Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutter

Hi All~

I weird question, I had a lady approach me at a catering event and ask me if I wanted to buy "laser cut cupcake wrappers"
It didn't look like they were made from the Cricut. I asked her being a scrapbooker it interested me. She refused to tell me anything about this so called magical machine.
I tried researching it on Etsy and ebay to see if maybe someone selling these wrappers listed this machine.
Do any of you by chance have any idea what I am talking about? I can't get an answer out of anyone.
The wrappers are very detailed and elegant looking.
But I have not found it on any Cricut cartridge.
Thanks in advance if you can help

Tee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have seen many companies that offer "laser cut" paper or words. They seem very intricate, would take my cricut an hour and the blade better not be dull kwim?
anyway check this place out. Laser Excel - A Cut Above - Laser Cutting - Home
not sure about how much a machine would cost but I imagine its something for professionals sort of like a real deal Letterpress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks I think this is just one of those companies that is using a high grade machine. But people on the bay and esty look like its not so crazy intricate. But who knows, the search continues. I'll let you know if I find anything. I know I'm not testing my Cricut to see what it can do. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Laser cutting machines aren't practical for home use. In my past life as an industrial engineer, I dealt with machinery like this. It uses a laser like a torch to cut the designs which is driven by computer, so you can get very detailed and intricate cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks cat Woman that is what I thought, then I came across some weird website about laser cutting and this lady sells downloads to go with your cutting machine, I have no idea what she is talking about because I am not computer savoy. Kinda Frustrating to be honest. I emailed her to ask if it works with the cricut I wonderful if I'll get a reply.
Thanks for the information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have seen them for sale in cooking and baking catalogs. They are pretty, and not too expensive.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
I have seen them for sale in cooking and baking catalogs. They are pretty, and not too expensive.

Anne
Do you mean a laser cutting machine or the new Cricut machine for cake decorating? There is a huge difference in the machines...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Me? I meant the cupcake wrappers themselves!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
Me? I meant the cupcake wrappers themselves!

Anne
Ohhh! I was going to harass you for the article so I could find a machine cheap. A laser cutting machine would be the ultimate die cutting machine to have if they weren't 1) kind of dangerous, 2) suck up electricity like no tomorrow, and 3) super expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

You ladies are funny, no this lady here at this site I will list is selling these cupcake wrappers, but is also selling some kind of software, I can't get an aswer to any questions form them but it appears you down load and use with your machine. Question is what machine, LOL My cricut. Not the cake cutting one either, that's just weird, and I'm a pastry chef.
Check out this site. Maybe you can explain it to me.
Visual Design Services :: Digital Cutter Files/Patterns :: Cupcake Wrappers & More
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

It looks as though her designs are in files SVG, GSD, KNK, WPC, SCUT & AI

So if you have a machine that can these files, you're good to go!

I'm not affiliated with this company just curious as to whether I could cut them, alas I cannot as I have a Cricut but not the additional software, i.e SCAL or MTC.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a friend here in the UK who has a laser cutter that she uses to produce chipboard shapes (you can engrave as well as cut right through so some of her designs do that). It's a buisness investment, not really something for the domestic market.

I agree with Barbara that the files on that site are designed for use with a machine with a blade, anything that will cut one of the file types listed (I guess SVG and GSD are the most commonly supported), I didn't see laser cutting mentioned there.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

See I have a cricut to, and it says Cricut, but I have no idea what these files are so I have no idea if I can support them on the Cricut or not or if you need a design studio.
I'm betting he lady that tried to sell these to me used this software.
I tried emailing the lady, but go no answer, so I can't buy a product I don't understand....sigh!
You are all so helpful and wonderful thanks so much. If I get an answer as to what files support what machines I'm good to go. I wonder if you have to have design studio in order to use this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I see that the files are for "digital cutting machines". So if you have a cricut with SCAL, MTC, or Design Studio, you probably would be able to cut these designs. You would also be able to use the files in any of the other cutting machines, like a Wishblade/CraftRobo/Silhouette, Gazelle, Klic N Kut, etc. I find it strange that this person would say the product was laser cut when they weren't. Well, now you know what she is talking about. I, personally, would be somewhat leary about buying from her if she was misrepresenting her products.

Last edited by cat_woman; 11-04-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay I like this idea. Hmmmm I'll have to figure it out!!! Cat women to the rescue!!!! I do like the Klic N Kut machine, but so super expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Chris is a member of one of the yahoo scal groups and has been very helpful there. Don't think she does files for cricuts design studio or the gypsy though. I've used her svg & scut files with my cricut expression and scal and they cut beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks I so need to talk to her to understand what this all is I have no idea what these files are :( Hopefully she can explain I'll email her again.

I hear they cut nice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I found this on her site it should explain what machines you can and can't use the files in. Hope that helps .
Kerry

Digital Cutter Files
Our store holds files for use on many of the personal cutters. Some of those files types are .ai, .wpc, .knk, .gsd, .scut, .svg. The current machines are Klik-n-Kut aka Klic-N-Kut, Wishblade, Cricut, Gazelle, Pazzles, & Craft Robo. We are not affiliated with any of the companies that make these machines. We are independent designers that creates files for use with these machines.

Our most popular digital cutter file purchase is Chris's QMC, For more info, visit here.

Digital Cutter File Designers:

If you are looking for a home for your digital cutter files to sell, please email Chris Durnan directly. We are currently taking applications for this position. There are some requirements and requests to fill this position. We can discuss the position and what it entails.

Files Types:
There is a section in the forum explaining file types and their use. Below is a brief overview of how files can be worked with. If you have any questions, please post them in the forum. There are many here to help out.

To see more details about each individual designers files, please visit the page HERE. Below is information in regards to Chris's Files only.

A note from Chris Durnan.. I create most of my files in Illustrator. It is a program I have used for so long that she easily gravitated towards it. With a working knowledge of all the other programs used as well. Here are some of the basics on the file types created and what they can do. If you are interested in tutorials regarding some of these files and their programs, please visit the forum.

AI -

This is an illustrator file. KNK Studio can open this file type. Inkscape can open Illustrator files that are saved with PDF compatibility. Also, because Chris Durnan saves her files with the pdf capability the newest version of Adobe Acrobat will open the AI files if you would like to use them for a paper piecing and do not own a digital cutter yet.

GSD -

This is a file type that works with the Robo Master program. Chris Durnan created her files in Robomaster 2.4. This means if you have a more updated version of Robomaster you will be able to open those files.

WPC -

This file type works with the WinPC/SignLab programs. Chris Durnan imports the AI files into WinPC and then regroup them so they are as easy to use as possible for the end user. And then exports them in WPC 14 in order to make them accessible to the most users with Funtime or Scrap Savvy Funtime etc.

KNK -

This file type works with KNK Studio and GE. I have opened the files from Illustrator and changed the line to thinline because they import with thickline attributes. I then go through and regroup the items in order to give the person using the file an easier experience of cutting.

SCUT -

These files work with the Sure Cuts A Lot Software. I export an AI file to SVG. Then I import them into the Sure Cuts A Lot program. It is recommend that you download the AI file and the SCUT file in case you would like to work with the file further. The SCAL software does not allow for alot of working with the file within the program.

SVG -

SVG files work with the new e-craft, the Make The Cut for Cricut, Inkscape for Black Cat Cougar, and the list goes on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WILL HAVE A FRIEND THAT IS A LITTLE MORE COMPUTER SAVOY TAKE A LOOK AND SEE WHAT FILE BE BEST. HER PRICE ARE REASONABLE
AS WELL SO THAT IS GOOD

THANK YOU AGAIN KERRY FOR THE INFORMATION.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Tweedle Tea
You are very welcome!!!
Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes