Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steel dies and Spellbinders

I probably will keep Spellbinders for ever. To look through cartridges to find just the right shape is a lot harder for me than pulling out a die and seeing if it will fit what I want it to.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Nikki, your going to be attached to your Gazelle. I just love mine and the freedom of designing my own work.

I was so excited to download Boss Kut's designs and get some of the steel rule dies. I squealed when I got the St. Bernard and Elephant peeker, lol. I had them on my steel die wish list for so long.

I have the original red sizzix. There is no way I am parting with it. I use it all the time. It's so much easier than using the Big Kick or Cuttlebug. I have a SideKick (TagALong). I got it cheaper than buying the long acrylic adapter pad that I need to use with my border dies. I have it in my Sizzix box where I store all my plates and accessories.

I could never part with my steel rule dies. I cut all sorts of materials out with them. It is easier than pulling out mats, etc... to cut out one simple item.
The Gazelle is ON the UPS truck and should be here soon (I hope, I hope, I hope). I've been stalking the UPS website, I don't know why, I have an awesome UPS guy and he'll bring it to the door and not drop it curbside or at the *wrong* door (even though there is a big sign that says "please use other door" on that door) like FedEx does, but I'm a little paranoid it will be a sub and then left sitting in the rain...oy vey. LOL!

I still have my original Sizzix Press as well. I actually got the Sidekick first, then loved it so much I got the Press, then bought the Big Kick. And I still use all 3 machines. I think the Sidekick has the *perfect* amount of pressure for sizzlits - sometimes the pressure is too much with my Big Kick, or not enough or whatever - but the Sidekick does so well with them. And I love the quick embossing I can do on my Press, and I love how easy it is to use Nesties in my Big Kick and I love my Bigz...and so all 3 get used quite regularly. I know I can use the Nesties in my press but I am scared of breaking them. I don't know why. The pressure amount is similar, I'm sure. It just freaks me out to hear "crick crack crick" and I'm just sure I've snapped a Nestie in half or something.

My family jokes I go through more Big Kick cutting plates than most people do. Now in my defense that is NOT true. It's only 1 pair a month. That's not bad....er. Hopefully that's not bad. Hey, at least I can keep Sizzix in business!!

Now if only Mr. UPS guy would hit my house FIRST today instead of LAST, I'd be so happy. (I have my curtains open and I'm staring at the street, like he'll magically appear.) The Gazelle's new home is all ready and awaiting her arrival (it IS a girl. It is pink. Boy machines would not be pink.)

Oh, and I've learned that the majority of people think "Exercise machine" when I mention I'm buying a Gazelle. And they all think I'm insane and have totally lost my marbles, because I'm so excited about my Gazelle (honestly, I know why they think I'm crazy. I AM after all in a wheelchair! LOL!)

The first day I announced at dinner that I was buying a Gazelle, my sister looked at me like I had lost my brain and said "Oh great, something for you to go flying off of" and I couldn't figure out what the flip she was talking about. How would I fly off of this little pink and white thing, and why would I be ON it in the first place? It took us a minute to figure it out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

It's here! It's actually HERE!! And I apparently let out a squeal that could be heard around the block. I didn't mean to! LOL!

Off to play with my new toy - I'll be back next year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Nikki - come on get up - we want to know - did you fly off your Gazelle or not? hahahaha

really - how is the new toy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Nikki - come on get up - we want to know - did you fly off your Gazelle or not? hahahaha

really - how is the new toy?
Amazingly, I have stayed on it (or rather, stayed firmly planted in my chair refusing to move. Why do people need food anyway?)

I love it! I totally, totally love it. Took me awhile to set it up because I'm a ditz and forgot to press the red stop button and so of course it wouldn't cut. But once I calmed down enough to READ the directions, I figured it out (after posting an embarrassing plea for help on the Bosskut forums. Ack.)

I'm still choosing what to get from bosskut with my $25 digital image gift card that came with the machine, but I am LOVING this thing. I couldn't wait to wake up and PLAY!

It was totally, 100% worth every cent of the $317 and then some to boot! I didn't realize how BIG it would be though. I mean, I knew the dimensions, but I didn't realize how big it would be sitting on my desk. But it fits luckily and there is a place to store my mats right behind it.

Now I have to figure out how to change the blade without slicing myself (ewps.) Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

whoohooo - now show us a picture of it on your desk

Happy cutting - and NOT your fingers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
whoohooo - now show us a picture of it on your desk

Happy cutting - and NOT your fingers!
Once it's not a first-rate disaster zone! I didn't THINK about the clearance, so pushed everything to the back of the desk, now everything is shoved to one side so the mats have room to move.

I've learned I need less pens. No woman needs 40 pens and 100 pencils. But...I LIKE PENS!

5 pads of paper on the desk isn't too much, right?

You can see my addiction to crafting spills over into an overall addiction to anything stationary related, and pens are my special weakness, with pads of paper (hey, I make them, so it's ok right?) a close second.

Um. Now just gotta find a place for those dang pens. Getting rid of them is NOT an option! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #88  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Nikki- I am so happy you loved it. I was actually nervous, lol. It is huge isn't it? You want to know something funny. It's smaller than the Cricut Expressions. I am not joking. I have them both. I have extra room on my desk with the Gazelle.

Make sure when you change the blade you barely feel the tip. Or you will just cut into your mat something horrible. Ask me how I know this?

Remember the Pazzles videos can be used with our Gazelle since it's the same software.

I am so jealous you got the rhinestone feature. I want to upgrade software so I can do rhinestones.

Don't feel bad. I collect markers and pens. I have a large collection on my desk too.

Have fun with the machine. I am here for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #89  
Cardstock Collector

This does not say much. It's the eClips Introduction video. Those who stated it's a Gypsy and Cricut all in one were right. check out sizzix.com's videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #90  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
The word Gazelle gets me all twitter-pated!

Mine did ship. It just feels like it's taking forever to get here (and in reality, it's only been 3 days.)

So I'll have my Gazelle, and my Big Kick, my Sizzix Press and my sidekick and yet...I really NEED that Big Shot Pro to round out my "Sizzix Collection". Oh, and, er, maybe when I'm rich a KNK?

Yeah, I'm addicted. I'm ok with it.

I do wish that now that Sizzix has a digital die cutter that they will make their steel rules available as a download purchase, like Bosskut did. I would SO love that!
Got an email this was on it's way to debut but as soon as I saw the word "cartridges", I got turned off. I just took a deep breath and ordered my Gazelle. Now I wait with anticipation...I haven't gotten my UPS shipping notice yet, Nikki, and I'm doing the nervous Nellie nimbo (what is THAT!?). Are you loving yours?
Charlene -My Gallery
My blog: www.paperandinkplayground.com My shop: thepapersandbox.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #91  
Glitter Guru

Sizzix intro video for eclips: http://www.sizzix.com/videos

When the demo says, "Let me show you some of them," I was hoping there would be an actual demo of the eclips, but the video stops there. I'm thinking that the "show you" part might come later in the week during CHA. Bummer!

More info on the eclips (updated eclips page): http://www.sizzix.com/eclips

The carts: http://www.sizzix.com/category/eclips+Cartridges

Click on the cart you want to see. Click on Image 3 in the gray column to the left of the picture. Click on Zoom to get a larger view -- click on the pic to pop it to full size.

I will admit that I'm bummed it's carts and not SD cards. (I have so many Slice SD cards stored nicely in the little zipper binder and the storage is great!)

I'm thinking the handheld thing will let us manipulate the images on the carts, but I can't find anything more than what's in those links.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #92  
Hardware Hotshot

WOW! their carts look sooo much like Cricut, and the die cuts design style sure copies the Slice doesnt it!! and some of their carts are 69.99!!!!! too high for the style really....i'll gladly stay with my lil blue slice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #93  
Glitter Guru

Yup, and the previews look like the carts don't have all that many cuts. I'm disappointed right now, but want to know more about what the handheld thing does.

I wish Sizzix had used SD cards, especially now that I see how little is on their carts. The Slice cards have that much or more on them, I think.

ETA It sounds to me as though each design can be cut as a 6", 12", 18" or 24" border. That's pretty cool. Also in the description: "Preloaded with excellent features specially adapted for electronic shape-cutting - including cutting solids, shadows, borders, outlines, pieces and embellishments... "

I need to see it in action and see some of the cuts. I hope one of the stors near me has one I can see in person.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-24-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #94  
Glitter Guru

More info from a mailing list I'm on:

Images can be cut as Solid, Shadow, Outline, Charm, Tag, Boarder, and Picture in Picture.

You cannot use Cricut Cartridges in the eclips and at this time you cannot download clips from your computer. The machine will be able to download at a future date and it is my understanding you will not need to buy a new machine, just upgrade the software on this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #95  
Glitter Guru

Here's the cart that comes with the Eclips, and the features that are on each cart.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

hmm....the Slice also shadows,mirrors,and regular!

i wish they would have shown the rest of that video! such a tease.

so far am not very impressed! but who knows, once i see uit in action i may have a very diff op!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #97  
Glitter Guru

I'm not feeling the love here. I already have the cricut, I don't see this as an improvement over that.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #98  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, I'm sure we won't be paying full price for the Sizzix carts, just like we don't pay full price for the Slice cards or Cricut carts.

I'm definitely going to have to see more about this system. I've already decided I won't be buying the Craftwell eCraft machine. They want $300 for the software to design your own cuts, and I already have KNK Studio, SCAL and MTC, so I'm not spending $300 for another cutting program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #99  
Glitter Guru

Great blog entry by Michelle from Paperthreads! She does a very quick review of both the Craftwell ecraft and Sizzix Eclips machines. She's even got a vidoe of the Eclips. I had trouble watching it the first time, but closed out the page and opened it again and it loaded fine.

http://www.paperthreadsblog.com/2010...-paradise.html

I think I'm going to pass on the eCraft, but will continue looking into the Eclips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #100  
Glitter Guru

Sizzix has their videos on their site now. I love the machine, but am not thrilled with the cartridge system or with the designs on this batch of carts. There's only so much of the child-like/hand-drawn look I want. I wish the designs were more like what Making Memories puts out for the Slice (and I've said the same thing about a lot of the Cricut carts -- I wish they used the MM designers! Love the Slice card images!)

http://www.sizzix.com/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Sizzix has their videos on their site now. I love the machine, but am not thrilled with the cartridge system or with the designs on this batch of carts. There's only so much of the child-like/hand-drawn look I want. I wish the designs were more like what Making Memories puts out for the Slice (and I've said the same thing about a lot of the Cricut carts -- I wish they used the MM designers! Love the Slice card images!)

http://www.sizzix.com/videos
Pretty much echoing the same sentiment here. I have a few hand-drawn, more child-like things, and I use them now and then, but not as often as I do lots of other things. I much prefer more of the grown-up type thing! I really wish they had done SD cards though, so if I DID want a cart, I could buy one and use it with the Gazelle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #102  
Glitter Guru

Even if they had gone with SD cards, I'm sure their file format would be proprietary and we wouldn't be able to use them in other machines. Still, I wish it was SD cards. They're so easy to store!

The Eclips carts look easier to store than the Cricut carts, though. Did you watch the video that showed that the carts come in little cases that fit into the Sizzix large storage boxes? That does look pretty handy.

I would be all over this system if I liked the images on the carts better. Maybe the next batch of carts will have more variety in style -- and the prices might come down a bit, too. Also, the Eclips is supposed to have some computer software at some point.

CHA 2010 hasn't been the budget-buster it's been some years. I'm not interested in the Cricut Cake machine, nor in the eCraft machine, nor in Tim Holtz's Sizzix machine (though I do want all his embossing folders and most of his dies!), and I'm perfectly willing to wait a bit on the Eclips.

There are some new Spellbinders and Cuttlebug things I want, and the Slice hands-free thing, and that's about it so far (that I've seen! lol).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #103  
Glitter Guru

I'm resurrecting this old thread to admit that I just purchased the eclips. The price is down to about $200, and there are now a few (very few, which is fortunate for my wallet but unfortunate because I would like more) cartridges I like.

There are two bags and boxes carts, a card & envelope cart, and a card front cart I want.

The biggest reason I'm taking the plunge, though, is that Sizzix is finishing up beta testing and will soon *WORK WITH SCAL*. Sizzix has been upgrading the eclips capabilities all this time, too. I also found out that it prints and cuts, which I didn't realize back when it came out, or perhaps it didn't do that when it first came out.

There will be a free software update on sizzix.com when the eclips is ready for SCAL. I assume people will have to buy SCAL on their own, but I already have it, so no additional cost for me there.

So, for $200, it's worth it to me even if those four carts are all I ever buy.

Provo Craft is *so* going to regret booting out the open design programs and putting a chastity belt on the Cricut system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #104  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

[QUOTE=TheOtherMeg;18553199] "I'm resurrecting this old thread to admit that I just purchased the eclips. The price is down to about $200, and there are now a few (very few, which is fortunate for my wallet but unfortunate because I would like more) cartridges I like."]

I'd sure like to hear from you and anyone who did make the eclips plunge about how you like it. The artwork is iffy for me, just hoping they will improve it.

How did you hear about the SCAL connection? Did they say if we'd be able to download files from other SCAL sources to use? Where did you find the eclips at that good a price?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #105  
Glitter Guru

Hi Melody!

I got the eclips at Oh My Crafts. They have it for $229, and they were running a 20% off your entire purchase over $100 deal, so that lowered the price to $184.

I just checked and the 20% off deal is still on their webpage, but their Facebook page said it was for 5 days, and it was posted there on Thursday. I think OMC is in Utah, so maybe the time zone is working in your favor. It's after 1am now where I am.

The coupon code is SUMMER20. Here's the link to the OMC home page:OMC home page with coupon code at the top

Here's their Sizzix eclips page: Sizzix eclips at OMC

OMC doesn't have all the new cartridges that were revealed at CHA, but they do have the Cards & Envelopes cart that I wanted.

eclips cartridges on sizzix.com

I hope Sizzix gets great feedback on the less childish carts like the Bags & Boxes, Card Fronts, and Cards & Envelopes carts. That would likely lead them to creating more of this type. I don't want only 3D & card cuts, but I do prefer realistic shapes over the childish renderings. I'd love a cart full of realistic animal cuts -- even a couple carts, like one for water/ocean life and one for land animals (and one for dinosaurs).

Sizzix has a Facebook page and I think that'd be a good place to make cartridge suggestions.

ETA Regarding SCAL, Sizzix announced it (so did OMC, and it's on some youtube videos people uploaded from CHA). I spoke to Sizzix customer service this morning and confirmed that there will be an online software update to make the current eclips work with SCAL. They are not going to make folks buy a new machine for this, which is what I was thinking might be the case when I saw the price drop to $229. When I mentioned the big price drop, CS said that Sizzix recently gave their retailers permission to lower the price, and that's why I''m noticing price drops - -it is NOT because retailers are dumping "old" machines to make room for a new model coming out. There is no new model in the pipeline, according to CS. SCAL is going to work with the current eclips.

ETA again to fix my math!

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #106  
Glitter Guru

Picture of a sign posted at the Sizzix booth at CHA:

Photo is from Craft Critique's review of CHA and the Sizzix announcement
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #107  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had mine for about 6 months and love it and use it almost daily for something. I was a happy camper to learn that it will be working with SCAL soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

Shoot! Now I am really thinking about getting one. I do love my Cricut but I would like to use SCAL for many designs I am seeing people put out. *sigh* Why is it that Christmas is still 5 months away?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #109  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
Shoot! Now I am really thinking about getting one. I do love my Cricut but I would like to use SCAL for many designs I am seeing people put out. *sigh* Why is it that Christmas is still 5 months away?:confused:
Well, it's not quite ready to use SCAL yet, but maybe by Christmas it will be? And the print and cut feature? Sizzix has now posted the new cartridges scheduled to come out in September, and finally some I like better!! WooHoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #110  
Glitter Queen

I saw a really good demo at the Scrapbook Expo here in Santa Clara last week. I've watched all the videos, both from Sizzix and from designers who have one.

SCAL (CraftEdge) posted on their forum that they are indeed building SCAL for the Eclips and hope to have it in the early fall.

I really liked all of the features, especially how they handle print/cut (which the cartridges do), a score feature that really scores, not put perforations in the paper.

So when I'm comfortable that SCAL works, I'm getting one. Oh it works with a Mac so I don't have all that hassle I did with my Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #111  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I've had mine for about 6 months and love it and use it almost daily for something. I was a happy camper to learn that it will be working with SCAL soon!
Hi Jeanne.

t!m holtz just partnered with sizzix on their eclips machine so now i'll be getting one of these and I was just wondering if you tell me, if you don't mind, what types of materials have you cut with this machine (i.e. chipboard, felt, foam, acrylic, etc.).

Any info would be appreciated.

I've read that it cuts more than paper, and I'm getting it no matter what it cuts LOL :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #112  
Glitter Queen

I got my eclips as soon as SureCuts alot (craftedge) released the software for it. I really, really like it. I've only cut paper and cardstock although it says it will cut all those other things you mentioned.

My favorite features are:

* laser cut - it runs a laser beam over your mat showing you exactly where a design the image will cut....I've saved so much paper already.
* score - without doing much of anything except designating that a line, shape, etc should be a score it just scores instead of cut. Yes you can mix score/cut on the same mat, same file.
*pens - I can use gel pens, markers, ballpoint etc. Again, you designate which elements in your image should be drawn. The software leads you to inserting the pens (by color according to your design) and then does the cut lines.
* easy changing pens with blade (all top loaded not like the cricut at all)

I know I sound like a commercial but I'm really happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #113  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi Jeanne.

t!m holtz just partnered with sizzix on their eclips machine so now i'll be getting one of these and I was just wondering if you tell me, if you don't mind, what types of materials have you cut with this machine (i.e. chipboard, felt, foam, acrylic, etc.).

Any info would be appreciated.

I've read that it cuts more than paper, and I'm getting it no matter what it cuts LOL :shock:
I've cut lightweight chipboard and very heavy cardstock (120#), regular weight cardstock (80#) lightweight papers.

I know it cuts more... that's just what I've used so far. Ha!

I know it does well with the sticky back canvas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #114  

Thanks Jeanne and Susan - I really appreciate the info. This looks like an awesome machine to me

Now I will just start to watch for sales and coupons so I can get the best deal I can find.

I do have another question. Using the eclips with SCAL, does that mean that I could stamp an image (i.e. a flower) and then scan the stamped image into my computer and then the SCAL software would allow the Eclips to cut out that stamped image that I uploaded to my pc?

:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #115  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

I'll let someone else answer that. I don't have the SCAL (yet... ha!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #116  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Now I will just start to watch for sales and coupons so I can get the best deal I can find.
Oh My Crafts has it for $260 and they usually have a 20% off coupon going which brings the price to $208 with free shipping.

Quote:

I do have another question. Using the eclips with SCAL, does that mean that I could stamp an image (i.e. a flower) and then scan the stamped image into my computer and then the SCAL software would allow the Eclips to cut out that stamped image that I uploaded to my pc?
Yes. You absolutely can do that. Over on a Cameo board people have been mocking the new Tim Holtz system because you can do just as you describe to get the same capability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #117  

Quote:

Yes. You absolutely can do that. Over on a Cameo board people have been mocking the new Tim Holtz system because you can do just as you describe to get the same capability.
Thanks very much for the info - this is terrific news.

I don't have an electronic cutting machine, so I can get whichever electronic cutter best suits my purposes (budgetary considerations being comparable, of course).

I am already a fan of Sizzix products because I have a Bigshot and a Vagabond and I find them to be reliable and very durable and I really put them through their paces :shock:

Of most importance to me is (1) which machine can cut the thickest material and (2) SCAL capability. I work with a lot of chipboard, matboard, cardboard, and acrylic.

Thanks, again, for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #118  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Of most importance to me is (1) which machine can cut the thickest material and (2) SCAL capability. I work with a lot of chipboard, matboard, cardboard, and acrylic.
You may want to look at one of the heavier-duty (and more expensive) machines. In all my reading, the Cameo and eclips CAN cut heavier materials, but they're not really designed to do it a lot. You might want to look at the KNK Zing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #119  

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmom1View Post
You may want to look at one of the heavier-duty (and more expensive) machines. In all my reading, the Cameo and eclips CAN cut heavier materials, but they're not really designed to do it a lot. You might want to look at the KNK Zing.
Thanks for the additional suggestion - I will check it out !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #120  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks for the additional suggestion - I will check it out !!
I'll add my agreement with checking out the KNK machines. The Zing is the newest, but all of their machines are great, real workhorses. There are even some people who make models of trains, etc., out of balsa(?) wood and it can cut a huge # of materials.

These work with your computer and don't need purchases of cartridges. There are an unbelievable number of files available on the web, lots free, and you can easily design your own. I've had nothing but great support from their staff. I have a referral to a seller/support person, and links to fabulous teaching sites, if you'd like. Just PM me if you know how, or put another note here, if you're interested in this info.

Unfortunately, I had already purchased an eclips before I learned that the Zing was coming. I would gotten the Zing, but also like my eclips, but hate purchasing cartridges. Just bought eSCAL for it, but haven't tried it.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Harmony60; 01-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: needed to add more info
Reply With Quote Likes