Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flocking Help!

hey y'all.... I'm kinda new and don't post much (mostly just cruise the boards and soak up the wisdom), but I do have a question now...

recently got the tsukineko glue pad, and then proceeded to buy (every ) color of flocking powder - I got the stampendous fun flock.

here's the problem (I think)... when I went to sprinkle the flocking powder onto my freshly stamped gluey image, the "powder" seemed to come out clumpy, not the sort of fine fuzz that I expected. I tried to sort of "undue" the clumps by rubbing them with my fingers, but it just seemed to get clumpier. and then it stuck to my image in a clumpy sort of way, too... my poor birdie looked half-plucked!!!!

anyway, not sure if that's just the way it is, or if I got a bad batch, or if there is some technique I'm missing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (I'm up to my eyeballs in flock....)

thanks so much

- Elizabeth (in MA, who's too lazy to post to the gallery or create a siggy line)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Flocking can be kind of clumpy. I usually just put glue where I want the flock to stick, then shake off the excess and it's fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

First that title sounds a bit...funny. Second I have flock I haven't used, so I'm very glad you are asking a question that might have come up when I finally did break open the container.

I wonder if you could use a shaker top to help break up the fuzzies before they hit the glue? An old, clean, spice jar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by penzilla
First that title sounds a bit...funny. Second I have flock I haven't used, so I'm very glad you are asking a question that might have come up when I finally did break open the container.

I wonder if you could use a shaker top to help break up the fuzzies before they hit the glue? An old, clean, spice jar.
ooooo that's a good idea.... i have some extras from a failed spice organization project a while back. i'll post here if I have time to try it...

anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Hi, I've used flock with good results. I used a paintbrush to put the glue where I wanted it. I used my fingers to sprinkle the flock on, patted it down gently and then tapped the excess off. I've done bears, sheep and ducks.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had no luck using the glue pad and the flock sticking. I have tried to heat it more than the time called for but, it still does not stick. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this to stick please let me know!! Thanks so much.
Tracy
in OH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I stamp the image first with versamark ink, then pour heat and stick powder over it (from Stampin' Up), tap off excess, then heat it with your heat gun. Once it's heated it's sticky and then I pour on the Flock powder and tap of excess and re-heat quckly. So far it's worked well!
Sometimes I also mix a bit of flock in with my embossing powder and then emboss with the heat gun. This works OK but I find it doesn't get as "fuzzy".
Hope this helps!
Jackie

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=99087
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I have used the glue pad and the glue pen and the glossy accents and they all worked well.

The fun flock is a bit lumpy, but it smushed it up before dumping it on the image. I use a large amount and then press down, then dump the excess. That works the best, if you try to use just a little that won't work.

I also have mixed in glitter and it looks great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've flocked quite a few cards (that does sound really funny) and its always turned out really cute. I just use regular liquid glue. I speard it around with a toothpick and then pour the flock over it. I tap off the excess and just let it dry. It will be raised and not fully covered when wet but when its dry it will flatten and fill nicely. I'm in the process of doing this right now with my Christmas cards. I'm making all the snowman mittens warm and fuzzy looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

hum... I have having no lock with fun flock as well. I have the tsuniko Glue pad...but is not working well for me. At Archivers the lady told me to just sprinkle the flock on to pigment ink and let it dry... but I haven't tried it because I think that sounds just nuts. I will try the heat and stick however... that makes sense to me. I really want a nice bold covering!

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 AM   #11  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for this info!! I too have a lot of flocking powder , and the tsunekio glue pad, but have never opened or tried my flocking powder. I just assumed it would be no big deal when I opened it.. but I am learning differently reading this! Thanks a lot !! Any more help would be wonderful. I am going to copy and paste what is here for my own info! Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

This sounds interesting. Does anyone have a photo of a completed project in their gallery to see??? And where do you buy this Fun Flock???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default flocking

I just bought some at a craft show over the weekend. I just use regular Elmer's. Put the glue down where I want, then I take tweezers to lift and place the flock. Have had good results with that. If it is filled enough, put a little more glue and reflock. Love the stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the SU! 2-way glue pen, then sprinkle the flocking over the top. Pat it down a bit with my fingers, then shake off the excess. Perfect every time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I was just going to ask a flocking question, but they have been answered here! Thanks ladies! I am going to try wolf prints in snow.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikobeanView Post
hey y'all.... I'm kinda new and don't post much (mostly just cruise the boards and soak up the wisdom), but I do have a question now...

recently got the tsukineko glue pad, and then proceeded to buy (every ) color of flocking powder - I got the stampendous fun flock.

here's the problem (I think)... when I went to sprinkle the flocking powder onto my freshly stamped gluey image, the "powder" seemed to come out clumpy, not the sort of fine fuzz that I expected. I tried to sort of "undue" the clumps by rubbing them with my fingers, but it just seemed to get clumpier. and then it stuck to my image in a clumpy sort of way, too... my poor birdie looked half-plucked!!!!

anyway, not sure if that's just the way it is, or if I got a bad batch, or if there is some technique I'm missing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (I'm up to my eyeballs in flock....)

thanks so much

- Elizabeth (in MA, who's too lazy to post to the gallery or create a siggy line)
Sounds as though the flock has absorbed moisture (humidity, cooking, showers, etc.). Next time you buy vitamins or shoes, stick that silica packet (unopened) from the bottle or box into the container of flock. It also helps if you shake the container of flock before opening it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was just at Archivers this past weekend where I had the sales associates demonstrate for me the different results you get adhering Fun Flock with different adhesives. I found the results to be QUITE surprising!

The Glue Pad did not work well AT ALL. The image coverage was inconsistent, so therefore the flocking was inconsistent - kinda like how you described the flock being "lumpy". Even as the sales associate rubbed and patted the flocking into the adhesive, once she brushed the excess away, there were bald spots where the flocking did not stick at all! not only that, but th eedges of teh image were fuzzy and inconsistent as well.

The heat -n- stick powder she used (I'm not sure if it was Stampendous brand or A*Muse brand) also didn't work too well. Even when she tried reheating the adhesive carefully by heating from underneath, the flocking either melted into the hot adhesive (resulting in a not-so-fuzzy image anymore), or just plain didn't adhere at all... flying off as she brushed off the excess.

The one item that DID work, and worked absolutely BEAUTIFULLY, was the Zig 2-Way glue Pen (small chisel tip). After stamping the image, she very carefully "colored in" the image with her glue pen, and even suggested using the Quickie Glue Pen for those really detailed areas. Then she applied the flock and patted it in, just like she had done with all the others. The flock adhered REALLY well, and the coverage was AWESOME! No bald spots. :mrgreen: The edges of the flocked image were also nice and crisp, not fuzzy looking, which was what I expected. Over all, I was blown away by the results of the glue pen, and would highly recommend it. Sorry to be so wordy, but I hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default What I use for glue

Bo-Nash Tonertex foiling pen. I have not posted here long enough to post a link yet so you will have to google it.

This is an awesome adhesive. It stays tacky until you put something on top of it. It works like a pen. I "Write" the adhesive where I want it and then wait for it to turn clear that is how you know it is ready (it will come out white and dry clear) then I pour my fun flock on it and tap the flock onto the tacky part and remove excess with a flick like you do embossing powder. The only other place I have found this besides on line is in a CTMH catty. I am not a demo for CTMH my cousin had a show and I looked at the catty and it was in there.

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Red face Flock

I just bought some flock for the first time and am sooo glad I read this before I tried using it. There is so much to learn on these boards. Thanks for all the info. I bought some pretty colors...hot pink, lime green, white, and bright blue. I was hoping to make some pretty Easter Cards with them after I get my Christmas cards done. Whenever that will be. LOL....Happy Flocking ! Beckaroni :-D

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just want to extend the invite...

I've started a card swap for flocking... Check it out!

Flock O' Fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Default another idea

I use my flocking powder when it seems to be appropriate for the image. On my earlier attempts, I used a "white" glue, "Tombow Multi". Over a few weeks, the white flocking yellowed with the glue.

Now, I choose between two "clear" options, depending on the image:
  • Either a 'clear' adhesive, such as "Ranger Glossy Accents" or "Zip Dry" glue.
  • Or
  • Heat & Stick Powder, which is also a "clear" adhesive when heated.
And the "clumps" mentioned? That occurs when we simply shake from the original container without prepping the flock. One method of achieving a "fluffy flock" is to:
  • Use a toothpick or something thin & long to stir up the top portion of the flock bottle's contents.
  • Next, pinch some of the flock between your fingers, move over the clear adhesive, and "sprinkle" from your pinched fingers by rubbing thumb & finger together.
This works for me. Perhaps it will work for someone else. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I've used a lot of flocking - both Stampendous and Doodlebug - and both work well. The best way to adhere it is to use ZIG Two-way glue or doublesided tape foil (can be used with Cuttlebug and Sizzix/Ellison dies). I use a stippler brush, put it down in the jar to gather some velvet and then stipple it on the glue/tape, adding more as I work. That way it doesn't get flocky. When I'm finished I take a piece of wax paper (like the strips glue dots come on) and gently rub to have the velvet adhere better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

i sprinkle it onto the glue, patt it down with my fingers, then tap off the excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I use my flocking powder when it seems to be appropriate for the image. On my earlier attempts, I used a "white" glue, "Tombow Multi". Over a few weeks, the white flocking yellowed with the glue.

Now, I choose between two "clear" options, depending on the image:
  • Either a 'clear' adhesive, such as "Ranger Glossy Accents" or "Zip Dry" glue.
  • Or
  • Heat & Stick Powder, which is also a "clear" adhesive when heated.
And the "clumps" mentioned? That occurs when we simply shake from the original container without prepping the flock. One method of achieving a "fluffy flock" is to:
  • Use a toothpick or something thin & long to stir up the top portion of the flock bottle's contents.
  • Next, pinch some of the flock between your fingers, move over the clear adhesive, and "sprinkle" from your pinched fingers by rubbing thumb & finger together.
This works for me. Perhaps it will work for someone else. ;)
I ran the front of a greeting card through the Zyron, placed some felt shapes on top, and put the flock all over the front, shook off the excess, removed the felt shapes and sprinkled with glitter. The glitter stuck to the glue where the felt shapes had been. When putting the shapes on, DON't press down to really adhere them, you want them to just lie on top of the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes