Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on coffee mugs

Hi! This is my first post on SCS, but I've been around the site for quite a long time. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to stamp onto coffee mugs - is there anything special you have to do to make it stay? Is it possible? I have a few friends who have unusually spelled names that were complaining last night that all they ever wanted was to "have a mug with their name on it", so I thought I'd try to make them each one! If mugs don't work, maybe someone has another idea for a personalized item I could make? Thanks!
Steph
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

can you use stazon and an acrylic sealer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I went to a womens group February 2006. Great fun. But, anyway as a craft we did SU and we did them on tiles... It was so cool... You could pick from a number of stamp sets and make 4 coasters. Fist we used jet black stazon, stamped our image onto the middle of the ceramic tile, it was approximately 4X4 maybe 2X2. Then we heat set the image to make sure it was totally dry. We then colored it with the SU water color pencils and used blender pens to blend the color. Then we had cut outs of our image and so we place that over top of the image and used the french script stamp and carefully applied that as well. We let it sit for 24 hours or so and then we used a sealant. Can't remember the name exactly but it was like a shellack or varnish...

Now, the above is what I did. But, some of the ladies used versamark and the chalks and they turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!! But then I like the look that these two items give when used together. I think to make them last you just have to coat it with a varnish that is suitable.

I am new at this I've only been demonstrating since August I think... Took me since last December to you know take the plung. I hold a club once a month, and have tried to get some friends to have a house party for me, but no go so far, but I do have a full time job and 3 kids. So I am busy. AND we have great fun at our SU club night... WE all look forward to it, especially our December night. We are having a Christmas Party... I am getting way excited. Well my name is leslie and I am hoping that I helped out.

Almost forgot when our coasters were dry fromt he shellack we put 4 fuzzy sticky things to the bottom of them and took them home. I used grapes and wanted to put on some Bible verse but the Demonstrator at the time didn't have any such stamps present... But my last order which is enroute I bought God's Blessings, can't wait to try this craft idea with them it would be beautiful...

Have a great time with your mugs, you must be a great friend to make your friends wishes come true.

Sincerely,
Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I get fantastic results on tiles, but stamping on the rounded surface of a coffee mug looks less fabulous when I'm done.

I bought mugs kits for my kids to create for their grandparents for Christmas, but I'm wary of doing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

"Then we had cut outs of our image and so we place that over top of the image"

What do you mean by this? Also, how did you color onto ceramic? I wouldn't think that it would show up? Or was the tile textured? Like, if I just tried to color onto the side of a coffee mug, it wouldn't show up I don't think.

I'm not a demonstrator, and I've basically just made cards. I'm trying to get into scrapbooking, but it's so hard to find time, and I live in a tiny house, so space is very limited too.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I have had someone ask me about the mug thing also. I would love to hear if someone has even an idea of how to do this. Is there a way to stamp on paper and then adhear the paper to the mug?
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephipooh
"Then we had cut outs of our image and so we place that over top of the image"

What do you mean by this? Also, how did you color onto ceramic? I wouldn't think that it would show up? Or was the tile textured? Like, if I just tried to color onto the side of a coffee mug, it wouldn't show up I don't think.

I'm not a demonstrator, and I've basically just made cards. I'm trying to get into scrapbooking, but it's so hard to find time, and I live in a tiny house, so space is very limited too.

Thanks for the help!
Plain ink won't stay - it requires StazOn or Versamark & a secondary for color ( pastels, chalk, etc ). Theer are files on here for tiles - you use the same practice on mugs.

I just can't get my images to roll out accurately! LOL I just don't have the magic to stamp on a rolling surface - yet. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Hey stephipooh:
When I said we had a cut out. All we did was stamp the image on paper, cheap stuff (printer paper) and cut it out with sicissors. Then we placed it over the image on the tile, and stamped the french script stamp in stazon over top of our covered image.

As for the coloring, the tile wasn't textured really, it did have some flaws in them, where there were some cracks maybe but for the most part the tile itself was rather smooth. I think the reason it was easy to stamp on the tile than onto a mug is of course the rounded shape to the coffee mug itself and the only ideas I can come up with are to just practice rolling the stamps on a rounded surface... It is the only way. You can't be shaky when doing it or it smugges. But I am not the expert on coffee mugs but you gals are making me want to try them. Although they sound hard...
And for the coloring part, it was very easy to color the tile... We just used SUp's water color pencils and then blended them with a blender pen after... It worked very well indeed. I am just getting used to the idea of this forum for us gals, if anyone wants me to try to e-mail a scanned image of one of my coasters I'd love to do so. just e-mail me where to send it to.

Sincerely,

Leslie
sorry gotta go I am late for Biblestudy on my lunch hour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have never done this but, what about the paints that are made for glass and glazed ceramics that you can get at the craft stores? I am not positive but I think they may even have paint pens that you could use to write the names. (Hope I am thinking correctly here. It is 6:30 p.m. and I still have an hour and a half here at work) :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I have successfully stamped on a coffee mug with stazon, but found that it washes off after a couple times through the dish water. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=5enns]Hey stephipooh:
When I said we had a cut out. All we did was stamp the image on paper, cheap stuff (printer paper) and cut it out with sicissors. Then we placed it over the image on the tile, and stamped the french script stamp in stazon over top of our covered image.

This is called masking for those wanting to know the technical term. Sounds wonderful!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Kopka
I have successfully stamped on a coffee mug with stazon, but found that it washes off after a couple times through the dish water. Good Luck!

Did you treat it when you were done? I've heard of several methods used.. spray glaze and baking being the two most common.

My tile didn't run, but it hasn't been put through a dishwasher, either.

I *think* the markers that came with my mug kits are supposed to hold up to washings, but I don't know as of yet what they will do to my stamps. I suppose the best way to find out is to test it on a stamp that I have no concern with ruining, right? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

When I use a product on my stamps that I probably shouldn't, I ink it up with veramark first. I also try to do this on new stamps to keep them from staining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stamping on Coffee Mugs

Have you tried using the brayer? You know, like you would if you wanted to mirror an image (I think that it what it is called). Anyway, you would ink up your stamp, brayer over the stamp and then using the brayer, roll over the coffee mug. Sounds as if it would work. Will have to try it and see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Try this... ink your stamp up with Stazon ink, then turn your stamp upside down... so that the inked side is facing up.

Then (this is the magic) take your mug and roll it across the stamp! This way all you have to do is be steady with the mug instead of steady with the stamp!

Another idea - although I haven't tried it yet but now am inspired to is to use the mirror technique. Stamp on a piece of wax paper your image using Stazon and then take the wax paper and rub on the mug? This should work...

Marie
Ink on my fingers, scraps on my toes, I sparkle and glitter wherever I go!
Scrapware and gifts: www.cafepress.com/stampaloooza
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Default Mugs and Rub ons

I had some luck with using rub ons on mugs this year. It is just the luck of the draw. Some rub ons work well, and others are harder to use. You can buy rub on letters, or designs, rub them on the mug and spray with a Krylon spray, like Triple Thick. I hand wash the mugs carefully, rather than put them in the dishwasher.

I purchased mugs for under $1.00 at Wal Mart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stazon on a smooth surface will eventually wash off. I've used Stazon on Martini Glasses here. I used Pebeo glass medium to seal it--leaving enough "lip room"

If you are stamping on a mug, you will want to consider using products that are "food-safe". Personally I wouldn't use a spray acrylic on something that would be touching my mouth, such as a mug. I think it would work find for coasters, though.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

what type of product is food-safe to seal a project like this? I attempted to do the rub on mug in the Sale-A-Bration of this year (200 but can't find anything to seal it!! I"m so frustrated that they post such a thing and then I can't even use the cup afterwards!! What am I going to do with a decorative mug - empty like that.
Ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

This other thread talks about Modgepodge
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes