Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini alphabet stamps

I purchased sets of mini alphabet stamps at my local Wal-Mart. I thought they would be great for adding script to my cards. However, I am finding it difficult to line the stamps up properly, especially for long words like "anniversary". These are on wooden blocks, so I can't see through to align them like I do with my clear stamps. In desperation, I laid down a wide strip of painter's tape, sticky side up. I lined up my stamps on it, then wrapped the excess back around the stamps to totally enclose them. This worked fairly well for short words, but was not rigid enough for the long words. Next time I am going to try to add a small strip of wood and see if it works better.
I would really appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has found a better way to use these stamps. Thank you so much
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too busy ladyView Post
I purchased sets of mini alphabet stamps at my local Wal-Mart. I thought they would be great for adding script to my cards. However, I am finding it difficult to line the stamps up properly, especially for long words like "anniversary". These are on wooden blocks, so I can't see through to align them like I do with my clear stamps. In desperation, I laid down a wide strip of painter's tape, sticky side up. I lined up my stamps on it, then wrapped the excess back around the stamps to totally enclose them. This worked fairly well for short words, but was not rigid enough for the long words. Next time I am going to try to add a small strip of wood and see if it works better.
I would really appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has found a better way to use these stamps. Thank you so much
I finally found a set of tiny clear alphabet stamps. Before that I had some wooden mounted ones like you. I had fits trying to line them up right. I usually just went for the "I did this on purpose" wonky alignment, but wasn't too happy with it.

I was on the hunt for a long time for some clear ones, but you know, after I got them, I've hardly used them...I think they are trouble to align, even though they are clear, and my block has a grid line.

Now, I use my printer to print sentiments that I don't have a stamp for, then cut it out, mat it with my nesties and call it good!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

What if you laid the word down with the letters on their side, and taped around the wood blocks to hold them in place? Stamp all at once?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Thanks...that is what I did. It worked well for short words, but with longer words, it was still hard to keep in a straight line. I work tomorrow, but then will have a few days off and I plan to experiment more.
I appreciate your help.
I will post an update if I can find a way that I am happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a ruler or dowel and tape it with the lined up letters?

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Do you have a 12" wooden ruler?...Add a line of double sided tape (mine is almost 2" wide) and then your wood stamps will stick to the tape and you can spell out your words...If I need a space between words, I turn the stamp upside down to leave it blank...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Karen,
That sounds like a fantastic idea. I will try it when I get a chance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Another thing to consider is if the stamps are aligned on their blocks evenly. I had one set where the O and U weren't centered. They really messed up the placement when stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thanks....I will check that out as well. I just got them, so haven't used them that much yet...especially since it was difficult getting the spacing and alignment right. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't know if they can still be found but I purchased some Karen Foster Snap Stamps several years back. Those work great since they hook together. I don't think they're made any longer but perhaps they can be found on the usual sites.

The ones I have are pretty small.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
I don't know if they can still be found but I purchased some Karen Foster Snap Stamps several years back. Those work great since they hook together. I don't think they're made any longer but perhaps they can be found on the usual sites.

The ones I have are pretty small.
Unfortunately they don't make the anymore and I have tried EVERYWHERE to get them. They do seem like they would work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Making Memories used to have several magnetic stamps sets. Here is the base: Making Memories Magnetic Stamp Base Set

Here are the sets: Making memories magnetic stamps - TheFind

The theory was nice: take individual letters or words on rubber backing and mount them on a magnetic sheet instead of wooden blocks. Place them on a metal magnetic bar and stamp away...

However, there is too much room from the top & bottom of the letter/word to the magnetic bar. Even centering them, they moved and got skewed. Too bad, it was a nice idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

How about a rubber band holding the stamps together. It seems it would hold tighter than tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a cool tool from G-Rated Stamps - The Bar

It a like a ruler with measurements that allow you to align your stamped images. I've had mine for years and really like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got quite a few of the sets of mini alphas and I either go for the 'deliberately wonky' look or I stamp inddividual letters and punch or die cut them out.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Why don't you try using a Stampa-ma-jig? It would be a little more time-consuming, but you would know your letters would be lined up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have unmounted all of my wooden stamps and then use TackNPeel on my acrylic blocks. You line up the unmounted letters and stick them onto your block. The letters become more like an acrylic stamp.... not see through, but you can usually see pretty well where it will stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone posted on Pinterest a picture of their little letter stamps rubber banded together to spell a word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I bought a set of clear alphabets--upper and lower case--and numbers set for this very reason, but had so much trouble getting them straight and to stay on, so I gave them away. I have several on wooden blocks which I prefer. I first make sure the stamp is lined up the same way on each block. Then, even stamping "Blink" is not too hard, as I line up the block with a light pencil line that I can erase later. I have tried the "all at one time" thing, too and it is difficult with long words, especially if the letters are small. In addition to taping around the series. you might want to use a glue dot between each block as well. I am in the process of designing a jig my hubby can build with an adjustable slot for the blocks that can be tightened snuggly for stamping. Am interested in The Bar that StampHappy mentioned, but can't quite figure out what it is all about from the picture. Will look into that, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

If you choose to go the clear stamp route, make sure that the set you buy is designed specifically for ease of lining up. (My first alpha sets were not, and I don't use them even though I like the font.) The backing of the stamp needs to be square along the bottom as do the sides so they line up properly, and the backing needs to be just the right size for the letter- not bigger on one side than another, etc. The description of some currently available alpha sets, like those at Clear & Simple Stamps, state they are designed to easily line up.

I line up my clear photopolymer stamps face down, let them rest/relax a moment to control stretch that may have occurred as I pulled them off the backing sheet, then put a grid-lined acrylic block over the back, press along the block to insure adhesion, and lift- they should be aligned properly. (If they fall off you may need to rinse them to restore their natural stick.) This method really helps if any of your stamps are long and skinny- prevents stretch that might occur if you attach them individually to your block by hand. If a letter is needed more than once, I move it from the first spot and place in the second, then add the next letters, etc., and stamp. I then go back and stamp individual repeated letters that were missing.

Another thing to consider when stamping individual letters is the spacing between, called kerning. It is more pleasing to the eye when the spacing between letters is proportional and some letters sort of tuck up next to others. A capital 'W' and 'A' next to each other are good examples of a need for kerning- see the examples at wikipedia.org. For this reason I was unhappy with wood block letters being arranged side-by-side to stamp as one- no kerning. It's also the reason I usually prefer to stamp letters individually with clear stamps along a light pencil line, so that I can control the spacing. Often, instead of a pencil line, I use a post-it to make my line and prevent smudges, but post-its don't work if any letters have an extender going below the line.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

If you use the stamp a ma jig.........you can stamp the letters on cardstock vellum and store with the stamps..........always ready to position
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joykView Post
If you use the stamp a ma jig.........you can stamp the letters on cardstock vellum and store with the stamps..........always ready to position
My Stampa-ma-jig is my best friend, I use it with all my stamps, wood mounted, unmounted and acrylic. Years ago I used another sort of stamp position-er but it was more cumbersome, the moment I got my Stampa-ma-jig I fell in loove.

I use vellum to stamp the image for positioning and if the stamp is permanently wood mounted I save the vellum image but if the stamps are acrylic or unmounted then I just through the bit of vellum away.

You can't guaranty that the stamp will be positioned on the acrylic block in exactly the same position.

I have two sets of SU wood mounted mini alphabets and numbers that I use regularly, and one set of acrylic mini alphabets that I have never used!!

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I think I have one of the older stamp positioners, but I still love it. Since I have all wood-mounts, it is really handy for all sorts of things. Having a vellum position piece for every letter of every set of alphabets, seems rather cumbersome for long words, but I'm willing to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I use JustRite stamps. Kerning is still an issue but I trim the letters and adjust the placement until I like the look. They aren't making them any more but they haven't been off the market long so some shops might still have them or they should be available on eBay etc.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some little tiny letter stamps (the only ones left on wood mounts) that I stamped on acetate with Stazon and I use them with my stamp-a-ma-jig. I keep the acetate sheets with the stamps so I have it handy. Its about the only time I use the SAMJ now and wood mounted stamps. I actually had to unmount some rubber stamps and remount them on wood blocks. They are a really cute alpha, but they were on round peg like blocks - totally useless with the SAMJ and I couldn't line them up worth beans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

After reading all the comments, I think that I would try this: I would use a stirring coffee stick. 7-11 has the flat wood kind for customers to use to stir their coffee. They are not very wide, and about 6 inches long. I think you could try one, and if it worked, invest in a box of them.

Emilee See
Reply With Quote Likes