Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Cricut Expression vs. Stamps

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cricut Expression but I'm concerned it won't get a lot of use. I need to know I'll use it a lot to justify the cost. I have a Cuttlebug and hardly used it because it was so time consuming to cut each letter/object individually. I liked the embossing, but since I don't make a lot of cards, I barely used that function. I also have quite a few stamp sets. I discovered acrylic stamps a few months ago and I love them! However, I can see the benefit of the CE because of the size and the fact that it cuts everything for you. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about their CE and stamps. Do you use your stamps more or less? Have you stopped buying them altogether? Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to purchase CE cartridges?

I really appreciate your input! Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I got mine for Christmas and just love it! Have used it so much! Great tool to have-I am sold-
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for your feedback Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bammam08View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a Cricut Expression but I'm concerned it won't get a lot of use. I need to know I'll use it a lot to justify the cost. I have a Cuttlebug and hardly used it because it was so time consuming to cut each letter/object individually. I liked the embossing, but since I don't make a lot of cards, I barely used that function. I also have quite a few stamp sets. I discovered acrylic stamps a few months ago and I love them! However, I can see the benefit of the CE because of the size and the fact that it cuts everything for you. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about their CE and stamps. Do you use your stamps more or less? Have you stopped buying them altogether? Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to purchase CE cartridges?

I really appreciate your input! Beth
I guess it depends on how you use your stamps, really. You mention that you do not make many cards; do you use your stamps for scrapbooking? Then you might use the Cricut a lot. I do make a lot of cards, and don't really use stamps for scrapbooking at all. I would probably not use the Cricut instead of stamps ever, because they are really not the same at all then. I usually use images. If you usually use letters, you may use it all of the time...
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I do use my stamps in scrapbooking. I think the letters would be very useful for scrapbooking because it can be a pain to cut them by hand (especially intricate letters). The Cricut images are not really the same as stamps then? It's hard to tell looking online what images are available with the cartridges. Thanks! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I love using the cricut. One of the benefits over the cuttlebug (which I love for background deisgns) is that they have ready made expressions- Happy Birthday, Thank You... One push of a button and you have your expression. I use mine for some card expressions and also titles of Scrapbook pages.
Do you know someone who owns one? I tried one once and was hooked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think stamps and the Cricut Expression are 2 entirely different tools. I have the Expression and I have tons of stamps. The Cricut is so cool to use for letters and shapes. The look is totally different than the look you get from using stamps. If you are stamping and then cutting out the letters, Cricut can cut letters in a fraction of the time.
I LOVE both stamps and Cricut but if you are a Scrapbooker....you will really enjoy the ease of the Cricut. Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the little bug, not the Expression and while I do not use it much for card making at all, I use it on almost every single scrapbook page!! I would not want to scrap without it ever again! I use both my stamps and my Cricut on just about every layout...both are awesome tools! :>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the CE and find that I don't use it at all for cards. I am currently working on a huge scrapbook (2 volumes) and I find the CE a great help. Flowers cut out of coordinating paper and cascaded down a page is a lovely effect and very easy with the CE. As others have said the letters are great. I have even cut some tiny ones out, as well as really big ones. Go for it. I don't have many carts, only 5. Two came with the CE, 2 I bought at a boxing daay sale at Michaels here in Canada, and the popular Storybook one I bought on Ebay. Michaels (US) sometimes has them on sale for $29.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I think I'm going to take the plunge. Now to start hunting for a good deal. I'm really interested in the Home Decor cartridge, which seems to only be available at Walmart. Anyone have that one? Do you like it? Do you run your letters through a Xyron or just use adhesive?

Thanks for all the feedback! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I love stamping too, in fact it is my first love...but once I got the CE boy oh boy, who knew...I love the idea of fancy shapes quick...recently I used a cart, (can't remember which)to make the cutest umbrella that is used to describe a story we are reading in school...quite intricate, and yet made 30 in what 20 minutes, and then you can take your stamps to them...I love Tags, Bags, and Boxes to make cute gift boxes, to which I can add my own unique stamp design to. You will not be sorry, I almost guarantee(LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Great ideas davesgram! Thanks, Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the Cricut Expression for Christmas from my hubby and let me tell you, I love it!!!! I do NOT do any scrapbooking and what I cut I use for name frames and mostly my cards!!!!!!!! I love the versatility of being able to cut the labels and tags in any size you want. I just bought the Storybook cartridge and LOVE it. So many tags and labels to cut and the borders and corners, WOW!!!!!! And if you have the Expression you can flip your images. And I totally agree that when you need something cut it gets done in lightning speed. I keep telling my hubby that this was the best gift ever!!!!!

Oops, forgot to say, there are several cards in my gallery that show examples of how I used my Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have it and love it love it ;)
if you are doing a lot of scrapbooking, it helps out a lot.
espcially with the letters.
and I love my tags, bags, and boxes cartridge, love I can make any size of bags or boxes and then use my stamps too ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I have the E and I LOVE it!! I would suggest getting Design Studio also - there are so many awesome free files out there!! I just made a pop-up house card that I'm prepping to put up on my blog, and before that I made a pop-up cake file (both of these are like the upcoming Sizzix dies!).

For carts, I like Custom Crops (although they've had a lot of bad press), and I've gotten some pretty good deals on ebay. HTH!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

for scrapbooks and 3D gifts (paint cans, recipe boxes, etc) the CE is great!
I dont really use mine when making cards....probably just because its time consuming and i would rather just stamp.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

The pop ups and 3D projects sound great! I didn't even know about the pop up feature. Thanks for the tips! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I always used my stamps for scrapbook titles UNTIL I got a Cricut Expression for Christmas. LOVE IT!!!! I still use the stamps occassionally just so all my pages do not look identical. When I am scrapping, I set my CE up on the other table just in case I can incorporate something onto a page.

Here are a couple of my pages that I have used the CE for titles:

Caping Memorial Day 0508 - Page 3 by djuseless at Splitcoaststampers
Caping Memorial Day 0508 - Page 4 by djuseless at Splitcoaststampers
Waterdog by djuseless at Splitcoaststampers

I would also eventaully invest in a couple different font cartridges for variety. I have Plantin Schoolbook, Cuttin It Up and Mickey font. I needed the Mickey font for the Disney scrapbook I should be working on right now.

You are going to LOVE your CE for scrapping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for sharing Diane! I am hooked! Anyone get the Home Decor cartridge? I see it's only available at Walmart. Thanks, Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an Expression and one of the things I am most excited about trying it out for is cutting graduating mats for layering. I make cards, but you may find that handy for mats under your photographs. The basic cartridge that comes with it (Plantin Schoolbook) has circles squares ovals flowers apples stars scallops. I could see being very busy with that as a scrapbooker for a long time.

For me the cost of the cricut (whatever size you choose) could pay for itself in that function alone. I love nestabilities and would never give them up. They can do so much in the cuttlebug, but they are at least 20.00 for each shape (gorgeous as they all are.) I'm still researching how well design studio works, but alternatively if you have SCAL (sure cuts a lot) you can make your own shapes; the only limit is your imagination. You can find a free trial version of either software.

Just some thoughts from someone who's cheap (or broke, LOL) and wants it all, LOL. ;O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Diane! I am hooked! Anyone get the Home Decor cartridge? I see it's only available at Walmart. Thanks, Beth
Beth~

Are you talking about the Home Accents cartridge? I could not find the Home Decor cartridge on Wal-Mart's website. If so, it is cheaper at Oh My Crafts. Here's the link to the cartridge:

http://www.ohmycrafts.com/cricutcart...date61608.aspx

I have it and it is great! I bought it from them too. Their service is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the cool website Diane! I'm going to bookmark that! This is the Home Decor cartridge: http://www.cricut.com/shopping/Produ...d=222&s=1&sc=2
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Great ideas Mel! My MIL just told me she's having a really hard time finding mats for her frames. I bet the CE would work for that! Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Expression, the baby bug and more stamps than I care to admit! I find customcrops.com to have the best prices, the carts often go on sale for $30-$45. I use SCAL software, it lets me cut letters using the fonts and dingbats on my computer or design my own templates. I have lots of info and free cutting files on my blog if you are interested. I love the bugs! If you get it and break it out and use it you will love it! I keep my baby bug in my craft room for use with carts and the expression in the office to use with my computer. If you have a friend with one see if you can use it, you may find that the baby bug will do all you need. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks for the cool website Diane! I'm going to bookmark that! This is the Home Decor cartridge: http://www.cricut.com/shopping/Produ...d=222&s=1&sc=2
Beth
It looks like this cartridge comes with the CE when you buy it at Wal-Mart. You cannot buy it separately. Check on eBay, someone may have one for sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuselessView Post
It looks like this cartridge comes with the CE when you buy it at Wal-Mart. You cannot buy it separately. Check on eBay, someone may have one for sale.
Yeah, that's the info I found too. They are not at my local Wal-Mart of Wal-Mart.com. They are on ebay and most go for over $100. I've checked them out a couple times over the last couple weeks.
Does anyone have the Home Decor cartridge? How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Bumping to see if anyone has the Home Decor cartridge? Do you like it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't resist commenting. It sounds like you're considering giving up oranges because you bought a paperback book! They're such completely different elements. Personally, I have a Cuttlebug, a Sillhouette, and way too many stamps. I love being able to cut out the letters with the sillhouette instead of painstakingly cutting them out by hand. Though ... I do have a couple of quickutz words to use in my bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

One other thing I suggest, when you want to get a feel for a product, and see how it works, look for some videos. They are a great help to me and have helped me decide whether or not I want to take the plunge. Start here and check out YouTube...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Changing topics a little. I never heard of the Silhouette until BillieDee mentioned it. Then a friend of mine recommended it to me today. How is the Cricut Expression vs. the Silhouette?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Changing topics a little. I never heard of the Silhouette until BillieDee mentioned it. Then a friend of mine recommended it to me today. How is the Cricut Expression vs. the Silhouette?

I know I talk too much! lol

In a nutshell, the Cricut is a cutting machine that uses cartridges to determine the shape to cut. You buy the cartridges. There's a set of function keys to change size, etc. It does NOT connect to your computer. The Silhouette (older version - not SD) is completely dependent upon your computer. The shape, size, etc - ALL are determined by the robomaster program that you're running. You can buy, trade, swap .gsd files to use for your shapes. Truetype fonts can be used to print out letters - and I often use the weld function to print out complete words.

Now .. SCAL may allow you to use your truetype computer fonts somewhat with the Cricut - I just don't know.

The Expression may be bigger as well. My silhouette is limited in one direction by 8.5 inches. (More accurate to say a little over 7, I think. I'm not sure because I haven't needed anything that big. The cutting mat is 8.5 X 11 but the length can be extended.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I love my CE ...I use it more for scrapbooking then card making, but I did recently cut a card shape with it ....

Don't be Square by DoodleDee at Splitcoaststampers

I used SCAL (Sure Cuts Alot) to cut the Shell. It also allows you to cut any font you have on your PC so no need for me to buy Cartridges Since I know how to use Inkscape and import into SCAL I can cut anything I want from any clipart I find or drawing I do myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoodleDeeView Post
I love my CE ...I use it more for scrapbooking then card making, but I did recently cut a card shape with it ....

Don't be Square by DoodleDee at Splitcoaststampers

I used SCAL (Sure Cuts Alot) to cut the Shell. It also allows you to cut any font you have on your PC so no need for me to buy Cartridges Since I know how to use Inkscape and import into SCAL I can cut anything I want from any clipart I find or drawing I do myself.
Wow! Given that information how will I ever choose between the Cricut Expression and the Silhouette SD? I know the sizes are a little different. I was leaning toward the Silhouette because I wouldn't have to buy cartridges but if I can use Inkscape and SCAL, it sounds like I won't need cartridges for the Cricut either. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

bump for a comparison of the Cricut Expression and the Silhouette SD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

I have a CE and a Pazzles machine. I love the CE b/c it so easy to use. And I love my Pazzles machine b/c the software is so much easier to use than design studio. However, when I was over at the Cricut message board a lady scanned in the Voila stamp,blow it up to 24" using SCAL and cut it out on vinyl to put on her kitchen wall, so cool. I'm typing this on my mobile phone, but I will post a picture of it when I get a chance.

My scanner is in storage right now, but when I get it out, I plan on scanning in my stamps and cutting them out, so I don't have to cut by hand, I love the layered look. Also, my brass embossing plates I plan on scanning those too, it makes it much easier and faster. Also, there are a lot of free files out there and a lot of websites to purchase files as well. The Silhouette, I believe uses GSD files which are very popular, so there are a ton of free files out there as well. I go to UK Scrappers and they have very inticate files which are awesome. UK Scrappers is like SCS for me. If you sign up there, you have to wait 30 days to access their files. With my machine I have to convert my files to WPC. There are many uses for either cutting machines. You can use the vinyl to etch glass which is very nice, they make great gifts. A lot of people decorate their homes with vinyl. The cricut message board has a lot of pictures on what they did. You can also use the pen tool to outline your images or letters. It can cut chipboard, use it for stencils, and make your own embossing folders, make your own stamps.

If you decide on the Silhouette, check to see if the software is "Funtimesoftware". Funtime software is very user friendly. It can copy and paste your pictures and create a cut file for you. Yahoo has a group called funtime. It's very useful and helpful. They have several video tutorials. If I were to buy another machine, I would pick the Craft Robo because you can print and cut, it has an optical eye. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you.HTH

Last edited by sweetpea1501; 04-09-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

Default Here's the picture I was talking about.

Made with SCAL
Cricut Expression vs. Stamps-7ed3496fcd75463f9a609874e7425b65.jpg

Isn't that the coolest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I use both my stamps and cricut. There are things that just require one or the other. I can say if you have kids or teacher friends you will be a blessing to them. I have a freshman daughter that has used it for many projects. I on the other hand love to travel with it so others can cut things out if they do not have one just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes