Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flocking~is there an easier way?

Hello

I flocked for the first time yesterday and my flocking powder came in a plastic container with shakers holes on the top. It seems like a lot of work to shake it out on the project and that is gets all over the place too. Should I just take the lid off and dump it? They turned out alright, but it took awhile to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Oh, yes, definitely take the lid off. You'll be there forever if you don't. I do the same thing with the shaker tops that come on the glitter jars. You have to take the lid off to pour the excess back in the jar anyway. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you, I do with the glitter too. Actually I had tried to take it off and it wasn't coming off easily so I thought maybe it shouldn't come off but then I didn't want to waste the leftovers so I forced it off. Next time, it's coming off then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not make it even easier on yourself and transfer the flock to a different jar (baby food?) Or do like some people do with their embossing powder and store it in a flat, sandwich size rubber container. I guess they hold the card over the open container and spoon the powder over the card. Shake off the excess, and close the container. You're done.

Of course, I've never worked with flock, so who am I to say this will work? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

No, you are absolutely right, why not get out some of the containers I've saved that would be perfect for this......DUH!! See why I decided to just ask the question.

I wasn't sure how I felt about flocking, might not be my fav technique but I've got it just in case I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is what I do for flocking
1. dump flocking all over the image
2. press flocking down firmly over the image with something without static/non sticky
3. lift card/project and tap off excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I second the opinion to put it into a separate container vs the one it comes in. I tried flocking last week, over a coffee filter, and it was really difficult to get it back into the little jar as it was compacted in when I first used it.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

okay girls my ?? is do you just use the flocking powder like you would embossign powder or do you do it like dazzling diamonds??? I bought some at hobby lobby after christmas for next to nothing so I could try it out and I have yet to do so. I am willing to try anything new at least once LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Flocking needs to be used with a good adhesive. More like glitter, and not like embossing powders. You should pour it on the adhesive, press it down to make sure it has adhered well, the dump off the excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerveilleuseView Post
Flocking needs to be used with a good adhesive. More like glitter, and not like embossing powders. You should pour it on the adhesive, press it down to make sure it has adhered well, the dump off the excess.
thankyou so much for hte advice I sure do appreciate it I would have tried to do it with a two way glue and oh my what a mess I would more thatn likely have on my hands tahnks again have a great nite and big hugs to you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerveilleuseView Post
After you press the flocking into the adhesive, let it dry before shaking off the excess. Takes longer but you will not get any blank spots.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I used a Quickie glue pen made by Sakura to adhere the flock on all my Christmas cards this year. I have tweezers with large (~1/4" square) ends on them that I used to pick up the flock from the container, then pressed down into the glue. Tapped off the excess back into the jar, and on to the next card. The tweezers with large ends works wonderfully for this. I can't remember where I got them, but the beading section may have something similar.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another method is to press the adhesived image into the flock ilo dumping it over. I saw it at a stamping show locally and it makes for alot less mess.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

would it work to use ziploc/rubbermaid/glad plastic containers (the kind you store leftovers in) like I've seen some people do for embossing powder?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had some flock for years...and never use it because it has been such a mess. Now i think that i will go and try it again. Do you know if you can color it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I used a Quickie glue pen made by Sakura to adhere the flock on all my Christmas cards this year. I have tweezers with large (~1/4" square) ends on them that I used to pick up the flock from the container, then pressed down into the glue. Tapped off the excess back into the jar, and on to the next card. The tweezers with large ends works wonderfully for this. I can't remember where I got them, but the beading section may have something similar.

K
That sounds like a great idea, I'll have to look for those tweezers. Wonder how well they'd work with Flower soft too since I'm planning to get some of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegirlView Post
okay girls my ?? is do you just use the flocking powder like you would embossign powder or do you do it like dazzling diamonds??? I bought some at hobby lobby after christmas for next to nothing so I could try it out and I have yet to do so. I am willing to try anything new at least once LOL
I use flock like I use glitter. For example, I am using red flock on hearts on my Valentine's cards. It adds a lovely texture with nice depth. Have fun with the stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I love flocking, I like the velveteen type texture it gives and image. Here's what I've learned over the years.

1. I agree, get rid of the sprinkle top, use an open mouth jar so you can pour out the flocking and pour it back in.

2. A good glue like the 2 way glue pens or even a glue pad will help you adhere the flocking. You can also run the cut out image through a Xyron type machine and get adhesive on the image side of the piece. The flocking will stick well.

3. Let the glue dry before shaking off the excess flocking, this takes a bit of time but you get better coverage this way.

4. COLOR THE IMAGE. Seriously, if doing red hearts stamp the image in red ink if it's a solid stamp or color in the image with a red pencil or marker. Then add the glue and the red flocking. You'll find that the red you colored in will hide any gaps in the glue where the flocking didn't stick or wasn't as thick as other places. It really does make a difference on large images.

Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got some of the flocking stuff too! Thanks for the great tips! I'm off to play now! I do have one idea for storing the flocking, or other embellies for that matter! You know the Sara Lee sandwich meat containers?! I was getting ready to toss one not too long ago and realized...hey if I turn this lid the other way so there's a "hook" on each end it will hang from my wire shelving! I have a bunch now which I use to store letters and "stuff" in! They're airtight so they should hold the flocking quite well and have plenty of room to pour back in! I'm going to try it and will let you know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I use a lot of flock, and have a kind of special way to get it in place...

Being a china painter for years I have a good selection of brushes, and I use a stippler to get the flock on to the adhesive, just put it in the jar and the bristles take up some flock, tap it to the adhesive and take up more flock with the brush. After covering the whole thing I put a wax paper over it and rub it gently (the BG Rub-on tool's flat side works great, otherwise fingertips are a good tool!), off with the wax paper and softly go over it with a shader to wipe excess flock off. I work in a Crafty Tray that is easy to pour out excess flock/glitter from (embossing powders, too). Not that there is much excess flock with this technique - it's down to a minimum - but I like to have it last long...

Always use brushes with natural bristles - red sable or siberian squirrel are the best - as synthetic ones will build up static and that is something you don't want when working with flock or glitter! Having good brushes means you don't have to have so many, so find yourself a china painting shop where they carry good brushes! They will last a lifetime if you treat them well.

A stippler has short hairs, cut off to make a plain surface, while a shader is kind of "fluffy".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs crafty chikView Post
I just got some of the flocking stuff too! Thanks for the great tips! I'm off to play now! I do have one idea for storing the flocking, or other embellies for that matter! You know the Sara Lee sandwich meat containers?! I was getting ready to toss one not too long ago and realized...hey if I turn this lid the other way so there's a "hook" on each end it will hang from my wire shelving! I have a bunch now which I use to store letters and "stuff" in! They're airtight so they should hold the flocking quite well and have plenty of room to pour back in! I'm going to try it and will let you know how it goes!
That's an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing that. I need a system for some of my clear stamps and this might work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElisabethHView Post
I use a lot of flock, and have a kind of special way to get it in place...

Being a china painter for years I have a good selection of brushes, and I use a stippler to get the flock on to the adhesive, just put it in the jar and the bristles take up some flock, tap it to the adhesive and take up more flock with the brush. After covering the whole thing I put a wax paper over it and rub it gently (the BG Rub-on tool's flat side works great, otherwise fingertips are a good tool!), off with the wax paper and softly go over it with a shader to wipe excess flock off. I work in a Crafty Tray that is easy to pour out excess flock/glitter from (embossing powders, too). Not that there is much excess flock with this technique - it's down to a minimum - but I like to have it last long...

Always use brushes with natural bristles - red sable or siberian squirrel are the best - as synthetic ones will build up static and that is something you don't want when working with flock or glitter! Having good brushes means you don't have to have so many, so find yourself a china painting shop where they carry good brushes! They will last a lifetime if you treat them well.

A stippler has short hairs, cut off to make a plain surface, while a shader is kind of "fluffy".
That's a good idea too, anyway you get it on there even and then pressing down with wax paper would even work.

TFS.
Reply With Quote Likes