Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-f11/)
-   -   How to make twisted scarves (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-f11/how-make-twisted-scarves-t563412.html)

scrappingjoy 10-29-2012 02:26 PM

How to make twisted scarves

One day while I wa at work, I was reading which I think was this site about someone(s) making scarves that twisted. Since I couldn't click on their links because work blocks all sites I didn't get to see how they were made. Does anyone know where I saw these? thanks.. I've searched high and low and still can't come up with them. Also I think they said that they bought the yarn at Michaels or Joanns.

lindylou1220 10-29-2012 02:51 PM

You must have caught the same bug that I did. Look on YouTube for instructions for Starbella yarn.

I bought some and I'm almost done with my first scarf. Mind you, I don't otherwise crochet and I can't knit a bit.

scrappingjoy 10-29-2012 02:53 PM

off to check it out. Thanks Linda

buggainok 10-29-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingjoy (Post 19788086)
One day while I wa at work, I was reading which I think was this site about someone(s) making scarves that twisted. Since I couldn't click on their links because work blocks all sites I didn't get to see how they were made. Does anyone know where I saw these? thanks.. I've searched high and low and still can't come up with them. Also I think they said that they bought the yarn at Michaels or Joanns.

I posted in the Christmas ideas thread about some spiral scarves I'm crocheting for Christmas gifts. Here is a link to the pattern I'm using. It is only chaining and then double crochet and is very easy to do. I'm just using regular acrylic yarn in different bright colors. I crochet quite a bit and I have some leftovers I can use also.

Dyeabolical®: Spiral Crochet Scarf Pattern

I've seen the Starbella ones, too, and they are cute. But the Starbella yarn is kind of pricey and I'm making many scarves, so could not spend that much.

felixdog 10-29-2012 04:30 PM

There is also this How to Wear a Spring Scarf | A Crafty House: Knitting and Crochet Patterns and Crafts and this Easy No Knit Spring Cowl Tutorial | A Crafty House: Knitting and Crochet Patterns and Crafts

Karen

scrappingjoy 10-29-2012 06:26 PM

Thanks you guys. Great ideas on scarves.

Angelnorth 10-30-2012 12:47 AM

Your thread title made me think of Möbius scarves. Maybe not what you had seen but a fun thing anyway and they're great for the math geek in your life!!

There's a great intro to the cast on here on YouTube and the same lady has a free pattern for a full scarf here. If you Google Mobius scarf you'll find lots of pictures of lovely examples, too.

If you're not failiar with the idea of a Möbius here's an explanation!

kinglake 10-30-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok (Post 19788270)
I posted in the Christmas ideas thread about some spiral scarves I'm crocheting for Christmas gifts. Here is a link to the pattern I'm using. It is only chaining and then double crochet and is very easy to do. I'm just using regular acrylic yarn in different bright colors. I crochet quite a bit and I have some leftovers I can use also.

Dyeabolical®: Spiral Crochet Scarf Pattern

I've seen the Starbella ones, too, and they are cute. But the Starbella yarn is kind of pricey and I'm making many scarves, so could not spend that much.

thanx for sharing the link. jo

scrappingjoy 10-30-2012 08:43 AM

I so appreciate all these ideas. So many to choose from. Love the ideas.

silverlightstar 10-30-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19789215)
Your thread title made me think of Möbius scarves. Maybe not what you had seen but a fun thing anyway and they're great for the math geek in your life!!

I also thought of a Möbius with this thread; great minds and all (Then again, I am a math geek...). :D

I do believe that the twisted scarves are mostly short rows; if I'm wrong, I apologize.

scrapbook4ever 12-05-2012 02:04 PM

Another one is called the Potato Chip scarf. You might google for directions.

cat_woman 12-06-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4ever (Post 19868412)
Another one is called the Potato Chip scarf. You might google for directions.

That's what I know them as too. I'm sick of knitting and crocheting right now. I just finished two sweathers and have a couple pair of socks & slippers to finish before the end of the week. :shock:

cbet 12-17-2012 06:09 AM

Ok, thanks for the info on the potato chip scarf - I googled and printed and I just started my 3rd one. I am far from an expert knitter, but I found them very easy to make. And while poking around the ravelry site where I found the pattern, I found a couple of other patterns in knit and crochet that I think I need to try.

This could turn out to be a repeat of the year I was knitting the fun fur scarves. I gave them to my mother, sisters-in-law, aunts, cousins -- they were kind of like zucchini squash. "Did she leave her car unlocked? Quick! Put a scarf in there!"

buggainok 12-17-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 19890198)
Ok, thanks for the info on the potato chip scarf - I googled and printed and I just started my 3rd one. I am far from an expert knitter, but I found them very easy to make. And while poking around the ravelry site where I found the pattern, I found a couple of other patterns in knit and crochet that I think I need to try.

This could turn out to be a repeat of the year I was knitting the fun fur scarves. I gave them to my mother, sisters-in-law, aunts, cousins -- they were kind of like zucchini squash. "Did she leave her car unlocked? Quick! Put a scarf in there!"

Funny!:) I made a bunch of the fun fur scarves a couple of years ago, too, and gave them to everybody I could think of.