Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #121  
Die Cut Diva

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Thanks for the link. I watched the video just now. I notice the gal doing the demo and review made quite a few remarks about the score lines being "off" and said she recommended measuring twice, not once like the directions say.

And, indeed, a couple of the envies she made were not terribly accurate. However, I also noticed that she had what I would call a "slap-dash" approach to what she was doing. She was working very fast when rotating the paper and scoring.

I also noticed that she did not seem to get the paper aligned to exactly the right measurement to start with. When you are dealing with 1/8th of an inch, if that measurement starts off wrong, it will be multiplied by the time you complete the other 3 score lines. And, yes, your envelope will not be even.

So, maybe some of the complaints she had could be due to user error?

People doing videos frequently seem to me to be trying to show how fast they can do something, not how carefully and correctly they can do it.

Just my opinion after watching. I haven't used this product.
She does a lot of reviews on her blog: Craft Test Dummies - The Craft Blog for Crafters, By Crafters
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #122  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video was very helpful. Thanks for the link. I do think it's strange that the board was not made large enough to accommodate the largest size envelope they listed measurements for.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #123  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The ship date "may" have been pushed again, because in the email I got she said shipping between March and ( now) May :(
Barbara I read the whole thread but your story is an absolute nightmare. Sending you hugs. There is no way I would wait until May for the envelope board. Did you do the store credit? Thank you for letting us know the store too. I always like to hear the policy of the vendor from other customers so I can make good decisions where I shop.

Quote:

People doing videos frequently seem to me to be trying to show how fast they can do something, not how carefully and correctly they can do it.
Hijacking thread for a quick sec. I am going to start a YouTube channel soon. I have been worried about doing tutorials because I don't want to go fast for time sake. I am one of those girls who do things carefully and correctly. If I am doing a tutorial on how I make my own version of distress ink I don't want to rush through it and everyone is confused. I know if I am careful my videos are going to be fifteen minutes long for harder techniques. You made me feel better about making longer videos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Barbara I read the whole thread but your story is an absolute nightmare. Sending you hugs. There is no way I would wait until May for the envelope board. Did you do the store credit? Thank you for letting us know the store too. I always like to hear the policy of the vendor from other customers so I can make good decisions where I shop.

Hijacking thread for a quick sec. I am going to start a YouTube channel soon. I have been worried about doing tutorials because I don't want to go fast for time sake. I am one of those girls who do things carefully and correctly. If I am doing a tutorial on how I make my own version of distress ink I don't want to rush through it and everyone is confused. I know if I am careful my videos are going to be fifteen minutes long for harder techniques. You made me feel better about making longer videos.
Continuing Hijack - I look forward to seeing your videos! I've always enjoyed your posts and the information you've shared. And I absolutely agree about taking your time to show how to do something correctly - otherwise, what's the point?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #125  
Hardware Hotshot

It looks like now it will not ship until May
Cutters Creek says May 10th

Envelope Punch Board [71277] - $19.99 : Cutters Creek
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #126  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,930 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Maybe the push back date is so they can fix the measurement goof that she pointed out? I still want one, but am glad, once again, that I don't order online. I will try to wait patiently! Thank you all who are sharing info and links!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #127  
Proud Fan Club Member

oh my oh my oh my....I may not be waiting as long as I thought! A friend just sent me a pm and she ordered me one for my birthday!!!! WOOOO HOOOO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #128  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I just looked at the punch on the Scrapbook.com site and it says: "Brand New - Just Arrived." So it looks like they actually have it in stock right now.

Very strange that all the other places are waiting on pre-order shipments until April.:confused:
For the heck of it I placed an order w/ scrapbook.com yesterday, my WRMK Envie puncher was mailed yesterday. So they are in stock and shipping. Looks like the big box stores received the first round of stock. When I ordered there were 167 left in stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #129  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered this product also. I'm really curious to see how well the punch will hold up. I don't always have the best luck with punches:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #130  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

What impressed me on the Craft Test Dummies video was that Jenny had managed to accumulate quite a few askew envelopes done OFF camera when she would have the time and patience to work slowly and precisely. I will wait to hear the verdict that crafters give this new tool before I buy. The price is right, but I don't need something new taking up space if I don't use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #131  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think I want a bigger board. Size is one of the reasons I loved it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #132  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I'm in waiting for my New Envelope Punch tool. I purchased one today.

