Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Paper Trimmer?

Hi,

I have the Creative Memories paper trimmer, which I love, but find I have to keep replacing blades. I just go through them so quickly, esp using SU CS. I wonder if any of you have found your paper trimmer blades to have lasted a long time. I think the CM ones are only good for 500 cuts.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the Fiskars trimmer that has a rubber track for the blade to run in. When the blade cuts against regular plastic it dulls quickly. If you find the cutters with the rubber track under the blade they last longer. I think Cutter Bee makes one too. The track can be turned so as it gets cut up by the blade you can turn it. My blades lasted a fairly long time. Where I live, the tracks were hard to find for my cutter and I could only get them out of town, so I ended up going with the SU version from Tonic. I bought it during SAB so I could extra freebies, but I think Archiver's has the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my Making Memories Precision Trimmer. It has a self-sharpening blade and makes a nice clean edge even after using it on hundreds of cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I love my Making Memories Precision Trimmer. It has a self-sharpening blade and makes a nice clean edge even after using it on hundreds of cards!
I vote for Making Memories Precision Trimmer, too. You can cut 12 x 12 paper if you need to, and it folds to use with smaller sizes. Plus, it is a super company with wonderful customer service should you (very unlikely) have a problem with their products.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Thanks so much ladies. To replace all of my blades for the CM ones will cost $20, I'd rather get a new one that I won't have to replace as often. Self sharpening sounds like a great idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Left hand trimmer

Would you recommend the MM trimmer for left handers? I have an old Fiskars trimmer that needs to go. I really need to update my trimmer. I'm having a hard time finding one so that the measurements aren't upside down when I use my left hand. What do you left handers recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not a lefty - my daughter is though so I know some of the frustration you have. The MM trimer has numbers top and bottom. I just checked - to feed the paper right to left with the cutter on the left. Numbers are upside down. The cutter glides nicely though - so you could use it with the left hand. The magnet ruler is srong, so your paper would not slip if you need to use it. I purchased the MM based on recommendations of the folks on here. I am very satisfied!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Another vote for the Making Memories trimmer - I used a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby, so it was only $30!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have a Carl DC 220 that I use for big cutting jobs. It cuts through a stack of SU cardstock like buttah and the cuts are perfect, no frayed or crooked cuts.

I also have a SU/Tonic 6" guillotine that I take to crops with me and it's also fabulous. It's also self-sharpening. But I can generally only cut one sheet at a time with it.

I love them both for different reasons.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'll add my vote for a Making Memories trimmer. I switched from the CM trimmer for the very same reason as the OP, and I have been 100% thrilled with this one!

Just a warning, though: This trimmer is only designed to cut 1-2 sheets of paper at a time. If you try to cut more than that, it will throw your blade off track. You can easily remedy that, but it always helps to know these things ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Left handed trimmer

Bumping to get more input for a left handed trimmer. I think I might get the MM foldable trimmer and just deal with it. I might get used to using my right hand after awhile.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have the MM foldable trimmer and (trust me) countless other trimmers. Of all my trimmers, I feel that the MM foldable trimmer continues to cut the straightest and is the most economical (self sharpening blade). It is bigger and bulkier than most other trimmers.
It is similar in design to the Purple Cows trimmer except that it does not have the guilliotine arm, the blades are self-sharpening, and it folds up. You can use it when it is folded up.

Both my kids are lefties. They are old enough now that they can use my supplies whenever they have school projects and such. My kids LOVE the MM foldable trimmer. My oldest actually won't use any of the other trimmers anymore.

Unlike other trimmers, you can position it so that you can read the numbers (the ones closest to you are right side up) for measurement purposes, if you are cutting it left-handed. (for those of us righties--just turn it around, and it works for us too!!)
There are multiple sets of rulers on the trimmer--a ruler guide at the top and one at the bottom--depending upon how you want to cut--for right handed cutting or left-handed cutting--There is a ruler guide running bottom to top with respect to the blade's cutting position. There is also a magnetic removable ruler to allow you to secure and cut multiple sheets on once.
My oldest positions (the trimmer) opposite the way that I do to cut. He positions it so that the blade edge of the cutter is to the right and his ruler guide measures right to left.
If you live close to a store that sells one--ask them if they could demo it for you and allow you to try it out.

Last edited by scrapnva; 03-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: ruler guide position
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I just looked at the Making Memories trimmer last night - I had the same question I have the Creative Memories trimmer which I really do like but hate having to get the blades either online or from a rep - I have a fiskars trimmer which I cant get to cut even and I don't have a marking for 3 1/2 or 3 3/4 so I have to get out a ruler which drives me crazy! I think I will get the MM one and see how that goes thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, I think I will purchase the MM trimmer. Thanks for your input. Does anyone have the mat that use see underneath it in the videos? Is it worth purchasing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Love this mat!

I love, absolutely love the we are memory keepers magnetic mat. I do not know what I did before that thing! I can tie perfect bows, hold paper for anything...it is like having 4 more hands. If you need a new mat go for this one! I got the big one and it was worth every penny.

I got mine at Archiver's in Houston (I am in Dallas) because I could never find it where I live.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote here for the Making Memories trimmer. I was so frustrated with other trimmers before this one--you know, the kind where the arm folds out to measure. It seemed that I was always getting a crooked cut and was so irritated by it. The trimmer is heavier than others, but I have a pots and pans lid holder from the kitchenware section at WalMart and store it there along with the other trimmers and my Scor-Pal. So, it is out of the way, but in easy reach when I need it!
Reply With Quote Likes