Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #41
Compulsive Stamper

What water-based ink pads are available for colouring with the alcohol markers? I know you are not supposed to use StazOn because it is alcohol based and will muddy your pen nibs. I also know that Memento inks are highly recommended but suppliers in my area don't have that brand.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
Rubber Obsessor

I would like to hear the answer to your question also Dianne. I am totally confused on stamp pads. I have Distress pads, almost every brand.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #43
Watercolor Wizard

I'm one of the few people who doesn't use Memento, I suspect! I usually use Adirondack dye inks when I colour with my Copics, Dianne. Espresso is my absolute favourite as it's just that little bit softer looking than black. I also use Brilliance (a pigment ink) with great results - just give it a quick blast with a heat gun if you want to be absolutely sure it's dry before you start colouring.

If those don't help, perhaps you can tell us what you have or can get easily in your area and we might be able to say which will be suitable for you.

My blog
Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
Compulsive Stamper

At the moment, I have some SU pads, and StazOn, which I know you are not supposed to use with alcohol based pens. I have just bought the Spectrum Noir pens and want to get an ink pad to stamp my images for using them. Other than Memento, I don't know which pads are water based.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #45
Watercolor Wizard

SU Classic is water based but I've never used it so have no idea how successful it is with alcohol based markers. Basically, any dye ink is water based and some pigment inks are too (including Brilliance).

If you have an SU Classic pad there, just try stamping a test image and scribble over a line with your marker to see what happens - you don't need to go to the trouble of coluring an image properly to find out how the ink will perform.

My blog
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #46
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, I can get the Brilliance locally. My main concern is not compromising the tips of the markers with the ink from the pad.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #47
Watercolor Wizard

I use Brilliance a lot with Copics, in fact if I want to stamp in black it's pretty much always Brilliance Graphite Black I use if I plan on using Copics. I've never experienced any transfer of the ink to the nib. I think your only chance of doing that would be if you stamped and immediately coloured over the line before the ink had a chance to dry.

Brilliance is a lovely ink for other things too, BTW! It will stamp onto a slick surface such as acetate or an old CD. It doesn't dry as quickly as Stazon but it does dry and you don't have the extra effort for the clean-up job that Stazon involves. It works well with clear stamps which is a plus for many people who don't want to risk solvent inks and cleaners with those. I have quite a few colours in the little dew drop pads and the original full size pads I bought seven years ago are still fresh and juicy (I know how old they are as I bought them to do a baby card just before the birth of a little girl who is now seven!). I do have a reinker for my black pad as I use it a lot but those original pink and blue pads have never been near a reinker!

HTH.

My blog
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #48
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, Joanne. This is very helpful. I will get some of the Brilliance pads. I also have some Memento Dewdrops in several colours. Will give them a try as well!

Dianne
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Most inks are water based. Among those, some are good for copic colouring and others arent. pigment inks (sticky and take long time to dry) are generally not recommended neither are chalk inks (dry, powdery looking finish). There are also hybrid inks with properties of dye and pigment yet also water based. Non-water based are Staz-on which is alcohol-based and archival-type inks which are oil-based. Neither is compatible with alcohol markers.

The majority of inks are dye though, Water based and labeled as such. Only a few are considered good for Copic or alcohol colouring though. Memento, adirondack, brilliance when heated or very well dried (like hours) and distress are the only brands Ive heard good reports on. Some inks bleed a bit like SU! and some a lot like Staz-on and Archival.

You must test tho as paper and ink together can make a difference as it depends on how well the ink sinks into the paper and how well it stays there and whether or not the alcohol ink can make it move. Ive had memento bleed on cheap paper!

To test, stamp a simple line art image. Colour next to the line. Does the ink bleed towards the stamped line? (This tests your paper, skip if you are just testing your ink). Colour heavily over your line (but dont go crazy.) Does it smudge or bleed? If so, don't use that ink with that paper. It may be the ink or it may be the combo so try your ink on another paper if you have another paper you like. Me, I only use x-press it so I'd be finished testing!

You can also try careful colouring if an image isn't too complex. Colour right up to the lines being careful not to colour over them. For an image with complex shading this might be very hard but for something simple it works very well. Same with images embossed with coloured powders. With strong colours that travel, like reds and some deep blues, don't even colour to the line, colour close to it and allow the ink to seep to the lines or they may go too far. That's a good tip anyway. Also try working dark to light instead of light to dark to light as you will lay down less ink overall.

HTH!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #50
Compulsive Stamper

A wonderful explanation, Rebecca. Thank so much!

Dianne
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #51
Crimping Master

I don't use Copics, but I was interested in the comment that the 7 year old Brilliance pads were still juicy. I threw all mine out as they were always dry, no matter if I had recently reinked them or not. i know of others that love them, but I had no luck with any of the colors I had. Since I used them mostly for embossing, I just stuck with Colorbox.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

I am starting to use the Gina K. Color Companion ink pads and love the crispness of the ink and also the colors are vibrant. Cannot wait for some more colors to make their debut.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie View Post
... brilliance when heated or very well dried (like hours)
I don't think I've ever left mine more than about five minutes. If I'm in more of a hurry than that I blast with a heat gun but I've never had an issue with giving it only minutes to dry.

Jeanne, I wonder whether climate makes a difference? Do you live somewhere with particularly hot/dry conditions? I'm in the UK which is pretty average for just about every weather condition!

My blog
Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #54
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I don't think I've ever left mine more than about five minutes. If I'm in more of a hurry than that I blast with a heat gun but I've never had an issue with giving it only minutes to dry.

Jeanne, I wonder whether climate makes a difference? Do you live somewhere with particularly hot/dry conditions? I'm in the UK which is pretty average for just about every weather condition!
Actually, I do. I live in the high desert of Oregon. Our humidity is usually in the teens throughout the year. Our moisture comes from our winter snow pack---hardly ever have rain except for the occasional thunderstorm downpour that can only happen in the desert. Actually never thought about that, for some reason. Thanks!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
I don't use Copics, but I was interested in the comment that the 7 year old Brilliance pads were still juicy. I threw all mine out as they were always dry, no matter if I had recently reinked them or not
The trick is to save the little plastic cover that comes with the pad. Use a glue dot to attach it to the lid so you never have to worry about it or risk losing it. It will help keep pads juicy for much longer.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #56
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie View Post
The trick is to save the little plastic cover that comes with the pad. Use a glue dot to attach it to the lid so you never have to worry about it or risk losing it. It will help keep pads juicy for much longer.
I did keep the plastic lid--wish I had thought of the glue dot trick, but I did always keep it on when closed, so that wouldn't have helped with the juiciness in my case.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #57
Compulsive Stamper

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Hero Arts shadow inks? I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong. I've tried them on rubber and clear, and 4 different kinds of paper and I'm still getting splotchy results. They do fill in, but not total coverage. Does it matter that I've only tried the cubes?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sparkle View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care for Hero Arts shadow inks? I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong. I've tried them on rubber and clear, and 4 different kinds of paper and I'm still getting splotchy results. They do fill in, but not total coverage. Does it matter that I've only tried the cubes?
This isn't specific to Hero Arts, just something I've figured out for any solid stamping. Hold the stamp in place for a long time with a decent amount of pressure on it. Like 30 seconds or more. It will seem like an eternity!! You know how your stamp often has enough ink left on it that you can generation stamp 2-4 more times? Give that ink time to soak into the paper and you will get better results with any ink. I have noticed that even some of the stamping 'greats' have splotchy results, things I'd redo, even with HA ink.