For $19.00 plus shipping and tax.

I can't wait to get it!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't think I want a bigger board. Size is one of the reasons I loved it.
I like the small size, too. Almost all of my cards are A2 size, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, and invitation size envelopes will be no problem for this size board.

I have the Martha Stewart Score board with the envelope template that I can use on the rare occasion that I want to make larger envelopes. I like the MS board, but it takes up my whole table when I get it out to use it, and I have to rearrange everything just to make envelopes.

I hope I will get more convenient use from the We R Memory keepers punch board, and also like that it notches the insides and cuts the corners, too. Those are extra steps that I have to do with my Martha board.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, let's all make a pact. The first ones who actually get the envelope punches need to come here and let all the rest of us who are waiting know if we've wasted our money.:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #135  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Okay, let's all make a pact. The first ones who actually get the envelope punches need to come here and let all the rest of us who are waiting know if we've wasted our money.:mrgreen:
sounds like a good idea. I like the fact that it punches those notches too because I have trouble cutting them just right...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #136  
Proud Fan Club Member

You're getting the fever! LOL I haven't been so excited over a product in a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #137  
Compulsive Stamper

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow so I will be on the lookout for the mailman. It seems when I'm waiting for something he always shows up late!! DRAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #138  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Enveloboxes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PammyB1View Post
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow so I will be on the lookout for the mailman. It seems when I'm waiting for something he always shows up late!! DRAT!
When you play with it, can you let us know if it looks like it can make enveloboxes? The kind that are about 1/4" thick to hold cards with embellishments? I have an Enveloper from Crafters Companion which does that by having 1/4" lip and then you score an extra set of lines. But you have to hand cut the notches, and they would need to be deeper than I think this punch will allow. If I have to hand cut, it sort of defeats the purpose for me. (I'm trying really hard not to buy this!) So all you enablers out there -tell me how it can be done with then new tool. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
That's a good point. I sometimes make a card about 6.25 x 4.5. I wonder how it is for that size. I rarely make anything bigger. Now y'all are trying to make me want one more. Shame on you.
Gale, in the interest of total kindness enabling, ha! I looked at several videos and saw them make envies that were for 4 x 6 cards. For that size, you can score all the way down on the board without going over the edge. And, there looked to be about 1/2 inch leeway for that size. So, maybe the size you need would work, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #140  
Compulsive Stamper

I ordered from scrapbook.com and it has shipped. Another Okie already got hers from there and is loving it. A Cherry on Top is advertising that they have them in also.

Scrapbook.com did have a note on forum that they only received a small quantity. When they are gone, they won't have them again until April.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #141  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
So where is the best deal on an in-stock one?
I think the price seems to be the same whereever you look. The only difference would be in shipping charges. At least that is what I've heard...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Happy Dance! And a Review

Okay, I have some of the best friends ever!

This is the Happy Dance part. I was chatting with a friend (who is not even a cardmaker, lol) and complaining about being frustrated with my pre-order of the Envelope Punch, which will probably not ship now until May. I said they had it in stock at Scrapbook.com, but I had already pre-ordered so I was just stuck.

That sweet person went online, ordered me the Punch, and it arrived as a surprise in the mail today! I'm sure when my preorder arrives, I will be able to sell it to someone.

I got busy and tried it out. The first thing I noticed is that none of the measurements listed for card sizes have 1/4" in them.

The card sizes are only shown as whole numbers or 1/2" numbers. So therefore, there is not a correct measurement for the size card I make the most, the A2, which is 4-1/4" x 5-1/2". Their chart shows the A2 card size as being 4-1/2" x 5-1/2". Don't know where they got that from. Every measurement I've found for an A2 card is 4-1/4", not 4-1/2".

But I made the envelope using their dimensions to see how it would turn out. Predictably, the envelope was a little oversize from top to bottom, since it was supposed to be for a measurement of 4-1/2" and not 4-1/4". The score line suggested for their A2 was 3-3/4". I redid it, and used 3-1/2" for my score line and it turned out better.

For the record, I have used the Martha Stewart Score Board quite a lot to make envelopes, and have had the same problem with the envelopes turning out too roomy for my taste. I experimented with those, and found better score measurements and made a note of them for the future.

So, I think many of the envelope makers don't make the standard size that we get when we buy our envelopes ready made.

As far as the ease of use, it works great. And, I think I was right about the video review where the gal kept getting different sizes. All of the envelopes I made turned out the same size when I used the same starting measurement. You do need to be careful when making your first score line. If it is not accurate, and lined up correctly with the measurement on the top ruler, all your other score lines which proceed from that first line will get longer as you go around, and you will end up with a "wonky" envelope.

I only made 3 sizes of envies, the A2, which I use all the time, the A6 (4-1/2" x 6-1/2") which is what Gale was concerned about. I also did a 5 x 7.

I think the 5 x 7 is about as big as you can go and still keep your paper on the board. It hangs off a tad for this size, but your score line goes almost to the edge. It worked perfectly well to make the envelope.

I really like the fact that the corner punch is right there on the other side. Very handy not to have to get your corner rounder out.

All in all, I think it is a great little tool at a reasonable price. I know I will use it a lot. The small size is a real plus for me, because I keep all my craft stuff in another room and bring out what I'm using to a table in my living room. Even though the Martha Board makes nice envelopes, it is big and cumbersome.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #143  
Proud Fan Club Member

Bugga, thank you so much for the review! Lucky you, having a good friend like that! I have a good friend too, who ordered the board for me online, so I will wait patiently, but I appreciate your review and now look forward even more to having one of my own!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
When you play with it, can you let us know if it looks like it can make enveloboxes? The kind that are about 1/4" thick to hold cards with embellishments? I have an Enveloper from Crafters Companion which does that by having 1/4" lip and then you score an extra set of lines. But you have to hand cut the notches, and they would need to be deeper than I think this punch will allow. If I have to hand cut, it sort of defeats the purpose for me. (I'm trying really hard not to buy this!) So all you enablers out there -tell me how it can be done with then new tool. . .
I got the Punch today and posted a review above. After working with it, I don't think it would work for making the enveloboxes, which need 2 score lines, unless you really experimented and made up your own measurements for the score lines, which would probably be a whole lot of trouble. This board is really just made for making quick and easy regular envelopes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I got the Punch today and posted a review above. After working with it, I don't think it would work for making the enveloboxes, which need 2 score lines, unless you really experimented and made up your own measurements for the score lines, which would probably be a whole lot of trouble. This board is really just made for making quick and easy regular envelopes.
Lucky you and Thanks so much Bugga! I played with the trusty old Enveloper last night and figured out some things to make it a bit more user friendly for me, so I will resist the lure of Punch for a little while longer. But it is so pretty . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 483 Likes on 358 Posts

Thanks for the great and very detailed review. I'll keep in mind your solution for the A2 card. Looking forward to more reviews as people get theirs!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #147  
Compulsive Stamper

Got mine today and I think I'm gonna love this new toy. Didn't have much of a chance to play but I did do a couple of the A2 envies and then one of the 5x7 which turned out perfect. I did it the way the instructions said. I hope to try making some more over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #148  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for info Bugga! Mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday so it's nice to get your review before it gets here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #149  
Glitter Queen

Did anyone get this board yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #150  
Glitter Queen

Dah, sorry. For some reason I thought the most current posts were at the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #151  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

After working with it, I don't think it would work for making the enveloboxes, which need 2 score lines
It's not difficult to make the boxes. Just that you might not want to punch the notches because you will not have the tabs. Use the chart for the measurements only.

The general rule will be:
If you want a box with sides to fit say 4x6 and 1/2" height, you will need to follow the measurements as if fitting a 4x7 and 5x6 card on the SAME piece of paper. You will notice the paper size required is exactly the same for 4x7 and 5x6 anyway.
- score according to the chart as if making 4x7 envelope
- score again according to the chart as if making 5x6 envelope

Why 4x7 and 5x6? Add twice the height to one of the side, i.e. 6" plus twice of 1/2" for 7". Then add twice the height to the other side, i.e. 4" plus twice of 1/2" for 5".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #152  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I just don't understand why these companies that make envelope tools can't get the A2 size right. The MS board is off, the Enveloper board is off, and now the We R board is off. Why is it so difficult to get the measurements right? I don't think we should have to fiddle around with the measurements on all of these boards to get the most common size of envelope correct.

(All of the research I've done says that 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" is A2, so I don't think the problem is there.)

OK. Rant over. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #153  
Glitter Queen

Mine should be here todayish. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I shouldn't be as excited anymore. : (
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #154  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorac813View Post
Mine should be here todayish. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I shouldn't be as excited anymore. : (
Stay excited! I've learned a long time ago that each of us has different ideas of what is good and what isn't. There are people on here who love the ATG gun, me, not so much. But that's ok! I'm still excited. I love the whole concept of the punch/score and corner round all on one tool! If the envelopes are a little large, that's okay with me. That will help out when I send the ones with embellishments! Let us know if yours arrives! I'm excited for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #155  
Glitter Queen

I'm excited again!!!!! OMG, it was just delivered!!!! Be back shortly........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #156  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Stay excited! I've learned a long time ago that each of us has different ideas of what is good and what isn't. There are people on here who love the ATG gun, me, not so much. But that's ok! I'm still excited. I love the whole concept of the punch/score and corner round all on one tool! If the envelopes are a little large, that's okay with me. That will help out when I send the ones with embellishments! Let us know if yours arrives! I'm excited for you!
I agree. This gadget is really convenient for making envelopes because it is an all-in-one tool. After you get your paper cut into the right size squares, it is amazingly fast to make envelopes. The punch that cuts out the indentations, and the corner rounder work really well and save time and hassle over using a corner rounder and using scissors to cut the notches out.

For the regulation size A 2 envelopes to fit the cards that a lot of us make, it only requires changing the scoring measurement from 3-3/4" to 3-1/2". That is a personal preference on my part, to make the envelope a little smaller. And like muscrat says, many folks don't mind the envelope being a little roomy to allow for embellishments.

In my opinion, the overall convenience and ease of use easily makes up for any "tweeking" of the measurements.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #157  
Glitter Queen

I'm back! This board is AWESOME!!!
You have already read how great it is to have the punch for the notches and then as a corner rounder. That IS outstanding.

I have made the following envelopes so far: 3x3, 4x4, 3 1/2x 5 1/2, and 2- A2 card envelopes using a scoring measurement on one card at 3 3/4 and the other at 3 1/2. Actually, the larger A2 is better for me because I don't seem to know when to stop embellishing.

But I have learned from you experts that no matter what size envelope I'm making on the board I can just increase the scoring measurement by a 1/4" and my card will be a little bigger for those embellishments.

I find the measurements on the board to be spot on for what I have done so far. If the cards don't line up for you when you fold ithem, just change around the flaps until they line up. I followed the instructions just the way they are given.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if I should buy another one in the event something happens to this one, like what I don't know. Can you tell I'm HOOKED?

Last edited by Lorac813; 02-02-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #158  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

You have already read how great it is to have the punch for the notches and then as a corner rounder. That IS outstanding.

I have made the following envelopes so far: 3x3, 4x4, 3 1/2x 5 1/2, and 2- A2 card envelopes using a scoring measurement on one card at 3 3/4 and the other at 3 1/2. Actually, the larger A2 is better for me because I don't seem to know when to stop embellishing.

But I have learned from you experts that no matter what size envelope I'm making on the board I can just decrease the scoring measurement by a 1/4" and my card will be a little bigger for those embellishments.

I find the measurements on the board to be spot on for what I have done so far. If the cards don't line up for you when you fold ithem, just change around the flaps until they line up. I followed the instructions just the way they are given.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if I should buy another one in the event something happens to this one, like what I don't know. Can you tell I'm HOOKED?
Thanks for coming back and posting your experience! Not sure when I will get mine, but I sure am anxiously awaiting!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #159  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

But I have learned from you experts that no matter what size envelope I'm making on the board I can just decrease the scoring measurement by a 1/4" and my card will be a little bigger for those embellishments.

Lora - so glad you love the board. I do too! And I'll bet you meant to say "increase" above to make the envie bigger.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #160  
Glitter Queen

I sure did! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes