Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #1961
Compulsive Stamper

Subscribing.

I love this thread!! I am going to my first craft show in October and had originally planned on taking only cards. Now I plan to take nearly half a dozen crafts.

Thank you for all the great ideas!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #1962
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to ms.rhetta

im your "spooky" is fab, did you cut everything by hand, I bet you could do some of this with a die cutter or cricut!NICE!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #1963
Rubber Obsessor

I showcased some clean and simple mini note cards on my blog today if you want to take a look. I am going to sell them in a pack of eight (like my drink tags) at the fall craft fairs.

My Blog

My Gallery
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #1964
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantala40 View Post
Hello Ladies! Wanted to post here as I just had a HUGE fair last week in Falmouth, MA (Cape Cod). It was giant - and very overwhelming. I'm glad I did it - I definitely made a profit - but I will most likely be sticking to smaller fairs going forward!

Anyway, here are some of my notes from the fair. You can find lots of Photos of my booth & product on my blog:

http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/?p=573

Here is a C&P from my blog, with a little more info added in:
  • Biggest Selling Items: Laminated Bookmarks, Altered Binder Clips, Jumbo Clothespins, Altered Composition Notebooks, Post-It Note Holders (always a fave!)
  • Those wire display racks that you see were a new thing for me this time around! They are actually closet organizer shelves that I bought at Lowes in the Home Organization section. They are standing on end. I attached them to each other with tie-wraps -and then I secured them to the tables using bungee cords underneath. Neat, huh?
  • The black backing to my display racks was simply a flat black sheet that I got at Walmart for $3. I simply attached to the back of the rack using mini binder clips. So easy & cheap. I thought it gave the booth a nice finished look.
  • Lots of requests for stuff with Ladybugs on them. I think they are all the rage right now? I wrote that one down!
  • People LOVE those altered composition Notebooks. Weird huh? I think they make a great little gift for a kid - lots of people mentioned they wanted to get them for their children to draw or write in. I will def. be making lots more of these.
  • I wish I had made more door hangers. People liked these a lot too.

For copyright issues - I simply printed a bunch of labels out. All the labels said "Kerry's Paper Crafts", then my website URL - and then the appropriate Copyright was noted. For ex: Copyright Stampin Up! or Hero Arts, Stamping Bella, etc. - this was a great way for me to get my name on something & comply with Angel Policies. I adhered these to the backs & under-side of all my items.

People were VERY interested in things for their kids. In fact, I was definitely a "kid friendly booth"!! I think they were attracted to the bright colorful items - and of course, my prices were lower than most other vendors at this fair. (there were many high end vendors at this fair). Many parents said to me "It's nice to have a booth where I can get my kids a little something & not break the bank - esp. in this economy". So I thought that was a good thing!

As I stated - lots of requests for Ladybugs. Apparently they are a HOT thing at the moment!

My booth setup was definitely a step up this year. I used much more height than last years fairs and it worked out - I had much more room on the tables to display stuff.

I'm sure I am leaving some details out, so leave me a comment on my blog or PM me for more info if you have any questions. Thanks!

I now have to focus on my 2 upcoming fairs for this fall!! LOL!!
Thank for posting your craft fair pic. I was wondering where your purchased your card rack display.
Virginia
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #1965
Pearl-ExPert

Here is a website that sells card racks

http://www.displaywarehouse.com/show...FRkNDQodewlSmw

there are tons of companies out there, I just did a Google search

HTH
Sabrina
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #1966
Pearl-ExPert

I scored at a rummage sale today and got two racks, one for cards and the other holds magazines or books. I'm thinking of participating in a sale in October (oh and no I don't have anything ready for it!) and I was so happy to find these racks. Been looking forever and didn't want to spend tons of money on them. Now I need to get cracking on projects for the sale!

MY GALLERY
Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #1967
Rubber Obsessor

Congrats on the racks. I bought mine second hand last year too! I posted photos of my Teabag Boxes on my blog today...I am planning on selling these this fall.

