Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have you ever stamped on your wall with craft ink?

I've heard of people doing this, and would like to try it, but I need more input first I think. so if you've ever tried this I'd love to know if you had to do anything special to the wall b-4 you stamp it, and if you had to seal the images after stamping them? also does the craft ink ever really dry on a wall? I've heard both answers, so if you have experience I'd love to hear how it went, and how long it's held up. pictures would be great! thanks
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stamping on the wall

I have tried this. It was not a success due to the fact the wall was tooo textured. I have seen some that had a rustic look and it looked great. My image needed to be clear and defined so unforunately for me it did not work. Good luck and happy stamping!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 03:58 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I admire your courage...I would be too scared to stamp on the walls...I've gotten good about it's okay to throw out paper...but how could I throw out my wall!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I have stamped an entire bathroom with the Tender Toile so it looked like wall paper. I used acryllic paint with a foam brush. Brush the paint onto the stamp with the foam brush, then stamp the wall. The wall does need to be flat with no texturing. I tried it in my daughter's room that had some texture. After stamping, I had to go and paint in the image. It was a lot of work.

I didn't seal it after painting. This was a bathroom at my friend's business. She moved shortly after so I have no pictures! It looked good for the time that she was there, but I don't know how long it would last.

If you are daring, I would try stamping on the wall with your craft pad. If you don't like it just prime over it. I am all for experimenting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Sounds wonderful...would have loved to see the pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I have asked others for similar advice, and here's what I was told:

The craft pads are WAY easier to use than acrylic paints. If you don't get a complete image when you stamp, you can go back and fill in with a stipple brush. Unfortunately my walls are about Not Quite Navy colored, so I think I'm better off using acrylic paint. (I think the acrylic paint would be more opaque than the craft pads anyway.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I tried the craft ink on my bedroom walls (completely flat - no texture) and was not really happy with it. :?

Ended up at Wal-Mart for some cheap acrylic paints and it came out beautifully! Basically, we copied the DD Bold Butterfly from the catalog and it was so fun and easy. Much easier than actually paining the walls, and the nice thing is that if you make a mistake, you can immediately wipe it off with a damp wash cloth and it completely disappears. Well, until it dries, anyway...

Oh, we applied the acrylic paint with the sponge brushed to my stamps and it worked fine.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Group Leader

I have done loads of wall stamping but always with acrylic paints...my first ever wall stamping was on a room for our County Commissioner! I had never done it before and that was where I started. I did have the foresight to plan my design on a piece of poster board. I just did a border in my friend's dining room with a retired set...can't think of the name but it was all vines and leaves, with a few berries. It looks like a Waverly print!!! I mixed several colors on the leaves so that it would match the fabric she had in there.

Don't fear, you can wipe it off while it is still wet so if you smear or slip just have a rag handy...i messed up plenty of times but found it extremely forgiving. I would think the paints would dry faster than the Craft Pads. Plus you can do what I did and mix colors on the same stamps.

Have you checked the SU website to see if there could be used that way?

I will take a photo and upload it when I can.

Laurel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:25 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so glad that someone posted this b/c I am about to my daughter's room. I was just going to use the acrylic paint and since you say it works fine that is what I will go with. Thanks ladies!!

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just make sure to masking tape your wooden block before you use the acrylic paints, unless you don't care about the block getting paint on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Laurel, can't wait to see what you upload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #12  
Duchess of Dork

Yes, I've tried & I have one word: DON'T!!!! The SU craft paint took over a week to dry (in a bathroom), the store bought pigment never fully dried. I finally just wiped off what wasn't dry.

To use acrylic paint (I didn't want to use it b/c I didn't want to paint it on the stamp, etc.) use the advice someone here shared with me: put your acrylic paint on a scrap piece of felt. If you don't have any, go buy a square of felt for under 25 cents---it's worth it. This becomes your stamp pad. It works JUST like a stamp pad & makes your stamping go really fast. I SO wish I had found that out before trying the craft pads. My SU demo tried to warn me, but I didn't know the felt technique.

Oh, whatever you do, don't try classic pads! Yes, I tried it just to see. it ran down the wall the first time we turned on the shower!

Hope this helps!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Thank you ladies! I'll try the felt pad thing! so did you just use one layer of felt, or was it doubled over? and how much paint did you put on the felt? was it rather saturated, or just a little?
thanks again! what a friendly group! I'm so glad i finally joined.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 01:50 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm wondering if you could use a paint pad (used for trimming) for your stamp pad?
Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 03:12 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a freind that uses either clear nail polish or poly on all of her stamps before she puts the rubber on so that she can clean them better.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 04:01 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok cool ideas! Love the masking tape on the stamp and the felt idea.

Thanks bunches!!
Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 06:13 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had many people ask me about my stamped walls, tell me that the craft pads didn't work for them and wonder how I did mine. I used acrylic craft paint ! I don't even own any of the craft pads, just use my acrylics and felt procedure for any craft stamping I do. Practice on matboard that you've basecoated to match your wall color (I recommend keeping it in an uprght postion so you get the feel for vertical stamping, possible slipping of the stamp), laying out the design and colors. Lightly draw guidelines and mask off what you want stamped where (you can use large plates, platters, etc for rounded guidelines). Put a large enough dab of paint on a piece of felt to accomodate the image size. I use a single layer of felt on an old plastic lid (what I had on hand the first time I tried stamping with paint on something and it worked great for me, but I imagine anything that will hold paint like an ink pad such as old sweathsirts or layers of paper towels, even the paint trimming pad that was mentioned, will work). Make it just "painty" enough, not too sticky wet or it can gunk up your stamp / image more. You'll need to add more paint to your "pad" as it dries out, otherwise you won't get good coverage. Keep several damp rags neaby at all times for wiping mistakes (they really do disappear if wiped right away off of a smooth, semi-gloss painted wall!) and to clean your stamp, it will get gunky with the quick drying craft paint (and it is a lot of fun trying to get all the dried paint out of all the crevices of your stamps when you are finished). You can mix colors on the stamps by using foam brushes or on the felt (think spectrum pad!). It may seem intimidating, but it really isn't - it's only paint ! Sure, repainting a wall is not fun if you don't like what you've stamped (start in a small area first, keep damp rags nearby) but you can repaint over it if you don't like it and it is dry ! Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I do seal my wood blocks first but when I did my bedroom wall (I'm attaching a photo, a couple others can be seen at my websites) , I didn't even use the large vine stamp mounted - it was easier for me to line it up and keep my horizontal border pattern more accurate by using only the trimmed rubber, giving me a guide "notch" where one of the leaves were to keep it in line with the masked off quideline. Sorry to have rambled, but I like to share how easy it really is to stamp walls, furniture, etc ! I'd love to see more photos of stamped walls, please share

Terra5's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Attached Thumbnails
have you ever stamped on your wall with craft ink?-dresserwall2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Group Leader

I use the felt pad idea to use food colors on cookies and I hadn't thought of doing this with it but you will see that I add other colors. One of the pictures is blurry but you will see that on one leaf stamp I add a number of colors.
I do that directly with the spong brush on the stamp before stamping it.
Laurel
Attached Thumbnails
have you ever stamped on your wall with craft ink?-border_blurry.jpg   have you ever stamped on your wall with craft ink?-stamped_border.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

beautiful! is this done with fine vine? I want to use that set in my living room, or kitchen, but I'm too chicken and indecisive to pick colors or a patern. this looks great though! thanks for sharing.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2005, 07:47 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Just wondering... how do you continue the pattern through the inside corner of the walls? I can't "cut" my stamps to fit or stamp off the end like I can on paper. And I sure don't want my pattern to be crammed to fit and end abruptly to fit the wall. This is the only thing holding me back from stamping on walls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Yes I did...when Iwas very young...I got a spanking!
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes