Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugggh! Stamping on Tiles! Ugggh!

:( :(
Ok, I have now read just about every single SU and SCS post about stamping on tiles. And I have spent the last 24 hours emailing and calling everyone of my customers and friends who attended my recent stamp camp...because...

Last night while cooking/baking my homemade caramel popcorn, I spilled some of the caramel on my "Frosty" tile trivet. I took it to the sink, used my dishbrush (with Dawn liquid) and started to clean it off -- I cleaned it off, all right, Frosty disappeared right before my eyes.

At stamp camp, we used Stazon. The tiles were 4x4 ceramic (glazed) tiles. We heat set it with the embossing gun. We used Sharpies to color them in. We heat set again. I told everyone that it was recommended to seal them (acrylic clear spray ???) Those who tried it -- the colors bled right off. So we decided not to seal them.

My tile has been fine on the stove (even when it got wet, it dried right off and no ink came with it) for over a month. Why now did it wipe off?
To top it off, most of my customers LOVED this project. Most of them made these as gifts. One of them made 160 tiles and mailed them out. Ugggggh!

I don't know what to tell them anymore. I'm mortified, but also upset that they put so much time, money and effort into these and now they can't give them in good conscience.

Please someone tell me what to do here. One customer I called last night redid hers, reheat them, lightly misted them with the acrylic sealer, once, twice, and watched as the colors all started to melt. Uggggh!
-- Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just mailed out all of my Christmas gifts to my family today. They were all tile coasters. OH NO!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I've had the same problem, all of them have washed off, and I've already given away some as gifts. My DH is going to try spraying some with clear spray paint, the type they use on cars! As a clear coat, but he's a mechanic so he has access to that stuff, anyway we're still not sure it will work without running

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default Tile problems

It must have something to do with the "Glazed" tiles becaue I use "Tumbled" Tiles for ones that I was going to use and that doesn't happen. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #5  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I have sprayed mine with a clear laquer(sp?) varnish, and had the image come off just from being touched! Good luck with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default tiles

Okay girls, there has got to be a big secret here someone is holding out on us. I did all the right things too and just as soon as I stuck my cup of coffee on my tile, it flaked right off :shock: (even with a clear spray sealer). I decided to test mine before making gifts. I guess I was the lucky one. Well, if anyone out there can figure it, PLEASE SHARE..... Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Were the tiles you were using unfinished tiles(tumbled)? Or were they finished with a glaze before you stamped on them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

They were glazed. But they did nothing for over a month, even when I wet them with water and wiped them off. It wasn't until I used liquid detergent on them that everything came off -- the sharpie colors and the black stazon.
-- Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Default Tile Problems

I'm going to take one of my tumbled tiles that I made a while ago and see it this happen. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Default Tile problems

OK guys, I just took one of my tumbled tiles and rubbed it with soap and water and even ran it under the faucet and nothing came off. Thank the Lord! When I made them I use the black staz on, colored them in with chalks and blender pens and than sprayed with the sealer. I really think it is because they are glazed. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, it is due to the glaze, which makes them waterproof for use in bathrooms, etc. There is no "tooth" for the ink to grab onto. The tumbled marble/stone tiles are not glazed (and MUST be sealed if you put them in a shower, etc.), so they are the perfect surface to ink. If you use StazOn and/or Sharpies on the unfinished stone tiles, you don't have to seal them. I'm using one of my favorites (like one of the dragonflies that is in my gallery) as I type this--it's not sealed, and it is used daily. Drinks "sweat" badly in Florida due to the humidity, so I don't seal my coasters. If I did, there'd be a pool of condensation on the table lickety-split!
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

The problem is your tiles....with the ceramic glazed ones the ink just sits on the tile - as a pp stated it has nothing for the ink to hold on to like the tumbled tiles. The image will sit and dry on top - perfect if you want to diplay the tile on the wall...this would explain why you could wipe it with water and nothing happened - I am assuming you didn't scrub the tile. When you added a detergent (i.e. the dish soap) and scrubbed the image had no where to go but off

However in everyday use the image is just not going to last - you can try to spray it and depending on the spray it might work - however since the image sits on top of the tile once you spray it the image is going to "transfer" to the sealant layer - which means if the layer gets cracked or chipped bye bye image...

Your best bet from here on out is to use bottochino tumbled tiles - (from a discussion a few days ago it seems like the Regalto tumbled tiles are maybe not a pourous as the Bottochino ones and can cause images to come off)

Below is a cute and paste from previous tile posts - the info for the 2x2 tiles would be the same for glazed ceramic tiles of any size

2X2 tiles

Usually come as a "sheet" of tiles of about 36 of them - all stuck together with a type of putty - I have only bought squares but they do come in a variety of shapes...if you can find them

OK with the little ones - I use DH's utility shears (shhhh...don't tell him) to cut them apart and get them close to the tile as I can. I then use some sandpaper to sand down the edges...

Here is the thing - THIS IS JUST FOR THE SMALL 2X2 SHINEY TILES...

Stamp your image with Staz-on and then use your heat gun to heat set the staz-on - after this step THEN color in using your sharpies - if you don't heat -set the outline image first then the sharpie can pick up the Staz-on color (which when you are doing outlines you are usually using the black) and muddy the color a bit.

I don't bake them since they are just going to be used as magnets - likewise I don't seal them - I have tried to seal them in the past but have found that even with heat -setting them with my heat gun depending on the sealer it can cause the image to run or feather. Also if for some reason it drops or the sealent "cracks" and chips off the image goes with it to (found this out thanks to my daughter)

I have popped them in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to heat them up to "bake" the image to the tile - works pretty well and I haven't been able to rub off the image with those as opposed to the ones I don't do anything with (sometimes the sharpie color can rub off if you rub hard enough)

I use my glue gun to attach the magnet to the back but you could use CE.

for the edges I have used tacky tape and microbeads, others have used a paint pen to make it nicer, some I haven't done anything with

For the TUMBLED TILES for coasters

You can find these in home stores - usually comes in a a small box of 9 for about ~$6 - usually by the name Bottochino (?) or Regalto (?) or some variation. I usually sit on the floor and go thru a few boxes and make a box of nice ones - since they are tumbled tiles some can have divots and small cracks in them to add to the character of the tile. These tiles are porous to a point so they will "soak" up the ink used to make any images. They will also soak up water from a glass hence why they are popular for coasters.

This is what i do - everyone has their own little quirk or way to do the tiles

Stamp images - heat set with embossing gun - color in with sharpies - bake at about 300 for about 10-15 minutes to "set" the images and colors - attach cork, felt or rubber feet to the back with hot glue or some other type of epoxy and you are done... (BTW I have found thin cork circles at the $ store and thicker ones at the home stores - most come as adhesive - I usually add a small drop of CE before I stick it one just to make sure it is going to stay)

If you are just using staz-on and sharpies for the tumbled tile all you need to do is bake it - no sealent needed and trust me I have used a bunch of different cleaning supplies on my coasters (my daughter ruined a few with an ink pen so I have used those as testers for a bunch of different things) and the image is NOT budging - the only thing that has made the image budge even slightly after being baked is a solvent remover (Like Staz-on cleaner or nail polish remover) and even that you have to scrub to get the image to budge and then it only makes it duller and doesn't completely remove the image.

I would highly suggest baking it so that the image is heat set into the tile material - I have some that I didn't heat set and they do just fine but it really only takes a few minutes to do the baking step - I usually do a bunch all at once and just bake them all at once.

If you are using pastels or some other water soluable materials for coloring in then you would need to seal it somehow - many people have reccomended Patrice Nimrocks (with a blue label - can be found at Micheals and Wal-mart) However since I own almost every Staz-on color and every color of sharpie (even the new pastel ones - it is a sickness with me) I just stamp - color and bake and no problems

Hope this helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

We just did this as an exercise at a stamp camp, and we used clear embossing powder over the staz-on. Made write-on wipe off boards with it, and it seems to be working fine. (Using large shiny tiles.)
Maybe that would work?

HTH
Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Haven't tried the tiles yes but - I use to do ceramics & I know girls there stamped/painted on plates & would heat set that in an oven. I wonder if the heat gun really heat sets it enough.....

-K

- Kelly A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I have only done the unfinished tumbled tiles- for that reason. I just did not trust that ink being permanent on glazed tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default TILES

I have seen the botlochino tiles as mentioned, but as I recall, they were a strange brick color. I suppose that is why the glazed tiles are more attractive to most of us because they come in that nice white/off white color. I know I am more apt to buy the glazed because the stamped images will show up much nicer and criper. Does anyone know of a brand that comes in a much lighter color for stamping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I buy my tumbled tiles at home depot. You have to really go through the boxes because there are some that are nice and white with no cracks or craters in it and then there are darker tiles and some with a lot of craters in it. I use the ones with a lot of craters/cracks for when I make fishing coasters because then it could look like the sand and the bottom of the ocean. I also use STAZ-ON to stamp the image, heat set with the heating tool and then I use chalks to color in and then seal it with a sealant. HTH
SCS #10724
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I use glazed tiles, but I spray a Krylon brand product called "Workable Fixatiff" on them before stamping on them then I heat set in the oven and cool then spray with Krylon brand Matte finish. I have had no problems
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

One More thing I also use Versacraft (Fabrico) ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

What about lightly sanding the glazed tiles; just enough to rough up the surface so the ink would have something to grab to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #21  
r.
Kookie Creator

How do the StampinUp markers do on the tumbled tiles?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #22  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
Default tiles

I have used glazed tiles too, and this is what I did:
Heat them in the oven on a cookie sheet at about 325 (I heard various temps, but this was fine) for 15 minutes. (Some people said an hour, I think 15 mins. was enough.)
Then I mist them with a Krylon "Workable Fixative." If you mist them first, the sealant discolors in the oven.

Then I tell people I'm still not sure if they'll come off if they scrub.

What I would LOVE to do is - take several glazed tiles, do one of these techniques to each one, and then wash, rinse, scrub, and see which holds up the best. You know, a science experiment. I tried to talk my son into doing it but he thought I was nuts.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apache
What about lightly sanding the glazed tiles; just enough to rough up the surface so the ink would have something to grab to?
No, I'm pretty sure that glazed tiles would be ruined by sanding. The finish doesn't stand up to scratches well at all. I'm saying this as an interior designer! I guess this type of tile just wasn't meant for stamping.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Default Uggggh, stamping on tiles, ugggh!

I know it's been said already and it is the glazed tiles that is the problem. I used glazed tiles, tumbled tiles, dominoes, glass, mirrors and so much more that I stamp on that had a shiny surface. The first thing I do with any tile that seems to have a shiny finish on it is to sand it very lightly with a fine sand paper or even the polyshrink sanding blocks. I then clean the area with rubbing alcohol or stamp cleaner and let it dry a minute or two.
Then I stamp with my black staz-on....no other staz-on color seems to work. I heat set them with my heat gun....until the ink has a matte look to it. This takes a few minutes and I also place the item on a heavy piece of corrigated cardboard that I've covered with aluminum foil.
I then spray it from at least 12" away with Krylon Matte Finish....this is the only spray sealer I found that works.
I then color with stamp pads and blender pens, colored pencils (Not watercolor or pure color pencils, they will bleed) or sharpie markers. Then heat set it again and then spray it with the Krylon Matte Finish, make sure to hold the spray sealer at least 10" to 12" away from your project and it's better to do repeated light spray coats with the sealer than one heavy coat.
I've even taught 3rd and 5th grade kids how to do this and they didn't have any problems when they followed my directions.
HTH
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

OK, you all made me wonder so I had to go get my glazed coasters I made. I just went and scrubbed mine to death and they were fine. They didn't fade at all. This is how I made mine...

Stamped the image with Staz On. Heat set the outline with an embossing gun (when I used black). Then colored in with Sharpies. I then heat set that with the emboss gun. Then I baked them at about 300-325 (I can't remember now) for about 20 minutes. After they cooled completely I spayed two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic coating on them. I allowed them to dry between coats. This worked for me. THANK GOODNESS!!!!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Default ughh stamping on tiles

oh no-Igave lots out as gifts, too. thanks f/helpful hints. I DO think mine were too slick.

Reply With Quote Likes