Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Eriberry
Default Copic vs. Copic?

So, I've succumbed to the fact that I'm going to bite the bullet and buy copics, but now comes the age old question:

Ciao or Sketch? And just what is the difference between the two? Which lasts longer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

You can find tons of information here in this thread including the difference in the two markers. Forums at Splitcoaststampers Personally I love the Sketch.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I started off with the Ciaos strictly based on the cheaper cost and to see if I would like them. I basically got two colours for the price of one (based on CDN pricing) so for me it was a better way to get more colours.

Now I do tend to buy the Sketch markers to fill in my collection.

Personally I don't mind that the Ciaos hold less ink bc they can still be refilled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I too purchased Ciaos strictly becuase of the price and I figure that I definitely don't need over 300 different colors to choose from I have a hard enough time the way it is. I love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Sketch tend to be more popular than Ciao. Why are Sketch more popular than Ciao?...

� Sketch hold more ink to begin with
� Sketch have more colors and any new colors will only
come in Sketch
� The color name is printed on the caps
� Sketch Markers can be airbrushed
� Sketch will not easily roll off your desk
� Ciao are less expensive, but they need to be refilled sooner
� Most people who start with Ciao end up getting Sketch

Either way, they both have the same kind of ink, and identical nibs, so it just comes down to all those other features

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchased the Ciao's first, thinking I would fill in with Sketch. But I'm kind of an "all or nothing" girl, and I am slowly replacing my Ciaos with Sketch. The number 1 reason, other than the range of colors? Having the color on the end of the cap. Yep, that's it! Oh, and there's that airbrush thingy... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I find that i just prefer the Sketch size ones. I also find it much easier to find them at the local art stores so they are the ones that I tend to buy. I do own a handful of Ciaos and may buy a couple now and then, but prefer the sketch size. I like their size, I like that they label the caps so I can stand them up in the container and see their names instantly and there are more of them sold (only a limited group come in Ciao colors). I always like to buy the colors I want in groups so I rarely find Ciao's available that way.

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have about 70 Ciao markers and about 30 sketch markers. I started with the Ciaos because of the price..$2.85 vs $4.20 per marker. My thinking was that because the Ciaos are cheaper, I could get more colors. The only reason I got some of the sketch markers was that they came in colors that were not available in Ciao.

The other factor that I considered is that , yes the sketch markers do hold more ink initially, but eventually even they have to be re-filled. And as long as I could buy the refill inks, I would still be good to go, thus the Ciao markers were more of a logical choice for me. It did not bother me that the Ciao markers do not have the color number on the ends of the cap or that they are round and not oval shaped.

I think of buying Copics as an investment...and as long as you take care of your markers, they will last or should last a very long time. Just my $.02

LT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I just took the plunge last night after weeks of searching the internet and SCS for which markers, what colors, etc... I agonized over the color combinations... made countless lists, struggled with the ciao vs. sketch... and finally let my pocketbook decide... I chose 48 individual colors in the ciao and the colorless blender in the sketch... I agree with one poster above that stated that eventually they all need to be refilled... plus since all the colors are the same no matter what style you buy I'll try my first order and see how it goes... if I like the smaller round barrel of the ciao's, I will stick with them... I was afraid that I wouldn't like the larger square barrel of the sketch because I have short stubby fingers and don't like really fat pens/markers, so we shall see! I'm sure that I will be much more interested in learnig how to use these and the finished result for now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinfool67View Post
I just took the plunge last night after weeks of searching the internet and SCS for which markers, what colors, etc... I agonized over the color combinations... made countless lists, struggled with the ciao vs. sketch... and finally let my pocketbook decide... I chose 48 individual colors in the ciao and the colorless blender in the sketch... I agree with one poster above that stated that eventually they all need to be refilled... plus since all the colors are the same no matter what style you buy I'll try my first order and see how it goes... if I like the smaller round barrel of the ciao's, I will stick with them... I was afraid that I wouldn't like the larger square barrel of the sketch because I have short stubby fingers and don't like really fat pens/markers, so we shall see! I'm sure that I will be much more interested in learnig how to use these and the finished result for now
Correction, the Square shaped one is the original copic marker, the sketch is oval shaped, and smaller than the original.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Sketch all the way. I tend to put a death grip on markers, so I figured the bigger barrel would help reduce hand fatigue, and it does! Some of mine do need to be refilled, but it's taken a lot of coloring to get there. I just need to remember which colors so I can get some refills ordered!

To give you an idea on ink time, quite a few of the ladies who participated in a shoebox swap I participated in last year had Copics at their spots. The Ciaos were mostly dry shortly after lunch (it's an all day swap) and were almost all dead by the end of the day. The Sketch markers were still working strong by the end of the night. Ciaos just hold considerably less ink. You can refill a Sketch marker about six times with a bottle of the various ink and I think you can refill a Ciao twenty plus times with the same bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I started with the Sketch simply because of my OCD. I knew that if I bought Ciao and just had to have a color that only came in the Sketch, I would end up replacing all my Ciao (therefore actually cost me more).

I can't mix and match :(
Reply With Quote Likes