Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrapbookers: I need help deciding on a camera

Just wondering what kind of camera other scrapbookers use. I have a point and shoot type of Olympus (7.1 Mega Pixel) but I want to move up to a higher quality camera (10 MP at least) maybe even an SLR (gasp).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

My hubby bought me the Nikon D60 for Mother's Day this past year and I absolutely LOVE it! It's an amazing camera. It definitely is a little pricier than a point and shoot but well worth the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote for Nikon D60!!!! This is my first DSLR and it's sooooo easy to use. Amazon has it for sale right now. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

There is thread in the Photography section that might help you decide also. It's right before Everyday Chit Chat.
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am on my 5th digital camera. I got into digital photography years ago and my first camera was a 1.3 megapixel...and that was a big deal! I currently have a 2 year old Kodak (my 3rd Kodak) Z series. Love it...user friendly with quite a few bells and whistles. My previous camera was a high end model with lenses etc. and it broke in a year. Very disappointed and was never really that happy with the pictures. What I have found over time is having a good macro/zoom function is more important than the megapixels (as long as you have over 5). The higher megapixels are good for hugh enlargements and very small crops. I like to change the perspective of my photographs with the macro/zoom. Personally, I prefer a camera that has the look and feel of my old 35mm. The larger shape allows me the hold the camera more stable as I compose the shot. I am actually working on a post for my blog that shares some photography "tips" that I have learned over the years. Check it out, I should have it done in a day or so.
www.cindyleek.myctmh.com
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Thoreau
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not a scrapbooker, but last year we bought ourselves a new camera, the old one just wouldn't work anymore.

Mine is a Canon Powershot A720.

At first, it was more camera than I really wanted, even though it's a pretty simple camera, but my DH insisted we buy one with a zoom lens.

I love it! I photograph all the cards I make & store the pics on my computer. It takes great pics in all settings (and I take a lot of pics wherever I go!) and it has settings for pets, etc., to avoid the red eye.

The other thing I recently purchased that I love is a Targus USB memory card reader that plugs into my computer - now I just remove the memory card from my camera, and put it in the reader and download all my pics. Sure saves on batteries in the camera! It only cost 9.99 at Radio Shack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,078 Likes on 828 Posts

I treated myself to a new DSLR in October. I know the big two are Canon and Nikon, so that was what I went looking at. I spent a week on holidays reading through a Which DSLR magazine, and had pretty much settled on one or the other of those. But when I spent a day visiting every camera shop in Dublin - I went with Olympus. Partly because it was a good deal. Partly because,apart from an early Minolta range-finder, I've used Olympus cameras for the last 25 years and always been happy with them and had good service. And I reckoned that I would be used to all their menus and how they operate, instead of having to get used to a different style from a different manufacturer.
I've got to say I am really happy with the one I got - one of the E series, 520. Wish it had been the E3, though. It's a good idea to go into a store and feel and hold them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I treated myself to a new DSLR in October. I know the big two are Canon and Nikon, so that was what I went looking at. I spent a week on holidays reading through a Which DSLR magazine, and had pretty much settled on one or the other of those. But when I spent a day visiting every camera shop in Dublin - I went with Olympus. Partly because it was a good deal. Partly because,apart from an early Minolta range-finder, I've used Olympus cameras for the last 25 years and always been happy with them and had good service. And I reckoned that I would be used to all their menus and how they operate, instead of having to get used to a different style from a different manufacturer.
I've got to say I am really happy with the one I got - one of the E series, 520. Wish it had been the E3, though. It's a good idea to go into a store and feel and hold them.
I also went with an Olympus DSLR (e510) last year. For the price it just had more features than the comparable nikon and canon DSLR's. Plus it's considerably smaller than those cameras and I liked that as well. Good luck with your decision!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Canon Rebel XT and I love it. It was pretty pricey but I can take photographs like a pro now. I have taken some of my daughter and had many people ask where I had them done. I really like it and it does get pricey as there is always one more accessory you absolutely have to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,078 Likes on 828 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
I have the Canon Rebel XT and I love it. It was pretty pricey but I can take photographs like a pro now. I have taken some of my daughter and had many people ask where I had them done. I really like it and it does get pricey as there is always one more accessory you absolutely have to have.
Yes - I got another lens for Christmas, but I still need the macro and the dedicated flash. And of course all my filters from my film camera don't fit. Oh - and a remote shutter release. But my good expensive tripod and camera bag are digi-friendly, thank goodness for small mercies. DH was hoping my old dedicated flash would fit, but because of the different frame size, I told him it would be too complicated trying to work out the correct exposure manually every time. So he knows what to get for my birthday, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for Canon. I bought a Rebel Xsi in July and ADORE it. It was a big investment but I'm so glad I made the switch to SLR. My photos are so much more crisp and clean.

Just be sure to do your homework. Definitely check out your local Best Buy/Circuit City to look and play with the cameras there. That will give you a nice feel for what features you like, if the camera is too heavy, too bulky, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a canon rebel xt, too, and I love it, too! I would definitely buy another canon rebel if I was upgrading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I love my Nikon, it is so user friendly
I just have a Coolpix point and shoot, but if I were getting a SLR, it would be the D90. The D90 allows you to use any Nikon lens made going back to 1976!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

My aunt takes photos professional and loves her Canon camera. I asked her what she would suggest for me and she said the Canon Rebel is amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I have a Cannon Rebel XSI. It is great! I purchased it from www.banhphoto.com. The prices were good and I purchased the insurance so I would feel ok using it! Also, since they are in NY my order was tax free. You can look online and then call them with any questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I have a Nikon D50 SLR (replaced now by the D40 I think) and it's amazing.

When we bought ours it was a decision btwn the D50 and the Canon Rebel XT(i). I picked the Nikon because

(a) it had a two year warranty vs. the one year for Canon
(b) I liked the way it felt in my hands much better than the Canon
(c) it has a metal body and felt "heftier" than the Canon which has a plastic body

And BTW, my Nikon is only around 7 mP but unless you want to blow up your photos to life size it doesn't really matter. Anything around 7 will give you excellent results on up to 10 x 14 pics.

So my advice would be to go to a camera store and feel them for yourself.

Both are excellent cameras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I have a Nikon D70 (SLR) that does everything a photographer could want.

I also have a Fujifilm FinePix F20 for portability. The F20 takes remarkable photos in lowlight situations - it's an old obsolete model but I recently found a brand new one on Overstock dot com. I like it so much that when my DDs camera died, I bought her one just like it. It shoots ISO up to 1600. It is 6.3 megapixels - believe it or not, there are times when I prefer it to my D70.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Nikon D60 and love it. I chose it because it is nice-sized and easy to operate. The camera body is smaller than most DSLR's because the auto-focus motor is in the lens. It is a great point and shoot but you also have the option of manual settings.

The best thing to do is to go look at cameras and actually check out the user control panels since every one is so different snd to also see how they feel in your hands. I have owned several different types/brands over the years and for me the Nikon was the easiest to operate (not too many buttons and it actually has a help button if you need it) and takes GREAT pictures.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Cinnistew; 01-05-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Another Canon Digital Rebel lover here! I have had the XT since the minute it was available and have had more fun with it! I also have a Canon P&S and the shutter lag drives me crazy so I rarely use it. DSLR's have virtually no shutter lag and I believe (I may be wrong here) that the sensors that are used in DLSR's are less prone to noise problems. The lens thing is a problem, though, I have 6 lenses and am still dreaming of another . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmurray407View Post
The lens thing is a problem, though, I have 6 lenses and am still dreaming of another . . . .
Oh I hear ya on that... I got the D60 with two lenses (sold as a set) and now I have added an awesome macro lens... they are so addicting.

Don't even get me started on filters... they are equally addicting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did a bunch of research and had to decide what was important to me in a camera. And here was what it boiled down to....Quick response, relatively easy to pack around, decent flash options, and good low light options. I decided a point and shoot was not for me, but neither was a DSLR. I wanted to get the Nikon D40x, but was turned off that the display wasn't a "live shot". I ended up getting a Sony H50-which is a "superzoom" and have LOVED IT!!! For me it was a happy medium between a point and shoot and a DSLR. It's a 9 MP, but I don't mind whatsoever. When I would browse through ads I never saw it in there, but with some research I was able to come across it and seriously has been my best decision. Good luck with your decision!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks so much for all the input everyone! I'm planning on using my Airmiles to buy one...so it's almost like it's free...yah right. Any way the two that I'm looking at after researching on line, checking local stores, asking everyone know and asking all of you on SCS are:

Canon rebel Xsi (comes with one lens)
or
Nikon D60 (comes with one lens as well)

Thanks again....now to just pick one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

This has been a very interesting thread to read. As promised, I got the sample pix posted on my Blog. This pictures were taken with 2 different models of Kodak cameras.
www.cindyleek.myctmh.com
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Thoreau
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleekNHAView Post
This has been a very interesting thread to read. As promised, I got the sample pix posted on my Blog. This pictures were taken with 2 different models of Kodak cameras.
Those are great pictures and very good tips. Especially #7 I never get enough pictures of me with my DH and the kids.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I had a Canon Digi Rebel XT for 3 1/2 years. It is an awesome camera. I just upgraded to a Canon 50D. AMAZING difference from the Rebels! Wow!! I am in LOVE but I also plan on doing some professional work in the future so that I why I upgraded to this particular camera. I think you will LOVE a Canon DSLR. They are great cameras!
Reply With Quote Likes