My Blog

My Gallery
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #1968
Matboard Maniac

subscribing. thanks for all these fantastic ideas!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #1969
Crimping Master

I'm so excited,I have 46 coasters "tumbled tiles" stamped and baked,have about 40 left to do,...did some chipboard coaster calendars,and coco pkgs,have done the pic for my candy bars and they are layered,always wait to get the candy bars closer to the sale,and have not seen a sale on coco yet. Did bead pens,have more to do,don't like that chore. But I feel good like I'm getting there. Always so much to do and so little time.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #1970
Watercolor Wizard

Oh wow, ladies, I started reading this long, long thread yesterday from the beginning. I read, bookmarked favorites, and made notes until 2:00 am.

I started reading again this afternoon, and here I am on the last page. Whew!! What a wonderful wealth of information, encouragement and talent.

I'd been seeing a sign on a nearby church that I pass by nearly every day. It said "Crafters - Call ---------. I finally wrote down the number and called. The lady was so nice. She said it is the 6th year of the Craft Fair and was thrilled when I told her I did papercrafts. She said they don't have anyone else in that category. So, we will see if that is good....or not.

She's sending me an application. The booth fee is $25 for one day, November 7, from 10 to 4. I am very excited about going, and my head is just reeling with all the creative ideas I've found here.

I have a room FULL of stamps, paper, ribbons, bling, you name it, and I know I can make some great things for this show.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share such detailed information, post links, and look things up.

I'm looking forward to reading this thread every day between now and November 7th. Oh wait, I have to make things don't I? Yipes!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #1971
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiejo View Post
I'm so excited,I have 46 coasters "tumbled tiles" stamped and baked,have about 40 left to do,...did some chipboard coaster calendars,and coco pkgs,have done the pic for my candy bars and they are layered,always wait to get the candy bars closer to the sale,and have not seen a sale on coco yet. Did bead pens,have more to do,don't like that chore. But I feel good like I'm getting there. Always so much to do and so little time.
Where did you find your coasters? I went to Lowes and the only tumbled tiles they had were about $5.99 for 4. I'm sure these aren't the ones that everyone has been using to make these. Just seems kinda pricey.

What exactly are they called at the hardware stores? I appreciate any help on this.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #1972
Mad Swapper

I get mine for Lowes. They are in the tile section in big boxes of about 40 or so. Of course I do use the smaller ones for drink coasters and they average out to 20cents or so each. Just make sure they don't have a coating over them already because the ink won't really stay on them. If you can't find them just ask on of the workers and tell them you need tumbled tiles and they "should" be able to help. Hope you find them, these are really fun to make and sell pretty well.

Misti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Carper View Post
Where did you find your coasters? I went to Lowes and the only tumbled tiles they had were about $5.99 for 4. I'm sure these aren't the ones that everyone has been using to make these. Just seems kinda pricey.

What exactly are they called at the hardware stores? I appreciate any help on this.
NEW and OPEN - 6x6 - Complete Holiday Dinner Swap - PRIZES; http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...d.php?t=496678
Old 08-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #1973
Die Cut Diva

I got mine either at Lowe's or Home Depot. They are 3.5 inch square tiles. They are quite heavy, and come in a box of 9 tiles, I think. The style is Bottocino. The box is a cube with a hole in the front. I forget what they cost. They tend to be very dusty, so you need to rinse them, and let them dry before you stamp them.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #1974
Postapalooza Mama

Send a message via AIM to maryp Send a message via Yahoo to maryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I got mine either at Lowe's or Home Depot. They are 3.5 inch square tiles. They are quite heavy, and come in a box of 9 tiles, I think. The style is Bottocino. The box is a cube with a hole in the front. I forget what they cost. They tend to be very dusty, so you need to rinse them, and let them dry before you stamp them.
That's where I got mine, & that's also the name/style that I bought. The count sounds about right too. I don't recall what I paid for mine since it's been about 2-3 yrs since I bought any.

My DH & I actually sat on the floor in the store going thru the boxes to make sure to get the best tiles as some of them might be too rough or bumpy to stamp on & some had nicks on the corners.

There was some prep involved with the rinsing & letting them dry, but it's worth it since it's a very fun, rewarding project. I gave many sets of 4 as Christmas gifts to family & friends. They also make inexpensive but very nice housewarming gifts. not to mention a great craft fair item.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #1975
Gabfest Goddess

I got mine at Lowe's, they were clear on the bottom, actually sitting on the floor in little cube boxes, 9 to a box, one square foot, Tumbled Marble, made in Turkey, label on box " Tumbled Marble 4x4 Chiaro. I believe they were under $5 per box. Than I got the rubber bumpers, 1/2" self-stick 12 per package, for under $1.50? Like someone else said, I went thru a couple of boxes to pick out the "good ones", meaning no chips or huge holes where you would stamp your image. HTH!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #1976
Die Cut Diva

Definetely worth your time to sit on the floor to get a good box. A box of 9 is less than $5.

I haven't sold any as coasters yet, but my SIL saw a picture and said that I should have some that can be hung on the wall

My blog
My SU! website
Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #1977
Crimping Master

Default Tile Ladies....A question?

So are you using Staz On for the ink? and are you heat sealing them in the oven? What temp and how long?

Found a couple tutorials, but some of the information in them and the comments attached are conflicting. Would like to make a set or 2 for some new neighbors and friends that are building a new home.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Beth
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #1978
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Outdoor Craft Fair: the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Hi Ladies,

Had my first craft fair of the season yesterday (& the first outdoor one I've ever done). I posted pics & thoughts on my experience on my blog

http://stamp4life.blogspot.com/2009/...-bad-ugly.html

Hopefully I'll have more insights on bestsellers with my next one!
Julie
Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #1979
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconstamper View Post
Definetely worth your time to sit on the floor to get a good box.
Gotta be careful, though! If a store employee sees you, they'll often make you stop what you're doing and leave the area, or force you to take your boxes of tiles as they were originally packed.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #1980
Postapalooza Mama

Send a message via AIM to maryp Send a message via Yahoo to maryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Gotta be careful, though! If a store employee sees you, they'll often make you stop what you're doing and leave the area, or force you to take your boxes of tiles as they were originally packed.
Sorry if that happened to you! Fortunately it never happened to us. We did it on more than one occasion & employees couldn't help but see us, considering where the tile inventory was.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1981
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
So are you using Staz On for the ink? and are you heat sealing them in the oven? What temp and how long?

Found a couple tutorials, but some of the information in them and the comments attached are conflicting. Would like to make a set or 2 for some new neighbors and friends that are building a new home.

Beth

I made a set for my Mom a few years ago. She loves music, so I did a collage of music notes in black stazon.
I just made a set for my son and his two roommates for their new apartment. The girls wanted a beach theme. I used the seashell set (I can't remember the name). I stamped black stazon, then used SU chalks and a Q tip to color in the shells. Next, I covered a cookie sheet with foil, and baked at 250 for about 20 minutes. They don't smell great. I let them cool, and took the tiles outside, and sprayed with an aerosol sealer. I waited a while, and spayed again. This keeps the chalks from rubbing off.
I'm not sure if all of these steps are necessary, but after reading up, that is what I decided to do.

I have also seen that you can color with sharpies, but I have never done that.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1982
Crimping Master

Default lowes tiles

are you still finding the tiles? I know there was a post saying they were discontinued, and I can't find them at our stores anymore. im in buffalo ny
Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1983
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Beth
Here is an Excellent video:
http://stamptv.ning.com/video/tile-coasters
HTH!
Proud RAK Member
Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #1984
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsrlb View Post
are you still finding the tiles? I know there was a post saying they were discontinued, and I can't find them at our stores anymore. im in buffalo ny
I believe those where a different kind, I just got mine a couple of months ago.
Proud RAK Member
Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #1985
Crimping Master

I clean my tiles with a baby wipe, use stazon ink, and sharpie markers...thats it..let them dry and you are ready to go. I made some 3 years ago, use them everyday with hot and cold cups and not a spot has come off..you can rub as hard as you want, and the ink wont come off
Old 08-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #1986
Crimping Master

Thanks so much for the video and the suggestions!
Off to Lowe's or Home Depot this afternoon!

Another quick question -
I have a Open House in October...so what would you charge for a set of 4?

You ladies Rock!
Thanks again -
Beth
Old 08-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #1987
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks so much for the video and the suggestions!
Off to Lowe's or Home Depot this afternoon!

Another quick question -
I have a Open House in October...so what would you charge for a set of 4?

You ladies Rock!
Thanks again -
Beth
I was in an art store in Florida, and saw a set of 4 in an organdy bag for $35.00! I couldn't believe it. I think that if I was buying a set, $15 to $20 seems reasonable.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #1988
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I was in an art store in Florida, and saw a set of 4 in an organdy bag for $35.00! I couldn't believe it. I think that if I was buying a set, $15 to $20 seems reasonable.

HOLY COW! I had no idea! Considering that these are gonna cost less than $5.00/set to make...that is a heck of a return!

I was thinking 12.00 - 15.00/set depending on the details.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #1989
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesod View Post
Hi Ladies,

Had my first craft fair of the season yesterday (& the first outdoor one I've ever done). I posted pics & thoughts on my experience on my blog

http://stamp4life.blogspot.com/2009/...-bad-ugly.html

Hopefully I'll have more insights on bestsellers with my next one!
Julie
Thanks for sharing your day and trials and tribulations with us, Julie. I know it wasn't funny when it happened, but the ants made me smile.

My first craft fair experience will be November 7, indoors at a nearby church. It is the 6th year for the fair, so maybe they will have good attendance. I'm hoping anyway. Oklahoma has brutal hot summers, 100 degrees+ so I don't think I would even consider doing an outside event in the summertime here.

Your setup looks great and gosh, you sure have lots of wonderful things. When the dust settles, I hope you did better than you think you did.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #1990
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Thanks for sharing your day and trials and tribulations with us, Julie. I know it wasn't funny when it happened, but the ants made me smile.

My first craft fair experience will be November 7, indoors at a nearby church. It is the 6th year for the fair, so maybe they will have good attendance. I'm hoping anyway. Oklahoma has brutal hot summers, 100 degrees+ so I don't think I would even consider doing an outside event in the summertime here.

Your setup looks great and gosh, you sure have lots of wonderful things. When the dust settles, I hope you did better than you think you did.
Thanks The kids really enjoyed the ants too....
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #1991
Matboard Maniac

Ok, folks, here's how it went!

For 3 days with decent weather and good crowds, I made of profit of (drum roll please...) $156. Not so great. I'm going to give it one more try though, with more variation in product...

for all the nitty gritty details and a picture, see my blog: http://dipstamping.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #1992
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey ladies. I've been stalking around here for a while. I'm doing my first craft fair September 19th. It's my first one so I don't want to make too much stuff, but I'm kind of afraid that I might not have enough or enough variety. How many different things do you usually take to a craft show and how much of each thing? I'm just afraid of running out. Do you take pictures or keep one of something if you do run out so people can order? Thanks for your help!

Stickles Swap
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #1993
Crimping Master

Default Tiles at Home Depot

Morning!
Just got back from Home Depot on my quest for coaster tiles.
WELL! They have gotten pretty sneaky at my store - none of the tiles are in boxes anymore....they are all shrink-wrapped!
So no sitting on the floor digging through boxes for me!

I asked one of the employees about the potential of tiles being un-usable or broken since you can't see each one....he told me that they have had a lot of "women" complain about that and to bring those tiles back and they would replace them if I want. Not sure how they will do that since they are all packaged - but worth a try I guess? Then he asked "what do you ladies do with these things anyway?" LOL!

I'll let you know what I find once I get a chance to open them.

Happy Monday All!
Beth
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #1994
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedabelle View Post
Hey ladies. I've been stalking around here for a while. I'm doing my first craft fair September 19th. It's my first one so I don't want to make too much stuff, but I'm kind of afraid that I might not have enough or enough variety. How many different things do you usually take to a craft show and how much of each thing? I'm just afraid of running out. Do you take pictures or keep one of something if you do run out so people can order? Thanks for your help!
I'm probably not the best person to answer this because I ALWAYS make too much, but here's my take on it (if only I followed my own advice). If you're only doing one craft fair, then stick with only making a few of everything--unless it's really easy to make & a low ticket item--I make more of those. I do take pictures but I don't bring them with me. I just tell people what else I can make, offer to send a pic. Sometimes they want a different design or more than what I have so I take a custom order for later. I have a blog & facebook page too so it is easy for me to refer people.

Of course, if you can, keep in mind the size of the fair & how many more you'll have to sell your inventory & if you'll have time to restock in between fairs if necessary. You really won't know what sells til you've tried & each fair can be so different! I think about 7 to 10 different things would be a great way to start. An example of what I've done: notebooks w/pens (7) , post-it holders w/pens (15), pens alone (10), binder clips (12) , mini-albums (14), bookmarks (a bunch), cards (whatever I have on hand--I don't make extra for fairs), ornaments (about 10 per design--I make a lot of these! more than I should but I do a few fairs each year), magnets ( a bunch) and candles (10). Of course, I have stuff left over from the previous year so I'm finally at a point where I'm not starting from scratch completely. I also make altered art jewelry & barrettes but that's a whole different ballgame--just started branching out from traditional paper stuff this year.

The general advice I've heard is to limit the different designs of each item or people feel overwhelmed. I don't always follow this for the bigger items because I like to vary themes--oh well. But if I find something that works, I do tend to make more of it & repeat it year to year. Oh & also--a variety of different price points helps too. I also do a lot of buy 2 get a reduced price sort of thing & that tends to boost sales.

My very first fair season I had cards, ornaments, & frames--that's it. I took a few custom orders for more ornaments but I really should have had more variety because my table just didn't look that interesting & wouldn't make people stop to browse.

Hope that helps! Julie
Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #1995
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Morning!
Just got back from Home Depot on my quest for coaster tiles.
WELL! They have gotten pretty sneaky at my store - none of the tiles are in boxes anymore....they are all shrink-wrapped!
So no sitting on the floor digging through boxes for me!

I asked one of the employees about the potential of tiles being un-usable or broken since you can't see each one....he told me that they have had a lot of "women" complain about that and to bring those tiles back and they would replace them if I want. Not sure how they will do that since they are all packaged - but worth a try I guess? Then he asked "what do you ladies do with these things anyway?" LOL!

I'll let you know what I find once I get a chance to open them.

Happy Monday All!
Beth

That's awesome--bring a final product to show him so he can talk intelligently with the other "ladies."
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #1996
Crimping Master

I did get my coasters at Home Depot and Lowes,...sat on the floor and sorted,...even with careful sorting you end up with some that are less desireable,I have both a reg and a thin sharpie that I "fix" things with. I wipe the dust with a damp towel stamp with staz on bake at 375 for 12 min cool color with chalks using a blender pen for detail or Q tip. I always seal with a coat of polly,I use satin finish,always get the roll of pre glued cork and cut tu fit entire back. Have never had a complaint,...I sell both individual and sets,...usually $3.50 a peice and $14.00 for a set. They usually sell very well. Price varity is so important!!! I try to have $1.00 items and the coasters are my spendy item.
Good luck!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #1997
Crimping Master

ops,forgot,I don't bake them on anything but the racks in the oven,they fit fine as I do a large volume,...more then 100 the last 2 days,it would take forever. Dosent hurt anything and I just wipe them off,the racks,when I'm done.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #1998
Mad Swapper

Quote:
he told me that they have had a lot of "women" complain about that and to bring those tiles back and they would replace them if I want.
Just an FYI for anyone in the future...

When we bought our home a few years back we wanted to put a ceiling fan in my Mom's room. We went to Lowe's and bought one and it was stapled shut like they do at the factory.

We got home, took all the pieces out and 2 of the 4 globes were broken. We packed it back up and took it back. The manager told us to go over to the fan area and get another box and bring it to the customer service area - we thought ok, we'll get the whole thing. Nope! He opened it and took out 2 globes, took out our 2 broken ones and bid us a good day.

Now I always check anything and everything before I pull out of a parking lot.

On another note, I've subscribed to this thread. All of you are so amazing, and you are such inspirations!!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #1999
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to ms.rhetta
Default Pricing bug pins.

I made these adorable bug pins, Think would do well at a craft store, I've posted on my blog, but hope you guys will give me your opinion on how much to charge.

They are easy, but transparencies are expensive. So, the break down is something like this:

Here is the breakdown of the costs:

You get 25 transparencies for about $35.00 or $1.40 per sheet
I can make about 12 bug pins from each sheet meaning they cost .12 cents each. They take about 10 min to complete twelve. Umm google eyes I don't remember how much they are. Same with pin backs.

I was thinking $5.00 - $7.00 each do you guys think that is fair?
Attached Thumbnails
funky-bug-pin-002.jpg   funky-bug-pin-003.jpg   funky-bug-pin-004.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #2000
Kookie Creator

Those would be cute on skinny dowel rods for plants and flower pots too.