Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Trying to choose a die cutting machine

Hi,

I'm trying to choose which die cutting machine to buy. I was looking at the Slice, and at the Cricut. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I actually have both and use both very little :( I think it depends if you are more of a scrapper or a card maker. If you plan to use it more for card making I would go with the slice. My goal is to start using my slice more as I mainly make cards. Good luck with your decision
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

It depends on what you are looking for. A Slice or Cricut isn't actually a die cutting machine. You can't use Spellbinders Dies or Sizziz dies with it, Embossing folders etc. It depends on what you want to do with it really. The Sizzix Big Shot comes highly recommended. I have a Cuttlebug and it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

If you are looking for an electronic cutter, I would recommend Silhouette Cameo. It can cut any SVG file and isn't restricted to cartridges the way Cricut is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies. I guess I called it the wrong thing...yes, I'm looking for an electronic cutter. I already own a die machine so I'm covered in that department.
I've found someone local selling an unopened Slice so I'm going to go buy that. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have a Klic N Kut. Their new Zing looks interesting.

Very versatile as they can use pens, embossing tools, do print and cut (print a picture with your printer then cut it out) and you can make your own cutting files from pdfs, scans, or from scratch or buy files from places like My Scrap Chic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I love love love my Cricut! Super easy to use and if you get the Expression will cut up to 11.5" and you can even get a 12 X 24 mat for even bigger cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cricut if you want to plug in a cartridge, press a few "keys" and cut. The downside is that you are limited to the designs that you buy on a cartridge.

Silhouette Cameo (which I wish I had) if you are computer literate, don't mind the learning curve and don't want to buy cartridges. You can download a lot of designs, but some designs available on Cricut (like Disney) aren't available to download for the Silhouette.

I don't know anything about the Slice. It looks fairly limited, but I read someplace that the cartridges were dirt cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Should add the KNK & Zing do 12" by whatever length you want. Useful for cutting stickers for cars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I am new to this site, but not new at all to stamping.
I have a Pazzles Machine that I purchased used.
I love that I can cut any shape I want, but in all reality, I like my Cuttlebug better.
I have cutting issues with my Pazzles at times. I haven't learned it well enough yet though, so I am not giving it up.
I didn't want the Cricuit as I did not like the cartridge designs and did not want to be limited to them.
I am a an artist and hoped to learn the software enough to make my own stuff. That has not happened yet, but there are tons of free stuff on the net to use.
Also I just purchased Make The Cut software for it, as it allows me to use a ton of more file extensions with it. It opens the door further for more free files to use. I figure I will have this for life and eventually I will "GET IT" lol.
There is a learning curve though.
My cuttlebug is simple and nice, but the die sets add up. It is one or the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Terry, you will definitely get it eventually if you keep working on it. But yes, its a fairly steep learning curve.

I haven't got MTC software but if it has an option to trace a file, that is a good place to start.

I often get a clipart and render the shape to a cutting file. I still have to step through the instructions in my manual most times to get the best result (I've had my machine for a few years now too!).

I think, after adding up the value of my dies, I've probably spent more on the Cuttlebug than on the electronic cutter.

I use the Cuttlebug a lot more for cards but the KNK gets a workout on scrapbook pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks KoffeeKat. I am working on it slowly. lol. It isn't on my top priority list probably, or I would be further. I just love to stamp and color and I find myself in that mode most of the time. lol.
parenting fasd kids dot com- plus my family and two youngest with special needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

LOVE my Cricuts (I have 3 Expressions and 1 Original). They all get used for cards and scrapbook layouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

If anyone is interested in the Zing from KNK (Klic N Kut) - I have one brand new for sale - $360 including continental shipping.
***SOLD*** by CakeJunkie at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Cricut if you want the simplicity of ONLY using cartridges. Even their software requires you to use images from cartridges you've already bought.

Sizzix eclips if you like cartridges and doing your own thing. But not if you want to do lots of print and cut.

Silhouette Cameo if you want to download cut images one at a time and do your own thing. Also has the best print & cut - it uses an eye to detect printed registration marks; all other cutters require manual calibration.

The machine you choose also depends on what you plan to cut. If you do lots of chipboard or other heavy/thick materials then the KNK Zing and several other heavy duty machines would be good. But since you're considering the Slice, it doesn't sound like you're cutting thick stuff.

I own a Cricut Expression and recently got a Cameo. For what it is, the Cricut works. My wife likes the simplicity of picking something from a cartridge, setting the size, and cutting.

I prefer designing my own cut files, finding things on the web, and doing print & cut. The Cricut cannot do those things. The Cameo can. However, the Cameo is a new machine and some people are having problems with its new blade design. The manufacturer has been very good about sending people replacement blades and is working on a fix.

The Sizzix eclips is well-liked. They have cartridges with many of their dies on them, so you get access to all that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default Sizzix eClips is great

I've been trying out the Sizzix eClips and just love it. It cuts very fine detail and is very accurate (unlike my Cricut), allows me to cut my own shapes with the software AND I've ordered the first of the new Tim Holtz cartridges for it. Check out Tim's Stamp2Cut video on his blog (CHA 2012 Preview). it's amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out with the Cricut...had 36 cartridges but since I did not have space to leave it out all the time I sold it. I got a Slice first generation and loved it. It is small enough to have a space on my stamping table all the time. They have a great variety of cartridges too. I upgraded to the Slice Elite a year or so ago and give my friend who could not afford a Slice my original unit. She uses it all the time and loves it too. I just made a gift to a new stamping friend of one of the new Slice Elites that was on sale at Michaels. I love this little unit and it is the perfect choice for me. I also have a Cuttlebug, Big Shot and Grand Caliber. Plenty of choices here.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree...the Silouette Cameo is the cats meow. But my second choice would be the Cricut Machine and there are lots of new cartridges coming out soon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Slice, the price was good and I love all the design cards. Haven't had any problems with it. I have the Wizard machine (Spellbinders). And finally for Valentines Day my "Eclips" finally came in the mail. Hubby said go ahead and order it. I'm just getting familiar with it right now. It also uses the software E Scale (I think Sizzix and that company when it together) You can use it with your computer and cut things from the internet or anything you have on your computer and when people post the SVG files and others,you can use this all for downloading and etc. I had the Cricut long ago and wasn't happy with it. Their cartridges are so expensive and have to wait on sales or ebay or something. The cartridges for the Eclips are small and fit at the top of the little case along with their booklet. I'm not sure anymore if the Cricut can use the software like the Sure Cuts A Lot. The Eclips does. And it also depends on what you are going to do with it,and how much you are going to use it.
arubberstamper
Reply With Quote Likes