Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #121
Hardware Hotshot

The Color Me Card Kits BOMBED for me last year. I actually ended up sending them out to my relatives to use in their kids' stocking. It just goes to show that what sells well in one area doesn't necessarily sell well in another area.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #122
Glitter Queen

you got my curiosity going! What's this about re-inkers and glitter??? I couldn't find it
Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #123
Cardstock Collector

I had a great suggestion given to me a couple of weeks ago for a craft show item....the "husband pack"! This is a set of cards, including Valentine's Day card, anniversary card, birthday card, etc. Perfect for someone who remembers these important days (or forgets them easily and all that is open is the local variety store. You could bag them and add a tag with "important days to remember" and space to write the dates in.

Lots of great ideas - I enjoy reading all your posts.

Sarah
Old 09-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #124
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleegirl
I had a great suggestion given to me a couple of weeks ago for a craft show item....the "husband pack"! This is a set of cards, including Valentine's Day card, anniversary card, birthday card, etc. Perfect for someone who remembers these important days (or forgets them easily and all that is open is the local variety store. You could bag them and add a tag with "important days to remember" and space to write the dates in.

Sarah
I LOVE this idea!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #125
SuG
Forum Fanatic

after reading this thread and preparing for a month, I did my first show today. What a bomb! It was held at the chapel at Valley Forge National Park. The craft show was part of the fall festival, there were only 18 "crafters" some bought wholesale junk and resold it some had nice art work most had beaded jewelry. It was mostly unadvertised. Most people walking through were just lookers.
I took a couple of altered composition books, some spiral notebooks of varying sizes, 4 lunch tins, cards, book marks (laminated), treat bags, packets of cards for kids to color with crayons, and 6 sets of tile coasters. I had actually left the coasters at home and called hubby to bring them over. Good thing he did, I sold 3 sets of coasters, 6 bookmarks, and 1 tin. My kids came to enjoy the festivities so the day ended up costing us money! Table charge was $25, the going rate for table space around here, but the light over my table was burned out (as were 7 out of 18 ceiling lights). Ok I have paid for 2 more shows in November, hopefully I can come out ahead! This could be so much fun if it pays. I will spend the month making more inventory because I am sure the other two will be bigger and have more people coming through. Ah well, it is like having that first workshop over and done with, learn from it and move on!
SuG
Old 09-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #126
SuG
Forum Fanatic

oh i also made gift tag pouches and sold 2 (to my father in law, does that count?)LOL
SuG
Old 10-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #127
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. I'm participating in my first craft fair the end of November. Every area is different. It is an experience and I am dying to see how it goes. The craft sale here is in the same place as a monthly flea market. I expect the flea market crowd to come and won't buy anything that is not CHEAP. I'm taking all my homemade Christmas gifts (if they sell, I'll just make more) for variety and they will also be the higher priced items on my table. Everything else will be lots of cards and other items that are not so expensive. The table is $10 so I figure that the experience is worth that if nothing sells. If it goes well, I'll do more for next time.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #128
Cardstock Collector

Having done craft shows in the past - with sweaters and other knitted items, I know how tough and price sensitive the crowds can be. One thing I found useful and am doing myself again this year before jumping back into the scene, is visiting the local shows as a customer and get a feel for the types of things that are being sold, the kinds of prices other vendors are charging and looking at what others are selling and making sure that I would stand out from the crowd.

I had some pretty unique and interested products that would appeal to a small market and after my first show, added in some more "middle of the road" items, that took less time to make and were easy money makers. Taking samples or sample book of some of your higher end items is a great idea. It allows people to see what you have and make orders, without you having to put in tremendous amounts of time beforehand on items that might not sell.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #129
Glitter Queen

Is anyone there? Are you supposed to BAKE the tiles after stamping on them?
Theresa
Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #130
Cardstock Collector

Default many thanks!

Thanks to all of the talented crafters who have taken the time to post here. I am excited about my first craft fair (next month) and just wanted to do a little more research. This is the best thread on the subject!

mandus
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #131
Cardstock Collector

Can anyone tell me where to find directions for stamping on tiles? I would love to sell these at the craft fair near us.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #132
Mad Swapper

Default Tiles

I buy Tumbled Tiles from lowe's for about 32 cents each. I stamp on them with Stazon and coat them with a few layers of Krylon Triple Thick Spray from Michaels'. I don't color my tiles, I use nature stamps and/or quotes. I am curious about coloring the tiles, if anyone has the know how to share. Do you color with a blender pen and use Stazon? or do you do something else? I sell mine 4 for $10.oo and they go well.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Default Coloring tiles

I have colored my tiles with both colored pencils and markers. If you spray with the Krylon after you are done, the color stays on fine and they look great!

Karen in MA
Old 10-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #134
Rubber Obsessor

OK, since I have no idea what is being talked about, regarding the tiles, I will ask. Are these tiles used for coasters, decorations or what? I have made the little 2 x 2 tiles with a clothes pin and magnet, used for notes etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #135
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleegirl

Sarah
This is an awesome idea!! But don't forget to put a couple of " I'm sorry" cards in there. LOL!!!

~With GOD all things are possible ~
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #136
Cardstock Collector

It has been a long time since I did a craft fair, but I found that items priced under $10.00 sold best for me. I always had small priced items so the kids could have something to buy. They always had some money to spend and looked for small type gifts. I have enjoyed reading this thread, it has some great ideas. Glinda
Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #137
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsewell
Here's instructions for my dry erase message boards...I've never posted an attachment so we'll see if this works...
These are sooooo cool. I have a question on the crystal effects - did you just cover the black outline before coloring in, or did you cover the entire image?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #138
Crimping Master

Great ideas!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #139
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone ever sell supplies at shows? Our school is having a fundraiser, and I was going to purchase some tag punches, black and possibly red ink pads, and a few stamp sets. Any suggestions? Also ribbon, that's such a great buy from SU! Maybe tattoo sets. Thanks for any feedback! susanblwhite@aol.com
Old 10-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #140
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanblwhite
Does anyone ever sell supplies at shows? Our school is having a fundraiser, and I was going to purchase some tag punches, black and possibly red ink pads, and a few stamp sets. Any suggestions? Also ribbon, that's such a great buy from SU! Maybe tattoo sets. Thanks for any feedback! susanblwhite@aol.com
This is considered "cash & carry" and we are NOT allowed to do this.

You are allowed to take orders though.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #141
Matboard Maniac

Does anyone know where to look for pictures of the "get well" kits, they sound cute but I can't locate them in the gallery. Thanks for all the great info. ladies, I have an Open House I was invited to this week and there are some things posted here I never thought of!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:25 AM   #142
Cardstock Collector

Hi,
Thanks for replying. This is a great resource as I'm doing my first craft fair in a few weeks. Do you have the tutorial for the microbead pens? If so, could you e-mail it to me? Thanks so much.
Tina
Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #143
Cardstock Collector

Hi,
Do you have a tutorial or instructions for the legal pads with magnets? A lot of people seem to love this, but I've never heard of it. I would really appreciate any advice/help.
Tina
Old 10-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #144
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinajordan
Hi,
Thanks for replying. This is a great resource as I'm doing my first craft fair in a few weeks. Do you have the tutorial for the microbead pens? If so, could you e-mail it to me? Thanks so much.
Tina
If you do a search of the forums, many threads will pop up---but try this one RSVP Pen Directions
Hope that helps.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #145
Gallery Gazer

tinajordan:
I just get the small legal pads at Wal-Mart. They are 10 for $3. I add a CS cover and use those sticky magnets on the back. I sell them for $3 with a matching pen that can be kept in the ribbon loop at the top. I wish I was home so I could post one, but I am "working" right now. lol. I will try to post when I get home later. Good luck in your show.
Tracy
Old 10-26-2006, 04:41 AM   #146
Mad Swapper

Send a message via AIM to Tidbits Send a message via Yahoo to Tidbits

I would like to see a picture of this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyant
tinajordan:
I just get the small legal pads at Wal-Mart. They are 10 for $3. I add a CS cover and use those sticky magnets on the back. I sell them for $3 with a matching pen that can be kept in the ribbon loop at the top. I wish I was home so I could post one, but I am "working" right now. lol. I will try to post when I get home later. Good luck in your show.
Tracy
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #147
Mad Swapper

did my first craft fair of the season yesterday. I did the same location last year in December so I was expecting a HUGE crowd of vendors set up and I was SHOCKED to see only 30 tables set up in the gym. In December, they had the WHOLE gym, library and all the hallways of the school so it was considerably smaller. It was also POURING rain, expected ALL day! I kept a positive attitude though as I was coming with mostly new items than I have set up with before. There were times that there were no one at all and traffic was extremly random, but I did well! I sold $180 AFTER table fee & materials.

Snowman Poop - $1 (sm ziplock bag with topper snowman from Happy Winter) SOLD 11
Christmas Fudge - $1 (snack size bars - learned of this on SCS just last week!) SOLD 16
Stamped Candles - Large $5, Small $2.50 & 2 pk votives $2 (got a great deal on candles!) SOLD 1 Large, 3 Small & 18 votives
Snowman Pins - $1 (round tags with snowman face, hat & Scarf) SOLD 5
Recipe Cards - $3 set SOLD 6
Note Totes - $2.50 SOLD 5
Book Buddy - $5 (people went GAGA over these!) SOLD 16
Paint Cans (small) - $6 SOLD 1
Tag Nugget Holders - $ .50 (Christmas & Halloween) SOLD 23
Triangle Box - $1 (Halloween) SOLD 4
Color me card w/envelope - $1.50 (just discovered these this past month on SCS!) SOLD 16
Card w/envelope- $2 SOLD ONLY 1!

I did my setup a little differently from last year because I have been reading the very informative threads on the tips, etc. I bought a black flat sheet to use as the covering instead of the white lace cloth my mother had given to me and it looked so much sleeker set up on the black.

I also purchased a stand up card rack from ebay that was brand new for only $40! It looked like it held the taller cards, but my cards fit fine and didn't fall out when turned. I am also able to take out a couple of the racks if not needed which worked out great yesterday. It was much easier to view the selection without flipping through a box or containers.

I am pleased to say that I did well considering the low amount of people who attended. I did not do a prize drawing as I have never gotten any leads that way. People are either interested or they are not. I have gotten a couple of people who are interested in buying more items at a later date so I gave them my card. I had plenty of SU bags which I used to put the items in that people purchased. A little added expose for me!

I have many other items for my next shows which are at the end of Nov/beg of Dec. I have 3 BIG fairs, all right in a row! Can't wait!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #148
Glitter Queen

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a book buddy??
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #149
Insane Embellisher

Good for you Bonnie!!

When the husband's away the wife will play...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #150
Mad Swapper

Here is the Book Buddy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...3/IMG_0075.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...3/IMG_0073.jpg
Old 10-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #151
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to HeatherByrne

So did you make different color designed book buddies and where did you get that size of paper and pen.... also what size sheet of CS did you start with? thanks
heather
Old 10-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #152
Mad Swapper

I made all kinds of different colors and used various stamp sets. I found the mini pens at Staples (12 pk for $2) and I used the 2 x 3 post it notes for the paper. I did use half the pad of post it notes.

Supplies:
1 piece of card stock 4.25” x 10.5”, 3 pieces of card stock 2.25” x 4”,SNAIL adhesive, 12” paper trimmer with scoring blade, stamps, ink, 1/8” and 1/16” punches, other decorative punches depending on stamps used, grosgrain ribbon, stampin’ dimensionals, brad, paper clip, small post it notes, other card stock scraps

Directions:

Score 4.25” x 10.5” strip at 2.5”, 5”, 7.5”, and 8”

Decorate bookmark and attach to first panel to the right of the double score lines using a paper clip

Decorate next panel and attach post it notes

Decorate last panel, punch an opening near the top using the horizontal slot punch

Attach this panel using dimensionals and slip mini pen clip through the opening

Decorate front and inside cover panel as desired

Punch hole using 1/8” punch on right side of front cover

Thread ribbon through hole, fold panels inside cover, and tie closed
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #153
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits
I made all kinds of different colors and used various stamp sets. I found the mini pens at Staples (12 pk for $2) and I used the 2 x 3 post it notes for the paper. I did use half the pad of post it notes.

Supplies:
1 piece of card stock 4.25” x 10.5”, 3 pieces of card stock 2.25” x 4”,SNAIL adhesive, 12” paper trimmer with scoring blade, stamps, ink, 1/8” and 1/16” punches, other decorative punches depending on stamps used, grosgrain ribbon, stampin’ dimensionals, brad, paper clip, small post it notes, other card stock scraps

Directions:

Score 4.25” x 10.5” strip at 2.5”, 5”, 7.5”, and 8”

Decorate bookmark and attach to first panel to the right of the double score lines using a paper clip

Decorate next panel and attach post it notes

Decorate last panel, punch an opening near the top using the horizontal slot punch

Attach this panel using dimensionals and slip mini pen clip through the opening

Decorate front and inside cover panel as desired

Punch hole using 1/8” punch on right side of front cover

Thread ribbon through hole, fold panels inside cover, and tie closed
Thanks for sharing the directions for your wonderful project.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #154
Gallery Gazer

Congratulations on your show! It sounds like you did really well. Thanks for all the ideas. Mine is this coming weekend, but it looks like I have more things to try now....book buddies, color me cards, votives....
Old 10-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #155
Mad Swapper

Let us know how your show goes this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyant
Congratulations on your show! It sounds like you did really well. Thanks for all the ideas. Mine is this coming weekend, but it looks like I have more things to try now....book buddies, color me cards, votives....
Old 10-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #156
Matboard Maniac

I just finished a juried craft fair this weekend and made almost $1100.00. My biggest sellers were cards ($2.50 each or 5/$10.00), coaster sets ($15.00/set), christmas ornaments (wooden ones stamped and some that were made from microscope slides ala Ellen Hutson), and my own handmade magnetic poetry. I still have two more sales this season, but I pretty much ran out of stuff this weekend so I am crafting all hours of the night - my darned day job keeps getting in the way!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 AM   #157
Matboard Maniac

This is a great post. It is so interesting to see what sells good in one area does not sell good in another area. My is in a couple weeks so I have no idea what is going to sell good or not. I am hoping everything sells great or I am sold out. Is that wishful thinking??
Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #158
Stazon Splitcoast

Tidbits - congrats on your success, and thank you for sharing the directions for the book buddies - they are great!

I noticed you sold sets of recipe cards too. How many did you sell in a set?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #159
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenfan1
I just finished a juried craft fair this weekend and made almost $1100.00. My biggest sellers were cards ($2.50 each or 5/$10.00), coaster sets ($15.00/set), christmas ornaments (wooden ones stamped and some that were made from microscope slides ala Ellen Hutson), and my own handmade magnetic poetry. I still have two more sales this season, but I pretty much ran out of stuff this weekend so I am crafting all hours of the night - my darned day job keeps getting in the way!
WOW Congrats on a great success! And 2 more to go, I sure hope they go as well for you!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #160
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Carmen,
I have been trying to figure out how to make magnetic poetry words. if you don't mind sharing, how did you make this. I bought sheets of magnetic backing, I have EFP set , I also have xyron magnet sheet. I started making these and couldn't figure out a quick way to cut out the words, then I started thinking(always trouble that!) to make small words and print out on the computer but it always coame down to how long it would take to cut this out. I was going to put thme in an altoid tin (altered) and thought they would be the best seller. So if you don't mind sharing how did you approach.
SuG