Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #2081
Rubber Obsessor

I have used the distress ink on the coasters with no problem and I use Palette ink as well. I just tell people to wipe clean with a damp paper towel for cleaning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #2082
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Coffee and tea stain EVERYTHING, lol, especially if it's an absorbent material like the unglazed tumbled marble tiles are! You need coasters to be able to absorb some liquid to be effective, though, so it's a tradeoff.
That just adds character!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #2083
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
Thanks. At least that makes sense to me. I might try googleing to see if there is any further info.
Please, come back and let us all know if you find anything about pricing.
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #2084
Polyshrink Goddess

Good to know about the distress ink. I love the distress ink and will try it this week. I also am planning more $1 and $2 dollar items. Has anyone tried selling check book covers?? What do they sell for? I stamped a dozen of them last week. Also trying magnets this year the little business card size ones for $1. Bookmarks did well last year and will make more this year $1 simple one sided and $2.50 double sided in a plastic sleeve some had calenders on the back(pics are my gallery from last year). Also have made about 45 $1 simple stamped no embelishment cards and plan to do more. I purchased two 72 pocket card racks a couple weeks ago because everyone said their card sales went up when they dispayed in racks. I will let you know how that goes.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #2085
Polyshrink Goddess

How many sets of tile coasters do you sell on average at a show?? I have made seven sets and have 3 shows to do. Do I need to make more?? Cannot decide if I should make singles or not. Do the sets or singles sell better??
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #2086
Crimping Master

The first time I made them all my singles went,...aprox 20,I also broke up sets for paterns that I did not have singles of and sold the remainder,they only wanted 2 so I was not really concerned. The sets sold well usually sell at least 10 or so at a sale depending on the size of the sale,the last large sale I did I only sold 1 set,4 singles. They are all differant,but they also keep year to year.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #2087
Polyshrink Goddess

barbiejo tfs! Your gallary is wonderful and your craft setup is great!! What did you price your singles and sets? What images did you find customers liked most? I have done a couple in colorful fall leaves, lighthouse, sunflowers and a beach and flip flop theme. Any advice would be greatly help me decide how much more to invest in this new project.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #2088
Crimping Master

Thanks for looking at my stuff,...Sold all 3 of the light house sets I did right away,woodsy themes,nature was a real interest,the biggest shows I have are at my work and I take requests. Do you do stampin up? I sold several of the "garden colage" castle did a "fly" fishing set,sold 2, did "Noble Deer" made 1 and was the first set sold last,year. My big seller has been the Vikings/Packers ones I have done. I live in Mn and sports and the outdoors sell well. Have done golf sets and those also go well. I try hard to have a lot of "guy" items as most of the other booths are women and kid oriented. I also suggest things as teacher gifts,often mentioned the coasters with a coffee gift card,just did one this year,beer oriented,am curious to see how it does.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2089
Crimping Master

Don't forget the DARK table cloth and I always keep track of comments and suggestions and best sellers as well as prices.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #2090
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

I am thinking about participating in a craft show with my Demo and not sure if I should or not. I love my Demo and she is my friend....our friendship is something I treasure and would not want to jeapordize. I am a bit of a control freak of sorts and a Leo....so is she.

She talked to me this summer about me having my own booth, she said, "you just have so many neat ideas and you are so creative". Well, I thought about it and my life is just so crazy busy at times that I am afraid at this date I may not get enough done to have a good show. So, I approached my Demo friend with my idea.

I asked her how she would feel about me splitting the table fee and space....she would probably have a bit more space because it's really going to be her booth. She really wants to increase her business in SU. And I have decided that I will defer to her on what items she would like to have....but, all of the products have to be SU....well the inks, paper and embelishments. Our styles are different, that concerns me a bit (last thing I would want to do is upstage her).....which, if I asked her, probably does her too. I tend to be more arty and hers tend to be more simple.

Anyone have any suggestions, comments or ideas how to make this work and keep a friendship in tack?

Last edited by cvansluys; 09-11-2009 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2091
Kookie Creator

hi everyone - me again

Just wanted to let you know I've posted a few things I am working on for my October Fair. Some Halloween goodies.

Halloween Treat Boxes: (video included)
http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/?p=698

Kit Kat Holders (CASE'd from Chic N' Scratch)
http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/?p=693

Hope to craft a lot more this weekend! WOOT!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #2092
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
I am thinking about participating in a craft show with my Demo and not sure if I should or not. I love my Demo and she is my friend....our friendship is something I treasure and would not want to jeapordize. I am a bit of a control freak of sorts and a Leo....so is she.

She talked to me this summer about me having my own booth, she said, "you just have so many neat ideas and you are so creative". Well, I thought about it and my life is just so crazy busy at times that I am afraid at this date I may not get enough done to have a good show. So, I approached my Demo friend with my idea.

I asked her how she would feel about me splitting the table fee and space....she would probably have a bit more space because it's really going to be her booth. She really wants to increase her business in SU. And I have decided that I will defer to her on what items she would like to have....but, all of the products have to be SU....well the inks, paper and embelishments. Our styles are different, that concerns me a bit (last thing I would want to do is upstage her).....which, if I asked her, probably does her too. I tend to be more arty and hers tend to be more simple.

Anyone have any suggestions, comments or ideas how to make this work and keep a friendship in tack?
I don't see a problem since you're not both demos...if you were both vying for more SU! business, I'd think it'd be pretty uncomfortable. I've done a craft fair with my downline (I'm a demo) but she isn't pursuing the business side--just wanted to sell her own crafts. It was my newsletter people signed up for. She also has a different style from me--she's probably the more arty one. But honestly, that doesn't bother me because everyone has different tastes & as a demo, it helps me because it just shows how much you can do with stuff. We did try to make different things though (but it is hard for there not to be some similarities--for ex. I made large notebook & pen sets, she made small ones). All her stuff stayed on her table to make things clear & she had her own little sign too. I wanted it to be clear it was made by someone else in case people came back for a custom order. We're doing it again later this season but that will be harder because the fair doesn't allow booth-sharing so we can't advertise her stuff separately. So, that's not ideal but it's a long day & it's nice to have someone to share it with! Oh & it's also a good idea to make sure y'all have similar price points---different prices for similar quality could look funny. But if you put more details in, use more supplies in your work, it makes perfect sense to price your stuff higher.

On a personal level, you just have to go into it with the decision that you won't take it personally if someone chooses to buy her item & not yours. We're all so invested in our crafts, it's a hard thing to be magnanimous about it--so I think you really have to make a conscious decision (especially if you have a competitive nature) to be happy for her if sth of hers sells/not compare when sth of yours sells.

Hope that helps. & if doesn't work for y'all, just plan on doing your own booth next time.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #2093
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantala40 View Post
hi everyone - me again

Just wanted to let you know I've posted a few things I am working on for my October Fair. Some Halloween goodies.

Halloween Treat Boxes: (video included)
http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/?p=698

Kit Kat Holders (CASE'd from Chic N' Scratch)
http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/?p=693

Hope to craft a lot more this weekend! WOOT!
Kerry - You are sure blazing the trails for me for my craft fair. Those KitKat holders are so cute and EASY. Got to make them! Love your little boxes, too, but I don't have any of those, sigh....

Thanks once again for your enthusiasm!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #2094
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, wanted to tell you guys that make altered composition books - Target (at least here in Oklahoma City) has a ton of the regulation size composition books on clearance for only 35 cents each! They were in the school supply section, not office stuff.

There were 2 ladies getting them for a church charity thing who had their baskets stacked with them.

I was pretty restrained for me and only got 20.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #2095
Rubber Obsessor

Bugga..I saw those composition books..I was going to get some but ended up not but may have to go back!

Kerry..I LOVE those kit kat holders...sooooo cute!!!

Barb, we aren't too far from each other...I'm in Farmington, used to live in Zimmerman. This is my first year selling the tile coasters so I'm anxious to see how it goes. I'm doing at least one craft show each month through Christmas so it will be interesting!

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #2096
Rubber Obsessor

I got the 2 x 2 travertine tiles and am making magnets with them to sell in upcoming craft shows. The owl images are from The Angel Company
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2097
Pearl-ExPert

I saw this on a blog I visit all the time. Its gorgeous. Would make an excellent gift or product to sell at a fair. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...3?&limit=last1

MY GALLERY
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #2098
Hardware Hotshot

Oh my gosh! Ellie, those magnets are too cute! I love them! I saw the 2x2 tiles at the store but resisted the urge at the time. I may have to go back.

Mary, that candle really is beautiful! I have some candles I've been meaning to stamp. I don't have that stamp, but wow, does it make a stunning candle or what?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #2099
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesod View Post
I don't see a problem since you're not both demos...if you were both vying for more SU! business, I'd think it'd be pretty uncomfortable. I've done a craft fair with my downline (I'm a demo) but she isn't pursuing the business side--just wanted to sell her own crafts. It was my newsletter people signed up for. She also has a different style from me--she's probably the more arty one. But honestly, that doesn't bother me because everyone has different tastes & as a demo, it helps me because it just shows how much you can do with stuff. We did try to make different things though (but it is hard for there not to be some similarities--for ex. I made large notebook & pen sets, she made small ones). All her stuff stayed on her table to make things clear & she had her own little sign too. I wanted it to be clear it was made by someone else in case people came back for a custom order. We're doing it again later this season but that will be harder because the fair doesn't allow booth-sharing so we can't advertise her stuff separately. So, that's not ideal but it's a long day & it's nice to have someone to share it with! Oh & it's also a good idea to make sure y'all have similar price points---different prices for similar quality could look funny. But if you put more details in, use more supplies in your work, it makes perfect sense to price your stuff higher.

On a personal level, you just have to go into it with the decision that you won't take it personally if someone chooses to buy her item & not yours. We're all so invested in our crafts, it's a hard thing to be magnanimous about it--so I think you really have to make a conscious decision (especially if you have a competitive nature) to be happy for her if sth of hers sells/not compare when sth of yours sells.

Hope that helps. & if doesn't work for y'all, just plan on doing your own booth next time.

Thanks Jules for the input! I am heading over to her house tonight to crop and then discuss the show. She asked me to come up with some ideas....I have a whole legal page of them. Most are altered items, which she generally does not do....so that might be a good thing.

Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #2100
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
Thanks Jules for the input! I am heading over to her house tonight to crop and then discuss the show. She asked me to come up with some ideas....I have a whole legal page of them. Most are altered items, which she generally does not do....so that might be a good thing.

Thanks again!
Let us know how it goes! Good luck and have fun cropping too!
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #2101
Polyshrink Goddess

barbiejo thank again for sharing!! I guess I better go back to lowes and buy some more tiles. I only have a couple stamps geared toward guys. Ellie your tile magnets are Cute!! I will be on the lookout for some affordable dark table clothes. I have 4 biege ones that are still in good shape but I do like the presentation the darker ones make. Kerry love your kit kat holders! Lots of great ideas tonight. Still wondering if anyone has ever done check book covers??
Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #2102
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1281 View Post
Still wondering if anyone has ever done check book covers??
Don't know what it's like where you live but if I were you I wouldn't make any more of the checkbook covers than you have already -- now that just about every bill can be paid online I personally don't use checks anymore, and neither do many of my friends. My church set up electronic giving a couple of years ago, so now I don't even need checks for that!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #2103
Polyshrink Goddess

Ellie I am heading to lowes this weekend for more coaster tiles and might have to get supplies to try the magnets. What kind of magnets do you use on the back of your owls and what adhesive?? I bought all the self adhesive cork discs lowes had and checked walmart and none there. Found some plastic ones at walmart but they are more expensive. Where do you ladies find the cork for the bottom of your tiles and what adhesive do you use?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #2104
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Don't know what it's like where you live but if I were you I wouldn't make any more of the checkbook covers than you have already -- now that just about every bill can be paid online I personally don't use checks anymore, and neither do many of my friends. My church set up electronic giving a couple of years ago, so now I don't even need checks for that!
At some of the church craft shows I get alot of older customers and they still carry checkbooks. I still use checks a couple times a month myself. Maybe I will just test the market with what I have done. Thanks for your advise.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #2105
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Ellie I am heading to lowes this weekend for more coaster tiles and might have to get supplies to try the magnets. What kind of magnets do you use on the back of your owls and what adhesive?? I bought all the self adhesive cork discs lowes had and checked walmart and none there. Found some plastic ones at walmart but they are more expensive. Where do you ladies find the cork for the bottom of your tiles and what adhesive do you use?
I looked at the cork for the bottom of the tiles, and decided it was too expensive. I found a substitute which works really well, and is cost effective - pretty, too.

Get some sheets of fun foam in colors to coordinate with your tiles. Cut squares just slightly smaller than the bottom of your coaster. I glued it to the bottom with Tombow MonoMulti in the green/white bottle. I adhered mine with thin lines around the edge and a few in the middle.

The coaster will not mar furniture, and doesn't slip either.

They sell fun foam at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. usually in the kids craft section. I found a multi-color pack of small sheets at the Dollar Tree, too.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #2106
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
barbiejo thank again for sharing!! I guess I better go back to lowes and buy some more tiles. I only have a couple stamps geared toward guys. Ellie your tile magnets are Cute!! I will be on the lookout for some affordable dark table clothes. I have 4 biege ones that are still in good shape but I do like the presentation the darker ones make. Kerry love your kit kat holders! Lots of great ideas tonight. Still wondering if anyone has ever done check book covers??
For the dark tablecloth, I found a black twin size sheet at Walmart for only about $5. Don't wait until Halloween gets too close though, because they will probably be gone by then!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #2107
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
For the dark tablecloth, I found a black twin size sheet at Walmart for only about $5. Don't wait until Halloween gets too close though, because they will probably be gone by then!
How big is the table? I like to use Full ones for 6-ft tables, because then it covers all the way to the floor on both sides and you can hide your packaging, storage containers, etc. under the table! Burgundy is a nice color choice as well because it's dark, semi-neutral (yeah, I watch a lot of What Not to Wear on TLC, LOL!), and much easier to find on store shelves than black. I chose that color for my table drapes because the sheets could also serve double duty and be used on my bed!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #2108
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
At some of the church craft shows I get alot of older customers and they still carry checkbooks. I still use checks a couple times a month myself. Maybe I will just test the market with what I have done. Thanks for your advice.
Good point about the more elderly shoppers! It all depends on demographics. Good luck to you and be sure to report back!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #2109
Gabfest Goddess

What about gift card holders? I would think you might have some interest in those. Here is a cute one:
http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad...rd-video-.html

I saw one last year on SCS that was a card made to look like a flat gift box. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #2110
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
What about gift card holders? I would think you might have some interest in those. Here is a cute one:

I saw one last year on SCS that was a card made to look like a flat gift box. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Thanks for this, Craftymom. I need a couple more Christmas items, and this looks cute and easy!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #2111
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
How big is the table? I like to use Full ones for 6-ft tables, because then it covers all the way to the floor on both sides and you can hide your packaging, storage containers, etc. under the table! Burgundy is a nice color choice as well because it's dark, semi-neutral (yeah, I watch a lot of What Not to Wear on TLC, LOL!), and much easier to find on store shelves than black. I chose that color for my table drapes because the sheets could also serve double duty and be used on my bed!
Rachel, why weren't you shopping with me when I bought that twin sheet? You are right. A full one would be much better. My table is also 6 ft. Good thing Walmart is easy to return things.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #2112
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Here is a picture:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...d=77578&d=1200

Now I need to see if I can find the directions.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...d=77579&d=1200
Proud RAK Member

Last edited by craftymomto2; 09-12-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #2113
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a cute idea too:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...7398?&cat=3230
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #2114
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post
Oh my gosh! Ellie, those magnets are too cute! I love them! I saw the 2x2 tiles at the store but resisted the urge at the time. I may have to go back.

Mary, that candle really is beautiful! I have some candles I've been meaning to stamp. I don't have that stamp, but wow, does it make a stunning candle or what?
Thanks! I love doing the smaller tiles!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #2115
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I purchased my magnets online at www.magnetvalley.com and I purchased 8.5 x 11 adhesive sheets of the magnets because I couldn't find any adhesive magnets locally but then after I purchased the magnets online I finally found them at Joanne's.

For the cork, I just purchased a full sheet (huge sheet) of cork (no adhesive) at Joanne's and I cut them into small 1 inch or so squares and I've been using Quick Dry Adhesive from Scotch and that has worked well!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #2116
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
That is CUTE!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #2117
Watercolor Wizard

Here are two more items for my Craft Fair in November.

I'm a big dog and cat person, and I hope lots of "us" come to the fair and buy these little Christmas Doggie and Kitty Treats:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95067

Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #2118
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I didn't make it to lowes today. Instead decided it was to beautiful of a day to spend inside and my daughter and I went to the popcorn festival and browsed all the craft booths. Still haven't found anyone doing the tile coasters. I checkout all the table covers and the one that looked the best were black and especially one lady had a black velvety type that had a little crinkle look so it didn't show any wrinkles. She said she just bought it off a bolt at the fabric dept. However it didn't go all the way to the ground. So the full sheets are a good idea and probably less expensive. I use mostly my 6 foot tables (usually three in a horseshoe shape) and one show supplies us with one 8 foot table. Well I am going to have to check out cork at Joanns as lowes wants 1.57 for 12 small self adhesive circles. Thanks for the link to the magnet site. Cute gift card holders! Didn't see any new ideas to make. Not one papercrafter. Did run into one lady who I intoduced to SCS last year and she had a little basket of great cards she made displayed with her crafts. Looks like another nice weather day tomorrow and another craft show two towns over. I will report what I find.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #2119
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Here are two more items for my Craft Fair in November.

I'm a big dog and cat person, and I hope lots of "us" come to the fair and buy these little Christmas Doggie and Kitty Treats:

Those are cute!! TFS!
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2120
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by short4j View Post
Being able to buy more stamps now = Priceless

- J.
AWESOME!! You are so right. I love all the ideas you all gave. I am so psyched for the apple/popcorn festival next weekend where I am going to attempt to sell Gift Packs (refrigerator notepad/card/pen) and card packs.

I love Splitcoast!!