Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATG - not loving it yet

Okay, so I took the plunge and bought myself an ATG 714. To be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time playing with it (I've made 3 cards...), but other than the strength of the adhesive, I'm not in love yet. I'm finding that the adhesive doesn't "break" cleaning when you're at the end of whatever you're adhering (I've posted that particular whine before), Now I'm finding that the adhesive tape is running off the edge of the little orange roller at the very end (the roller you touch to your paper/CS)... So that the adhesive tape is sticking out past the edge of the roller and isn't running quite straight. Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

I want to love it, I DO, but I really hope all this is just part of the learning curve I've read about. Any suggestions to speed up my love affair with ATG?

Thanks!
Angela

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

As for it not breaking...I had that trouble until I began pressing firmer and holding the roller very flat to the paper. Then it snaps off clean and sharp.

As for it coming off the roller...I had that problem too, but mine was replaced with the recall and the new one is fine...though once in a while, if I don't run it straight, the angle pulls it a bit to the side and I just press it back and use it straighter.

HTH! It really is great once you get the kinks out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Don't forget to let go of the release handle before pulling off the adhesive

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppydoggrinsView Post
Okay, so I took the plunge and bought myself an ATG 714. To be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time playing with it (I've made 3 cards...), but other than the strength of the adhesive, I'm not in love yet. I'm finding that the adhesive doesn't "break" cleaning when you're at the end of whatever you're adhering (I've posted that particular whine before), Now I'm finding that the adhesive tape is running off the edge of the little orange roller at the very end (the roller you touch to your paper/CS)... So that the adhesive tape is sticking out past the edge of the roller and isn't running quite straight. Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

I want to love it, I DO, but I really hope all this is just part of the learning curve I've read about. Any suggestions to speed up my love affair with ATG?

Thanks!
Angela
I am with you. I bought one from The Tape Depot and am not really loving it either. I have the exact same problems. I thought maybe it was because I bought the "off" brand and was thinking of ordering tape from Scotch. I find it bulky and big to use plus the other problems you stated.

Any tips/tricks would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
As for it not breaking...I had that trouble until I began pressing firmer and holding the roller very flat to the paper. Then it snaps off clean and sharp.

As for it coming off the roller...I had that problem too, but mine was replaced with the recall and the new one is fine...though once in a while, if I don't run it straight, the angle pulls it a bit to the side and I just press it back and use it straighter.

HTH! It really is great once you get the kinks out!!

What recall? I've had mine for a couple of months and could never get the darn tape to stay on the roller. Unfortunately I lost my receipt so I couldn't return it and thougt I was out of luck. Is there somewhere to call about this? TIA

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

There are a few things you have to remember with the ATG. You have to stop pressing the button just a little before you are finished rolling. Keep rolling AFTER you have finished pressing the button until it stops.

You also have to hold the gun perfectly straight (90 degrees from the paper). If you tilt it just a little it does come off fairly well. It's suppose to sit close to the edge, but when you hold it straight it shouldn't come off.

I've been using my ATG for quite a while now, and I cannot go back to anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just try and remember, as long as you are squeezing the 'trigger' the gears are in neutral so the spools move freely. Release the 'trigger' a little before you want the tape to stop coming off the spool and you shouldn't have tape running off the edge. As far as coming off the front portion, I think the OP is right about trying to keep the ATG upright & straight. Also, check to be sure you new tape spool is 'locked' in place. (There is a portion in the center that clips over the center plastic spool. There are also prongs that fit into the slots in the center plastic spool.) I know that I am not explaining it too well. Maybe you have a friend that has an ATG or someone at you LSS could check your ATG to make sure it is loaded correctly.

Another place to get directions on how to load and hold the ATG is on youTube. Just type in ATG 714 in the search box.

I hope after you are sure you have your ATG loaded correctly and have watched a youTube clip or 2 that you will learn to 'love' you ATG because it is most economical adhesive applicator.

I have the 714 & the ATG 50 and much prefer the 3M 714 ATG.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks!
Angela
Angela check on youtube.com for help with your ATG....I do agree once you get the hang of it...you will love it.

I wrecked my first roll because I didn't know about pressing the trigger thingy.....when I saw it on youtube then the light went on!

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I am with you. I bought one from The Tape Depot and am not really loving it either. I have the exact same problems. I thought maybe it was because I bought the "off" brand and was thinking of ordering tape from Scotch. I find it bulky and big to use plus the other problems you stated.

Sounds like you don't have it loaded right. Mine did that at first too. Here is a tut- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtyKPRoeOgA

HOWEVER, I'm not crazy about it, because I can't adjust at all once it is stuck. (Totally a problem with ME, not the gun lol.) All my stuff comes out crooked, so now I'm mostly back to using tombow mono multi.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubascrapperView Post
What recall? I've had mine for a couple of months and could never get the darn tape to stay on the roller. Unfortunately I lost my receipt so I couldn't return it and thougt I was out of luck. Is there somewhere to call about this? TIA
The recall was before Christmas last year...is it the REAL ATG? If it is, and it was purchased this year, it wouldn't be part of the recall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Puppydoggrins, if you can find Kokuyo tape runner in your area, try it. Glides sooo easily and refillable and so affordable, at least where I buy mines ar my LSS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Oh another point- don't let the physical size of those huge glue GUNS fool you.

Check the length of the tapes. You would be surprised at the shortness/longness of the glue runners and then calculate how much $$$ per inch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AmberAKAmom

Somewhere I read about using the spatula that is made for use with the Cricut to realign items that are crooked. If you do it fairly soon after you have placed it down, it should come off so you can straighten it. Because the spatula is thin, I can get it between the items then rock is gently as you 'work' the crooked item off the base/mat where you placed it. Use the spatula just like you would use a cooking spatula to unstick food from a pan. I bought it at Joann's or Michael's with a coupon so it was between $5.00 to $8.00 and has been very useful for me. In fact, I have 2: 1 at my worktable and 1 in my workshop bag. You can clean the gummy residue that gets on the surface with Goo Gone or alcohol.

I know that the Slice has an accessory similar but more heart shaped. Knowing me, I would probably poke a hole with the narrow end.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 06-22-2009 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

The recall was before Christmas last year...is it the REAL ATG? If it is, and it was purchased this year, it wouldn't be part of the recall.
I bought mine around Christmas with money that was given to me. It is a REAL ATG it is the 714. Do you have a number or someone I can call? TIA

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubascrapperView Post
I bought mine around Christmas with money that was given to me. It is a REAL ATG it is the 714. Do you have a number or someone I can call? TIA
Ok...if you bought it after Christmas...it would have already been taken care of....since all of the distributors had to return any they had in stock sometime in November I think. You will need the date and the place you bought it from when you call...it's possible that there was a faulty one still out there and you ended up with it. If it's the recall problem, the tape will slide off the side of the roller, and the roll will start to cone out inside, and then it will get hard to pull after about 1/2-2/3 of the roll.

Here is the number for 3M: 800-285-3215 Extension 31: Barb is in charge of the ATG problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Ok...if you bought it after Christmas...it would have already been taken care of....since all of the distributors had to return any they had in stock sometime in November I think. You will need the date and the place you bought it from when you call...it's possible that there was a faulty one still out there and you ended up with it. If it's the recall problem, the tape will slide off the side of the roller, and the roll will start to cone out inside, and then it will get hard to pull after about 1/2-2/3 of the roll.

Here is the number for 3M: 800-285-3215 Extension 31: Barb is in charge of the ATG problem.
Thanks - I'll give them a call tomorrow.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Hmm... that sound suspiciously like what is happening to mine even though I've only had it for maybe a month and a bit now. I've continued to use it since I posted my original question. I emailed the 3M about it and they said to check to see if a) I had it loaded correctly; and b) that there wasn't any slack in the backing as it was being rewound; and c) to ensure I was pulling it "straight".

I'm pretty sure I have it loaded correctly and I that I'm pulling it straight. I mean, I've been using adhesive tapes for almost all of my stuff since I started. I'm assuming that if I was pulling crooked, I'd have screwed them up too because it's got to be the same basic mechanism, right?

I've read the instructions (Gasp!), watched no less than 5 different videos on how to do it, and I even pulled it all apart (twice now) and reloaded it. To me, it seems like the problem is with how it's spooling the used tape... almost like there is too much distance between the removable black piece (the one you click back in once it's threaded) and the back part... so it doesn't wind the used tape straight, and that pulls everything crooked enough to have the tape start pulling to the left off of the red roller.

Now, like you said, the adhesive (I have about 1/3 of a roll left) is coning outwards, and the last time I used it, the adhesive came right off the roll and it is very hard to pull across my paper.

So frustrating! I am loving the adhesive though and once I figure out what the heck is going on, I think I'll love my ATG too. It's great not having to run out and get adhesive all the time.

I think I'll stick it out and see if it is something to do with the roll of adhesive, but if it does the same thing, I'll be after a replacement from where I bought it or from 3M. Thanks for the number and contact info!!

Oh, and I have figured out how to "break" the adhesive now when I get to the end of the paper! Thanks for the advice!

Angela

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post

I have had my ATG for a couple of years and love it! I bought some tape from the tapedepot as I heard such great things about it and it was a good bargain. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of problems with that tape - not staying on the spool and because of that it would not apply properly. It is very sticky though. I was quite frustrated and upset! I went back to the 3M tape and I am in love with my ATG again! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I've read the instructions (Gasp!), watched no less than 5 different videos on how to do it, and I even pulled it all apart (twice now) and reloaded it. To me, it seems like the problem is with how it's spooling the used tape... almost like there is too much distance between the removable black piece (the one you click back in once it's threaded) and the back part... so it doesn't wind the used tape straight, and that pulls everything crooked enough to have the tape start pulling to the left off of the red roller.

Now, like you said, the adhesive (I have about 1/3 of a roll left) is coning outwards, and the last time I used it, the adhesive came right off the roll and it is very hard to pull across my paper

Hmmm, ok. Sometimes that happens to me too (the take-up reel coning the paper that's left from the adhesive, outward), just sporadically, not with every roll...it's not on a regular basis. What I do is break the tape, remove everything off of the take-up reel, and rethread it. That almost always fixes the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes