Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Embossing with BRASS TEMPLATES

Hi Stampers!
I have been searching for help embossing with brass templates in the Ellison Big Shot. There is so much info out there and I am just having trouble filtering through it all to find what I need. Can someone help me? I want to get really deep impressions with the Ellison Big Shot and my brass templates.
I have read some tips about using the bug to emboss with brass. Does anyone know if the Big Shot works the same? I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible with the best results.
What works best for you? I have tried a mouse pad and got no impression at all. I tried fun foam and no impression. I made a folder and get a light impression, instead of buying embossing rubber for the folder I embossed the template in a piece of plastic from a claimshell box. This has worked the best, but I want a method that is less work. Do you use an embossing folder or not? If you use a mouse pad or rubber gasket and works where did you get yours and how thick is it? Do you still have to shim?
Thanks for your suggestions. Oh, and if you can link or copy and paste specific info from other sources that would be awesome. I just can not comb through anymore of the vast amount of info on the subject. I am hoping that someone might know just where to find the right answer.
Inky Hugs
Risa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

i think you need the BISK kit to make this work correctly... that's what I've used and haven't had any problems with my brass stencils - they emboss just right! it has a soft silicone? type mat to insert along with the stencil and cutting plates on the MPP... HTH! i think you can also use the Wizard charm embossing kit, i THINK... not positive abt that one

Lovin' Being a Stampin Up! Demonstrator!!
Slowly adding to my gallery! Would love to know what you think!https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=60838
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks yytx!
I think I need to look into the 'BISK'. Do you have a link? Where did you get yours? I am off to check out the Ellison and Sizzix websites to see if I can figure out what you mean by 'BISK'. If you see this thread again can you link me to the item and tell me if you use a folder with each template?
Thank you so much for your reply.
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

The BISK was discontinued this summer. I bought a Sizzix Texturz kit and it is the same thing. Works great with my stencils. I got mine at Archiver's, but I just saw it in Joann's last week! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

LauraN
Do you use one of the clear plastic embossing folders or just the brass template?
Thanks for your reply!
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

To use my brass templates with my sizzix I use a polymer pad...it is like silicone or rubber. Not sure, but I think you have to use this with the cuttlebug, too. I do not need a folder or shims. I got mine at a specialty stamp store for less than $6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RisaView Post
LauraN
Do you use one of the clear plastic embossing folders or just the brass template?
Thanks for your reply!
Risa
I just use the Texturz with the brass template. If I am using a folder like the cuttlebug ones, I just use that like a sizzlet--no Texturz plates. I hope that helps.

Also, if you don't have the mulitipurpose platform, you may want to pick up one of those at the same time. I love mine because it shows you what you need to do whatever, no remembering what layers are needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraNView Post
The BISK was discontinued this summer. I bought a Sizzix Texturz kit and it is the same thing. Works great with my stencils. I got mine at Archiver's, but I just saw it in Joann's last week! Good luck!
Ooops - LauraN is right - I forgot abt that... but I am sure that the Texturz kit works the same exact way since they are the same company and all the bits are totally interchangeable...

try sizzix.com - i've seen them at archiver's too, just forgot abt the name change. sorry!! thanks, LauraN for clarifying!

Lovin' Being a Stampin Up! Demonstrator!!
Slowly adding to my gallery! Would love to know what you think!https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=60838
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

The Ellison BISK or Sizzix Texturz Kit that contains the black silicone sheet to be used with brass stencils needs to go on the MPP - Multi Purpose Platform - so you get the right depth of sandwich to go through the machine and get a good embossing result.

Do you have an MPP? I know the Big Shot didn't originally come with an MPP. If you don't have an MPP, you will need to find out from fellow Big Shot owners what they are using for the brass stencil embossing sandwich so the sandwich goes through the machine OK and you get a good depth of embossing.

I use a BISK myself with the MPP that came with my Big Kick machine, so I can't help - I do hope other Big Shot owning SCSers may be able to help you though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Everyone is so helpful! I think I need to go to JoAnn tomorrow and pick up a Texturz starter kit. I saw they just got them in stock and I have had my eye on it anyway.
I do have a MMP, my BS starter kit came with it. I also have two clear cutting pads. When I use the rubber sheet that comes with the Texturz starter kit, do I still need the clear cutting pads?
I guess I am asking is my sandwhich white MPP, Clear Cutting Pad, Rubber from Texturz, paper, Brass Template, clear cutting pad? Or is it JUST White MPP, Rubber from Texturz, paper, Brass template? I think I need the cutting pads, just cant visualize until I get the Texturz Rubber pad.
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate each of you!
INKY HUGS
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Risa, I'll pop upstairs and get my MPP as the sandwich is printed on there and I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

OK - on my Sizzix Big Kick MPP I use Tab 1 and the sandwich for embossing brass stencils is the 'Metal Stencils without Folder and Counter Die'.

You only use 1 clear pad - plus the black Impressions pad that will be in the Texturz kit.

So from the bottom up you need:

MPP open at Tab 1
Clear cutting pad
Brass Stencil
Paper/Card
Silicone Rubber Sheet
Black Impressions Pad

Happy embossing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

From the bottom up, it's: MPP (Tab 1), Cutting Pad, Metal Stencil, Paper, Silicone Rubber, and Impressions Pad. I find that the metal stencils work OK this way, but the Texturz work much better. So do the CuttleBug embossing folders. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Sorry. Didn't see your post, FubsyRuth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

My MPP doesn't have tabs?!? It is just a thick white block with a sticker on it that says this is not a cutting surface? Wierd! Do you all have Big Shot or Big KICK? I have a Big Shot. I am sure it will work the same, I just wonder if that is why you have a MPP with 'tabs'. I have no clue what the 'tabs' are? How does it work? Now I am just curious....
Thanks stampers!
Inky Hugs
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

The one you have came with my machine too (I have a Big Shot). I purchased separately the MPP with tabs and diagrams for "sandwiches". I am so glad I got it, so I don't have to remember what to layer.

From what I understand, the Big KICK came with a MPP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Yes, the BigKick does come with the MPP. You can purchase it separately, though. It is a must-have for me, as it enables (gotta love that word:mrgreen: ) me to use dies and embossing folders from just about every company. That's the reason I've never bought a QuicKutz. I can use any QK die, even the larger ones designed for the Revolution, in my BK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I have the black rubber sheet but what is the black impressions pad? Is that the rubber sheet that I'm thinking of.

I get pretty good impressions with my sandwich of the regular white base, cutting pad, stencil, paper, black 'rubber' sheet, top cutting pad.

I haven't tried it but I hear that you can lightly mist your paper with water and it embosses better. Has anyone else tried that?

While we are on this subject. Where are you getting your replacement cutting pads?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
I have the black rubber sheet but what is the black impressions pad? Is that the rubber sheet that I'm thinking of.

I get pretty good impressions with my sandwich of the regular white base, cutting pad, stencil, paper, black 'rubber' sheet, top cutting pad.

I haven't tried it but I hear that you can lightly mist your paper with water and it embosses better. Has anyone else tried that?

While we are on this subject. Where are you getting your replacement cutting pads?
Well, rubber mat and Impressions pad are purple, but the Impressions pad is actually just like a cutting pad. That's probably why you're doing just as well with a cutting pad. I've tried misting the paper with water, and it does help a lot. I only have to do that with other brands of texture plates, though. I get my replacement pads on Ebay. HTH, and I hope you're having as much fun with your BigShot as I'm having with my BigKick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I'm absolutely IN LOVE with my BS!! I can use all dies! The only thing that doesn't like the BS is my pocketbook!! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
The Big Kick & Big Shot cutting pads are the same thing & labeled together on the package. I just picked a set up at JoAnn's last week!
Reply With Quote Likes