Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I took a much closer look as the small tonic was cutting paper. It was not the blade on up swing making notches. Inside the blade arm, there is a line of molded sharp points that hit the paper if you bring the blade down all the way. These points are making contact with paper, some more than others.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #42  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm away from my tools for a few weeks but I'll look at my notch problems on my small Tonic when I get back to see if the sharp molded points are visible. Seems like this is a pretty big flaw. I haven't had mine long. I really notice it on darker cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 04:21 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Yep, the cherry cobbler and navy papers especially. i contacted tonic and have not had a response yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

When I had a notch problem with my 12 x 12 a few years ago, they sent me a brand new one and told me to keep the old one for parts! I've been using this new one for probably 7-8 years and never needed any of the parts which I still have! Hope you have as good of service as I did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I LOVE my heavy-duty Carl Cutter! I'm an SU demo, and I cut cardstock for Stamp Camps and classes and I cut 6-7 sheets of heavy SU cardstock at one time, with amazing accuracy! I replaced the blade once, after many years, and the cutting mat underneath where the blade goes, a couple of times. Only thing it doesn't do is cut small pieces, because the mechanism of the cutter makes it almost impossible to cut anything less than 2 inches. You can, however, cut 1" off an 11" sheet of cardstock by putting the sheet at 10", if that makes any sense. But for smaller pieces, I have either the SU trimmer or the Fiskars one (the one with the wire right where it cuts) right to the left of my stamping area, so I just need to turn in my chair. I an cut very tiny strips with those 2 cutters, but for cutting lots of cardstock, I love my Carl Cutter! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

I have been using the heavy Carl 210N for years and just replaced the blade.My cardstock cuts like butter. I have used to cut many school projects last 5 years plus my own personal cardstock. Just the best ever.
I got the small tonic since it would be more portable. It makes a pretty cut. The random notched edges need to be resolved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been eyeing a Tonic trimmer for a while, but now I'm having second thoughts. Right now I use a hand held rotary cutter with a quilting ruler. It's what I've been using since I began card making. I came to card making after making quilts for a while, so I was comfortable with the rotary cutter. I feel a bit odd for doing this as I have not come across anyone else who does it. I follow several card makers on YouTube and they all use a paper trimmer. This is what made me think that I should try it. Of course, I'm doing fine with my rotary cutter, so I'm not sure if I should invest in a paper trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Default How to replace blade

Does anyone know how to replace the 12� trimmer blade? Tonic sent me a replacement blade but I can�t get it back. I think it�s a trick so I�d have to buy a new one. Haha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 182 Likes on 84 Posts

I started reading from the first post on this thread, because I just bought that trimmer and it's still in the box. I read "this is the same one that SU sells" and thought, "Huh? We don't sell that trimmer." As I read a couple more posts I noticed the thread started nine years ago. That would explain it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

The trimmer is still available for purchase. Just not from SU. They just came out with the black/same color for Tim Holtz that�s like the SU one. Mine is the orange one that I�ve had for over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Called Tonic Studios. My trimmer is back in business. I can cut 12� paper nicely again. If you have to do this, do not adjust the Allen wrench to adjust the arm!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the tip and glad you got your trimmer fixed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

I have had horrid trimmer woes. For 5 years, my Fiskars rotary trimmer cut with precision. I warped it, taking it back and forth to crops/retreats, so bit the bullet and bought another one...just like my original. For the past 2 months, I have not gotten one single straight cut with it. Fed up, I asked for the Tim Holtz Tonic 12.5 trimmer with the 12" extention and handle storage underneath. I had to pre-order it as everyone is sold out since its introduction this year. If I do no get a good cut with it, I feel sunk.

OK, my whinging is over. ;-) I have some new stamps to play with until my new trimmer arrives. That put a smile on my face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh wow...just today I was having that problem with the tonic. I am SO unhappy. I was so hopeful.

This is the....5th cutter now? It is ridiculous. I dont know what to do anymore.

I can see why a card friend still uses his xacto blade by hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Oh wow...just today I was having that problem with the tonic. I am SO unhappy. I was so hopeful.

This is the....5th cutter now? It is ridiculous. I dont know what to do anymore.

I can see why a card friend still uses his xacto blade by hand.

I�ve seriously been considering buying a glass or magnetic mat to work on so that I can cut on it, too. Then I wouldn�t have to find space for a cutter on my table, either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been considering getting the new Tim Holtz media mat mat because it's glass. I just worry I'm only wanting it because of the video. That darn guy can sell ice cubes to Eskimos. I bought the Tonic cutter after one of his videos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
I've been considering getting the new Tim Holtz media mat mat because it's glass. I just worry I'm only wanting it because of the video. That darn guy can sell ice cubes to Eskimos. I bought the Tonic cutter after one of his videos.
That's the only Tim thing that's puzzled me - and I've tried to want it, figuring I'm missing something, because as you say, he's that good.

But - the side piece seems restrictive. I don't want to stamp on glass. And since sometimes I'd want a larger flat area instead of the desk surface with the higher glass mat surface, moving it wouldn't be the most fun. (Score boards, etc. are put back on edge using one hand and swiveling my chair.)

If I wanted to work on glass, tempered glass can be cut to cover a desktop. I have plexiglass now, and covered a large cutting mat with a Ranger craft mat - which is also easy to move (You can also buy it by the yard from Joggles.com.) But blending ink from glass does looks smoother so switching is possible.

Youtube reviews by people who don't rave about everything are out there. I'm sure it would be great for some. It just doesn't compute for me, even though the boy has even convinced me I need new black tools when the red ones are fine. Let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

The media mat is nice, but now realize I did fine before I bought it.
If I had a separate counter for watercoloring and other messy media, that could be a permanent spot for the mat.
Mostly I just do stamping, so the mat not useful for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a glass mat that works just fine. I actually prefer it to my other self-healing mat. No need for me to spend $40 on something that I already have. I can see why some people who don't already have a glass mat might want it. Glad you got your trimmer fixed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am wondering if the 8.5 TH inch cutter is better than the 12? This guy:

https://youtu.be/qnl9mfliStQ?t=1

It is different from the regular 8.5 tonic. I notice a bunch of big bloggers use it.

Does anyone have that one? Maybe the shorter arm and different blade shape are better for avoiding the dreaded shred?

I really wanted ONE....able to handle 12 x 12, but I have a trimmer that might be ok for that. I dont love it but it sort of works. I was mostly using it for thin strips. I just cant afford one of the lovely expensive big boys you have for life.

I have a We R Memory Keepers glass mat I found in TH Maxx cheap awhile back so I have that. I wish I could remember now why....it wasnt for cutting. I cant believe it would be for WCing...I just do that off my teflon mat or palette. (sigh)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

I have the 8.5" Tonic guillotine, which appears identical to the one in the 2016 video above, other than the red is now black, a change to all Tim tools. While I use a much-loved tabletop Carl cutter for most cutting, which clamps paper down and cuts many layers simultaneously, I've been using the Tonic when reducing the size of a layer, making tiny strips, etc. Of course it can't cut an 11" piece of paper lengthwise.
I bought it from scrapbook.com. The first one was defective; they shipped another immediately and didn't ask for the first one back - great CS. I like it a lot and also like my two older Fiskars.

This has nothing to do with the question, but I've found for light-weight portable cutters, sometimes standing up may be a key to getting a good cut. I suggested that to a woman who said she always got bad cuts (not with a guillotine), and it fixed the problem. It won't always, but may be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Btw, I've heard local people say they can't afford cutters like the Carl, which an LSS has for student use, but it's $85-$90, not $300. : ) For some people not buying a few stamp or die sets or ________ to afford it could be well worth it. To others, not. Cutting squarely is so key to me it drives me nuts when it isn't square.

I don't think any one trimmer can do everything perfectly. Guillotine and rotary trimmers [usually?] don't have measurements below 1" and when cutting a thin strip from an already thin strip, so I may use a Fiskars for that. It and a 8.5" Tonic are usually in a Totally Tiffany bag on a wall hook or door knob so they're reachable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

When cutting even with big Carl, I still have to be mindful of lining up cardstock top AND bottom. If I just line up with bottom mark, the top could be slightly askew.
I was having trouble with red handle TH small trimmer making notches in cardstock, especially the darker colors. (Probably more noticeable with darker colors).
I recently purchased the black handle trimmer thinking it may have a design change in the handle to avoid notches. It does the same thing. I just have to cut carefully and stop the handle before it notches the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

I agree about lining up paper on the Carl - or any trimmer. If I bump paper against the top, it's always straight. But if i place it lower, I do just what you do, line it up top and bottom. My eye happens to start at the top and goes down, but same difference. : )

*If* the new 8.5" Tonic is the same as the old except for trim and colors, the same problems might occur. This isn't a precision, scientific tool, though of course should work well. My defective one had a tiny piece of plastic stuck to a foot that I couldn't get off, so it wobbled. And the blade sometimes very slightly hit the base toward the top. I haven't noticed notching but maybe I stop the blade? I'll observe myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm at the point where I wouldn't care how much a trimmer costs if I could get straight, clean cuts. There seems to be something wrong with every trimmer I get. I'm quite sure it's operator error the majority of the time. It's usually just a tiny bit, 1/8" or less, but still makes me nuts. I only pulled my Tonic out of the box and used it a few days ago. I'm worried, it seems to be hit or miss with getting my CS cut straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

I'm the same way - nuts if it's off, and even 1/16th" bugs me so I'm nuttsier than you. ;)

I think you're so right - sometimes it's operator error - like the women I've seen who try to cut on their lap, or put the cutter on top of something so it's tilted, or they aren't over the trimmer so might try standing up.

But some trimmers are defective, or the grid is off, and $20 isn't going to get us perfection unless we're lucky. And sometimes paper is wonky right out of the package.

Even with the Carl, as Chris pointed out, you have to align the paper. But it's clamped down and can be re-checked. If it's off due to user error or a wonky piece of paper, you can reclamp and true it up. It also goes through chipboard by going back and forth with the rotary blade. A perforation blade is available. Queen of Cards here on SCS recommended it to me 1.5+ years ago. (Thank you!)

Possible minuses: The 1/4 and 1/8 lines are at the top and bottom but don't go all the way down the base. I've learned to work around that with paper positioning or making a few marks on the base - or you can use the bar (I should do that more). If you're cutting from an already very narrow strip, you'd have to shove it under the finger guard to cut it even narrower. I use a thick piece of CS or thin chipboard, but but might grab a Fiskar.

Here it is on the Carl site for $189: DC-210N 12" Heavy Duty Rotary Trimmer, Straight, Scoring, Perforating CARL Manufacturing Someone there told me they have it high to not undercut any of their sellers.

It's on Amazon for $89.99 Prime. Amazon.com : CARL Heavy Duty Rotary Paper Trimmer 12inch : Office Products

This works wonderfully for me but not everyone would want the same trimmer! Jennifer McGuire recently got and briefly demo'ed it - I can try to find the video.

ETA Here's the JM video - she reviews the Carl at about 25:30.
https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2...017-tools

Last edited by bjeans; 05-22-2018 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Added the video
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

I make a lot of cards......many gift sets. I might have only 4 out of 30 cards I need to re trim after folding. Typically because I have not paid attention to lining up both ends.
Re trimming a smidge is easy once folded.
I’ve had my Carl about 6 years....it’s as good as it gets.
Interesting Jennifer got a Carl.
I know she has commented the Tonic a fav along with her Fiskars.
Store bot cards not always straight I’ve noticed.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #68  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you for the links. I thought the Carl was much more-like 300. Good to know.

I have the fiskars JM shows-the first one. I find that arm that comes up to be very hard to get closed again. I was afraid I would break it. I wont open it again.

When I got it, I remember being told you want to get the better blade-titanium I think? So I did. I just changed it bc I was curious-it was shredding heavier CS and it stopped. I am disappointed bc that means the blade does not last as long as they said. Also for some reason it kept falling out after I had it awhile. The new one is staying put. Let's see what it is doing in 6 months.

I want to figure out how to tell if the fiskars is plumb. Never occurred to me. Should have.

Totally agree that pre-bought cards can be wonky and too thin-like the ones in Michaels. Also not A2 size.

I am now seriously considering taking my ream to Kinkos and letting them cut it for A2 in both directions (side and top) 1/2 ream each. If I lay down a layer one more time just to realize it looks crooked on the bottom because the card is off in a way I cant now fix...I may rip my hair out. I sit there and SO carefully line it up with 3 sides from the fold line and then the bottom is not right. arrgh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #69  
Gallery Gazer

Your hair may not be saved by going to Kinkos. Some Kinkos cut carefully. But some people - here, too, I think - have reported their Kinkos messed up the cuts. Fiskar stands by their products - though they can be tough to reach. If the arm is broken/defective/worn out they may replace the unit. I have that one that cuts fine - as long as I'm over it and focused. It knows when my mind is elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

I finally ordered the Carl from Amazon today after much heehawing around and messing up about ten sheets of cardstock with my two twin inaccurate Costco cutters. I figure it will pay for itself in a year since I will not have to go to Fed Ex to have my paper cut-not a cheap deal. Since my little Tonic cutter leaves notch marks after every cut it can go to the cutter graveyard along with the others. With a Fiskars wire cutter to do the small strips this seems like the best way to go. It took running out of precut cardstock and my layers no longer lining up to get to this point. Thanks for all for the Carl recommendations and video links.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

Carl has nice customer service too.
We must be the only two people with tonic notches, or we are too fussy..ha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #72  
Crimping Master

The good thing is that the notches are only on one side so if I pay attention I can use it for cuts that will have one side glued down. Also it doesn't do it every single time on some papers. Very weird. It's such a handy little size to keep in a drawer so I will probably put up with it for some cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2018, 01:17 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I went and looked at my tonic orange 8.5" trimmer, no notches. The blade side of the arm is solid smooth plastic, and indented a bit so only the blade would contact the paper, not the plastic. Like this one https://goo.gl/images/8mtd2J I assume the notched ones are these https://goo.gl/images/MLkyDb ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Huh AussieJenny. You are absolutely spot on. Wonder why I’ve only seen the unsmooth version available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

I have a notching one and it is the second image. I think I will email them. I have had mine a year so I don’t expect any reimbursement but I don’t want to buy another one if that is still a problem. Their customer service is excellent so it’s my problem for not inquiring earlier. If the first one pictured is still available I might opt for that one instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

I emailed Tonic a few days ago. Still wtg their response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #77  
Cardstock Collector

Wow...I have 4 different paper cutters and I have all the problems above. The best are the Carl and the Tonic. I have two Fiskars. The smaller version is impossible to cut paper 4 1/4 inches wide because there is no marking. The larger Fiskars for which I have several blades never cut anything straight (you could see on the cutting strip they were off...that was the worst.) The Tonic is good but at times ruins the paper. The problem is also where we place the paper (on which edge of the white marker or in the center? you all know a slight shift makes them unequal. The Carl is great for cutting just about anything. I got it because I was making bookmarks for a Ladies' Bible Seminar and had them laminated in heavy plastic and it cut them beautiful. I don't think there is a perfect cutter and I know my stamping isn't perfect so we do what we can and the handmade crafts are still very lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #78  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am hoping we might find a good cutter on sale this weekend with the holiday sales....yell out if you see one please!
Reply With Quote Likes