Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do I need?

I am watercoloring illiterate... I just completely stink at it! I try really hard, but mine never look like the stamping goddesses of SCS. I did try just a watercolor brush last night and liked that better.
I have the watercolor crayons and the aquapainter. I have SU! watercolor pencils (but don't know how quite to do it this way...).
I was thinking of getting prismacolors and gamsol.... but, do I really need them?

If so, then what kind do I need to buy, regular or watercolor?

Thanks,
~Kendra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on more supplies for coloring techniques if you're not comfortable with what you've got. All of the coloring techniques use the same basic skills. I moderately stink at watercoloring, but am getting a little more happy with my results. I have WWC, and used to have Prismacolor pencils (traded them). I don't have any watercolor pencils. The Prismacolors are expensive enough that I'd wait until you feel more comfortable with your coloring, so that you don't end up with expensive supplies that you resent spending the money on.

Yikes, if I keep talking like this, they're going to take away my enabler's license!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree -- don't buy anything else -- except watercolor paper. It makes a HUGE difference. Then practice, practice. I was horrible. I'm now up to a C+ I'd say!! LOL I think this is really worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

My new favorite way to do this is blender pen and aquacolor crayons, or ink. Love the results I am getting better than anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

you can use a watercolor brush or blending brush w/crayons or pencils.

w/the crayons I like to take the brush to the crayon (on the flat end so i dont ruin the tip) and just paint away.

Pencils, the easiest way, if you're just trying to get the hang of it: decide where you want the MOST color, and trace that part. For instance say you've got a flower, and you want the most inense color in the center. So take your wc pencil and trace around the center. Then get your brush/pen and go over that color, and blend out. Super easy and looks fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Actually, I think of watercoloring and Prismacolor blending as two totally different things. I am okay at watercoloring w/ a couple of practice tries, but I have found Prismacolors and Gamsol to be easier to get great results. I just followed the tutorials both from PrincessInk on SCS and the one at Inky Antics website.
Kendra, if you decide to buy them, the Gamsol only works with Prismacolor colored pencils. The watercolor Prisma's are water soluble (blend with water).
I still try to practice my watercoloring just as often as I use the Prisma's/Gamsol. It's hard to justify the cost if you don't use them all the time. ( I was lucky...I only had to buy the Gamsol, as my sister had a bunch of Prismacolor pencils left over from art class in high school - now she doesn't use them at all, but I do!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

My advice: Blender pens with ink on watercolor paper stamped with StazOn. I apply an even coat of lighter color and then go back and add darker colors for the shaded areas. That's what works for me.....oh yeah and practice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Actually, I think of water coloring and Prismacolor blending as two totally different things. I am okay at water coloring w/ a couple of practice tries, but I have found Prismacolors and Gamsol to be easier to get great results."

I'm with thecardpixie on this one![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG] I have all the different coloring mediums, but much prefer my Prismacolors and mineral spirits to all the others. I hated coloring until I got them....now it's my favorite thing to do! I, too, am getting better with using the water color crayons, but find myself reaching for the pencils more often than not.
Reply With Quote Likes