Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opened my Santa present today - Vagabond 2

Today I opened my present from Santa - the Vagabond 2. I got it on Amazon a few days ago - the price had drifted down over the course of a few days from $139, to $102. I bought it at $105. Right now on Amazon it’s $149 - but who knows where the price will go.
To be honest - I already have a Cuttlebug which works just fine with most things. But I’ve bought some of those thick SU embossing folders that are 6” square - like the tufted one and tin roof. Previous SU 6x6 EF’s were slightly shorter on one side and would go through the CB, but not these latter two. Also - the CB drives me crazy sometimes with detailed dies - shimming and special papers and this and that - and still it would take a few tries and wasted paper to get a good cut.
So why the Vagabond 2? My other options were a Bigshot, and the Gemini Junior. I am really, really space limited - so despite it’s lower price and its ability to do what I needed, the Bigshot was out, as there is no space to leave it out. Between the Gemini JR and the Vagabond - the price was better on the Vagabond 2 and with that whole little suitcase thing of the vagabond - it’s much more portable and manageable than the Gemini JR. I’d probably have to keep the Gemini in a box too, to make sure it wouldn’t get damaged. The Vagabond 2 I can just put down in any spare spot in the house (right now it’s behind our full length mirror in the bedroom) and pick it up by its little handle quick and easy to use in whatever available space I have. We live in a small nyc apartment - you always have to pick up two things to put one thing down - so the little suitcase thing works very well. The fact that this is the Mach 2 version of the vagabond also clinched the deal - the gears are now metal instead of plastic, and they fixed the whole “too thick sandwich destroying the machine” thing - they’ve ironed out all the bugs and it sounded like a strong machine. Had great reviews, and when the price hit $105 (plus free shipping for me) on Amazon - I couldn’t resist.
I got it the other day and practiced a few things today - so what do I think?
Firstly - I got it out of the box a couple of days ago - but it was a bit stinky (plastic smell) so I aired it out for a while - it’s fine now. It’s a little heavier than I thought it would be - but the suitcase/handle thing makes it VERY EASY to pick up and move around - it’s really cute, and does kind of pass for decor. I have a very bad back - just taking out and putting things away is taxing, so being able to pick up and move it around so easily is a great plus for me. I love that the electric cord has its own little compartment in the machine - we have enough cords running loose in the house - so this adds to its portability and tidiness.
YOU REALLY SHOULD read the directions - but it’s super easy to get up and running. Just take your time making the right sandwich - everything is written on the plates - and there is nothing scary or tricky or comlicated at all.
EMBOSSING - oh how I LOVE my SU tinfoil EF - it came out PERFECT. So did my other EF’s - all really deep, good impressions without tearing. With the 3D SU embossing folder you leave one of the cutting plates out (ie use only the one cutting plate). I do have some We Are Memory Keepers 3D EF’s - they are thicker than regular EF’s but thinner than SU 3D ones - like 1 1/2 the size of regular. If I left a plate out they didn’t get an impression, but would not go through with two plates. I guess you could work it out with shims or thinner plates - I’ll just use them in the CB - I believe you could work it out, I’m just trying to keep things simple for myself.
DETAILED DIES - I chose my most detailed die that I’d had a lot of trouble doing on the CB. It went through ONCE - and cut and spat out every single tiny little detail. In fact - I will use thicker CS (PTI) I think at least until the machine settles down as it was so strong 1 or 2 little detailed pieces were bent. But don’t get me wrong / it’s perfect and I LOVE it.
Especially at the price - did I mention I paid $105 haha?
Anyway - I’m one very happy stamper. I did not deserve this from Santa, but my husband ok’d the purchase. Everyone has different needs and different resources - I have my CB as a back up. I REALLY LOVE MY VAGABOND 2 - worked right out of the box, does everything I want for now, without having to buy any « extras ».
Hope my review helps someone looking for a die cutting/embossing machine.
Stefany
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Just to be clear - I doubt I’ll NEED the cuttlebug- just if I had a die cutting EMERGENCY - like a black out or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stefany,
I had to laugh when reading your post. I saw that smokin deal of the $102 on amazon and bought it as well. It’s for a backup since I already own a Vagabond 2 and i use it ALL the time. Still going strong but I wouldn’t want to be without it and half price on a new one was too much to resist.
The only thing you might want to get is a squishy embossing mat and maybe a magnetic platform. Once through the machine has pretty much always been enough for my dies as well.
I bought a Gemini and did not care for it. Put it up on CL to get it off my table. So I think you made an excellent choice with the Vagabond.

Have fun cutting up all that cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Oh Bluefeather - a fellow Vagabonder! Now I don’t feel guilty at all about having a CB and the vagabond seeing as you have TWO - haha! As much as I like the cb, it’s so much easier to load up the vagabond and push the button. Well - michaels had very good specials this week - so I got a magnetic platform and a spare set of cutting plates for a total of like - $27 - and FREE SHIPPING - hurrah!! The only thing I love more than a bargain is free shipping haha! I was wondering if I “needed” something for embossing - I do have a spellbinder squishy thing - do you find the squishy thing helps? I wish we could get together to play with our V2’s - I didn’t realize how much I’d like that little case thing - thought it was kind of silly but it really is very cute - and practical.
I’m actually just embossing like crazy - but you have fun cutting too! It’s pretty quiet too which is nice! Good to hear from you Bluefeather.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE= I REALLY LOVE MY VAGABOND 2 - worked right out of the box, does everything I want for now, without having to buy any « extras ».

[/QUOTE]

Reading your post brought a real smile to my face and lightened my heart! I am so glad you got something you really wanted and that you are in love with it!!!!! ENJOY!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

That’s so sweet Skippet - thank you! My back really is very bad, making everything a struggle - I like the V2 much more than I anticipated because it doesn’t hurt my back to get it out and up and running = I can tolerate crafting longer. Thanks for sharing my joy!
Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Stefany, I'm a new owner of a Vagabond 2 as well! I think mine was $136, though. And I have TWO Big Shots! I'm an SU demo and I did some big-time Big-Shot work for September Stamp Camp and my left arm (the one that I used to hold the Big Shot in place while cutting tons of intricate die cuts) started hurting worse than usual. Hubby then helped run the Big Shot for November's Stamp Camp. Then I found out that I have a bad shoulder - lots of torn tendons, nerve impingement, etc.

While I don't blame my die-cutting for my shoulder issues, I need to be able to craft without the pain, so I got the Vagabond 2. Haven't had a ton of time to use it, though, because I've been so busy getting the MRI, blood work, doctor's visits, etc, to get ready for the surgery a couple weeks after Christmas. But I'm so glad that die-cutting will be much easier when I heal to the point that I can craft again!! I'll be in a sling full-time for at least 6 weeks.

Congrats on your Christmas present! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Hi Susan - so nice to hear from you! I’m so sorry you’re having trouble with your shoulder - as someone who has suffered from chronic pain for many years I understand how distressing on a lot of levels it can be. Take care of yourself first, so you’ll have many more happy crafting years ahead of you - not to mention having fun with all those lovely grandchildren I see you have. I have used my vagabond on several more occasions and I can see now how much more taxing the manual machine was for me. So - still no regrets and no guilt now either! Haha. Hope you get all fixed up soon - I do always recommend people be careful even after they have been fixed. They do many miracles now but even though you can feel a lot better you may not be exactly the same as you were when you were younger - you have to kind of experiment with “the new you”. Happy holidays and happy crafting! All the best
Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Merry Christmas to you, and everyone who got a new V2! I've had mine for a while, and absolutely love it. I also have a Gemini and TWO Big Shots. The Big Shots are in the closet, the Gemini is still in the box (although I have taken it out and looked at it.) So don't feel guilty! The only reason I'm holding on to both Big Shots is that I may offer card making classes.

The Spellbinders mats are what I use when I use PTI's impression plates; you can also use dies with the embossing mats to make an impression instead of cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to stjoephleb07

I have a Vagabond 2 under the Christmas tree all wrapped up. Husband wanted to know what to get me for Christmas, so I went shopping on amazon, let him know that my list was complete, just waiting for him to go and pay for it..........can't wait till Xmas morning!!!!!
I did get to open one of my presents so I could finish our 12 grandchildrens pillow cases for Xmas. I needed a new sewing machine and wanted a particular model which I was surprised when he found one at a dealer, new in box.........boy is sewing fun again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Merry Christmas to you too Linda - and Eureka, California! Lucky us - ooo and a new sewing machine too! I can’t sew - except when I sew up knitted things, and I did hand sew two quilted cushion covers once - but I can definitely see the attraction, and looking at all the wonderful material they have now is thrilling. It makes me think I could use my V2 to cut shapes for quilting which would be a lot easier and quicker than cutting by hand. Linda I’ll have to try my squishy spellbinders mat with dies sometime - I have never really thought about the embossing feature of dies before. I also have some metal stampendous stencils I could try. I’ve never really cared much about Christmas presents since I was a kid - this is really fun, especially sharing with all you lovely scs folks who “understand”. So nice to hear from everyone about their V2’s!
Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes