Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #2281
Die Cut Diva

Hey Bugga! Congrats on your success at the craft sale. I'm sure the trend will follow for the next ones.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #2282
Die Cut Diva

I am curious about your adorable clothespins. What is their purpose????
Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #2283
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post

Excellent question, lynnewithane. I'm not exactly sure.

You could fold over a plain paper craft lunch sack and clip it, for a gift. You could clip a couple of bills together on your desk, to remember to pay them.

I agree, they are adorable. That's why I kept making them. But I will admit, I need to develop some answers for your question.

I'm open for any suggestions.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #2284
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Excellent question, lynnewithane. I'm not exactly sure.

You could fold over a plain paper craft lunch sack and clip it, for a gift. You could clip a couple of bills together on your desk, to remember to pay them.

I agree, they are adorable. That's why I kept making them. But I will admit, I need to develop some answers for your question.

I'm open for any suggestions.
That is too funny! Did you sell any?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #2285
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I have attached magnets to the back of my decorated clothespins and have used them as a paper holder on the refrig.
I have used them to attach a little note card or small card on those $1 tins that I have filled with candy or with a plant.
I have used them to mark places in a book or for my calendar.
You can also make them with to do and done. (Teachers can use these for when they are grading papers.) To Grade or Graded.
I am making some Christmas ones and will use them to attach the tag to the bag or to close the bag. (They would easliy clip on a tree for a decoration.)
HTH.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #2286
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I've done them with two separate purposes in mind. I sell a TON of these things.

First off for some I add a magnet to the back. Then you can clip things to the fridge.

The other use is to sell them with a piece of twine or ribbon and make a display somewhere of how you can use it to hang notes in an office or whatever. This time of year you could do some Christmas themed clips and use it to display cards. I always have a hard time displaying cards that people send me, but I started doing it this way a couple of years ago and it looks really cute!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #2287
Hardware Hotshot

Looks like Bev and I were posting at the same time. Lots of different ideas now! Bev, I love the idea of doing some labeled with to-do and done.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #2288
Die Cut Diva

Great ideas! I didn't want to make something without a purpose in mind! I love the To Do, Done idea! I may give them as gifts.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #2289
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post
Looks like Bev and I were posting at the same time. Lots of different ideas now! Bev, I love the idea of doing some labeled with to-do and done.
Good minds think alike. That is what I always say!!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #2290
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: well traveled thanks to the U.S. Navy, now retired to The Villages, FL

Great ideas on this thread and congrats to buggainok for a great outing at the craft fair....wow! I'm curious about the Tootsie Pop suckers with Halloween sticker...do you just leave them "as is" with the Tootsie wrapper and stick on Halloweenie stickers onto that or do you wrap them again and attach the "sticker"? I'm thinking that something like this would be a VERY easy quick thing to do with a Halloween stamp and some layering punches but wasn't exactly clear on how you did it. Got any photos of these? I checked out your gallery but couldn't quite tell about the Tootsie Pops. Jan
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #2291
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks to the wonderful creative minds on SCS, I now have answers when people ask me what to do with the cute little clothespins.

You gals are just the best!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #2292
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkerzaway View Post
Great ideas on this thread and congrats to buggainok for a great outing at the craft fair....wow! I'm curious about the Tootsie Pop suckers with Halloween sticker...do you just leave them "as is" with the Tootsie wrapper and stick on Halloweenie stickers onto that or do you wrap them again and attach the "sticker"? I'm thinking that something like this would be a VERY easy quick thing to do with a Halloween stamp and some layering punches but wasn't exactly clear on how you did it. Got any photos of these? I checked out your gallery but couldn't quite tell about the Tootsie Pops. Jan
Jan, I posted a close up pic of the Tootsie Pops in my Craft Fair album, with a description of how I made them. Super simple, but cute. Every kid who stopped at my booth wanted one. They sold for 50 cents each. Great little moneymaker! And the kids were so happy to get them.

I'm going to do similar ones with a Christmas theme for my shows in November. I've found that with small inexpensive items like this, the general public doesn't understand, or care, whether you stamped them, or just put a cute sticker on them. If they look cute, they buy them.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #2293
Watercolor Wizard

Sorry, I feel like I'm kind of monopolizing this thread lately, but I'm still all pumped up about doing these shows!

One more thing....my stepson came to the craft fair and took a little 3 minute video of me, my former boss and his wife at my display. (And the boss's sweet wife bought $20 worth of things!)

My dd is going to post it on YouTube for me. I will put the link here tomorrow if you guys would like to see it.

Annette

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #2294
Inking Addict

Default Craft fair

Annette,

Congratulations on your craft fair. I am looking forward to mine. A best seller at mine are kids and adult grab bags. My children have collected a ton of toys. I still have little toys from golden arches in the wrapper. I divide their toys new or cleaned up and a candy cane, stickers, Pokemon cards, etc and put in a decorated (stamped) bag and sell for a dollar. I always sell out. My kids get to make these and they keep the money. I find that the more cutesy things you can make for $1 the more profit you'll make. One crafter makes $800-$1000 from selling $1 items. The trouble is I can't come up with that many ideas. But I loved all the ideas I have picked up from this board. Thank you for sharing. I hope to add pics soon of the things for my craft fair.
Maria

Quote:
Sorry, I feel like I'm kind of monopolizing this thread lately, but I'm still all pumped up about doing these shows!

One more thing....my stepson came to the craft fair and took a little 3 minute video of me, my former boss and his wife at my display. (And the boss's sweet wife bought $20 worth of things!)

My dd is going to post it on YouTube for me. I will put the link here tomorrow if you guys would like to see it.

Annette
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #2295
Pearl-ExPert

Bugga - good job on the craft sale. I've never done one outside, I'd be scared of the weather up here in WI - you never know what it will be like!

I'm participating in on in early November, and um, I have hardly anything done for it. I did some nugget boxes and miniature gift packages (I'll post some pictures soon) but that's about it. Its all Christmas themed but I think I'll do some nuggets with fall theme - maybe the tents, maybe boxes. I'm tired of buying candy (but this year I'm on Weight Watchers so I'm not eating one, decorating the next!).

I'm chuckling about the posts about the clothes pins. I felt the same way about the big bull dog clips - I had some done up at a sale a few years ago (saw it on the SCS site and thought, why not?). But I just didn't get them and they sold like crazy. People used them as place setting, picture holder, whatever.

I love the piggy magic wand idea too - its a good idea to have silly kinds of things at the sale - that aren't too much money - cause people will buy that for gag gifts. I think I will try them but maybe put a magnet on it somehow so they can put it on the fridge.

My daughter and grandson are living with me temporarily and its hard to craft with a 10 month old running around - well not running but he is trying very hard to walk. I have to most of my crafting when he is asleep - he kind of took my craft area away from me and whenever I get to using the kitchen table - its lunch/dinner time. But I love him so its all good.

I'm going to do notebooks when I get my candy stuff done - I did buy some Twilight stamps and I'm going to do some of that on the books and things - but mostly its SU! stuff.

Target Dollar Spot had pedicure/manicure sets. Last sale that I did (and there should be pictures in my tiny gallery of some stuff) i did tins with pedicure stuff - I like the pedicure better than manicure sets - bigger stuff and it has the same as a manicure - decorated the box, put some ribbon on it - put the stuff inside and they sold like crazy. I got the tins at the Target Spot too - the little lunch tins.

My sister has been saving Altoid tins for me too so I have a lot of them - way too many tin stuff to alter for one little sale - and I think I'm going to make them into gift card holders - I'm trying to get nuggets and/or miniature candies to fit in there - thought that would be a good idea since the card is so slim but I can't get them squeezed in right - I'll keep trying - something must fit into them candy wise.

Craft sales are a lot of work but I really do like doing them. I'm only in one this year but that's enough with the little guy around the house. Maybe I'll do more next year.

I'm donating my profits from the sale to a foundation that my sister started after her daugther passed away. Gina used many nurses during her lifetime with her disabilities and my sister (her mom) works at a technical college here and they have a nursing program - so she started a tuition foundation in Gina's name. Won't be a lot to contribute, but its something. I think next year I (meaning me and my craft family) will have some event on our own to donate - like a card making, scrapbooking, craft sale type of thing. I haven't actually told them that they will be doing that - but I'll surprise them later with that!

Back to crafting (oh actually I'm at work right now but I'm thinking of crafting!).

Mary

MY GALLERY
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #2296
Embossing Fanatic

Bugga, I would love to see the youtube video....I love watching youtube videos....lol So glad you did so well. I am doing 2 shows in December and maybe one or two in November....I hope to do as well.....
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #2297
Cardstock Collector

Default masculine gift wallet

pict2994.jpgthis was inspired by patty bennet's blog. i'm too lazy to do the embossing, so I just bought the paper at Kate's Paperie in NYC
Old 10-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #2298
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Annette
Annette, I love reading all about your show and would love to see the video!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #2299
Compulsive Stamper

questions....
what kind of glue do you use for covering composition book, and for altering wood frames????
also, do you cover the inside cover, where all the measurements and stuff are???
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #2300
Hardware Hotshot

Mod Podge works for both frames and composition books. Usually with the composition books I just use Scotch Quik Dry adhesive though. I like that stuff. I do cover the insides as well, usually just with plain cardstock, the cheapie stuff from Michaels.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #2301
Compulsive Stamper

question...kind of off topic...SU cardstock is 85 lb right??? I do CTMH, and ours is 65 lb, not quite as thick as SU....just got some whisper white from my rep because I wanted the thicker paper, and its even flimsier than the ctmh stuff???? all the other SU colors I have are much thicker....what's up with that???
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #2302
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to ms.rhetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantelac View Post
question...kind of off topic...SU cardstock is 85 lb right??? I do CTMH, and ours is 65 lb, not quite as thick as SU....just got some whisper white from my rep because I wanted the thicker paper, and its even flimsier than the ctmh stuff???? all the other SU colors I have are much thicker....what's up with that???
If you want good quality non SU card stock in white go buy the georgia pacific 110 pound 96 brightness, smooth as a baby butt great to work with white cards stock.

SU has always had higher standardes. Much of thier papers I think may be manufactured by Marco. Some by Georgia Specific. All I know is I love them all expecially tne in colors!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2303
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to Scrapbookmama_14

Hey gals! I have been writing notes and loving this thread! I have a question as today is a mth exact that I will be part of a Craft Crop and then on the 8th I will be part of a Craft Fair but I've decided to make Card packages.. so my question is about pricing? How much would you charge for a package of 8 cards w/envelops hmm they will have 2 layers and inside stamped as well... HELLPPP Please I finally got over th butteflies enough to FINALLY say what I want to bring! lol (both are small) one is for a crop which I will be teaching and the other is for my boys school thats why I want to focus on my cards mostly... Thanks so much in advance for your help! (Oh first time doing this)

-Ellie

My Little Rambling World
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #2304
Glitter Queen

Default best crafts

I am new to craft shows, what are THE best selling items at craft shows?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #2305
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicbead View Post
You know, I don't think there is really a definite answer to your question. The public seems to be fickle, and they love something at one craft show in a certain place, and somewhere else it doesn't sell well.

People have said they sold out of something, rushed home to make more for their next show (in the same town), and found it didn't sell at the next show.

I would suggest that you go to some craft fairs in your area and see if you can get a feel for which booths are busy, and what people are selling where you live.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #2306
Cardstock Collector

Talking Acrylic Post It Note Holders

I just signed up here!! I have been reading and enjoying the great information that you all have to share.

Where do you find the post it notes and the acrylic holders cheap??
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 AM   #2307
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to whitney56

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazystamp View Post
I just signed up here!! I have been reading and enjoying the great information that you all have to share.

Where do you find the post it notes and the acrylic holders cheap??
I found some at BigLots for $.50. They were on the top shelf lying down, not easily seen. They seem to be a little sharp on the edges. I think I am going to stick with Walmart's.

Post it Notes - Ollie's is where I purchased mine back in April - I paid $2.99 for a twelve pack. Walmart does carry their name brand.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #2308
Kookie Creator

Default Under $10 items are HOT -- but be careful... you can be burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicbead View Post
I find that almost anything that is under $10 is popular -- with "function" being key, and the "wow factor" as a fun plus. Something that everyone doesn't wander out saying, "I could do that" -- but that has an air of being a bit special...

There are some great wood clipboards for $1 each -- I put magnets on the back and cover with designer paper and mod-podge, and a flower or other focal point... these sell for $7, take mostly minutes to do, and have a great wow factor. I produce them in batches of 5 or 10, and I sell lots.

My treat boxes, made with die-cuts using my bigshot are a huge hit, too -- I have posted about those before -- when you can sell many for $20, folks will buy batches to give to groups of friends...

Think about how you market things -- and avoid .50 items when you could get more for the same materials and time. That's a way to get "burned".

Julie
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #2309
Watercolor Wizard

Default Inexpensive crafting supplies

I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive substitutes for crafty supplies. Lately I've been using a lot of Zots - glue dots on things.

I found a great cheap substitute at the Dollar Tree. I think they just started carrying it. Look in the crafts section, where they have popcicle sticks and fun foam, etc.

It is called "Sticky Squares" and comes in a little square packet. There are 160 little square glue dots in the pack. Quite a bargain. I tried them out today, and they really stick. I'm going to go get more. The little squares are about 1/4" x 3/8" and can be cut in half for smaller stuff.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #2310
Matboard Maniac

Hey Bugga, I'm still waiting to see they you tube video of your table at the fair. Did I miss it?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #2311
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to whitney56
Default Generic Pop Dots

Quote:
I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive substitutes for crafty supplies. Lately I've been using a lot of Zots - glue dots on things.

I found a great cheap substitute at the Dollar Tree. I think they just started carrying it. Look in the crafts section, where they have popcicle sticks and fun foam, etc.

It is called "Sticky Squares" and comes in a little square packet. There are 160 little square glue dots in the pack. Quite a bargain. I tried them out today, and they really stick. I'm going to go get more. The little squares are about 1/4" x 3/8" and can be cut in half for smaller stuff.
I haven't tried "Sticky Squares" glue dots, but I thought I would share my experience. I found "dimensionsals" at the same place you mentioned. I jumped for joy thinking how much money I was saving. Then, one day, I pulled out a project that I had used their pop dots...the glue dried out and the embellishment came off the project. From that day on....no dollar store pop dots for me. HOWEVER, I had the same thing happen recently (glue drying out) with Zots - name brands arenít always the best. What's a crafty woman suppose to do?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #2312
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joypup View Post
I find that almost anything that is under $10 is popular -- with "function" being key, and the "wow factor" as a fun plus. Something that everyone doesn't wander out saying, "I could do that" -- but that has an air of being a bit special...

There are some great wood clipboards for $1 each -- I put magnets on the back and cover with designer paper and mod-podge, and a flower or other focal point... these sell for $7, take mostly minutes to do, and have a great wow factor. I produce them in batches of 5 or 10, and I sell lots.

My treat boxes, made with die-cuts using my bigshot are a huge hit, too -- I have posted about those before -- when you can sell many for $20, folks will buy batches to give to groups of friends...

Think about how you market things -- and avoid .50 items when you could get more for the same materials and time. That's a way to get "burned".

Julie
Julie, do you make full sized clipboards or mini? That is a good idea! I have one for myself (minus the magnet).

I have been a Pampered chef consultant for over 8 years---well, that could read "had been" as I just went inactive---so have done lots of booths for that & personally didn't do well b/c people wanted to buy stuff on the spot. I will say what I noticed people looking for was a "Show special" or "Convention special" (I did some homeschool book fairs/conventions). THus, PC wasn't a big hit.

I have my first REAL craft fair on 11/14. BEfore that I have a possible craft booth with a friend at a neighborhood event. It's free for the residents in her neighborhood & she invited me to share a table with her. She's a hobby SU demo & most of my stuff is non-SU. I was so glad to find this thread. I'm doing fabric crafts but so far I've had orders for my bags & haven't made things for the craft fairs. I need to read back some & see what I can find here!

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this: I did a google search for Craft Fair Best Sellers & THIS thread came up at the top of the list! LOL!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #2313
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joypup View Post

Julie
So how do you decorate your treat boxes? Do you have pictures?

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #2314
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Just wondering which die you are using? I know there are lots...!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #2315
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney56 View Post
I haven't tried "Sticky Squares" glue dots, but I thought I would share my experience. I found "dimensionsals" at the same place you mentioned. I jumped for joy thinking how much money I was saving. Then, one day, I pulled out a project that I had used their pop dots...the glue dried out and the embellishment came off the project. From that day on....no dollar store pop dots for me. HOWEVER, I had the same thing happen recently (glue drying out) with Zots - name brands arenít always the best. What's a crafty woman suppose to do?
I know what you mean, Beth. I tried the Dollar Tree double stick tape - ONCE. It did not stick at all, so I went back to the pricey Scotch brand.

These glue dots seem to be really sticky, though. I tried and tried to pull them apart and they stayed stuck. So we'll see.

There is a little no-name Dollar Spot store near me that gets all kinds of stuff in. They sell some foam dimensional sheets for a buck, kind of in squares. I have used them for several years and they work great.

That same little store had a spool of really pretty golden, metallic raffia on sale for 50 Cents. It had 100 yards on the spool, and I've used it on lots of stuff. That was probably my best bargain ever from there.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #2316
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBowley View Post
Hey Bugga, I'm still waiting to see they you tube video of your table at the fair. Did I miss it?
Thanks for asking, Michelle. No, you didn't miss it. My dd said the "file" was too big, and it has to be resized to go on you tube. Her hubby is the go-to tech guy at their house for things like that, and he's had a bad cold. She promises me she is nagging him and it will be up soon.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #2317
Watercolor Wizard

Hey everyone, here is a short video of me at my recent craft fair. I'm talking to my former boss and his wife. PS She bought $20 worth of things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUTMKDPoLo

Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2318
Kookie Creator

I don't have photos handy, but they were pillow boxes, with silver or gold cord (SU, retired) and tags made with the curly label punch set. I used the silver or gold cord to help me determine milk/dark chocolate! 3 nuggets per box, and I made some in blue/white paper for non-Christmas celebrators... I found that the punch matching the stamp, made for a certain "professional look" that added the tiny touch of "wow" that I spoke about. The tag also allowed folks to personalize the back with a name and/or small message.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #2319
Kookie Creator

The ones I like best are big enough to fit a 4x6 photo with some room to spare. They were at a local craft store and $1 each -- the clips come off, as they are attached with nuts and bolts -- the bad news is that they ship from China and I had to sort through many to find quality that I found acceptable... and some of the metal was pretty rust-pitted due to time in a shipping container, so I had to pay attention to that.

I must say, paying attention to the wooden items that one can alter is sometimes a good thing, but also an area to be careful about. I only pick items that are really worth it to alter -- function is important, and time spent on it... so weigh and measure before diving in too deep.

Oh, and I only make things that I would like to receive or give as a gift... that way if I don't sell everything, I am ahead on teacher and family gifts ;^)*
Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 AM   #2320
Crimping Master

ok, i have seen the binder clips everywhere. what do you do with them? are there uses other than photo holder?