Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default Bic Mark-Its

Staples here in Canada has this set of Bic Mark-Its on sale right now and I'm thinking of picking it up. I currently have a few Tombow water-based markers, but I don't love the way they blend and am curious about alcohol-based markers. I've noticed a few of you use these, amongst others, and I'm just wondering how you find them compared to Copics or Spectrum Noirs? Also, do you need a blender pen to blend them?

TIA!
Pip
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippinmctaggart View Post
Staples here in Canada has this set of Bic Mark-Its on sale right now and I'm thinking of picking it up. I currently have a few Tombow water-based markers, but I don't love the way they blend and am curious about alcohol-based markers. I've noticed a few of you use these, amongst others, and I'm just wondering how you find them compared to Copics or Spectrum Noirs? Also, do you need a blender pen to blend them?

TIA!
Pip
I have a large set of Bics (36 colors) that I got at Sam's Club. I think they are a fine, inexpensive way to find out if you like coloring with alcohol markers, without the expense of Copics.

That said, I will say that the colors of the Bics are pretty bright and intense, and don't actually turn out much like the colors on the lids. When I got mine, I filled in with a few Copics in pale colors to go with the Bics. I got the pale Copics one at a time, using coupons at my local Hobby Lobby.

About shading, I can't say, because I don't do the shading with several colors like lots of folks do. My coloring is pretty simple, with lighter colors and darker colors around the edge. I think they would work with a blending pen made for Copics, but I don't use one.

I have also gotten some sets of Spectrum Noir to use with the Bics. I got them on sale, a set at a time, and have built up my collection that way.

I use the Bics, Copics, and Spectrum markers together, just depending on the colors I want to use.

Like I said, my coloring is not terribly artistic, with lots of shading like many people do, but I'm happy with my results. You can take a look at my gallery if you like and see what I'm talking about.

Here's a card I did with Bics and Spectrums:

Hope this helps you a little.
Attached Thumbnails
mi-mi-fairy-hello-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I use BICS, Sharpies, Copics, and Spectrum Noir, but don't have the artistic talent that so many people here on SCS have. Here are my opinions:

I started with BICS and Sharpies as a way of trying out alcohol markers. I encourage you to buy the set. It is a great, relatively inexpensive way to see if you like it. Even if you don't, I've discovered lots of uses for different colored BICS and Sharpies around the house!

Like Bugga, I filled in with lighter shades of a few Copics (too expensive for me to have very many). Then I discovered Spectrum Noir and have bought all of the 6-pack sets. But I did this over time, after trying out the BICS and Sharpies for awhile. Personally, I think the Copics and Spectrum Noirs blend better than the BICS and Sharpies do. I still use all four brands together, though. To put this in a very simplistic (and maybe not totally accurate) way, you blend by laying down a color, laying down a second color next to it, then using a lighter shade over both to "blend" or hide the sharp edge where the two colors meet.

As for blender pen--I really think they should change what that is called. It is misleading. When I think of a blender pen, I think of something like the Dove blender, that actually makes two (or more) colors blend together. The "blender" pens for Copics and Spectrum Noir (and other alcohol markers) are actually more of an "eraser" or "pusher" pen. It has nothing to do with making colors blend together. It REMOVES color. It can be used when your color bleeds a little bit outside the lines, or to PUSH color to make some already colored area a little lighter. You don't use it to achieve what I described in the paragraph above.

Sorry if that is confusing. That is the best way I can describe it. And I rarely use my Copic "blender" pen. Does that help?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I started off with the Bics & Sharpies as well and still use them along side all the Copics I've accumulated. I think they blend well, but as Bugga pointed out, the colours are very intense. Like anything else, it will take practice to get your blending to where you like it. There are so many great tutorials on the internet, and youtube in particular, that show you how to get the look you want. One of my main sources for instruction is I Like Markers (just google it and it will pop up right away). She is very good with the information she provides and the way she presents it. While I wouldn't say these are my best cards or that my colouring skills are great, these are the only ones I have in the gallery that specifically use Bics and/or Sharpies:
A Day For Daisies - Wind in My Hair by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Easter Card - 2010 by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

I had Copics; and I sold them. I discovered while I love markers, I don't really enjoy coloring large images very much. That is not what I LOVE about stamping. That being said, I couldn't justify the expense of the Copics and having barely used them I happily resold them and bought stamps and dies and embossing folders!

I have a drawer full of Bics now. For what little coloring I will do they suit my purposes ( and my budget ) just fine. You can't get the really pale, pale colors in a Bic which is why most folks fill in with Copics. I personally found that the Copics blend like a dream...the Bics are not as easy to get a "seamless" blend but again; in a smaller area it's not that noticeable. I don't use "people" stamps so I am not worried about getting a true to life skin tone.

I've heard lots of GREAT things about the Spectrum Noirs out here. Truly tempting me to buy some. But every time I reach for them I remind myself "you don't like coloring that much" and I put them back.

Personally, with Copics being SO expensive I think starting out with some Bics is a good idea. And if you can use coupons to add on with the Spectrum Noirs it won't be too big a bite out of your budget. If you discover that you LOVE coloring your stamped images and it becomes a major part of how you enjoy this hobby; then invest in the Copics. Because there is no doubt that those (fabulous) Copics are an INVESTMENT. Just my two cents
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

I have the BIC markers in fine and ultra fine and I find that they work quite well with the minimal coloring skills that I have. They are inexpensive compared to Copics (check out AC Moore and use a coupon). I don't use a blender pen but actually use them by coloring in small circles then using another color and it blends itself....at least that what I looks like it does to me.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you everyone for the great advice! And thank you Blueheron for the info about the 'blender' pen--you're right, they should change what they call it!

I love to colour but I don't manage anything super artistic, so I'm going to pick up the Bics and try them. If I like them, I'll supplement with a set or two of the SN's. Unfortunately, being unemployed for two years has severely limited my budget, so it'll be a while before I can. It's so hard waiting for months or years for all the pretties I want!