

I find this very interesting because you'd think the only thing they would change would be the decal to make it "theirs"

I also find it interesting that in the directions it doesn't say that the decal side must be face up. I guess they are counting on everyone to just "know" it by looking at the printed side sheesh.

I pulled out my SU BigShot and did some testing and these are my results:

*when running the Join the Cheer die with the Sizzix Spacer Platform the sandwich is a tight fight but it will go through my machine

*when running the Join the Cheer die with the SU Spacer Platform the sandwich is even more snug but still works.

* I also noticed that when I used DSP or Vellum the sandwich wasnt as tight as when I used Cardstock

My decals were always face up when I ran them through.

I hope this information helps you and I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Alicia-
I got the spacer from SU and it has Sizzix, Big Kick, Big Shot on the decal. There is no mention of SU anywhere on mine. Did you get something different from SU? I'm not having problems with mine at all, but I'm definitely curious. Would like to know if a customer orders one at some point.

Thanks for all your help.

Alicia
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #377

Quote:
Alicia-
I got the spacer from SU and it has Sizzix, Big Kick, Big Shot on the decal. There is no mention of SU anywhere on mine. Did you get something different from SU? I'm not having problems with mine at all, but I'm definitely curious. Would like to know if a customer orders one at some point.

Thanks for all your help.

Alicia
Hi Alicia! Great name! I pronounce mine Ah Lee C Ah ok back on topic
Yep that's correct there is no SU mark on the one that came from SU. The lettering is all in black

the one from sizzix has red lettering but says the same thing tis just a hair less thick than the SU version. 1/16th of an inch.

The only thing clearly marked with the SU logo are the BigShot machine itself and all the exclusive dies.

The Su logo isn't present on any of the accessories that go with the Big Shot.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #378
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarystampingmom View Post
Hi Alicia! Great name! I pronounce mine Ah Lee C Ah ok back on topic
Yep that's correct there is no SU mark on the one that came from SU. The lettering is all in black

the one from sizzix has red lettering but says the same thing tis just a hair less thick than the SU version. 1/16th of an inch.

The only thing clearly marked with the SU logo are the BigShot machine itself and all the exclusive dies.

The Su logo isn't present on any of the accessories that go with the Big Shot.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Good to know...I'll read your name with the correct pronunciation now. Last time my name was pronounced like that was when I was in my Spanish classes and in Spain.

Anyway.... so..you have both?? And..all of the lettering on the one directly from Sizzix is red? I guess I didn't notice the color on mine. I thought it was red, but that may have just been the "Sizzix" on it. I should have just brought it downstairs with me. That would have been too easy though.

Alicia
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #379

I'm putting an addendum on my .pdf file about the decal being face up so that in the future hopefully no one else will make this mistake. I'll have it updated shortly.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #380
Polyshrink Goddess

Just ordered myself the big shot from ritzcameras!!!!....,I also got the crease pad

what other pads will I need????...the only die I own right now is 1 embossing die but hope to hit hl with a 40% coupon and get one more....

or ebay or here...I live in the boonies so it will take awhile to get some...but a friend of mine has alphabets and a few I can borrow..

so I'll be back with a bunch of ?'s...but wanted to be sure I had the pads so I would be ready for whatever die's I end up with...make sense???

thanks, debi
Old 11-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #381
Forum Fanatic

If you plan to get the longer XL dies you'll need the extended cutting pads. I'm not sure how the crease pad works with the long dies-I guess you just put the crease pad in the area where the shape w/ the score lines is.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodebi View Post

Just ordered myself the big shot from ritzcameras!!!!....,I also got the crease pad

what other pads will I need????...the only die I own right now is 1 embossing die but hope to hit hl with a 40% coupon and get one more....

or ebay or here...I live in the boonies so it will take awhile to get some...but a friend of mine has alphabets and a few I can borrow..

so I'll be back with a bunch of ?'s...but wanted to be sure I had the pads so I would be ready for whatever die's I end up with...make sense???

thanks, debi
If you are using the Bigz XL dies you will need Extended Cutting pads
If you are using the Decorative Strip Dies you will need the Exended Spacer Platform and Cutting Pads.

If you are using Sizzix Texturz you will need to get the Texturz Starter kit or you can by the Sizzix Impressions Pad and Sizzix Silicone Mat individually.

This slicone rubber mat is used to emboss Spellbinders Dies and also to emboss with metal or brass stencils.

The Premium Crease pad is for Dies that have "crease" lines and it should come with 2 pieces of shim.

Have fun with your new toy!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #383
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, So I should get the Extended cutting pads, extended spacer platform and cutting pads

Then the Texturz starter kit and the kit will include what I need for the spellbinder dies (which is one reason I really wanted the big shot!)..guess I'll go back and see if they carry those and if I can get them on the same order for the same shipping....

Oh, I better make sure I'm getting the premium crease pad....

thanks soooo much!!!....debi
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #384
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to jeannie barron Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

costco has a great deal right now on the big shot, pink & black. Just ordered my!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #385
Polyshrink Goddess

Really? The two little pieces of plastic stuff that came with my premium crease pad are supposed to be used as shims? They aren't the size of the full pad or anything. Or are you talking about something different?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #386
Forum Fanatic

Yep those are the shims. I thought the same thing. The reason I am positive they are shims is because my crease pad was missing the shims so I emailed sizzix and they sent them to me separately.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #387
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

thanks, debi
DANGEROUS! I wondered over to that site and my cart is sitting with $200 worth of stuff in it. I also found a free shipping code. Anyone ordered from this site before?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #388
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, what is the free shipping code???.....

I looked and couldn't find one....also check out fatwallet.com and if you sign up you can get 5% back into your *wallet*.....I do that whenever I shop online....
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #389
Pearl-ExPert

go to this site http://www.momsview.com/ritzcamera.shtml

and click on the link to get free shipping on $100 or more. there wasn't really a code but using that link does work for me. there's no shipping in the billing.

if i actually place the $100-$200 order, it's all your fault!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #390
Polyshrink Goddess

I want to know where we are going shopping tomorrow...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #391
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll be reading this thread shortly as my new baby showed up today from SU!! It is my birthday present from hubby. I told him this is what I wanted and can I order it. He usually likes to buy stuff for me and won't go for this type of arrangement, but he got cash for his birthday, so I whined and got my way!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #392
Pearl-ExPert

Default cuttlebug embossing folders

I'm sure this has been asked already. What sandwich do we use to dry emboss with Cuttlebug embossing folders in the Big Shot? Same sandwich as with Sizzix Texturz plates?

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeat, which I'm sure it is. I gave up after page 5 or so.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #393
Polyshrink Goddess

Hummmm, I need to know this also....
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #394
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not sure it's the right sandwich, but I find that the Cuttlebug Embossing folder works best when you remove all the tabs from the platform. The sandwich I use is as follows:
platform with NO tabs, clear cutting mat, embossing folder with cardstock inside, and lastly clear cutting mat. Works for me!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #395
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Hummmm, I need to know this also....
Debi, I"m asking for you, ha, ha! But me too.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
I'm sure this has been asked already. What sandwich do we use to dry emboss with Cuttlebug embossing folders in the Big Shot? Same sandwich as with Sizzix Texturz plates?

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeat, which I'm sure it is. I gave up after page 5 or so.

All of the sandwich stacks are listed as a .pdf file in the very first post in this thread. It's a long post so you have to scroll to the bottom to see all the files.

this is the sandwich I use

Multipurpose Platform Tab 1
Standard Cutting Pad
CB embossing folder with cardstock/paper inside
Standard Cutting Pad
Roll through Big Shot

Another popular sandwich is
Multipurpose Platform NO TABS
Standard Cutting Pad
CB Embossing Folder with Cardstock/Paper inside
Standard Cutting Pad
Roll through Big Shot

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #397
Embossing Fanatic

I am dying to get a big shot, but I want to wait on the Big Shot Express. Does anyone know when it is coming out? I have not heard a word. I did see an ad for it in Creating Keepsakes December 2008 issue, so it should be soon!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #398

The only read difference is the the Big Shot Express needs to be plugged in and you have to hold the button down once you have loaded your sandwich in the machine to run it through.

All the sandwich stacks will still be the same. Best for those who don't have the strength to roll the handle themselves

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

ETA You can pre-order it at memorymakingcrafts.com Tell Cindy that I sent you. Her customer service is outstanding!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #399
Rubber Obsessor

I just got my BS yesterday, and it almost seems like the sandwich for the Bigz dies is too thick with just the cutting plates and the die??? I already found that for some sizzlets I had to go down a tab on the MPP. Maybe the opening on my machine is a bit thinner than most? When I run a sandwich with a Bigz through it almost tries to kick it back out. Help!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #400
Crimping Master

Thanks to everyone here for your great information! I wouldn't have had the courage to get my BS today, except I knew this thread was waiting to help me out!

SCSrs are the best!

When I'm not near the stamp I love, I love the stamp I'm near.
My tiny little gallery

www.StampYourBliss.com