Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default favorite way to cut small shapes

I see people cut small shapes perfectly so that they even look like a die cut when they are not. what cutting techniques do people recommend, including favorite tools. I'd like a die cut for every stamp I have but that's never going to happen! do i just need to practice or is there a trick to this? any tutorials out there? I remember a video from the DH in Where the Rubber Hits the Road which was good, but I need more help. thanks everyone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1844BayanView Post
I see people cut small shapes perfectly so that they even look like a die cut when they are not. what cutting techniques do people recommend, including favorite tools. I'd like a die cut for every stamp I have but that's never going to happen! do i just need to practice or is there a trick to this? any tutorials out there? I remember a video from the DH in Where the Rubber Hits the Road which was good, but I need more help. thanks everyone.
I am so glad you asked you this, I have been wondering the same thing! I have seen others move the paper instead of the scissors, but mine still doesn't look good. I just bought some cutter bee detail scissors I haven't tried yet.

"When life gives you scraps, make something with them" Author Unkown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

For me it was just practice and a really good set of small scissors. Here's a great tip on how to make those images look like a really clean cut: http://everlastingink.blogspot.com/2...tting-tip.html
I have a pair of fiskars scissors that have a spring loaded feel (so they spring open, and I squeeze to get the cut). It's a subtle feel, but I like the control it gives me. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

good little sharp scissors like cutterbees or SU!, TURN THE PAPER not the scissors. For inside cuts I use a craft knife with a #16 blade, NOT the one (#11)that comes in most knives. See basic cutting in these tutorials
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

any one know if the #16 blades fit into the SU craft knife? thanks for the video tutorial..a new world opens up with this company and hey, a man giving them, too! also liked Everlasting Inks idea to black outline what is cut...she does that beautifully. never heard of Cutterbees, so will look that up. anyone else use a craft knife? I have the SU small snips and they are good, but my technique needs help with them. Gotta remember, move paper, not scissors. when i cut away too much card stock around the image there is nothing to hold on to for moving that paper...and it is harder that way. thanks everyone! back to the "cutting board."
By the way, this is my first post on SCS EVER....amazed that it worked. WOW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

cutter bees

The #16 goes in an exacto knife if that helps
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Another tip is how you hold your scissors. Try using your ring finger in the handle of the scissors instead of your middle finger. It gives you a lot more control. The person who told me this said that this is taught for medical professionals, don't kow if it's true, but it does work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

i use a exacto knife when i want precise work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1844BayanView Post
Oh wow, I just love anyone wanting to know about cutting paper!

If you want to use short, sharp scissors, what has already been mentioned here, about moving the paper in preference to the scissors, is a good tip.

Also, I find to cut from the inside, bottom end of the scissor (rather than using the tips). It's much much easier to just keep nudging the scissors in short bursts, watching the deepest part of the scissor blade if you like.

Especially for cutting around curved edges!

Please come visit me on my blog for some of my paper-cutting journey!

For most all of my paper-cuts/scherenschnitte cuttings though, I use a Fiskars, Fingertip Knife. Check my paper-cuts, and you'll know why I like the safety aspect of having the handle firmly in control.

The Fingerip knife has an orange handle. Fiskars also have a purple handle version and this one has a blade that 'swivels'. I wasn't game to use this one thinking it might just run away from me!

If you come to see my blog, I hope you'll leave a comment or two while you're there too, and thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes