Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joy Cricut?

I have not used a Cricut so I don’t know the product at all so I wonder if this new machine can cut Stampin’ Up! card stock? I sure like its size.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a smaller version of the Cricut electronic die cutter. I had not heard of it until I watched this video from Michelle Short. Cute machine and looks fairly easy to learn. If I used my regular sized Silhouette machine more I might be tempted.

If the link to the video doesn't work you can copy and paste "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUIXnuHzCE" (without quotes) in your browser.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hSUIXnuHzCE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" style="font-size: 10pt;"></iframe>

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2020, 02:23 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched this one by Angie Holden comparing the Joy with Cricut Explore. She seemed pretty happy with its ability to cut cardstock (about 13 minutes in)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2020, 03:29 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 604 Likes on 247 Posts

It comes on at midnight eastern time Tuesday, March 3, as the special value on HSN craft day. They have the machine and a million add-ons on their website now. If you watch the broadcast or specific product videos you may get some tips and good demos.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO I think it is a waste of money if you already have another cricut.(i have a cricut maker) You have to use their consumables to be able to get the benefits of it. It uses different size mats and blades and pens than any other cricut. I have spent so much money buying all the tools for the maker that it seems like such a waste of money and space. It won’t cut anything heavier than cardstock.the only thing it can do Different is cut from a roll. But does not do everything a full cricut can do. With accessories I have spent over 1000 on my maker. Don’t want to get started on something that you have to use their “smart” materials to use the features they are promoting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks good for someone who hasn't already got an electronic cutter. That isn't me, I'm just looking into it for curiosity. Here in Australia at least, the Joy costs more than the Silhouette portrait (which can take an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet). But that takes up more room to store and use, and at the moment Silhouette needs a computer, while the Joy can be operated from a mobile app.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the cricut maker can use up to 12x24 and cut chipboard wood fabric etc etc. i also have a vagabond 2 ( my favorite) and a Sizzix pro I would of considered joy as a second electronic cutter but it is expensive , But also very portable , however I don’t like having to buy all of their materials and all new blades and accessories from the same company that said so many new things were coming for maker. Promised it wouldn’t be obsolete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairylanderView Post
I have not used a Cricut so I don’t know the product at all so I wonder if this new machine can cut Stampin’ Up! card stock? I sure like its size.
I personally have moved from the scan and cut (SNC) to the joy.

Purely because of its size and usability.

For me I like to paper craft and love the idea of cutting vinyls for labelling which i could never get to work in my SNC. And TBH just struggled with the SNC having to get it via usb, adjusting pressures all the time etc. It was just a pain.

So far I am enjoying the joy, I like that i can draw with it (never got that part with the SNC) the mats are vastly cheaper than the SNC ones. Yes the smart vinyl is expensive but buy when on sale and it isn't as bad for the convenience.

And just in general I am and will be getting more use from it! I had no where I could leave my SNC out & set up as it needed so much room. But even while having to work from home in this pandemic my joy still has space on my desk!

Yes it does suck not being able to cut to the 12 inches width anymore but TBH I didn't do that often, if im doing something that big its something for my niece, nephew or daughter. And hand cutting isn't that hard for those things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 02:04 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I just “downgraded” my Cricut Explore to a Cricut Joy. I couldn’t be happier. I mainly use my Cricut for paper piecings. It was such a hassle to cut items that were under six inches.
The Joy was a perfect size for me and definitely not a waste of money.

Something is only a waste of money when it does not work for you.

I love using the Joy with my iPad for quick cuts. It is like having lots of punches and dies in one machine. I love the card feature.

I can power use my Cricut now in way that I felt like I couldn’t before.

I do own a Silhouette Cameo 4. I own that machine to cut my printables and to make stickers. Personally for me the Cricut was to limiting for my experience level so I needed a more powerful software program and more features in my machine. Cameo fit those needs. That is not to say the Explore/Maker line is not good for those things. It was not a good fit for me.

I also have a ScannCut. I only use it to scan and cut. If I can figure out Silhouettes PixScan I will retire my SnC because It would be a redundant machine in my arsenal. I love the SnC and highly recommend it.

The Joy is my new love. I am so happy I bought it. I wasn’t influenced by anything. When I saw the release I knew this was the exact Cricut I needed and wanted.

I did give big hints to Cricut for a mini machine, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes