Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a whole new set of ink pads?

Getting back to stamping, so I'm checking out all my stuff, making sure it still works, seeing what I have to buy, etc... I have about 70 ink pads. Most still work. Others are dry. It's all from one company. Well that company has updated their inks. Their new pads have that oh so easy flip tops. So, I'm thinking about buying reinkers and they now have some new colors, so some of the colors I have or had are now discontinued. Buying reinkers is a bit cheaper than restocking myself with new pads. But, then again... do I want new pads?
I mainly like using dye inks. I've been out of the loop including products, what's hot, what's not. So, I have no idea what to do...lol Seriously, it's probably a no brainer, but I'm just curious. What would you do??? I might take that advice and do it...lol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're talking about the SU inks, here's a thread that may be helpful:

'New' SU ink pads by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't buy 70, that's for sure! But yes. If I was starting over, I would buy new - maybe the 'in colors' and neutrals to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I buy the reinkers and re-ink the pads. I am buying all of SU's pads right now since those are the ones I really like for my style of stamping. I wanted one full set of ink pads in my art tools. I bought the reinkers first because you can do so much with them.

Any new inks on the market right now I buy the reinkers and make my own. It's cheaper and I can make my own custom color palettes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

I too am thinking of doing this. I may even join because of the specials next month and then getting 30% off the first order would make it really worthwhile. I hate reinking.....seems like the ink just soaks in and the pad stays as dry as ever. My pads are 9 years old and I think have just outlived their usefulness.

For the demo kit, I think you can also pick all your own preferences up to $125 for $99.

I asked my demo some questions and she didn't seem to know. Told me to go sign up online which I tried to do but that tells me to see my demo. Wonder if I should switch demos as it seems to me this is a basic she should know. So I need to find out how to sign up. Any demos near Greensboro looking for a downline?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Have you considered the Inkssentials Perfect Ink Refresher? It says:
Suitable for pigment and dye based ink pads, water based markers and rainbow pads.

I have used it with success on my old style SU pads that are retired and don't have reinkers. Plus, if they are dried out but the ink is still there (from disuse, not too much use) I think re-inking might just make it... goopy? I don't know . But the refresher is on sale at Joann.com right now - here and if you buy some other things they are doing free shipping on orders of $50.

Of course that's sort of topic, since you sound like you would like the new style pads, and they really are nice. I am planning to get a few in colors I don't have to start with, but I can't afford to completely buy a new set, particularly when my old ones /are/ working for now.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the link. They're actually CTMH ink pads. But, now I'm curious about SU! I'm also really big into altering and blending. So, I was looking at the Adirondacks and the other Ranger Inks. There's so many to choose from now! ugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
If you're talking about the SU inks, here's a thread that may be helpful:

'New' SU ink pads by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Great idea!! I really need to think this through! I certainly don't want to spend tons. Maybe I should also weed out the colors I don't use often.

But, that's such a smart way to go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I buy the reinkers and re-ink the pads. ...

Any new inks on the market right now I buy the reinkers and make my own. It's cheaper and I can make my own custom color palettes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Yikes! I would. Even if she doesn't know she should at least try and get the answer and reach out to you. I dunno I did when I was a consultant. :( Good luck with that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajitldyView Post
... Wonder if I should switch demos as it seems to me this is a basic she should know. So I need to find out how to sign up. Any demos near Greensboro looking for a downline?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

That's smart too! I also want it NOW! But you're right I can buy it in small sets at first if I go that route!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
I wouldn't buy 70, that's for sure! But yes. If I was starting over, I would buy new - maybe the 'in colors' and neutrals to start.

Great options and suggestions ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I'd buy just a few colors and see if you actually use them first. I have a whole bunch of SU colors but mostly use black or brown ink and color in images these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I have used some of the new pads from SU. They are fantastic. Nothing like the old pads. They are foam and ink up the stamps so much better. The black is now black and not purplish black.

I love them so much that I ordered all new pads. I have them and love them. If you can afford it buy a color family at one time and the pads are only 4.95 each instead of 5.95.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

That's a good idea. Also buying in small quantities makes it manageable. I tend to use a lot of colors. I like to blend for backgrounds. But, there are a few that I do tend to use over and over again. Right now working with the blues, purples and oranges.
Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
IMO I'd buy just a few colors and see if you actually use them first. I have a whole bunch of SU colors but mostly use black or brown ink and color in images these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by momishappyView Post
If you can afford it buy a color family at one time and the pads are only 4.95 each instead of 5.95.
That is good to know!! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajitldyView Post
I too am thinking of doing this. I may even join because of the specials next month and then getting 30% off the first order would make it really worthwhile. I hate reinking.....seems like the ink just soaks in and the pad stays as dry as ever. My pads are 9 years old and I think have just outlived their usefulness.

For the demo kit, I think you can also pick all your own preferences up to $125 for $99.

I asked my demo some questions and she didn't seem to know. Told me to go sign up online which I tried to do but that tells me to see my demo. Wonder if I should switch demos as it seems to me this is a basic she should know. So I need to find out how to sign up. Any demos near Greensboro looking for a downline?
OK, your demo should know this, or have been able to find out easily.
If you go to the SU! page, you can do the Demonstrator Locator which will give you a list of the demonstrators near your address. Call them and ask them your questions. How they answer may help you make the decision.

If you want somebody close by so that you can participate in team activities, go local. Otherwise, there are great demos who have teams all over the country, and provide them with great support.

What kind of questions do you have? I'll do my best to answer them for you.

In simplest terms, you 'just' go to a demos' website, and follow the prompts. But you probably want to think about what exactly you are going to get in your kit. You can spend between $99 and $125, and can't go over.
If you join in June, you also receive a free stamp set and package of paper. You have until the end of September to order $300.
If you join in July, no extras (that we know of yet). you have until the end of December to order $300.

If you want to pursue this as any type of business - even as a hobby where you have classes for some friends and they order from you - you'll probably want to choose a demonstrator who will give you some support.

Sorry for the long post. I get carried away sometimes (often) (usually?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the old SU pads and all the re-inkers...40+ distress ink pads with reindeers, calk inks, Archival ink pads and reinkers and a few other kinds. That is a TON of ink pads. For what I do, that is enough. I will pick up new colors if I like them, but I am no longer a demo and stamp for fun and creating, so as long as I have reinkers I am not buying the new pads. But if you are going to be taking part in SU activities likes swaps with current colors and other things, you may want to start adding slowly. See how you like them. I do refresh my pads and rein and that works well for me. All the best to you.....enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 2 cents worth:

Yes, I would buy a whole new set of ink pads if I knew for sure that I LOVED them and could afford it. Of course I was devastated when SU retired Mauve Mist and thought I could never live without Creamy Caramel. Now, I have Early Espresso and Marina Mist that I LOVE and I am thinking about donating the other two "favorites".
So, if your tastes change with trends, an entire set may not be the way to go.

If you are not sure what's out there, I say buy 1 or 2 of each brand and see what you like. Many people here love Ranger's distress inks, but I am not one of them. So I am glad I didn't buy the entire set when they first came out. I also saw a video that shows you how to use SU inks (though I am sure other dye inks would work as well) in a way similar to distress inks. If you have 1 or 2 pads to try out different techniques with, then you can decide how creative you want to be and which ones will work out best for you.

I had to reink one of my SU pads and it was super easy and not gooey. I also tried to reink a pad from Michaels a looong time ago and that was a gooey mess that ended up in the garbage before the ink on the receipt dried. I am sure each pad will respond differently; another reason to test a few out.

I have not had the pleasure of using the new SU pads yet, but I am excited to. If I really love them, then I will purchase a few in my fav colors since I am confident that those are my favorite ink pads to use.

Sorry about the long post, but I do love to hear myself type.
Good luck and have fun shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

if anyone is interested I'm doing a big purge of stamp pads. I have all of the SU old ink pads and reinkers, This is including the 'in colors' for several years. If you or anyone is looking for a particular color, please let me know. :Let's make a deal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
If you are not sure what's out there, I say buy 1 or 2 of each brand and see what you like. Many people here love Ranger's distress inks, but I am not one of them. So I am glad I didn't buy the entire set when they first came out. I also saw a video that shows you how to use SU inks (though I am sure other dye inks would work as well) in a way similar to distress inks. If you have 1 or 2 pads to try out different techniques with, then you can decide how creative you want to be and which ones will work out best for you.

Sorry about the long post, but I do love to hear myself type.
Good luck and have fun shopping!
I did the same thing buy the 1 or 2 each brand of pads to see what I liked. When I first did that I was just confused, lol. There were so many stamp pads out on the market. Then I was mad at myself for buying only two pads of each because I thought it was a waste of money. I am so glad I bought the 1 or 2 each of the stamp pads because it was not a waste of money & I really learned what I liked and what my style was. Now, all those stamp pads have gone too good homes and I have the sets and reinkers right for me. I think that is great stamp advice is to buy 1 or 2 of each.

I laughed about the Distress Inks. Add me to that club who doesn't like them. Sorry Tim. Lovely inks not lovely for me. Plus, I use Gum Arabic or Ox Gall to make my own "Distress Inks".

I am quite quite in real life. I start typing I yack, yack, yack, lol. I love you wrote "hear myself type". That made me laugh.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
Here is my 2 cents worth:
If you are not sure what's out there, I say buy 1 or 2 of each brand and see what you like.
The brand I really want is the Adirondacks. I'm just not sure if they work as well as they use to. So, I will actually purchase a few and see if I like them.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I laughed about the Distress Inks. Add me to that club who doesn't like them. Sorry Tim. Lovely inks not lovely for me. Plus, I use Gum Arabic or Ox Gall to make my own "Distress Inks".
Is there a way to get this recipe I do like the distress inks, how long they tend to stay wet. But... I'm not found of all the colors. I would like to learn to make my own. Share?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

After reading everyone's suggestions, this is what I'm deciding to do. And what will be the most cost effective, I hope.

I sat down and went through all 70. I didn't at first. I opened 3 and those 3 were dead and I assumed all were dead...lol
So, I went through them all. The ones that are still working, and I'm amazed there are actually quite a few. Then I put a pile together of the ones that need to be reinked. I went through CTMH to find out which colors were discontinued and which colors closely matched the new ones. Threw away dead ones that don't have colors matches.

My plan, not sure if it will work. Buy a few reinkers to see if I can use them on the old pads. If I can then perfect... I'll just reinkers. If I can't... then I have to buy a whole new set. I use to pull off the tops and it didn't bother me so I defnitely don't need the shiney new ones... (I think...lol) But, anyone out there know if I can use the reinkers on the old pads?

If I can't, then I'll start buying a few pads from SU, Adirondacks and from CTMH. See which ones I like better. Then from there start buying sets. I actually had to figure out if I did use most of the colors. And out of 70 there were maybe 10-15 I didn't use much. I really like to blend, use the colors as watercolor paints, etc... so I like mixing making new colors and just having fun w/ them. The Adirondacks use to be so juicy and great for blending. I watched a Claudine Hellmuth video the other day with her blending with them and they still look juicy.

So, this is the plan so far... I have no idea if I'll stick to it. but it sounds good...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I hate to sound like a broken record, but before you toss the ones without available re inkers you should really try the Perfect Ink Refresher spray, assuming your brand is compatible (I am not familiar with them so I don't know). It is inexpensive and may save a few of those pads for you!

Otherwise, sounds like a great plan .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but before you toss the ones without available re inkers you should really try the Perfect Ink Refresher spray, assuming your brand is compatible (I am not familiar with them so I don't know). It is inexpensive and may save a few of those pads for you!

Otherwise, sounds like a great plan .
You're not a broken record. I totally forgot you said that!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyMaeView Post
Is there a way to get this recipe I do like the distress inks, how long they tend to stay wet. But... I'm not found of all the colors. I would like to learn to make my own. Share?
No recipe online. I just started playing with all my watercolor mediums and tried to mimic the Distress Inks.

I add a few drops of Stampin Up reinkers to Rangers Cut & Dry felt pads. I add a few drops of Gum Arabic or Ox Gall. I mainly use Ox Gall because it does blend better. You can add a spritz of rubbing alcohol too from a spray bottle. I use 90% rubbing alcohol. A lot of times I leave this out.

Tim adds a few other things to his inks. I swear one of the brown inks smells like honey. Watercolor use very few mediums. This is a great article that shows different watercoloring mediums: Watercolor Mediums Explained. I own almost all of those mediums.

You can add glycerin to the Faux Distress inks so you can emboss. I almost forgot to add that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyMaeView Post
I really like to blend, use the colors as watercolor paints, etc... so I like mixing making new colors and just having fun w/ them. The Adirondacks use to be so juicy and great for blending. I watched a Claudine Hellmuth video the other day with her blending with them and they still look juicy.
This is my stamping style. I love to blend, use my pads as watercolor paints. I love to make new colors and my own palettes.

I have a whole set of brush markers I use to ink my stamps. I like my markers better because I have more control where I want the ink to go on my stamp. I use my ink pads to ink larger stamps, braying techniques & blending.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
Have you considered the Inkssentials Perfect Ink Refresher? It says:
Suitable for pigment and dye based ink pads, water based markers and rainbow pads.

I have used it with success on my old style SU pads that are retired and don't have reinkers. Plus, if they are dried out but the ink is still there (from disuse, not too much use) I think re-inking might just make it... goopy? I don't know . But the refresher is on sale at Joann.com right now - here and if you buy some other things they are doing free shipping on orders of $50.
!
I also use Inkessentials Perfect Ink refresher frequently on both dye and pigment ink pads, and it works very well. When it stops working very well, I know it's time to use the re-inker. I would try the refresher first. If your ink is dried, it may bring it back to life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

[ I laughed about the Distress Inks. Add me to that club who doesn't like them. Sorry Tim. Lovely inks not lovely for me. Plus, I use Gum Arabic or Ox Gall to make my own "Distress Inks".

I am quite quite in real life. I start typing I yack, yack, yack, lol. I love you wrote "hear myself type". That made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. Please explain. What are Distress Inks? And why should I care?
(my life is pretty limited ... if SU! doesn't have it, I don't know about it. I'm trying to widen my horizons ... at least in knowledge)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
ok. Please explain. What are Distress Inks? And why should I care?
(my life is pretty limited ... if SU! doesn't have it, I don't know about it. I'm trying to widen my horizons ... at least in knowledge)
THis might help - it isn't my speciality but this is the most recent Tim Holtz sales pitch *cough* I mean summer distress inks... Scroll down to the demo.

summer seasonal distress… | Tim Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes