Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie question: Glues verus tape

Hi,
I'm a newbie and here's my second question .

I've got a book on how to make cards and it talks about two ways to adhere paper: Glue or double-sided tape. She talks about craft glue. So, question #1 is what does she mean by craft glue, like Mod Podge?

Second, do most of you prefer the double-sided tape to the glue?

Thanks!
Tracy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I think she means like tombow mono multi - https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P....asp?pid=52190. It's like the old elmer's, but made to use on papercrafts. LOVE it! It's great for things like covering chipboard.

But for adhering paper, I use Tombow mono (tape runner - https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P...asp?pid=62106). This is great for most everything. Some people use an ATG - https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P...asp?pid=ATG700 I find it's too bulky. I GUESS these could be called double sided tape.....

THEN there's glue dots for adhering buttons and things (also called glue boogies) and sticky strip (red tape - THIS is what I consider double sided tape) for things like ribbon and also can be used for covering large items like books and paint cans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't like tape runners because it doesn't hold as firmly as glue. I use Zip-Dry by Beacon, and it holds bulky chipboard, delicate patterned papers, layers, and when i use it i know it will never come apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, it depends on the materials I am using. For most normal paper-to-paper applications, I like to use a tape runner. For small things like gems or other tiny embellishments, I may use a daub of glue or a sitcky dot. If I think the item will have a lot of stress on it, you cannot beat the "red tape" for a serious hold! (Actually, the tape is clear, just the peel off liner is red). Sometimes I even use a normal piece of Scotch tape - like anchoring a ribbon on the back of a layer). I think it is all a matter of personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 660 Likes on 375 Posts

Like jazzytobi, I use Zip Dry and love it. A lot of people use tape and I have used it but mostly when I did scrapbooking. Someone working in a stamp store told me she used Zip Dry for making cards and I tried it and have stuck with it. Really like it and I buy mine at Hobby Lobby, usually with a coupon.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for all your replies--VERY, VERY helpful!

Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracy, I would suggest that you go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels or another store like them. Get a bottle of Zip Dry or Mono Multi in the green and white bottle. Also get a small roll of double sided tape, and if you want, also a "tape runner" which comes in a package and costs a couple of bucks.

Then you can try each method and see which one you like the best for the cards you're making.

The good thing about the liquid adhesives, like Mono or the Zip Dry, is that you have a little "wiggle room" after you stick things together to adjust the paper slightly if you haven't lined it up just right.

Usually, with the tape or the tape runner adhesives, once it's stuck, you're out of luck.

I tend to use the Mono Multi liquid adhesive the most, but I have tape on hand if I need it. With the Mono, you just need a tiny line of it around the edge of whatever you are adhering. You don't want too much, as it will "squish" out between the layers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

the problem with using glue is the fact that water and paper don't mix well it can wrinkle the paper if you use to much. Elmers glue is way to watery craft/tacky glue is basicly the same just less water so if you use SMALL dots in the corners and one in the middle it works well. Sometime depending on the paper you will see it on the finished side but when it dries this does seem to go away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilliannView Post
the problem with using glue is the fact that water and paper don't mix well it can wrinkle the paper if you use to much. Elmers glue is way to watery craft/tacky glue is basicly the same just less water so if you use SMALL dots in the corners and one in the middle it works well. Sometime depending on the paper you will see it on the finished side but when it dries this does seem to go away.
Zip Dry is different than Elmers! There is no water, and therefore will NEVER warp your cardstock or patterned paper no matter how much you use, or how thin the paper is. It's truely amazing stuff..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

i will have to look for that stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use either tombow mono multi (in green and white bottle) or Adtech from Walmart (NOT the dot glue runner-the regular one) From my experience that glue is stronger than tombow tape runner or SU's tape runner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I use an ATG. I love love love mine. I had used about every type of adhesive out there and upon a suggestion tried this and I love it. I do sometimes use a wet glue when needed, but not very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

I like ZIP dry, too. I buy it at Michael's with a coupon.

And I use my ATG instead of tape runners.

I also like the Tombow multi (I use both green and blue.) But, I found that the Dollar Tree carries DAP in identical bottles.

So, my new favorite glue is the DAP from Dollar Tree -- I love a bargain!

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Zip Dry is different than Elmers! There is no water, and therefore will NEVER warp your cardstock or patterned paper no matter how much you use, or how thin the paper is. It's truely amazing stuff..
I love my ATG 714 & have tons of Zip Dry saved up. I love this stuff for my chipboards & embellishments, but I have a problem like many Zip Dry users...it clogs up. Have you been able to find an effective way to keep it from clogging up? I have to use my paper piercer almost every time and it's damaging the tip of the bottle. I won't give up on it because it's awesome stuff, but I get irritated that I have to unclog it every time I need to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with zipdry, sounds interesting. However, I have used other
glue sticks, which tend to dry out; and after awhile, a card in my storage supply will come loose when adhered with glue stick. I prefer double stick tape, as a beginner, and graduate to ATG gun

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

fura, take your applicator tip off after using the zip glue, and leave it on a piece of paper, so the glue settles and dries at the bottom, not the top. put the original cap back on the glue bottle. when you're ready to use it again, take a paper piercer, and from the wide end of the applicator tip, stick the piercer between the dried glue and the plastic of the applicator, and peel the dried glue out. you'll probably have to *dig* a little of it out of the tip, but not much. i keep two or three applicators handy, in case i have to switch them out while i'm working on cards. kind of a hassle, but worth it to me....

to the OP, i used to use the mono adhesive tape runner, but my cards were constantly falling apart, which really bothers me; i spend too much time making these cards, to have them fall apart, grrrrrr.....love the zip glue, and sticky strip. i mainly use sticky strip for ribbon, because the zip does tend to leak through the fabric a bit.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 660 Likes on 375 Posts

I was having a bad time with my Zip Dry glue until I discovered I was putting the wrong cap back on after I used it. I needed to have left the clear funnel cap on with the red funnel (it is now red instead of clear or white) over it instead of putting the round cap back. I was having to use the paper piercer and dig out dried glue. Now I usually just have to pull a little bit of glue off the top with my fingers when I start to use it and that is it! Love the Zip Dry.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mono Multi rocks.

https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P....asp?pid=52190

Tape runner tape sticks fine at first, but after a couple months, stuff starts falling apart.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Love Zip glue. I use my funnel top (red) but keep a quilting pin (longer than straight pin and with a yellow flower top) handy to open it when I use it. Zip will practically dry as you use it so it needs to be opened often. I like a very fine line of glue so I barely clip the tip of the applicator on my zip or crystal effects. I never use a paper piercer to open them as they make the hole too big.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Default Today

I made my first card today! It was fun and I definitely learned some things about the glue :-)....thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a newbie too.
I didn't realize adhesives were so problematic .
My local craft store sells a double sided tape they call "Red Line" . I don't know if that is the brand name or just what they call it. You lay down the first sticky side and then remove the red paper to expose the other sticky side to attach something to the first piece of paper. Does that tape hold for a long period of time? Or do cards made using that fall apart too?
Thanks
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Red line tape is super sticky. A lot of people use it to adhere things to stay forever. I use it alot to hold glitter down and haven't had any problems with the glitter coming off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks!!
I will buy Red line tape.
Another product they sell is called "Zots" . They are little dots of glue on a roll of waxed paper. The glue dots are peeled off the wax paper to use. Do those hold for a long time?

Thanks
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
fura, take your applicator tip off after using the zip glue, and leave it on a piece of paper, so the glue settles and dries at the bottom, not the top. put the original cap back on the glue bottle. when you're ready to use it again, take a paper piercer, and from the wide end of the applicator tip, stick the piercer between the dried glue and the plastic of the applicator, and peel the dried glue out. you'll probably have to *dig* a little of it out of the tip, but not much. i keep two or three applicators handy, in case i have to switch them out while i'm working on cards. kind of a hassle, but worth it to me....
Now I wish I had kept the empty applicator tips. This will probably be the best solution for me. It beats ruining the tip of the applicator. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

The Beacon's 3-in-1 glue is wonderful for adhereing paper and it doesn't warp at all. It is a clear liquid glue that I love and it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default Another adhesive/ Carpet tape

There are many glues and adhesives for different uses as stated by others and we all find our favorites. One not mentioned yet is pretty inexpensive and it can be found in K-mart and Walmart. Buy carpet tape in any width you like and cut strips. I use it primarily when I put a "topper of folded cardstock" on a clear plastic filled goodie bag. It works like red-line in that it you adhere to your chosen spot or line and peel off the white liner. Permanent so position carefully. Holds paper to plastic for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the ATG or glue dots for day-to-day use. BUT I love these newbie questions - kinda like ongoing education, I'm sometimes reminded about products I'd forgotten or some new ones. This Zip Dry for instance - gotta get me some of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Mono Multi is my personal favorite, but Elmer's does make a No Wrinkle glue that comes in an orange applicator which I use when out of Mono Multi. You can get the Elmer's at WalMart for under $2.00. I have never had any problems with it coming apart and it does not wrinkle the cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I think it's totally personally preference. I have several different typse of adhesives that I use in different situations. I have just a regular glue stick to use for smooth paper to smooth paper only, Zots for heavier objects like chipboard, buttons, dew drops, etc., Tombow permanent tape for most other paper to paper adhesions, pop dots for things I want to have dimension and sometimes I'll just run things through my 1.5 Xyron (ribbon, small images, rhinstones) and stick them on. I think it's all about personal preferences and what you think works best. Good luck!

Stickles Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowfeatherView Post
Thanks!!
I will buy Red line tape.
Another product they sell is called "Zots" . They are little dots of glue on a roll of waxed paper. The glue dots are peeled off the wax paper to use. Do those hold for a long time?

Thanks
Barbara
I think you'll find that the red liner tape will get expensive to use, plus it is fussy since you have to peel off the layer to use it. I also find it to be very staticky (sp?), making it hard to work with. It definitely has its place when you don't want something to come unstuck, like a box or basket.

I haven't had great luck with the Zots brand but I love Glue Dots.

Your best bet is really to test a few adhesives. They're not too expensive and there will be something you're sure to love that's also easy to apply.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my ATG 700 tape gun (Inexpensive in the long run after initial purchase) for areas larger then a few inches. 2 sided tape for curves or 1" or less and glue dots for flowers or pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I use several types of adhesives. My favorite of all is double-sided tape. A trick I learned at a class is that it takes scotch tape 30 minutes to set. I've "experimented" with this several times. I don't think it would work very well with thinner paper. I LOVE Quikie Glue pen by Sakura for adhering bling. Glue dots for bigger bling and flowers and the red tape when I want something to hold for 100 years. I also have something called Dry Bond which I purchased with a friend from a drafting company that is wonderful. You put your piece on the side that has the little blue glue dots, place the top paper over your work and then burnish your piece and the glue dots come off on your piece. It is repositional and it works great with tiny and fine designs that need adhering. Actually found out about this product right here on SCS a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

The ATG 700 tape gun is quite expensive.
Does it lay down two sided tape or a line of adhesive like the runners?
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraflyView Post
Hi,

I've got a book on how to make cards and it talks about two ways to adhere paper: Glue or double-sided tape. She talks about craft glue. So, question #1 is what does she mean by craft glue, like Mod Podge?

Thanks!
Tracy
Adhesives 101...

Craft glue is the term usually applied to white (PVA) glues...Elmers is probably the most common brand of a white glue. All white glues are water-removable, water based, non toxic, quick to set, yellow over time (not because of the glue, but because of the enviornment), and some are acid-free.

Tacky glues are a form of white glues...with the same features of a white glue.

Acrylic-based adhesives are permanent when dry (water resistant), acid-free, water-based, non toxic, slow to set, and do not yellow over time.

Semi solid adhesives...glue sticks are water reversible.

White glues, acrylic-based glues and semi solid adhesives are made from synthetic ingredients.

Natural adhesives (Yes! Glue is one) are made from plant or animal matter. Not all are acid-free; all are water reversible.

Solvent-based adhesives should be used with care...follow all directions on the container. These adhesives should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women or anyone with alergies and/or breathing problems. Adequate ventilation is a necessity when using these adhesives.

Regardless of the type (synthetic or natural) these adhesives should be applied in a thin, even coat; with the exception of a contact cement, apply to one surface; if necessary, remove excess with the edge of either a charge card or craft stick. After the surfaces are adjoined, each side should be burnished to secure the bond. Each of these adhesives has a different cure time...the time requried for the bond to become stable...movement or excessive handling prior to cure time can greatly affect the bond..

Interestingly...when I was writing the glue book (The Complete Guide to Glues & Adhesives) all manufacturers asked that I inform readers to apply the glues or adhesives in a thin layer and burnish, burnish, burnish. Most problems occur (layers coming loose or falling apart) due to an excess amount of glue and/or not burnishing. The bonding power of some adhesives actually decreases when an excess is applied.

Tapes, adhesive sheets, dots , Xyron etc, are referred to as a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) and are available in permanent, repositionable or removable forms. Selection is determined by the intended use of the PSA. Again, burnish, burnish, burnish. Although it appears that bonding is instant, these adhesives also have a cure time.

Check your library to see if they have a copy of my book...it containsall sorts of 'sticky' info and projects.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 01-28-2009 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

burnish, burnish, burnish.

What do you mean by "burnish"?
When I do colored pencil work I have a colorless pencil called a blender pencil. After I complete a piece I go over all the coloring with the blender pencil using a circular motion. We call that burnishing. It blends the colors and gives the work a shine.
What is the burnishing technique in reference to adhesives or glues?
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowfeatherView Post
What do you mean by "burnish"?
When I do colored pencil work I have a colorless pencil called a blender pencil. After I complete a piece I go over all the coloring with the blender pencil using a circular motion. We call that burnishing. It blends the colors and gives the work a shine.
What is the burnishing technique in reference to adhesives or glues?
Barbara
To burnish is to apply pressure over the areas that have been adjoined. There are 'official' burnishing tools, but the side of either a craft stick or charge card works, as does a smooth-top bottle cap (see http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...sydoes-it.html )

As noted in the blog entry, cover fragile papers with a piece of scrap vellum for protection when bushishing.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 01-28-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: url didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all of the great information. I will be sharing many of these ideas with people that I crafts with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

I think I'm in the monority here, but - I like scotch double sided tape! I buy it in bulk at BJs. No pieces have popped off yet!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraflyView Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Tracy
Double-sided tape is a must! I use this 90% of the time when working with cards. I do use various types of glue--but remember to make sure that it is "acid-free". Glue sticks especially! This is important when you are making a scrap book page! We want them to last.... oh yea...BIG FIND...I was a Kroger a few days ago before our big blizzard and found double-sided tape for 75 cents each!!!! I bought 20 rolls!! I think i am good on adhesive for a while..LOL Happy Scrappin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

I also love double sided tape. I get mine at Sam's Club and there are 6 rolls in a package (I go through alot). What I love about double sided tape is that it is easy to pick up and move around as everything I make is usually crooked. I also love the Scor-It tape which is sold on the Scor-Pal site. It is alot like the redline tape, but instead of the red plastic liner it is a thin white paper liner (thus you can cut the liner with your fingernail rather than using a scissors like you need to with the redline tape. The price on this is totally more reasonable than the redline tape. It comes in 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" width and I see that they just added some wider tapes this January.
Reply With Quote Likes