Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #321  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..so here is a link to another thread about WC paper and the blog I mentioned..

Louise Forsyth - Punknscrap
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #322  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thanks for the link about watercolor paper. There is so much to learn!

So I just received my NEW Prismacolor Pencils and DERWENTS! I just had to break out the Derwents-they look soooo fun! The color really is as intense as it has looked in videos etc! WOW! Now I just have to learn how to use them.
So here is my very first Inktense coloring-and yes, I was working fast, I was so excited to be using them!
Water color chatter-derwents.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for your input, ladies!

Lee Ann

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #323  
Kookie Creator

I saw a video with Inktense blending and no water. From watching videos and comparing Derwert Inktense and Prisma, it seems that the Inktense pencils blending without water has fewer pencil lines showing than blending Prismas has. Is that right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #324  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,134 Likes on 511 Posts

What were they using to blend? some kind of solvent?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #325  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippetgirlView Post
Thanks for the link about watercolor paper. There is so much to learn!

So I just received my NEW Prismacolor Pencils and DERWENTS! I just had to break out the Derwents-they look soooo fun! The color really is as intense as it has looked in videos etc! WOW! Now I just have to learn how to use them.
So here is my very first Inktense coloring-and yes, I was working fast, I was so excited to be using them!
Attachment 266709

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for your input, ladies!

Lee Ann
Beautiful! you make me want to get my pencils out and play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #326  
Kookie Creator

In the tutorial blending Inktense pencils, they didn't use a solvent, just blended over the top of a previous color much like the Copic tutorials I have seen. There did not seem to be any pencil lines. I think they used circular motions to blend. I, too, was surprised they could accomplish that without water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #327  
Kookie Creator

Here is a link to the tutorial using Inktense pencils with no water
Secret Garden with Inktense Pencils - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #328  

How very interesting!

I keep reading about using them on fabrics - that is on my list of things to try!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #329  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
How very interesting!

I keep reading about using them on fabrics - that is on my list of things to try!
Dini..would you need to seal them on fabric? How awesome to be able to put those vibrant colors on something to use or wear! ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #330  

From what I read, NO - they are permanent after they're blended with water. I haven't tried it though.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #331  
Crimping Master

Hmm..that is so cool if it works..I have something I can give it a go on to check out...I will try to get to it this weekend and come back and let you know how it went.

OH..what kind of ink would you use to stamp on fabric with ..if you wanted to use a stamp...???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #332  

There used to be an ink called Fabrico that was made for fabrics... Stazon though maybe?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #333  
Crimping Master

I was thinking Stazon Dini..and naturally, I don't have any LOL..But..I wonder if you could just draw your outline w/ the outliner and then fill it in? I will give that a try. I do need some stazon though..
Oh Anglenorth I believe, suggested a fabric ink to me a while back when I was going to work on a canvas tote I bought over the summer but never got around to it..I will go dig that up and see what that ink was..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #334  
Crimping Master

OK..it won't let me edit ( my computer died a tragic death and I am using an old one until the parts come for my husband to build my new one..so the edit button dissapears on me from time-to-time HA!)..anyway

It iwas Versacraft ink . I am going to order some I think. I have several home projects and a few other wearable things that I want to work on so I think this ink would be a good invesment..When I get it I will let you now how it works.

Have you ever used Stazon on fabric??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #335  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Staz-on is not meant to be used on fabric. It states that on the pad directions. It can be used on leather, however.

Versacraft is made to be used on fabric. It needs to be heat set after stamping to work properly. I don't know how well it holds up over time. I know there is a thread discussing fabric somewhere on Splitcoast. Perhaps you could find it by performing a search.

I am still looking for a good way to color on fabric. I would like to stamp a design on tea towels and then color the design. I bought fabric markers, but they did not stay color fast at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #336  
Crimping Master

Thank you Annie..that helpe me a lot. Stazon is kinda pricey and if it won't work then I won't bother with it LOL, plus it smells fnky to me HA!

I have some waterproof inks that I am going to try..and a few different ink pads..I will heat set them then submerge into water b/c I ruin a pricey canvas tote I bought..that would make me sad LOL.

I think( from what I have managed to read via google ) ..fabric paints ..or regular acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium would be more appropriate if you wanted to wash the items ( and I KNOW I would need to wash a canvas tote I use ). I do have some of that in my cart for a class I am teaching next month..I will def. come back and report on how all that works when I get the products and ahve time to experiment with them..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #337  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Inkin One for the info! I've been thinking I need to use fabric paint, but have not been sure how to combine it with the stamping. I just have not figured out how to stamp and then paint, without losing your stamping. Fabric paint is pretty thick and you would lose any details that you painted over. I keep thinking I should stamp, paint, and then overstamp the design a second time. I am just not sure if it would work. I would love to be able to use my kitchen and food type stamps for tea towels. I think they would be little works of art and I would enjoy using them every day. I also think they would make great gifts if I could get it figured out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #338  
Crimping Master

Annie, I saw *something* *somewhere* lol.where someone used regular acrlic paint on a solid image stamp..( it was a 2-step stampins set I *think*...) anyway she got a larg blobish..splotchy image BUT..then she stamped the coordinating line image over it..and it was awesome looking! This was done on canvas..but I bet with the fabric medium mixed with the paint..you could do the same thing?? What about coloring your image with the fabric markers then stamping..and fillling in with the markers where needed? That might do the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #339  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I am still looking for a good way to color on fabric. I would like to stamp a design on tea towels and then color the design. I bought fabric markers, but they did not stay color fast at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Tsukineko All Purpose Inks- Tsukineko � high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects. Quilt artists use Fantastix Tsukineko � high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects to apply the colors. Once heat set your project is washable. I have a lot of friends who are quilting artists. I have a DH who is a quilting artist too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #340  
Crimping Master

Dee Ann I am glad you chimed in here..I read on line yesterday about Tsukineko being well liked for fabric. I also read somewhere they were heat setting with a pressing cloth..do you know if this is needed or not?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #341  
Crimping Master

OK..so I had a few minutes to play around in here yesterday ( have my dd home with the croup ) but I tried some archival black ink and my Bombay India Inks ( which are *supposed* to be waterproof)..I just used an old white t-shirt to experiment on..the ink pad actually stayed after it was heat set( with a heat tool) but the color wasn't very vibrant..more dull but it is an older ink pad so that may have ben the issue there. The inks lifted a good deal..but I didn't heat set them..just let dry over night. Will try heat setting ..but truthfully, I think the best way to go is just to use materials slated for fabric..the inks mentioned above and fabric paints or markers just to be safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #342  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a video recently on the tube about painting with watercolors and inks and a lady mentioned to make your inks permanent:
1) wash the item/fabric to remove factory added sizing
2) do not use fabric softner
3) let dry for several days, she often waits up to a week before heat setting. Some how it helps the paint/inks "set up" first.

sorry I don't have a link, it was one of those late nite can't sleep so I'll surf the web moments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #343  
Crimping Master

Thank you for the tips, Stacy. I knew about numbers 1 & 2, but had never heard to wait to heat set. I will give that a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #344  
Mad Swapper

Your welcome

I'd never heard to wait that long either. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list of to do's.

BTW, I did stamp the trim on some kitchen towels years ago with Ancient Page ink which was supposed to be waterproof but it faded with washing. A little bit more each time until gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #345  
Crimping Master

OH thanks for those tips Stacy..I also had never heard to wait that long either. I just ordered some fabric medium and Versacraft ink to try so hopefully those things will be here soon and I can come back to report on my experiments LOL..

I think it was Anglenorth on here that suggested the Versacraft ink to me a while back when I first bought that canvas bag and wanted to do something to it. I will use the fabric medium with my paints ..and go from there. I watched a video on using Inktense on fabric and she used fabric medium to *wet* the fabric first then used the inktense over top of it. If IRC..she said to let it dry for at least 24 hours..and I guess the fabric medium sets the Inktense? I will experimnet and come back as soon as I get my order ( it is from Joanns so it will certainly be on the slow boat..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #346  
Mad Swapper

I'm looking forward to hearing your results, I've thought about stamping on fabric again but haven't gotten to it.

BTW: I am wanting buy a quality set of watercolors, ready to move to on from the "kiddie set" I have now. I just can't decide on tube or pans, any suggestions, pro's, con's etc woud really be appreciated. Money I earned for jury duty is burning a hole in my pocket big time, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #347  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
BTW: I am wanting buy a quality set of watercolors, ready to move to on from the "kiddie set" I have now. I just can't decide on tube or pans, any suggestions, pro's, con's etc woud really be appreciated. Money I earned for jury duty is burning a hole in my pocket big time, lol.
No argument, no debate you want tubes all the way over the pans. You can make your own custom pan paint palettes with the tubes. You will get a lot more life out of the tubes than pans. Even though the tubes are more expensive upfront they are more economical in the end.

Which kiddie set do you have? I have the Artist Loft set. I love that set!!!! I found out the Artist Loft watercolors are actually more chalkier than the other student grade watercolor sets. Now, I know why I love them so much.

I also have my Crayolas. I am proud of that. ! I like to use Crayolas for backgrounds when I am art journaling. They make a nice background starter. Plus, it's Crayola! Who can't have fun with Crayola?

For quality paints you will want the tubes. For fun paints you want pan palettes. One of the nice things about the cheap pan palettes when your done with the paint you have a new palette to make your own watercolor schemes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #348  
Mad Swapper

2 Rose Art hand me downs (or would those be hand me ups if they come from the kid) and a 36 color set by Loew-Cornell. It's a nice basic set and I've managed to do a lot with it but the colors can be a bit chalky and non true at times so would like to get something better. Just couldn't decide which way to go, lol.

Thanks!! I'll start stalking various sites for a "deal" ;-) on a basic tube set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #349  
Mad Swapper

I just scanned thru this entire thread (and yes it too a while, lol) and realized I have not shared an idea I came up with several years ago when playing with twinks:

I had picked up a couple of those plastic pill organizers free at one time and began using them for a mixing palette. Mix your color, use, then when done close up (after dry) and put way. Perfect for on the go.

You can even glue a swatch of the color on the lid -inside, outside or both. You can get the one week organizers at dollar stores or go "high" dollar at many discount big box stores for a larger full month size still pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #350  
Die Cut Diva

I can see why you want a good set of watercolors. ! The "cheap" watercolors are fun too. I am an equal opportunity coloring girl. It is so luxurious to own a nice set of watercolors. You will be in bliss.

I make palettes out of pill boxes too. Isn't that so much fun?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #351  

That IS fun! I bought a good palette from Blick that has a removable tray - love that, and it closes up tight for traveling. I have tube paints from Shinhan, and I love them.

You all will appreciate my Mix-Ability challenge this Friday - it involves water-soluble mediums!!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #352  
Die Cut Diva

Dini- I can't wait till Friday. I hope my power is on then. We are going through an ice storm right now and I keep staring at the lines getting iced up. Like all my staring is going to make that ice miraculously melt or something, lol.

Besides staring outside every two seconds I am watching You Tube videos. When I logged into You Tube I had a recommendation for an Inktense tutorial

Here's the tutorial- Inktense Pencil Flower - YouTube

I thought it was really good. Dawn if you post here your tutorial was lovely. I am still trying to figure out how I got a recommendation for it because I got the recommendation for watching a Kawaii polymer clay tutorial which had nothing to do with color pencils or stamping, ROFL! Only You Tube. If I log into Netflix I bet it will say because you watched Downtown Abbey you will love Rambo. !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #353  
Die Cut Diva

I meant to write Darlene not Dawn. I am so sorry Darlene. I even had your name in my mind but typed Dawn. I don't even know what I was thinking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #354  
Crimping Master

You girls had a party this morning ! LOL
I have to second DeeAnn on tube watercolors..they are the biggest bang for your buck..easier to blend and you can make your own pallets out of them. There are many affordable brands too.

I also LOVE that tutorial you linked to DeeAnn..I can't believe she gets such nice results using the pencils dry..I had never really thought about not using water with them..maybe b/c I have colored pencils? But that is a nice alternative.

Dini..looking forward to your challenge..I wanted to participate in the first 2 but I have had sick kids for what seems like an eternity and just couldn't make it happen. I hope to get to play tomorrow with yours though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #355  
Die Cut Diva

I just found this tutorial to use watercolor paints and oil pastels together- Mini Tute- Pastels with Watercolors - MORE ART, LESS CRAFT I hope it's helpful for you all.

I hope everyone that was in the path of crazy insane storm are safe and sound. If the storm is on it's way I hope it's not bad. We lost our power twice. It was only five minutes, thank gosh. The storm was beautiful with a downpour of ice mixed with thunder and lightning. Once it started you could not get me or my cat away from the window. We were just fascinated. She was a beautiful storm.

I know some of you know I do storm chase. I did not chase this storm. I will never chase an ice storm again. I know some of you know my DH & I lost almost everything in the 2007 ice storm that hit my area, including most of our animals. We both have frostbite damage to my hands and feet from that storm. We were without power with only hot water for two weeks. It was subzero temps. We could not leave our home so we could keep our babies alive. We lost them any way. I really hate ice storms but I live in an area where they love to visit. I did enjoy this latest one because she was so pretty and unique. I love pretty and unique.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #356  
Mad Swapper

Okay that decides it you n hubby need to move to TX, ice only lasts one day usually around here, mostly not even that long. LOL

I sat down last night to stamp a scene so I could watercolor and lets just say it was not my day for stamping. So many smudges, crooked stamps and images that did not stamp well in spots. Good grief Charlie Brown!

Gonna try again this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #357  
Die Cut Diva

One of my dearest friends in the world was always trying to get me & my husband to move to Texas. Every conversation was "When are you moving down here?" ! He swore he would never move back to Missouri. He hates the cold, snow & ice. If it''s sixty degrees he's crying. What did he do this year? He moved back to Missouri. I was tempted to taunt him today but I was good. ROFL!

I hate days where my stamping doesn't go right. It's huge STAMP FAIL day. I give up and play a game, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #358  
Mad Swapper

I do love my annual visits to southern Missouri for a family reunion. How about we split things up, summers up there and winters down here? ;) LOL

I tried to make the best of things and made placement notes and over stamped a couple of things to see how they would look. DH is working tonite so hopefully....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #359  
Die Cut Diva

No thank you! I hate the Summers here, lol. It's just humidity and more humidity and even more humidity, ROFL! If I was a billionaire I would spend Winter in Paris, Spring in Paris, Summer in Paris & Fall in Paris, lol.

I hope you had a better stamping luck this weekend. I am not crafting at all. I am working on a huge project that is really stressful but it's fun. I really do want to play with my coloring tools. They keep looking at me like I hate them and I am neglectful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #360  
Mad Swapper

Try 100+ temps plus the gulf coast humidity of %80 ...
but yeah I've experienced the humidity up there before it can be very stiffling.

Lol I came really close to buying an off, off, off brand set of watercolor tubes at Big Lots, they were only $3 but I was not shopping for me and had promised myself I would behave besides I didn't want to stand in the line just for that on a Saturday.

DH works really early morning shifts and is in bed with the chickens usually so I rarely get to lounge in bed reading and watching movies, needless to say that called my name louder that my stamping stuff last nite.

Last edited by stampin stacy; 02-24-2013 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes