Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face new stamper making wedding invitations

Hello everyone...
First of all I want to thank everyone for all the inspiration and techniques I find here everyday. What a wonderful group of generous individuals make up this web site.

Now for my question...

I am a...uhhh...errrr..mature bride to be. My wedding is October 21 and I am making my inviations. Thanks to a very creative family member, I was able to CASE an design from an graduation invitation. The card itself is navy blue and made of 1/2 sheet of CS. The inside is printed and ready to be cut and glued in place. The front of the card consists of white cs, stamped and matted on orange cs then adhered to the card. I'm putting a blue ribbion and a 'love' trinket' on the white cs.

What ideas and techniques do you use when doing 'bulk' stamping and assembly? Any particular adhesive or method of applying adhesive work better than others?

Thanking everyone in advance for your thoughts and for all that I learn and see on the SCS.

Sincerely,
Mary
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Smile

HI Mary - I actually just finished making and sending my own invites so I feel your pain... LOL Actually, it really did not take too long. I ordered the text part to be printed on nice white paper, but you can easily do the same if you don't want/"need" it to be engraved.

Then I cut all the paper to the size I wanted to use; I think that is the key to an assembly line approach...

My invites are 6x6 squares of red heart embossed cardstock, layered with black corrugated paper (eyelet in each corner to attach) then invite in white and a square of white vellum stamped with 2 hearts on top (attached to invite with white brad) and white ribbon bow on top - all told it took abt 30-45 mins to stamp all the top layer and probably abt 5 misn to assemble each one. the look was exactly what i had in mind and not something I've seen anywhere else so i was happy with that.

I used double stick tape to adhere layers together, the regular adhesive i use for cards didn't hold the heavier layers together as well. I found a great deal on the tape at a dollar store - $0.99 a roll for the scotch brand.

good luck - HTH!! would love to see what you come up with - yuko
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I made my Mom's wedding invitations last summer. It was a lot of work, but I had fun with it. What worked for me was setting up an assembly line. I would cut all pieces, stamp all pieces, adhere, then apply ribbon. I also tried to do 10 or so in a sitting, got up to do something else for a little while before I went back to it. This helped it to not become too repetitive which helped keep my work from getting sloppy!

Have fun with it!
p.s. if you CASE me, I am flattered! Thank you very much!
Session 2... Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Can you punch a hole so the hole assembly is held together with the ribbon?
so your layer is navy orange white with two holes in each (matched )
you make a template or jig so the pieces line up to get the holes right
then you can do a tied bow including the charm
or a fake bow which lies flat and then tying on the charm in a separate step

This ribbon attachment saves the adhesive altogether
Try one with scrap paper to see what i mean

the holes are punched thru all three layers at once
or you might find an adjustable three hole punch that can be adjusted to only do two holes at a time which would be even better

we say wise bride or grown bride
or bride who knows her mind
or just "getting married " and CONGRATULATIONS btw
they sound lovely
hope you will be able to scan one for us
Assembly line is the way to go
and some HELPERS
to make the work go faster
it is not so bad with some friends to help out
save all scraps and trimmings for thank you cards (or start punching snow flakes for your christmas card/new address cards

betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Default Thank you...

everyone for all the great suggestions. I couldn't wait to wake up this morning and log on to see what tips I'd find. Betsy, my groom would agree with the term 'bride who knows her own mind'. LOL I'm going shopping for double sided tape and setting up my assembly line this weekend. I had decided to do just so many a day and not get frustrated. My plan is to have the invites done by August 1 and out a month later. My groom is a long time Chicago Bears fan and as a result our colors are their colors, orange and blue. After the invites I start the three flower girl/granddaughter's dresses and the three ring bearer/grandson's vests! I am so blessed! Thank you all for your help! I will scan one of the invites in when I get them done. (Will probably need help with that too!!! )

Thanks again everyone,
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good luck Mary. You will do great.
Just want you to know I'm a little more Sr. than you. You go girl!

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I just finished 60 of the two different wedding announcements I made. I did them in steps and worked on them in little intervals
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Location: In my new "Ink Spot" which happens to be in Olathe KS!

I spent 6 days(4-5 hrs a day) working on Wedding invites(see my gallery for Pederson invites) Lucky I had enough time to do them over Christmas & new Yrs long weekends! I did the assembly line way! I stamped & embossed all the cardstock, cut it to size, the taped the info(where when who ect), trimmed edges, then ribbon.....

my other hobby www.puhakphotography.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I have to agree with some of the others here.. I just recently made 75 invites for my cousins wedding. I did them peice by peice. FOr example I cut all the CS at the same time, I mounted all at the same time. I found that if I had an hour of time to spare I would do only one aspect of the project. Once all the peices were done putting it together was really simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

btw, I used mono multi adhesive on mine and they held up so wonderfully though the mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Default Help!

We are making a program for my daughter's wedding. We are layering vellum over cardstock then punching two holes at the top and threading ribbon and a charm through the holes. We are doing our own printing on the vellum (using our printer.) How do I make a template so that the holes match up? Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this whole project simple. I would really appreciate the help. We have to make 300! It seems if we use a three hole punch, or even a two hole punch, it puts the holes too far down on the paper. We have to have them very close to the top to fit all the wording of the program in. Again, thanks for any suggestions.
Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Location: The Beautiful Eastside (of Lake WA), Washington State

sounds like what i did for my older brothers wedding invitations...but the printer person messed up the printing on them...it was centered but at bottom of invite...horrible. I used a whole puncher at the top to put the ribbon through, but really it was too big...so either should have used a smaller hole or better yet, a slit punch. Its hard to say without seeing the invitation. Practice on one before you possibly ruin the rest of them. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default wedding invites

I would think that the small double hole punch would be ideal...not sure of the ribbon that you are using but I have done similar cards/programs and that punch is great. The SU small punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey MsMush! Welcome to the world of wedding invites! A dear, dear friend asked me to do hers and I was/am also a rookie. Things we did/learned: We loved the shimmery look of Stardream paper (has envies to match) and after pricing it around, ordered through Anchor Paper --they were wonderful, cut pieces to our needs. We made sure our invite would fit into an envelope (WAY important piece to consider!). We went with a deep dark blue outer shell and an off-white inner piece. In using Stardream paper, we learned that: Even having a printer print the text, after the mail service got through with it, the ink wasn't exactly where we wanted it to be (I think the shimmer surface just doesn't keep the ink like other paper does). The only adhesive that really did the job was the gorrilla-type glue and that was a bit tricky not to get too much or too little. (I didn't try the ATC gun and wished I had).

We did things assembly-line style and had a "construction party" at the end with good friends of the bride (that was a blast!), so the whole process was not too cumbersome and a lot of fun. PM me if you think I might be able to help, but again, I'm a real rookie! Have a wonderful time with this and congrats!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Our "jig" was a carefully measured piece of heavy cardboard( I guess you could use chip board) To get the holes where we needed them to be. Our ribbon was wide enough to cover up any slight "Handmade " variations.

Good luck!
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Guess what? I found a double rectangle hole punch at Michaels by McGill and it actually cuts through 2 pieces of cardstock with no problem at all. I'm so excited. Thanks for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi, I did 100 invites for my mom, I had everything cut and the layers pre assembled, then invited helpers, I had two experienced cardmakers for the assembly, and had four people putting the double stick tape on. The tapers would supply the assemblers, we had them done in 45 minutes! Good luck, the group was very proud with the outcome and my mom (a taper) was thrilled. Good luck, Peggy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Mary,
I would love to see your finished product when you are done with it. I was asked to do wedding invites for my niece's wedding and don't have a clue what I am doing and even how to go about it. Sounds like you already have ideas on what you are going to do. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

hi all, i'm still relatively new to the forums. how do you see someone's gallers? i clicked on jenn's username but didn't see a link to her gallery.... =(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandblossomView Post
hi all, i'm still relatively new to the forums. how do you see someone's gallers? i clicked on jenn's username but didn't see a link to her gallery.... =(
When you go click on her name to the left, you get a drop down menu which includes a link to her gallery
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

FANTASTIC, thank you so much Diane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #22  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great suggestions and all the card ideas sound lovely. The only thing I can think to add (and I may have overlooked it) is to score your cardstock before cutting.

When making standard cards (4.25 x 5.50) by making a longer score (the entire 8.50 x 11.00 sheet) you only need to score once to get two "scored" cards (after cutting).

If you cut first, you will need to score each half of the full sheet which takes much longer.

HTH and congratulations to the OP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the middle of making these invites, thank you's, place cards and order of service sheets for a wedding (it's our wedding gift to the couple - they paid for the supplies but I'm making them for free). I wish they'd kept it more simple ...! LOL The words on the inside are in red printed on the sand colored paper. Now that I've got all the words saved in the right place for the Cuttlebug embossing it should be an easier task. They don't know it yet, but I'm giving them the job of threading and knotting all the little ribbon bits on everything! That's the worst part. Anyway, I would advise cutting and scoring all your pieces first and then set up an assembly line. I try to do about 10 at a sitting and then go off and do something else otherwise I get bored and hurry and then they turn out messy! Congratulations on your wedding, and please post a pic of your invitations when you're done. Would love to see them. (Link to larger pic in my gallery below).
Wedding set by Tilly at Splitcoaststampers
Attached Thumbnails
new stamper making wedding invitations-invite.jpg  
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes