Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what die cutter should i buy?

I have the original baby cricut, and have had it for a number of years. it has some issues with functioning, doesn't want to load properly etc. was considering purchasing the expression or expression 2 as i would love the ability to cut larger. that said, i had scal v2. my computer died, taking with it the serial codes etc. i know you can purchase scal off ebay or etsy, but wasn't sure it would work with the expression or expression 2? anyone know? or should i change direction and go with the silhouette? do you like yours? is it hard to learn? any thoughts? what does it cut? svgs? or do you have to purchase cartridges? i know NOTHING about the silhouette....
thanks for any thoughts or advice!
Tracyg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tracy~~SCAL will not work with any Expression, unless you have not updated your cricuts. Did you contact the place from where you purchased your SCAL? Maybe they have a record and could help you with the codes thereby saving you the cost for new. . My next machine will be either a eClips or Silhouette Cameo. The plus for the Cameo--not cartridge based. I have been watching videos on both machines. Just do a search on Sailhouette Cameo videos and eClips videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default die cut

i did contact but they will only replace if you have the original serial numbers grrrr....after looking around and doing some research, i think i am sold on the cameo. like that it is larger, and hey i am behind the times, but holy crow, gina k has stamps and coordinating cut files lol! that was sooooo coool! definitely want the larger size too! I am so not a techie kinda gal, but gina k's youtube video was so straightforward and covered the basics, that i was going hey, i could manage that! so really leaning in that direction.
thanks for the reply, would love to hear what anyone else thinks!
Tracyg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

svgcuts.com also has a video on using the Silhouette and either the SCAL software or the Silhouette deluxe edition. And on SVGcuts.com, he actually tells you that you do not need both programs. So when researching where you are going to purchase the Cameo, see if here are any bundles that include the deluxe edition software. Let me know what you think aobut the Silhouette. I have been using my SU software and SCAL program to cut matching punches for layering, etc. Like you, I am not a technie girl, but I am learning so much just by watching the various videos. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just ordered the eClips from Oh My Crafts. Gail, do you think I could potentially relatively easily replace all of my manual punches with my files from MDS and the eClips? I do so much digitally now and am really enjoying my ever growing digital collection that it seemed like a natural progression. I would like to do more hybrid projects as well. I've never really used punches a lot, instead I just seem to collect them, lol!

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Terri, I am just getting into the Mds2. I know that I am impressed that I can make layers for the punches I have in MDS2. But I do use my punches a lot and do not know that I would like to start up my computer, Cricut when I need a punch. Plus for those who attend my classes, it is so much easier for them to stamp and then center the punch around th stamped image. Even when i show them to use the removal adhesive to hold the shape in place while using a samj, there seems to be quite a few do overs.I wish I had an answer for you. You will have to let me know what you think of the eclipse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailsView Post
Terri, I am just getting into the Mds2. I know that I am impressed that I can make layers for the punches I have in MDS2. But I do use my punches a lot and do not know that I would like to start up my computer, Cricut when I need a punch. Plus for those who attend my classes, it is so much easier for them to stamp and then center the punch around th stamped image. Even when i show them to use the removal adhesive to hold the shape in place while using a samj, there seems to be quite a few do overs.I wish I had an answer for you. You will have to let me know what you think of the eclipse.
I'd thought of the stamp then cut we do with the punch as one complication. I will fiddle. I haven't purged my punch collection yet, need to see how all of this techie stuff works first!

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailsView Post
Tracy~~SCAL will not work with any Expression, unless you have not updated your cricuts. Did you contact the place from where you purchased your SCAL? Maybe they have a record and could help you with the codes thereby saving you the cost for new. . My next machine will be either a eClips or Silhouette Cameo. The plus for the Cameo--not cartridge based. I have been watching videos on both machines. Just do a search on Sailhouette Cameo videos and eClips videos.
The Eclips can be used without cartridges also: Sizzix.com - Die-Cutting and Embossing Tools for Today I have friends who have it & love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks for adding that. Yes, if you purchase the eCal version of Sure Cuts A Lot you can cut other shapes, etc. I hear many good things about the eClips.
Reply With Quote Likes