Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By stampin stacy
  • 1 Post By buddy'smama
  • 4 Post By papernut123
  • 1 Post By Phototaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Staining and stamping on ribbon

Do you stamp your ribbon? I came across a few places on Ebay that have tea stained seam binding ribbon with script on it and thought, gosh, I could do that! I love the seam binding and also plain old canvas natural toned ribbon...is it as easy as it sounds like it would be? I am going to go check You Tube but also thought I would ask here. Tips? Tricks? Best kind of ribbon to use? Standard Lipton tea bags? Fill me in...thanks in advance!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

I'd guess they are probably not using actual tea, although you can of course. They are probably using Distress re-inkers/stains. Your ribbon would probably be best if it is a cotton type, it will absorb the ink/stain better. One way to do it is to put in a plastic bag with the ink, scrunch it up, then lay out to dry. You can also speed the drying with a heat tool. I would imagine different types of tea would give you a different colour. You can then overstamp with a darker shade.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

FYI: Regular tea gives makes a yellowish color and coffee creates a beige color. Reinkers usually are a quicker option for darker colors since you don't have to do it several times in order to build up color to get that darker effect.

Also if your ribbon is not 100% cotton be careful with speeding up the dry time with a heat gun, many are made with materials that will shrink and/or melt. Cool effect if you want but not a happy moment if you weren't expecting it.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

Not with tea or coffee on ribbon, but I have use coffee on a table runner that I wanted to look antique. It turn out awesome.

I have used markers on white ribbon, if I needed it to match paper or cardstock better. That has always turn out good.
berlycece likes this post.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Crimping Master

I think I am going to do some experimenting this weekend. I watched a video where the person said to use black tea rather than regular everyday tea...and since I have some, I will use that. Plus, my ribbon will smell like raspberry vanilla so that's a plus

Thanks for the responses!!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Kookie Creator

If you use the hem tape (not seam binding), make sure it is nylon. I think Wrights make a nylon tape. It's hard to find though. Most of the stores just carry the lace hem tape.

If you try to dye polyester ribbon, be sure to test first. I tried using purple Dylusions alcohol ink on my ribbon and it turned a dull green when it dried. However, I have successfully used acrylic or fabric paint.

Tea (& coffee) dying is an old method of tinting. Again, it will only work on natural fibers, like cotton. But I'll bet stamping on ribbon with Stazon would work great. Haven't tried it.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

I use Hug Snug seam binding. Got it off the internet years ago so please don't ask what company I got it from. Just do a search. It is rayon and cheap. I got white and cream. Because it comes in 100 yd. spools it will last a long, long time. The good thing about it besides being cheap is that you can color it any color you want with your markers or re-inkers. It will match whatever color you have on your card and is easy to do.
blizlady, Louisa May, CraftyMel2 and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Inking Addict

I've dyed ribbon by simply pulling it through the old fashioned ink pads with the lids that just fold over and down. You should wear gloves and it may take a few times of pulling it through to get the color you want. Be sure to let it dry overnight, or your card will suck the ink onto the cardstock. I've also dyed white silk flowers by sponging ink on them. They, too, need to dry completely. I had a bad experience where the card was ruined because the flowers weren't completely dry.
CraftyMel2 likes this post.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototaker View Post
I've dyed ribbon by simply pulling it through the old fashioned ink pads with the lids that just fold over and down. .
I was thinking of that just the other day! Only difference was that I was going to put the ribbon between the ink pad and a stamp...using the stamp to hold it down and then just zip it through Sadly, I have not had the time to sit and play this week so my experimenting will have to wait! Thanks for the tips!!