Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To crop-a-dile or not to crop-a-dile

I am thinking about getting a crop-a-dile. I currently don't have an eyelet setter because most of the kinds my sister has purchased are too hard to use and I don't have that kind of muscle strength. I was wondering, how hard is the crop-a-dile to use? Does it take a lot of strength? Does it work well? What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it? More importantly, would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend it! I have arthritis and I just can't use some of the eyelet setters because they hurt my hands. The crop-a-dile only requires a little squeeze to set the eyelet and it has been the easiest setter for me. Squeezing to hard will break the eyelet, so it really does use just a small amount of pressure. It does take some practice to get the right touch, but once you get the hang of it, I think you'll love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have one and hardly use it.... I love it, but it is bulky to take places and is awk. to use. I also find it harder to line up my holes with the crop-a-dile and had more precise placement with my hand eyelet setter (although if you you hate the noise of the hammer then def. go to with the crop-a-dile). If you do use eyelets and brads often I would definitely recommend it, but if it is just every once in a while I would maybe get Stampin' up's eyelet setter and a little craft hammer. Hope that helps, and hopefully I didn't just confuse you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I find that different brands of eyelets are easier than others to set using the COD. So if you decide to get it and have a hard time using with the amount of muscle strength you have, try a different brand of eyelet before giving it up completely.

Do you have a local LSS you can go to try it out at? Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have one and I never use it - - bought it and then decided eyelets are not my thing. Having said that, when I first bought it and used it all of 3 times, it was quite easy to use...not much strength needed; a good, solid product - and worth it if you'll use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Have it, use it, love it. IMHO no paper crafter toolbox is complete without it. However, it is not a tool for every occasion. It can only set an eyelet so far into your card, page, what have you, so you might find you need an eyelet setter as well. I'm not sure which one of those is best for someone with limited strength in their hands...perhaps someone that knows might be able to weigh in on the crop a dile big bite. I've never used one but the depth issue is solved with that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I think in your case, maybe you should consider the Big Bite because you don't have to hold it. It has little feet so it stands alone. You just press the handle. It also punches & sets eyelets pretty much anywhere on a 12 x 12 page. I have both crop-a-diles & I love them both for different reasons. I also love the fact that it punches through soooo many different materials like butter. I honestly can't image going back to the hammer! Michaels carries them both so you can use a coupon on the one you want. I hope this helps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #8  
Vintage Vixen

I have a Crop-a-Dile Big Bite and love it for setting eyelets, especially the extra large eyelets. I think the Big Bite is easier to use than the hand-held version, especially if you have arthritis or not much strength in your hands or arms. It sits on the table and has a handle/lever that you simply push down (rather than having to squeeze together a two-piece handle). If you stand up while pushing down on the lever, you get a lot of torque behind it without much effort.

You can also punch holes or set eyelets in the middle of a 12x12 piece of paper because of the Big Bite's reach. It's strong enough to punch holes through heavy cardstock, chipboard, leather, even tin without much effort.

Because of its size and shape, it is awkward to take to crops. So if you do that a lot you might still want the regular Crop-a-Dile or your hand-held eyelet setter and hammer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #9  
Vintage Vixen

I have a Crop-a-Dile Big Bite and love it for setting eyelets, especially the extra large eyelets. I think the Big Bite is easier to use than the hand-held version, especially if you have arthritis or not much strength in your hands or arms. It sits on the table and has a handle/lever that you simply push down (rather than having to squeeze together a two-piece handle). If you stand up while pushing down on the lever, you get a lot of torque behind it without much effort.

You can also punch holes or set eyelets in the middle of a 12x12 piece of paper because of the Big Bite's longer reach. It's strong enough to punch holes through heavy cardstock, chipboard, leather, even tin without much effort.

Because of its size and shape, it is awkward to take to crops. So if you do that a lot you might still want the regular Crop-a-Dile or your hand-held eyelet setter and hammer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up I too recommend it

It is very easy to use, requires little pressure and has soft grip handles. I was a little intimidated at first by it - it has different settings - but now use almost every time I craft. And it's great for punching holes in thicker items like chipboard or several layers of cardstock.

Definitely one of my favourite tools.

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I held off getting a C-a-D for ages as I already had eyelet setters. When I finally caved and bought one in a closing down sale, it was the first tool in forever that made me say "Wow!" when I used it. I'd been struggling to set the extra large eyelets without them distorting but the C-a-D does it perfectly and easily every time. Love the way it goes through thick chipboard, CDs etc, too!

I have the original version and don't find it restrictive on reach but I do only make cards, I'm not trying to set eyelets a long way into a 12x12 or anything. Others make a good point about it being self standing though - you might find the action easier with pressing down on the lever rather than squeezing handles together.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I love my CAD!!! I use it all the time. It's the best way to set eyelets. It's also great as a hole punch. I recently made graduation cap nuggets for my niece's party and I punched through five caps at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have BAD RA and it is the only thing I can use to set eyelets and snaps.

I admit to having difficulties sometimes being able to grab the handles( they are fairly well set apart) but that's what makes it easier to actually set the eyelets.

someday I want to go ahead and spring for the larger table top model....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Big Bite is the way to go. Longer reach is worth it. I recently used mine to punch a new hole in my belt! So easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Our Wal-Mart has the reg. COD on sale for $15 in the clearance section, if you are thinking of getting it! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - June 2013

I don't set eyes often, but I punch booklets with it because it will punch thru all the papers at once (as much as you can get in the space). My students at school make journals and it makes it so much easier because they acually punch once and all the holes line up, then they tie them together with ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're considering the Crop-a-dile Big Bite, Julia Stainton wrote a review of it for Craft Critique. She compares the two models and discusses the pros and cons. It's helpful info to read before purchase. http://www.craftcritique.com/2008/05...-big-bite
Reply With Quote Likes