Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #6121
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh and forgot to add that last year I had requests fr Thanksgiving favors ideal for place settings. I made them with the Fancy Favors die, started with 30, and only 1 left, mostly because it got smashed. Sold for $1.50 each.

And lastly Popcorn holders, a box of 36 for $6 at Bjs sold for $1.50 sold out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #6122
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL I just got a call.....I am now doing a show Dec 1st as well!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #6123
Rubber Obsessor

Way to go Gina! There's nothing like the high from a successful show. I have one lined up for Dec. 8th but I'm hoping to do one between now and then if I can find one.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #6124
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
Way to go Gina! There's nothing like the high from a successful show. I have one lined up for Dec. 8th but I'm hoping to do one between now and then if I can find one.
LOL Let's see if I still feel that way next week!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #6125
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Today was my BIG show. It was pretty successful!
Gina - it sounds like you did great. Congrats!!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #6126
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
After looking at the tutorial, I notice the back of the tree is open. I wonder if the candy would tend to fall out? I may try to make a little back piece in the shape of the triangle and attach it somehow.
I made these yesterday and found that the Kisses fit into the tree really tightly so they won't fall out unless shaken. However, if you're planning to put these out at a sale, a backing or packaging could prove helpful.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #6127
Matboard Maniac

Wonderful news! Good luck for next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #6128
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Thank you for sharing this cute project. I have a question. Do they really stand up, or are they a bit top heavy?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #6129
Pearl-ExPert

Gina, you rock! Congrats on the sales. Looks like lots of people are doing good on the sales this year. Gina, I know you have told us this before but what is a spa sock cupcake. I looked on your blog but didn't find one to look at. Can you share??

MY GALLERY
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #6130
Pearl-ExPert

Congratulations Gina on your awesome sales!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #6131
Insane Embellisher

Well one three day fair overwith. I am going to rethink this venue for next year. I did make only $7.00 less than last year. I sold my cards for 4.00 each, regular and christmas. I think that the people attending this fair were not there to buy just to look. 38 regular cards and 33 christmas cards. I have a school based fair this friday and saturday and will make more regular cards to add to my mix. I also have my friends paper crafted items. I thought her stuff was reasonable and very cute. She only sold just over 130.00 for the three days. Grinch pills, snowman belly buttons, reindeer noses, mrs claus kisses that were $2.00 each. paper made tea cups and coffee mugs for 5.50 or 2 for 10.00. Some incredible pop up Christmas cards for 10.00 each.

I hope for a better "buying" crowd coming up.

Lorri
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #6132
Rubber Obsessor

Default craft shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri.V. View Post
Well one three day fair overwith. I am going to rethink this venue for next year. I did make only $7.00 less than last year. I sold my cards for 4.00 each, regular and christmas.

Lorri
Lorri,
Do you sell anything but cards? I found if that's all I sold, I didn't get nearly as many sales and many times barely made my booth fee back.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #6133
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Gina....whoo hoo!! Great job! Saw on the other post your pics of the items.....SO cute!!

I'm kind of shocked that they charged 20% of your profit. Great if you dont sell anything, bad if you sell a lot! ha ha....well, not really cuz we all want to sell a lot. I like to know "up front" what a booth is going to cost me.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #6134
Insane Embellisher

Dianneo, I make and sell cards at two farmers' markets during the season, I plan on adding in another in 2013. I do not enjoy making other items really so yes I am only a card maker. I did bring home 400.00 for three days and during the season if I sell 10 cards that is a great day. This is my hobby as I am fortunate to have a hubby that brings in good money. I get caught up in the "selling" and forget that my goal this season was to just have a great time and find the positive in the day.

Lorri
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #6135
Insane Embellisher

I am just thinking that maybe people were stuck on the $7.00 less than last year. But that was 397.00 for three days of selling my $4.00 cards.

I am gearing up for a two day sale today at a local high school. It has been going for more than 20 years and is usually well attended. Hopefully with many people that have yet to see my wonderful cards.

Lorri
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #6136
Insane Embellisher

I have found that all of my sales are done about 10-20% at each show. Other vendors are stating a similar sentiment. It makes me grateful for making so many crafts, because I still am able to make a profit.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #6137
Insane Embellisher

So in the end this craft sale made me 160.00 and my friend 80.00. Attendance was down. Too many craft sales on the same day. Watching people just walk up and down the aisles not even looking at some tables. I still took away the positive of meeting some nice customers and customers that took my card an information about the farmers markets I am in during the summer months. Also met some wonderful vendors that made me glad to be there and to give back.

Lorri

Three more one day sales to go.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #6138
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
Thank you for sharing this cute project. I have a question. Do they really stand up, or are they a bit top heavy?

I've made a whole bunch of these cute little trees, and they really do stand up well. The nuggets in the bottom make them very secure. I also found that wrapping the ribbon around the tree before you attach the base tightens the whole tree up, and the candies don't want to fall out at all.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #6139
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Gina....whoo hoo!! Great job! Saw on the other post your pics of the items.....SO cute!!

I'm kind of shocked that they charged 20% of your profit. Great if you dont sell anything, bad if you sell a lot! ha ha....well, not really cuz we all want to sell a lot. I like to know "up front" what a booth is going to cost me.
Thank you!! There is a "cap" for what you have to give. The 20% does hurt a bit, but the business it brings to me is worth it! I already know I will be back there next year, and I do have people that special ordered items from me (that more then made up the 20%) so it worked out for me.

Also I wanted to add...I met a lady who asked me to do 2 more events through Quest Cares,I may have already mentioned this. One is tomorrow and another on Saturday. Well that turned into a third event with them on December 13th! I got an official contract for it the other day. After that...I am taking a break!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #6140
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Gina, you rock! Congrats on the sales. Looks like lots of people are doing good on the sales this year. Gina, I know you have told us this before but what is a spa sock cupcake. I looked on your blog but didn't find one to look at. Can you share??
Sorry I have been MIA....
It's one of those fuzzy slipper socks rolled up to look like a cupcake and I added a red pom pom! I did hang one sample sock out for all to see. Before that none sold, afterwards, they all sold and I got a few special orders!
Attached Thumbnails
oaks_spa-socks.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #6141
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
It's one of those fuzzy slipper socks rolled up to look like a cupcake and I added a red pom pom! I did hang one sample sock out for all to see. Before that none sold, afterwards, they all sold and I got a few special orders!
Oh my gosh! These are so cute!!
details pleeezze!
Where did you buy the socks, are they adult socks, is that a mug they are sitting in, and how much did you sell them for??
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #6142
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, I'm with Diane on this one Gina - cute cute cute but more details (cause you have nothing better to do!!!!!).

I have one last small sale next weekend, at a friend's house. Bringing left overs, key fobs, small snowmen bars, magnets and gift card holders.

I made some of the super cute snowmen out of tea lights (with box) that Inking Idaho had on her blog. Way easy and very cute.

I'm going to do bigger snowmen with mitten hats with candy and popcorn.

Coffee cup gift card holders

Maybe some wine tags (cause these gals are drinkers!!)

And cards - she wanted cards so I have cards to sell/bring.

Won't get rich off of this one but hope to make something. My left overs can be used for gifts so that is all good.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #6143
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Oh my gosh! These are so cute!!
details pleeezze!
Where did you buy the socks, are they adult socks, is that a mug they are sitting in, and how much did you sell them for??
Okay so....I visited a local Wawa where a gal I know works. She let me take some of her cardboard things that you put around a coffee cup (to keep from burning your fingers) I took it apart traced on heavy paper, cut out and hot glued together. Easy peasy! The pom poms are hot glued to toothpicks.

The ones in that picture are adult size socks which I got on clearance at M's for $0.50. The kids ones (which is cut off in the picture, but they are the striped ones) were on clearance for $0.25 and I stuck the pom pom to a dumdum lollipop.

Sentiments were done on my computer.

I charged $3 for them. I sold at least 40 of them at the one show. And I could have sold more if I had more with me!

Again I did hang a pair of each type of sock so folks could see what was inside. Once I did that, they sold like hot cakes!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #6144
Polyshrink Goddess

Had a show yesterday, it was so-so, but still made more money then if I had gone to work for the day (actually more then twice what I would have made). Another show tomorrow! So I have to get crafting!!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #6145
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

i had a show yesterday and made a little over $200. more than i would have made at work, also. still do not know if i am in love with doing shows. it was only my second one ever, last one for the year. i sold lots of hershy bar snowmen. best seller by far. i made the prettiest cocoa sliders. they were like little works of art. i bagged them in clear cello. had signage on several out and a sign that said "try me" and i still had to explain it to every. single. person. i did sell them and only have enough left, that i will give them to the ladies in my small group. but garsh. my son said, "offer a free class on how to use them if they buy them" he was tired of hearing my speal. i had little tea and chocolate wallets that sold well and one open and i also had to explain that. i did have several people say that they had never seen my stuff before and took cards and asked what other shows i was doing. it wasnt a huge show in terms of venders but lots of customers. there were 18 jewelry booths. several people asked if my stuff was handmade. this is a trend i was unaware of: lots of venders sell things they buy and then resell, jewelry, hair ornaments, tupperware, home interior, etc. so people were pleasantly surprised that i actually made the things i was selling. too much jewelry, none of those girls did very well.

where do you find the spa socks so cheap? i cannot find them at the dollar store for that cheap. i want the ones with sticky on the bottom. i have all hard floors and i would go sailing in the others. such a cute cute idea.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #6146
Rubber Obsessor

Lori - although you had to explain your items, you were being a saleswoman and you sold them. That's what's important! I did that at my last show and my sales went well. So I had to explain and it wasn't as fun for me, but the $$ made it worthwhile!

Sounds like nearly everyone is having good luck with shows this year. My next one is next weekend. Hope it goes well! Good luck to everyone this weekend.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #6147
Polyshrink Goddess

Another good show today! Although i really think we would have done better if there were more signs up. The signs that were up went up at about 8 AM today (show was 9-2). It was the first year for this show though, so all in all not too bad. Also the proceeds went to the American Cancer Society, so it was for a good cause. Met lots of great ladies at the show today, and some very nice contacts.

I too find I have to explain things, but that's okay! That means your ideas are ORIGINALS and cant be found just any place.

The spa socks were on clearance at Michael's that is not their every day price. You should always check out their clearance items! I had been watching them to see when they went on sale. And I will keep watching for the ones they have out now to go on clearance. BUT THEY do NOT have the sticky on the bottom of them!!!

Off to rest...losing my voice.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #6148
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
The spa socks were on clearance at Michael's that is not their every day price. You should always check out their clearance items! I had been watching them to see when they went on sale. And I will keep watching for the ones they have out now to go on clearance. BUT THEY do NOT have the sticky on the bottom of them!!!
I have never seen the aps socks at Michael's before?!? What section would they be in?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6149
Insane Embellisher

Default PUNCH QUESTION

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask the sizes of your punch combo?
Is that the 2 inch scallop, 1 3/4 circle and 1 1/2 circle?
I need to buy some more plain circle punches. None of mine seem to shadow as good as what yours look like there.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #6150
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I have never seen the aps socks at Michael's before?!? What section would they be in?
The spa socks were in with the..geez I dont know what to call it. Fun Finds maybe? All the items are 1, 2 or 3 dollars. 1/2 of it is usually kids (thats where the striped toe socks came from for the kids cupcakes) and then the other half "adults" they also had manicure sets, sleep masks, gel eye masks, nail files, back massagers etc. I also bought a bunch of the manicure sets, and also sets for little girls, but I didnt get around to doing anything with those this year. But I will for next year for sure!

The punches are Stampin Up's scallop circle (not sure the size of it though-not the biggest one) then the circles I used on that I believe were 1 1/4 and 1 3/8. Are you able to find a SU demo in BC??
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #6151
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask the sizes of your punch combo?
Is that the 2 inch scallop, 1 3/4 circle and 1 1/2 circle?
I need to buy some more plain circle punches. None of mine seem to shadow as good as what yours look like there.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the santa sleigh with chocolate!! Any chance you'll share the dimensions for the cardstock part of the sleigh????
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #6152
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the santa sleigh with chocolate!! Any chance you'll share the dimensions for the cardstock part of the sleigh????
Sure....once I find it underneath all of the stuff buried in my table from craft show stuff! lol
It was a printed template I found with my craft stuff. NO idea where I got it from originally. Super easy though. I think I cut 4 per 12x12 page also.

Feel free to remind me about it if I don't get back to you within a week or so.

There did sell well..once I found the right price point. Started at $5, then $4, and finally they moved quickly at $3. The lifesavers were glued onto a mini clothespin peg to make a little tree which elevated the candy.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #6153
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Diane!

It's hard sometimes to figure out prices! I tried marking up my gift card holders to $1.50 each or 2/$2. Didnt sell one. Marked back down to $1 and sold about 20! It doesnt make much sense especially since folks were buying more then 1 anyway!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #6154
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Thanks Diane!

It's hard sometimes to figure out prices! I tried marking up my gift card holders to $1.50 each or 2/$2. Didnt sell one. Marked back down to $1 and sold about 20! It doesnt make much sense especially since folks were buying more then 1 anyway!
It depends on which market you are at also. I sold my coffee cup gift card holders for $3 each at one market, dropped them to $2 for another and they still moved slow.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am at the end of my craft show season, and it shows. I was a little grumpy by people who were cheap at the last show. I just wanted to tell them to stop put their darned 15lb purses on top of my paper products, and stop being so damned cheap!! And stop trying to pull the darned chocolate bars out of their sleeves! grrrr.
lol

I do notice alot of young people marketing similar items this year, and I know I will not be able to repeat some of my items because others are going to be copying. It will definitely make me have to be more creative in the future, and come up with unique ideas.

Thank goodness my necklaces are unique enough. Others can copy with similar images, but I make the actual image unique.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #6155
Insane Embellisher

diane, do you has a gallery on this site? i couldnt see it. do you have pics of your things else where?

i made my snowmen sleeves longer and used sticky tape and then my crimper. it gives them a very finished look, but then some people would say "what are hershey bar snowmen?" and proceed to tap or start to bend them.

i have been to craft shows for years as a customer and i've never seen anything in the way of papercrafts except cards. and mostly photo cards. a lady near me did the most exquiste iris folding cards, just beautiful for $5, she did not sell one. when i was at target last night i was looking at cards and the prettier ones were $8 and they will sell them.

i do think i am going to spend sometime thinking of a grand idea for next year.

i have tons of the webbing keyfobs. mine have the ribbon sewn on, not just ironed on. they sell on etsy for an average of $8, i had them for $5. i love mine. the people who've bought them tell me they love them. one lady took my card and came to my house and bought more for her friends. i laid my keys on the table so people got the idea and still it was very confusing for most people. i think i am taking them to my hair dresser she puts little things in her space.

now i have to make my own christmas cards!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #6156
Matboard Maniac

Ladies, after reading your success stories, I'm thinking of taking the chance and enteringa craft fair. I went to one this weekend to scope it out for the future. It's a 3 day sales, Friday, Sat, and Sun 9-4 and 10-4. I went at 130 in the afternoon on Sat. There were tons of jewlery vendors (i'd say 10 of the 40 vendors), and not a single paper crafter. There were a bunch of Scarf vendors--some crochet, some didn't appear handmade at all. Most of the times didn't seem handmade which was surprising to me. OK, so onto what I'd like advice about. The entry fee is $89.00 for the three days, and the company arranging the event stated that 3,000-5,000 people attend. I saw nowhere near that amount, and the people I saw weren't buying. The vendors looked and acted bored. Is it worth a try to not have competition? It sounds like that is important in selling items. Advice? Thoughts on where a newbie should start?

I make cards, candy items, scarves, scrapbooks, page layouts, paper bag albumbs, and 3-d items.

Thank you for any advice!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #6157
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chendrickson View Post
Ladies, after reading your success stories, I'm thinking of taking the chance and enteringa craft fair. I went to one this weekend to scope it out for the future. It's a 3 day sales, Friday, Sat, and Sun 9-4 and 10-4. I went at 130 in the afternoon on Sat. There were tons of jewlery vendors (i'd say 10 of the 40 vendors), and not a single paper crafter. There were a bunch of Scarf vendors--some crochet, some didn't appear handmade at all. Most of the times didn't seem handmade which was surprising to me. OK, so onto what I'd like advice about. The entry fee is $89.00 for the three days, and the company arranging the event stated that 3,000-5,000 people attend. I saw nowhere near that amount, and the people I saw weren't buying. The vendors looked and acted bored. Is it worth a try to not have competition? It sounds like that is important in selling items. Advice? Thoughts on where a newbie should start?

I make cards, candy items, scarves, scrapbooks, page layouts, paper bag albumbs, and 3-d items.

Thank you for any advice!
OKAY here is my two cents...
  • The $89 divided over 3 days, isn't that bad. A lot of shows now charge in the $20-$40 range, so this is about normal, and would compare to you doing 3 different shows.
  • A LOT of shows have too many jewlers, and I am sorry if that offends anyone here. A number of the shows I went to this year limited their jewlery stands. I think this is a wise move since a. if everyone is selling the "same" thing, so one is going to make money and b. that frees up the tables for other crafters.
  • Unfortunatly I have heard form people at craft shows that too often they allow non-craft items. ie (again not to offend anyone) Pampered Chef, Scentsy, Avon, Tupperware..etc. Saturday I was next to a Miche bag seller. What is crafty about that..I dont know. Anyway this helps me sometimes I feel. Because people looking for real hand crafted items skip those tables! This could also be the reason for the vendors standing around looking bored!
  • I dont always sell a lot of cards. Actually out of the 5 or 6 shows I actually had room to put them out, I only sold 6. Now that isn't always the case! Sometimes I sell quite a few cards. I think you just have to get the right person. That's why I started venturing out into 3D land. But i do see you have other items as well, so that is good.
  • FILL YOUR TABLE! I was at a show with two ladies both selling cards on Saturday (I didnt put my cards out that day) they had a few cards scattered here and there. Neither sold a card. So their $20 table fee earned them nothing. I did talk to the one gal, who said it was her first show. I gave her some friendly advice. She was making one card at a time and geting bored. I told her she needed to do an assembly line. But to not get discouraged either. The other woman gave me the cold shoulder. She really would have been mad if I had my cards out!

And lastly...dont expect to get rich at your first show! I have been doing shows for 4 years. Last year was the first year I was excited about the money I made at a show (over $700 between 2 shows) this year I am doing(or have done) 4 times the shows, and I am already at twice that amount. So dont give up!!!! If you want to try a smaller show first, that may be wise. That way you can see what sells and what doesn't, what you should make more or less of, etc. A three day show is a pretty big place to start. There are times I am overwhelmed by a 1 day show! If you get burned out on your first show....you wont do another one!!! Maybe a local church/school etc has shows this year?? Then you have 11 months to prep for the next year! I will be starting to prep (non-food items) in January for my 2013 shows.

Whatever you decide...best of luck!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #6158
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh PS..the 3,000 - 5,000 people could be over the three days.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #6159
Pearl-ExPert

Scoping out the craft show in the afternoon of the second day might not be the best way to see what traffic they really get. My shows (even then ones where I do really well at) are busy in the morning, not so busy noonish and then for some reason, right before we close up it gets busy again. But afternoon is usually the slowest time for me in any of my sales.

Diane - I get what you are saying about being grumpy and grumpy and rude customers. Morning (and I'm NOT a morning person) I am talking to customers, they are talking back, we have fun. Afternoon (especially when I'm 'done' with the sale - no customers for a long time - I don't banter as much. And we all sure get our share of rude customers for sure. Moving my stuff, chatting in front of my table (I usually get up and go around the table to rearrange and then they HAVE to move!).

Mostly though I have fun and they have fun and are really nice.

It does get OLD though to EXPLAIN things over and over. Key fobs - if they had someone 'young' with them then they got it. If not, well one thought it was a dog collar and we laughed at that. The purses that the lip balm goes in, or even the candy items, some just didn't get it. The worst though was gift card holders. I had done some with a belly band and explained to everyone how it worked. So then I took one apart, took the band off, had it laying open but people kept putting it back together. Everytime I took it apart, someone would look at them and put it back together. Crazy!

I have my small one this weekend and then done! And I need to get Christmas presents done too! Yikes.

But I will have a plan for next year in place and ready to go in January - I'm done with this last minute stuff. And I'm going to try to do more sales in Nov and December. Mine are in October and first weekend of November and then usually I'm done. I think things would sell better closer to Christmas. Just need to start looking right now for those sales and keep them in mind for contact next year. Planning - not my strong point!

MY GALLERY
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #6160
Insane Embellisher

my goodness i just reread my previous post---i sound illiterate. i should have had my coffee first. i dont feel like i could do a 3 day show, probably not even a 2 day show. i have too many other commitments. some of our shows run upwards of $200 to $350 for the 2 and 3 day shows. i have stuck with the smaller shows. only one day. one was $20 and one was $15. i simply cant afford not to make at least my booth rental--not in my budget.

the other thing i really struggle with is how much to make of any one item.

i'd love to think of a simple idea and rent an extra table and let people do a make and take for free. so many people think they are not creative and i love to share something that people can do and they feel so proud of themselves.