Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #6161
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
It depends on which market you are at also. I sold my coffee cup gift card holders for $3 each at one market, dropped them to $2 for another and they still moved slow.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am at the end of my craft show season, and it shows. I was a little grumpy by people who were cheap at the last show. I just wanted to tell them to stop put their darned 15lb purses on top of my paper products, and stop being so damned cheap!! And stop trying to pull the darned chocolate bars out of their sleeves! grrrr.
lol

I do notice alot of young people marketing similar items this year, and I know I will not be able to repeat some of my items because others are going to be copying. It will definitely make me have to be more creative in the future, and come up with unique ideas.

Thank goodness my necklaces are unique enough. Others can copy with similar images, but I make the actual image unique.
I SO agree with you about the purses! That drives me wild! And also about pulling the candy bars out of the sleeves! I used glue dots in a couple of places so the bars won't come out. But I had a couple of women trying their darndest to remove them!!! I tried to nicely take the candy from them & say they aren't meant to come out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #6162
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

the gift card holders, which i thought were self explanatory, mystified people. i also made purse ones that were all occasion. i thought those would be great as purse crazy as everyone seems. i even put my business card in so people saw a card in them. one lady asked me if the card came out, so she could put something else in it. on lady before purchasing a key fob, tugged and pulled and twisted. all of which i did when i made the first one to see how sturdy they were. finally bought one, but said "give me one of your cards, because if this breaks i'm calling you." i know they are sturdy, but i cant guarantee they will last til she dies. mostly people are so nice, but the crabby ones give you something to snicker about later or a challenge to get a smile out of.
Dakotajo likes this post.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #6163
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I was a little grumpy by people who were cheap at the last show. I just wanted to tell them to stop put their darned 15lb purses on top of my paper products, and stop being so damned cheap!! And stop trying to pull the darned chocolate bars out of their sleeves! grrrr.
lol
LOL I so want to do that to people
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #6164
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
i made the prettiest cocoa sliders. they were like little works of art. i bagged them in clear cello. had signage on several out and a sign that said "try me" and i still had to explain it to every. single. person. i did sell them and only have enough left, that i will give them to the ladies in my small group. but garsh. my son said, "offer a free class on how to use them if they buy them" he was tired of hearing my speal. i had little tea and chocolate wallets that sold well and one open and i also had to explain that. i did have several people say that they had never seen my stuff before and took cards and asked what other shows i was doing. it wasnt a huge show in terms of venders but lots of customers. there were 18 jewelry booths. several people asked if my stuff was handmade. this is a trend i was unaware of: lots of venders sell things they buy and then resell, jewelry, hair ornaments, tupperware, home interior, etc. so people were pleasantly surprised that i actually made the things i was selling. too much jewelry, none of those girls did very well.
Can you please share your cocoa sliders?

Yes - I've had that question too "did you make these" and that irritates my hubby so much!! LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #6165
Insane Embellisher

here's a couple of mine
example one

example two

example three

here's one i did for a fall craft fair with cider

i did not sell one cider, but i gave them to a friend who was hosting thanksgiving and she has been very ill, so she put them at each place setting, she's too ill to worry over a pretty table.

i sold them for $3 or two for $5. i guess maybe i could simplify them a bit. but i think they are so pretty.

other ladies, please share yours.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #6166
Matboard Maniac

I did the same thing last year with the cocoa sliders! I was so proud of them! And also had to explain to almost every customer what they were & how they worked.... It took me 3 shows to sell the ones I made. Not this year!

So this year I did flavored coffee, from Nescafe, in a card type fashion, tied with ribbon. I thought, well that's pretty simple. Not! Finally left one open on the table & still had to explain what it was, even with a sign in front of it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #6167
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
here's a couple of mine
example one

example two

example three

i did not sell one cider, but i gave them to a friend who was hosting thanksgiving and she has been very ill, so she put them at each place setting, she's too ill to worry over a pretty table.

i sold them for $3 or two for $5. i guess maybe i could simplify them a bit. but i think they are so pretty.

Those are very pretty! I was going to make some for my next and last show this year, but that's not going to happen. Maybe next year (there's always next year!).

MY GALLERY
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #6168
Insane Embellisher

cookie, did you just opt not to sell them this year or did people retain their knowledge from the on site tutorials last year and buy them this year? one woman said "what'll they think of next?" my husband kind of rolls his eyes at my crafts, but you know what? what does it matter to anyone if i want to make my little corner of the world a little more beautiful? it may brighten someone elses day or it may not, but it brightens mine. my kids and i are gift givers. maybe trinket givers is a better word. even my son. we are always finding little treasures for one another. a magnet or notepad, bookmark, coin purse, bottle opener, a tea cup from goodwill, lots of things. so we would go crazy to stumble upon a booth that sold $3 treasures

somebody quick think of next years great idea. did anyone do the handsanitizer things. i bought the hand sanitizers, but never got the things made.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6169
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post
I did the same thing last year with the cocoa sliders! I was so proud of them! And also had to explain to almost every customer what they were & how they worked.... It took me 3 shows to sell the ones I made. Not this year!

So this year I did flavored coffee, from Nescafe, in a card type fashion, tied with ribbon. I thought, well that's pretty simple. Not! Finally left one open on the table & still had to explain what it was, even with a sign in front of it.
hahahaha
I had the same experience with my hot chocolate packs tucked into the card. I mean, how hard is it to understand what a "hot chocolate treat pack" is??

Did the flavoured coffee ones sell?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #6170
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
diane, do you has a gallery on this site? i couldnt see it. do you have pics of your things else where?
I post most of my pics on my Facebook page. Have a browse there.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #6171
Insane Embellisher

I have learned to make a sample for every single item - even the ones you do not think need one!

I have also noticed with the samples - that people pick it up, look at it, figure out how to close it, then walk away with it closed. I cannot tell you how many times I walk in front of the table to readjust all of my samples...lol

I think I need to learn to use my sewing machine if I want to create something new and interesting for next year.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #6172
Insane Embellisher

i do not have a facebook (i know, i am so five minutes ago) i will ask my son to log onto his and then take a peek.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #6173
Kookie Creator

Quote:
i do not have a facebook (i know, i am so five minutes ago) i will ask my son to log onto his and then take a peek.
Depending how the Facebook page is set up, you may not have to a Facebook account. I have a personal page and a business page. You have to "friend" me to see my personal page, but can look at my business page (My Paper Playground - Oak Creek, WI - Retail and Consumer Merchandise | Facebook) without having an account.

I would encourage all of you that are doing craft fairs (even if you only do one a year) to have a business page and get your name out there. You never know where an order will come from! You can also list the locations of all the fairs you will be attending in the future so people know when and where they can get your awesome creations.

Sharon
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #6174
Insane Embellisher

diane,

i looked at your facebook. very nice. can you let me know the dimensions and score lines, etc. for the hot chocolate card. how do you attach the hot chocolate and the peppermint stick?

also can you point me to directions for the ghiradelli chocolate holder.

and again what the heck are those little pens for post it noted called again and where can i look?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #6175
Matboard Maniac

After reading all the comments about "things customers do and say" here, I thought I would chime in. Until this year, I have only done one show at a local church. It is one day only and the fee is $30, and this was my third year there. I made $375 this year (profit) and was excited since my most expensive item is $6.50. I was invited to do another show at a church who was having their fair for the first time in many years. The fee was $35 for the day. I made $ 48.50 (profit) and felt very lucky to have even made my booth fee, much less a profit. Many people sold nothing and very few that I talked with made their fee. In addition, I had made some new items for this show that I did not have time to make for the first one. The strange thing, though, is that I made a ton of the coffee cup holders for gift cards (looks like a Starbucks cup) for the first sale because I just knew people would love them and buy them all! Ha! I think I sold a total of 5 and almost everyone that looked at them did not understand what they were for. I had a sample. I had a sign that said what they were. At one point, the lady at the table next to me gave me a clean styro cup to put beside it to "help" explain the gift card. The next customer that came up said, "Did you know that someone left their cup on your table? Do you want to put it in the trash?" LOL At the second sale, a lady came up and picked up one of my tissue holders(fabric) and said, "I just made 24 of these, but it was a different pattern." I asked if it was the single piece fold-over one, and she said, "No, it was 4 pieces like this. How much are they?" (I have signs in little acrylic frames in front of everything stating what the item is and the price). I told her $ 2.50 with the tissues. She said, "How much without the tissues?" I said, "$2.50." She bought one and I said, "Now you have a pattern." I knew she was going to copy it, but I was determined that she pay for it! As long as I have written this much, I might as well say that I take my cards every time because I invested in a small table top spinner and have to at least try to sell some. I know that my cards are nice, but they just don't sell. I do not understand it, really. The most I have ever sold was 8-10. I reduced the price to $2 each or 3 for $5, but still no luck. I think I will just stick with the original single show for next year and look for some new and exciting things to add. Believe it or not, I was still able to sell some Build a Bear tins at both shows. I made a ton of them my first year and still have several of them left. I will reduce them next year and hopefully get rid of them. Good luck to those of you with shows left to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #6176
Glitter Guru

Quote:
cookie, did you just opt not to sell them this year or did people retain their knowledge from the on site tutorials last year and buy them this year? one woman said "what'll they think of next?" my husband kind of rolls his eyes at my crafts, but you know what? what does it matter to anyone if i want to make my little corner of the world a little more beautiful? it may brighten someone elses day or it may not, but it brightens mine. my kids and i are gift givers. maybe trinket givers is a better word. even my son. we are always finding little treasures for one another. a magnet or notepad, bookmark, coin purse, bottle opener, a tea cup from goodwill, lots of things. so we would go crazy to stumble upon a booth that sold $3 treasures

somebody quick think of next years great idea. did anyone do the handsanitizer things. i bought the hand sanitizers, but never got the things made.
I did those last year, sold very few, brought them out again this year, still sold none. Lowered the price to $2 at my last show just to get rid of them and sold them! So for me, they weren't worth the time and effort.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #6177
Rubber Obsessor

Ladies,
Great advice and thank you for your willingness to share. I will look for a smaller show to start. I also didn't realize that afternoon would be the quietest time. VERY good information.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #6178
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I wanted to share my one and only craft fair experience. I am a teacher at a small elementary school. I decided this year to have a little craft fair in our teacher's lunchroom. I just set up the items, left a sign-up sheet attached to an envelope for them to put their money. No students are allowed to go into our teacher's room, so I felt like my things were safe. Plus, my room is right across the hall from the teacher's room, so I checked up on things periodically. Well, by the first day I had made $500.00 and was completely sold out with a bunch of orders to fill! I couldn't believe it. I just made the usual things....cocoa holders, hand santizers, lip balm holders, notepad with pens, post-it note holders w/ pens, etc. I priced everything $5.00 or under. The teachers went wild and appreciated having stocking stuffers to buy without having to go shopping. The only negative (not really) is I think this will become an annual event!! If there are any teachers out there....definitely try this for next year. If you are not a teacher, you might talk with the principal at the local school and see if this could be a possibility for you.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #6179
Insane Embellisher

at our church fair someone had made the fabric coffee sleeves, had them on a paper cup filled with shredded bag filler and a $5 starbucks card on top, in a cello bag. so they had the whole give and she sold it for $9. if i do the coffee cup gift card holder next year, i think i will include the starbucks card.

i had to laugh when someone bought the kleenex holder for a pattern. i had a vender come over and get really excited over the purse gift card holder. go get her sister from her booth (selling scentsey or something like it, not crafts) and they were looking at it, whispering to each other (now mind you i am standing not more than 3 feet from them ) they asked if they could take it to their table and bring it right back. their booth is directly across from mine and i see them trying to write instructions and make shift measure things and taking pictures with their phone, i just went over and said, you guys can just take this one, its no big deal. they looked like deer caught in headlights. if they thought they were being subtle they were mistaken. but i thought good lord all any one has to do is do an internet search, there are no big secrets out there.

i wonder if gift card holders are worth it. i saw them a michaels, 2 for $1. not terribly pretty and definately no dimension. people who buy our things are people who think its a cute idea, not because its the best bargain around. nothing beats the $1 bin at michaels, if they go there.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #6180
Kookie Creator

Quote:
did anyone do the handsanitizer things. i bought the hand sanitizers, but never got the things made.

I did these for two years and they didn't move very fast. I took them to the craft sale at work for the first time this year and priced them at $2 to get rid of them. I only had 8 left and of course I then had someone order 20 of them! I had to go buy more! Needless to say I did not make much money on the order but I did get rid of them! lol

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #6181
Pearl-ExPert

Lori - that's funny!!! What BALLS people have to do that. I have bought things for examples and maybe to copy (I have something hanging in my office right now that I bought about 8 years ago to copy and I still haven't done it!) but one should at least buy one if they are going to copy it - not just 'borrow' like that. Crazy. I could never be so bold and rude.

You can tell the ones who buy to copy usually but it doesn't bother me too much, I didn't come up with any of the patterns and for some people (if I kind of know them through sales and they are nice) I will direct them to where I found the pattern. Some I won't, just depends on them really.

I bought hand sanitizers to sell but I never did them and I won't do them up - the ones I have seen done up on these sites are so cute but I just can't see them selling at my fairs. So I will just give them as gifts this Christmas in stockings or whatevers.

My gift card holders sell - I don't know why others wouldn't. I sell them for $1.50 and I won't go down on them. I try to have some simple ones and then some that are a bit more work. I usually have three different designs and I do a lot of them and sell a lot of them.

I am going to do the coffee cup ones (these are flat like a card) but I didn't do them for my sales this year. Was going to do some for this weekend's sale but I don't know if I will get around to it. I think they are a cute idea if you are giving Starbucks types of cards and I do give those as gifts. So at the very least, I have them for that. Although Starbucks gives a cute little bag when you buy the cards (or some sort of holder I think) but mine are cuter!

I am going to do some wine tags though, I think those would sell, not a lot but some would. For this weekend especially because its in a home and people that will come will be people we know (and they know people who give and drink a lot of wine!). Gotta get some of those done, maybe tomorrow!

MY GALLERY
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #6182
Matboard Maniac

No, I haven't done any cocoa this year. Three years ago I got some great Alpine cocoas from Costco & they sold very well. After that I sold the other cocoa packets (can't think of the name, I've seen them on here) & they just didn't go over that well. I was selling mine for $2.

This year I wasn't going to do any drink type items, but then I saw that Nescafe had 3 new flavored coffees. So I sent for a sample & then bought some for home. They are really good. So I decided to sell those. My first show, good sized, at our church, they hardly sold at all. Second show at American Legion & I sold a bunch. So we'll see what happens this weekend. My last show is this weekend & I will probably make up a few. Because whatever is left over is mine!

My husband rolls his eyes at most of my things, too. But I do pretty well at most of my shows, even when other people aren't selling. Most of my items are under $10 & a Lot under $5. And I get very positive comments & return customers to see what's "new" this year. I'm grateful for all the sales I make.

I did have a vendor come to my table on the second day of my last show & start looking at my items. She said she hadn't really "looked" at my stuff before that. She was selling some type of facial product, nothing hand crafted. I guess she does some other type of sales business also. She said how great my stuff would be as little thank you's or door prizes at her get togethers. Then she started asking very direct questions, where do you get your paper, where do you get your shapes (boxes, matchbox styles), who is your vendor for food/drink items. When I told her I bought the paper locally, made the shapes myself & purchased the food/drink items at the store, she just smiled. Then bought almost $20 worth of items, one or two of the smaller items I was selling. I'm thinking she was going to use them as templates....maybe, maybe not. She then invited me to a networking get together. We'll see.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #6183
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
here's a couple of mine
example one

example two

example three

TFS Lori! They're beautiful!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #6184
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post
And also about pulling the candy bars out of the sleeves! I used glue dots in a couple of places so the bars won't come out. But I had a couple of women trying their darndest to remove them!!! I tried to nicely take the candy from them & say they aren't meant to come out!
YES - why do they have to do that ?!?!? I put one out open for sample to show what it is and how it works. Almost every other customer would close that sample and I ask them politely to not worry about that but they don't listen! Then I go back and open it again!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #6185
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Wow...good for you! That's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Hess View Post
I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I wanted to share my one and only craft fair experience. I am a teacher at a small elementary school. I decided this year to have a little craft fair in our teacher's lunchroom. I just set up the items, left a sign-up sheet attached to an envelope for them to put their money. No students are allowed to go into our teacher's room, so I felt like my things were safe. Plus, my room is right across the hall from the teacher's room, so I checked up on things periodically. Well, by the first day I had made $500.00 and was completely sold out with a bunch of orders to fill! I couldn't believe it. I just made the usual things....cocoa holders, hand santizers, lip balm holders, notepad with pens, post-it note holders w/ pens, etc. I priced everything $5.00 or under. The teachers went wild and appreciated having stocking stuffers to buy without having to go shopping. The only negative (not really) is I think this will become an annual event!! If there are any teachers out there....definitely try this for next year. If you are not a teacher, you might talk with the principal at the local school and see if this could be a possibility for you.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #6186
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Mary, your staff room sales was a great idea that worked well! Congrats!! (I know my kids' former school staff room is constantly visited by students and parents, generally unsupervised, so it wouldn't be possible there.) I'd be happy to do a full-on craft show with that kind of result, so if it becomes an annual event, I say grab the opportunity with both hands!!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #6187
Hardware Hotshot

I was thinking that for next year I'm going to do salt dough ornaments. I'll use my stamps and inks for them, and put a cute little bow on them, maybe a bell (still with the bell obsession), but at all of the other booths were I were tree ornaments sold EXTREMELY well. Especially ones with a Labrador theme (that's where I live). I had a set of stamps made with the Labrador flag and an inukshuk, so I think I'll give them a shot. I figure I don't have anything to lose except my time since all the ingredients for those ornaments are in my kitchen anyway, and I already have the stamps and ink. I have a whole year to come up with designs. I think at $2 each they'd be a cute little item that people might buy. I think a lot of people were buying that theme to send to family members living away. So we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #6188
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post
I was thinking that for next year I'm going to do salt dough ornaments. I'll use my stamps and inks for them, and put a cute little bow on them, maybe a bell (still with the bell obsession), but at all of the other booths were I were tree ornaments sold EXTREMELY well. Especially ones with a Labrador theme (that's where I live).
Good idea! You will have to let us know how that goes.
At one of my local shows, I bought a dough ornament. I was little balls of coloured dough put together to make faces of each member of my family. Hard to describe but very cute. Looks like alot of detail work...which is why I bought it instead of making it!! lol
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #6189
Pearl-ExPert

I got an ornament one year, that had ball dough people and pets on a wooden tree - they were all done up and the customer picked the person/animal and made the ornament for their family. It was cute. But you would need to assemble it at the fair, she put names on it too but just with a sharpie. And they were just really faces. Very cute idea.

MY GALLERY
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #6190
Glitter Guru

I am done with this year's shows and entered all my info into my spread sheet and still so surprised at what sells and what doesn't...each show is so different. YOu can never predict and thats what makes it fun, but frustrating! Once again, m&m sticks, hershey bar snowman, snowman tealights and gift card purses sold out....but everything else was hit and miss at each show. Some things sold well, but not completely.
Kissmas Trees...made 12 sold 8
Frap Santa bottles with Tootsie Rolls---made 18, sold 12
Bookmark Jumbo paperclips-made 30, sold 20
post it note holders-made 12, sold 6
Cards-sold quite a few of my Christmas cards....I think the bulk pricing helped
Wine Tags-made 16, sold 8
Frames-made 12 sold 8
I had a few other things that just didn't do well at all, but oh well. Kinda glad the season is over, would like to be more on track next year, but I say that every year, LOL!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #6191
Rubber Obsessor

Default sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
Kissmas Trees...made 12 sold 8
Frap Santa bottles with Tootsie Rolls---made 18, sold 12
Bookmark Jumbo paperclips-made 30, sold 20
post it note holders-made 12, sold 6
Cards-sold quite a few of my Christmas cards....I think the bulk pricing helped
Wine Tags-made 16, sold 8
Frames-made 12 sold 8
If you look at it this way, the sales weren't bad:

Kissmas trees, Frap santa, bookmark jumbo clips, frames - 66% sold
post it notes, wine tags - 50% sold

I had my last sale of the year yesterday and it stunk. But I'm having to have it behind me and hope I can find some spring shows to sell at.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #6192
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I have learned to make a sample for every single item - even the ones you do not think need one!

I have also noticed with the samples - that people pick it up, look at it, figure out how to close it, then walk away with it closed. I cannot tell you how many times I walk in front of the table to readjust all of my samples...lol

I think I need to learn to use my sewing machine if I want to create something new and interesting for next year.
Lovely items!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #6193
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I have now finished my stalls for this year. Mostly have been VERY disappointing results for all the effort. Did a 'handmade only' market on Saturday evening, and was pleased with the results. Booth cost $40, I sold about $130, my friend about $45. That's actually better than I normally do. Nothing to write home about, but I did find the 'handmade only' class of customers were much better than those we usually find when we sell at places with a mix of 2nd hand and assorted stuff. We may need to try a more expensive, more exclusive type of markets next year. It is a hobby, but for the effort and cost, you do like to see better results consistently, KWIM!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #6194
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
If you look at it this way, the sales weren't bad:

Kissmas trees, Frap santa, bookmark jumbo clips, frames - 66% sold
post it notes, wine tags - 50% sold

I had my last sale of the year yesterday and it stunk. But I'm having to have it behind me and hope I can find some spring shows to sell at.
Thanks for the perspective! You are right, Idid well, you just hate to have candy left over (well my DH and sons love it, LOL).
I signed up for three shows already in March and April, so planning for that now. I figured I need a little change from Christmas stuff, so anything new may help me break out of my rut, right?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #6195
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I have now finished my stalls for this year. Mostly have been VERY disappointing results for all the effort. Did a 'handmade only' market on Saturday evening, and was pleased with the results. Booth cost $40, I sold about $130, my friend about $45. That's actually better than I normally do. Nothing to write home about, but I did find the 'handmade only' class of customers were much better than those we usually find when we sell at places with a mix of 2nd hand and assorted stuff. We may need to try a more expensive, more exclusive type of markets next year. It is a hobby, but for the effort and cost, you do like to see better results consistently, KWIM!
Sorry to hear you are disappointed...consistent results are what keep us going, right?
I agree with you on the hand-made craft shows...I find that the tag sale/flea market types aren't really a good fit for us. Everyone there is looking for cheap finds and don't want to pay for hand made. Vendor shows work well for me, though, cause I think people are happy to actually get something made, instead of ordering or picking up already made. Sometimes we have to pay a little more for the table to get more back, but that is a hard choice when you don't know the show, KWIM?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #6196
Insane Embellisher

i stopped going to craft shows a few years back, i got tired of seeing the same things over and over. some of it i swear had dust on it! so doing two show this year, i was surprised to see venders. i would say 50%. some people were surprised that i actually made what i was selling.

i passed on a show because of the entrance fee $130. its always well attended and the only one i regularly go to. its in an abandoned brewery downtown along the river. they use it now for wedding receptions, etc. its all handmades, open bar, 4 to 10pm. different group of people---ones who believe in the arts and want to see our downtown survive. the vender i talked to was selling handmade bags, but the average price was $10 and she said within 90 minutes she had made her rental fee back. and they had no paper crafters this year. i think i missed the boat on that one. beautiful, old space, cocktails, ladies who lunch crowd equals success!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #6197
Glitter Queen

Looking for input. I just dipped my toe back into the craft fair circut in the past month. The first one was at a church and I did great in the 9-5 time frame. I did another at the local mall, Friday Sat and Sunday , and didn't come close to the sales in the three days that I did in the first one. My thought is when people "go to the craft fair" they are looking to purchase crafts, but people who go to the mall, aren't ... Anyone else have any experience with this? What are your thoughts?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #6198
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Dianna, I have no experience with selling at a mall, but my thinking is that people not out to buy handcrafted goodness, generally don't. I did a flea market in the past. People were there to buy junk, and craft just didn't interest most of them. Last weekend, the people at the handmade market knew what to expect, and were much better buyers!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #6199
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
diane,

i looked at your facebook. very nice. can you let me know the dimensions and score lines, etc. for the hot chocolate card. how do you attach the hot chocolate and the peppermint stick?

also can you point me to directions for the ghiradelli chocolate holder.

and again what the heck are those little pens for post it noted called again and where can i look?
I don't have dimensions as I sold all of my hot chocolate packs. I usually just come up with them as I make them depending on the hot choc size or the plastic sleeve I want to use. It is just a piece of paper folded in half. The stick is adhered with my ATG glue gun - just a little piece to make it stick.

Ghirardelli holders:
procrastistamper: Ghirardelli® Chocolate Square Holder Tutorial

Mini gel pens - I find them at my local dollar store.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #6200
Rubber Obsessor

Yeah I think sometimes people are looking for homemade and the mall market isn't really geared towards us hand crafters. I think some people like handmade because they know it's an original and it's great for those who are hard to buy for. Same for flea markets - they want cheap, cheap. Does anyone have any experience with farmer's markets?