Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ATG gun - which tape do you use? Acid or Non?

I got my ATG gun (the pink one), and after a week and a half of procrastination over figuring out how to load it, I finally sat down and watched one instructional YouTube and it was actually rather easy to load, I'd figured it out before the video was even over. It's also bigger than I expected, but also lighter, and so I am happy I got it and hopefully this will break my reliance on Snail.

But I am using the non acid-free tape, because I bought both and the acid free has an odor I don't care for. I guess I should use the acid-free, though. What do you use? Maybe I can air out the acid free so it won't smell.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can find it I usually buy the non acid free, I don't scrapbook much anymore and the non acid free is about 1/2 the price and works just the same.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I have two ATG guns--my original was the red one and I used it for everything, using acid free tape. When the pink one came out, I purchased it for card making and use general purpose tape in that one. (BTW, when I first purchased my red ATG, I had so much trouble with it--user's fault--that I put it away for a long, long time--lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't scrapbook and don't figure my cards have to last for generations to come, lol. I just use the non-acid free tape. I usually buy 12 rolls at a time on Ebay from Tape Depot for a pretty good price with free shipping.

Here is a link:

12 Rolls Craft Tape ATG Photo Tape 1 4" x 36yd | eBay

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I usually buy the acid-free, because I scrapbook too. When I do buy the general purpose refills, I put a little "GP" removable sticker on the ATG that has it. (I have 2 ATGs.) I buy most of my( off-brand) refills online, so I pay less than $2 per refill for the acid-free. I find that all of the Scotch brand refills smell moldy, so I air them out a for a few days before I use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about GP (non acid free) for card making, but I do know that it's not recommended for archiving like scrapbooks. Even with a coupon at Michaels, $3 vs $6 per 2 pack decided this for me. Now I also buy in bulk from eBay. My ATG was probably my best purchase ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I get together with a few ladies and purchase in bulk from framingsupplies.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I accidentally bought the acid-free refills once. I didn't like them at all. They did smell bad and I had more trouble with the tape actually rolling off the gun correctly! I had been using the ATG for over year with no difficulties but the acid free tape would just pull away from the backing piece before I could get it down on the paper!! And, even when it was on correctly my layers did not hold as well! And they weren't heavy, embossed or overly embellished. Never again!!! General purpose all the way for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't scrapbook and don't figure my cards have to last for generations to come, lol. I just use the non-acid free tape. I usually buy 12 rolls at a time on Ebay from Tape Depot for a pretty good price with free shipping.

Here is a link:

12 Rolls Craft Tape ATG Photo Tape 1 4" x 36yd | eBay
I also use this Tape Depot tape although I buy it in gross and split with friends. It does state acid free but I am not sure of the "quality of this acid free" if that makes any sense. I only use this tape for my cards so I am not concerned with how long it lasts without discoloration. However, I have cards dating back about 6 years and I haven't seen any discoloration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I accidentally bought the acid-free refills once. I didn't like them at all. They did smell bad and I had more trouble with the tape actually rolling off the gun correctly! I had been using the ATG for over year with no difficulties but the acid free tape would just pull away from the backing piece before I could get it down on the paper!! And, even when it was on correctly my layers did not hold as well! And they weren't heavy, embossed or overly embellished. Never again!!! General purpose all the way for me!
My experience exactly! I use the general-purpose for everything (except scrapbooks, which I don't do at all).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have loaded it with the non-acid free and it is definitely a lot stickier than Snail! I've got 2 rolls of acid free that I'm airing out on the porch, so we'll see if it helps with the kind of chemical smell they have. But all the comments about the non acid free being fine for cards is point well taken. That's all I make.

And I'm not finding the size of the gun much of an issue, to my surprise. But you really don't get a chance to move something once it touches down! Once it's got tape on it, you have to get it right the first time, because it's stuck! I guess that a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes