Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #6081
Polyshrink Goddess

I was going to state also that it is illegal in some states to post a minimum charge amount. Having a background in retail AND banking, I always like to point that out when I see a retailer that has this posted.

Drying out from Sandy. We were without power, and my kids' school and my work are also power-less. Kids went back to school with no power today--which is a sore subject, and were sent home at 12:30. They will most likely do this the rest of the week until power is restored. Not sure if my work will be open tomorrow, or if it will be day 4 of no pay. BUT it could be a lot worse! So I am thankful for that! The upside, when my power came on I was able to get some crafting done. And I worked on coloring images I need for items up until I could no longer see. The downside...I think we lost our desktop computer. We cant get it to turn on. When out power did go on, none of the outlets in our kitchen worked. I went to try the dryer to see if it was a circut, and everything in the kitchen worked. I stopped the dryer, and it all went back out! Weirdest thing! I wanted to make hot water and had to go start the dryer first! LOL But anyway it is fixed now. Still thousands of families in the area without power...keeping all effected by Sandy in my prayers!

Also the rescheduled Halloween for this coming Saturday evening. There are so many power lines down, and trees down, that they decided it wasnt safe for the kids. Also, with no power in neighborhoods, there are no lights, making visibility worse then normal! I never heard of resceduling Halloween, so hopefully come Saturday there will be people handing out candy. The kids were so disappointed tonight.

Last edited by GRKIDDO; 10-31-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #6082
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Also the rescheduled Halloween for this coming Saturday evening. There are so many power lines down, and trees down, that they decided it wasnt safe for the kids. Also, with no power in neighborhoods, there are no lights, making visibility worse then normal! I never heard of resceduling Halloween, so hopefully come Saturday there will be people handing out candy. The kids were so disappointed tonight.
Glad you are safe and sound.

Some areas do reschedule it annually. We were driving across US during Halloween one year before I had kids and the town we were in was having trick or treating on the weekend.

In our area, they are talking about having Halloween on the Saturday before Oct. 31st. I think it is a good idea.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #6083
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Nancy...totally going to do this! I actually decided to have most of my treats priced at $3 each or 4 for $10. I decided that since I got the Square to accept credit/debit cards this year, I was going to make a minimum purchase of $10 to use a cc. I also want to promote more purchasing! LOL

I have 50 snowman candy bars, 28 snowman popcorn packets (with gloves as their hats! cute!!), 20 snowmen Lifesavers. I only do 2 shows now a year and one is next weekend and one is Dec. 1st so I focus mainly on Christmas items. If I sell out at the first show, great...I can always make more. If not, then I'll already have things made for the second show. Either way, win/win! Unless they don't sell at all and I have to eat all that stuff. Then yikes!
I made my snowmen out of all different types of candy bars because I was able to buy full size candy bars at 6 for $1.00. The store had a display with coupons and a buy one get one free sale. I did my first show and people loved the variety- I had the hats and scarves in separate baskets for each size candy bar (ended up with two hat sizes fitting all the bars) and they just picked a candy bar, a hat/scarf set and I fixed it up for them. It was a huge hit.
Judi
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #6084
Pearl-ExPert

Gina - I'm glad you are safe and sound and didn't get too destroyed in that storm. I watched it from my home in Wisconsin and was just amazed at what was going on. We had flooding here in our area in June and it was horrible, but no way near what happened in your area. But its scary and costly and very overwhelming.

We lost power during one of our storms in June and you forget how much you rely on electricity. Everything I tried to do I needed power for it. My brain was just not working. I thought about watching tv, oh yeah no power. Then I thought, well I'll just put in a dvd then - ummm still no power. Even crafting was hard - I kept turning on my light and wondering why it wouldn't work! Duh!

I thought about the trick or treaters out there - kids get so excited for that day and to have it not happen is tough on them. But they will get their candy, just later.

Where my daughter lives in WI they do trick/treating the Sunday before - during a set time. I like that idea, its during the day, you (usually) aren't hurrying home to get a kid ready or to pass out candy, we the candy givers can see the kids costumes. But we tried that where I live and it didn't go over well. People complained that it wasn't on the set day, and then we had tons more kids - we are on the border for MN and had lots of MN cars coming down our street with kids. I don't know if they 'double dipped' since they didn't change their day or if they just liked the idea. But we gave away loads of candy that year. And then they didn't do it like that again.

Oh well, I hope everyone is getting ready for their sales. I have another one this Saturday and I'm restocking some items. I should have worked harder earlier this week on stuff but I just kind of ran out of energy to do it. But I'll get it done, one way or another. This one is a good sale for me, lots of people and vendors and they actually spend money at the sales! Good luck everyone!

MY GALLERY
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #6085
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
I made my snowmen out of all different types of candy bars because I was able to buy full size candy bars at 6 for $1.00. The store had a display with coupons and a buy one get one free sale. I did my first show and people loved the variety- I had the hats and scarves in separate baskets for each size candy bar (ended up with two hat sizes fitting all the bars) and they just picked a candy bar, a hat/scarf set and I fixed it up for them. It was a huge hit.
Judi

Thats a good idea to keep the hats separate and let them decide the candy bar and hat/scarf. I usually just buy plain Hershey since so many people have nut allergies. And I actually ran into someone last sale who specifically asked about that - that hadn't happened before. But you have a great idea there!

MY GALLERY
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #6086
Pearl-ExPert

Gina - So sorry to hear about the damage Sandy caused in your area and kudos to you for keeping such a positive outlook towards everything and making the best of what you've! Keep it going!!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #6087
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone have the presized image for the snowman candy wrapper? I downloaded it, but it's too big for my normal sized hershey's candy bars and I can't figure out how to resize it!!!

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #6088
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Thats a good idea to keep the hats separate and let them decide the candy bar and hat/scarf. I usually just buy plain Hershey since so many people have nut allergies. And I actually ran into someone last sale who specifically asked about that - that hadn't happened before. But you have a great idea there!
I have plain milk chocolate too. I noticed in past years when I offered ones with nuts, they didn't sell as well. I think it is because people are gifting them and they don't want to take a chance with the nuts.
I do have alot of people ask if I have dark chocolate though. I haven't found anything to fit that request yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #6089
Polyshrink Goddess

Our desktop computer seems to be the only thing that really was affected by the storm. We can't get it to turn on. Not sure if it's the "power switch" or the "motherboard". That's what my hubby tells me. I really NEED that computer! It has all of my pre-sized candy bar snowmen, some premade sentiment tags for items I made, not to mention all of my pricing signs! My hubby is trying to get the printer connected to the Laptop, but something about he was having trouble with the drivers. I do have some items saved to this computer luckily (mostly because my word processor disappeared off the desktop).
I have a show tomorrow, so...tonight should be interesting!

Oh on the upside, my children's school will be open today! It's the first time in a week they have had full power!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #6090
Glitter Guru

HELP!!! I have a show tomorrow and I waited to the last minute to print out the mini hershey bar wrappers...I had it saved on my computer and can't find it! Does anyone have a link or know where on a thread it might be!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #6091
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
Judi
That's a really cute idea!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #6092
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Thanks ladies for letting me know that I can't do a minimum charge fee! That's good to know...had just seen others doing it and figured it was a good idea. Now I know...IT ISN'T! LOL Kind of a bummer tho because I'm worried that the gyms we are in for our 2 craft shows doesn't have good connection and last year my friend had to key in the charges....well that's a difference between 2.75% per swipe vs 3.5% PLUS 15 cents each transaction if you have to key it in. I was just thinking I didn't want to pay an extra 15 cents on a $3 charge. I'll have to try out the connection when we get there to set up to make sure I can swipe. If I have to key in, I may not put out my "I accept credit/debit cards" sign. I guess that's the price you pay to try to make sales. =(
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #6093
Pearl-ExPert

Craft Fair Goodies & Video Tutorial: Snowmen Hershey Bar Wrappers

That should be the link to the snowman download.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #6094
Inking Addict

For those of you (and it looks like everyone!!) that are making the Hershey Bar Snowmen, instead of putting wire at the top of the hat, I use the small clear ponytail elastics. Works better in my opinion and faster too...no more sore fingers from wrapping wire!!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #6095
Cardstock Collector

Default snowman candy bar wrapper

Hi all! I have a craft show next week and want to make some of the snowman candy bar wrappers with the fleece hats and scarves. I downloaded the files from Laurie's website and printed them as is. The pics are a bit too wide for my normal size hersheys candy bars. I am unable to open the file with any other program to edit it. How did you guys shrink the pic to fit? Is there anyone out there that would be willing to send me the edited pic that fits the candy bars?

Any advice is welcome! I've wasted so much ink trying to get them the right size with absolutely no luck!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #6096
Glitter Guru

The ones i made (and i know that i got the file from here) was the ones that were resized to fit the fun size hershey bars and I used the knit mittens, with the fingers cut off for the hats and the hand part was cut into strips for the scarves....very simple.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #6097
Cardstock Collector

Default snowman candy bar wrapper

Unfortunately I've already purchased the regular sized candy bars!

Hopefully I'll come across it!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #6098
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Send me an email at NancyL2648 at gmail.com
I'll send you the file that I've been using for the past three years...two snowmen on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
You use the regular size Hershey bar.

I have a show tomorrow so I won't get back to you till tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardicat12 View Post
Hi all! I have a craft show next week and want to make some of the snowman candy bar wrappers with the fleece hats and scarves. I downloaded the files from Laurie's website and printed them as is. The pics are a bit too wide for my normal size hersheys candy bars. I am unable to open the file with any other program to edit it. How did you guys shrink the pic to fit? Is there anyone out there that would be willing to send me the edited pic that fits the candy bars?

Any advice is welcome! I've wasted so much ink trying to get them the right size with absolutely no luck!

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #6099
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaR View Post
For those of you (and it looks like everyone!!) that are making the Hershey Bar Snowmen, instead of putting wire at the top of the hat, I use the small clear ponytail elastics. Works better in my opinion and faster too...no more sore fingers from wrapping wire!!
I don't use wire or an elastic tie. I just hot glue them directly to the paper.
Is there a video somewhere of the wire or elastic? I cannot visualize why you would need to use either.
thx.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #6100
Matboard Maniac

The elastic band (very small and clear for little girls) is used to wrap the top of the fleece hat between the bottom part of the hat and the fringe. I don't stick my hats on the paper at all. They stay on just fine without glue and that way little girls can use them on their tiny dolls or stuffed animals! Grand children cause you to save a lot of things you would otherwise discard!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #6101
Cardstock Collector

It is funny how different area's can have such different sales... yesterday was my first show of the season. my candy bars and hot coco and apple cider things didnt sell at all.. i got a little gutsy this time and took some of my mini albums that I have made and havent and wont use and only came home with 2 I took 12 they ranged in price from 70 dollars to 25 and the two least expensive ones were the ones that were left. I sell my cards for $4 each or 3 for $10 and I sold about 75 cards it was the little things that didn't go the 2 and 3 dollar items.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #6102
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess-c View Post
It is funny how different area's can have such different sales... yesterday was my first show of the season. my candy bars and hot coco and apple cider things didnt sell at all.. i got a little gutsy this time and took some of my mini albums that I have made and havent and wont use and only came home with 2 I took 12 they ranged in price from 70 dollars to 25 and the two least expensive ones were the ones that were left. I sell my cards for $4 each or 3 for $10 and I sold about 75 cards it was the little things that didn't go the 2 and 3 dollar items.
I sold alot of my bigger ticket items too....I think it is too early for stocking stuffer items, that will come at the later shows. I do my last show on December 1st and there, anything small for offices/stockings/grabbags...flys off my table, so for me as long as i have a good mix of things, I do well all season.
Good to hear about your albums....any pictures to show us?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #6103
Kookie Creator

I have my first sale this weekend so I took Wendesday, Thursday and Friday off this week to make sure I am ready, not just for this weekend but for the rest of the month! lol

I am almost ready, just the little things now, like making sure I have enough bags, my price signs, items I am taking and then change. This year I decided to go with Santa/Penguin chocolate bars instead of the snowmen and Aero bars instead of the Hershey bars. I hope they sell!

I will come back on Sunday/Monday to report how it went. Good luck everyone!

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #6104
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

i'm interested in the albums. do people then add their own pictures? i had to practically run a tutorial class on the cocoa sliders, i think albums would really confuse them. i've found most people's brag books are their i-phones. i do real live scrapbooks for my kids special occasions. sometimes just using useful quotes. pictures and prices would be awesome.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #6105
Cardstock Collector

Default My first craft show

Hello everyone. I am new to the thread. My sister talked me into getting a booth at my son's school Fun festival. I have never had a craft booth before and I am scared to death. The event is this Saturday.

I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on what is a top seller for kids. Of course it is at a school and there will be a carnival, craft booths and food booths.

I want to focus on teacher's gifts as well as kids gifts. I was thinking of the Snowman Hershey wrappers, Gifts in a jar as well as cocoa cones. Any other ideas?

How many bloggers live in Texas? What are some of the hot sellers in Texas?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #6106
Pearl-ExPert

I do a lot of teacher stuff or sell a lot to kids/parents for teachers. Bookmarks sold well, little notebooks that were teacher themed. Candy too. I also did coaster calendar or post it note holders - using a rectangle coaster that had a post it clipped on it or 2x3 (around that anyway) calendar on it. Or both will fit too if its the right sized coaster. Used SU school looking paper and some sayings that were teacher based. Those turned out nice and sold pretty much all of them. My table is pretty much $5 and under so there is usually something on it for a teacher gift.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #6107
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardicat12 View Post

Thanks!
Did you get this taken care of yet? If not, post here with an email and I can send you my Word file of the snowman wrapper from Laurie.
Judi

Last edited by taylorjudi; 11-06-2012 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #6108
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I don't use wire or an elastic tie. I just hot glue them directly to the paper.
Is there a video somewhere of the wire or elastic? I cannot visualize why you would need to use either.
thx.
I assume when people say they use wire or elastic bands they are talking about using them to gather the hat material in the middle to separate the hat body from the fringe. I think someone mentioned using twine- but that would hurt my fingers too much. I use quilting thread and add a bell for the full size candy bars. I use bakers twine (isn't really twine, just string) for the mini candy bars and tie a bow; no bell on the minis. I do not glue the hats to the paper wrappers, seems like more work, and my hats stay on just fine. I like the idea of using the hats on dolls afterward. I think I will take a small stuffed bear with me and put a hat on it for display!
Judi
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #6109
Pearl-ExPert

I just tie mine with string of some sort. Then I fringe the hat. Bells would be cute though. I did glue my hats on a bit this year, just to keep them in place. But they mostly stay on without it too.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #6110
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I just tie mine with string of some sort. Then I fringe the hat. Bells would be cute though. I did glue my hats on a bit this year, just to keep them in place. But they mostly stay on without it too.
oh wow. I glue those suckers down with hot glue. lol
People can then pull the popcorn out of the bottom and are left with a (reusable if they wish) intact snowman.

Is there anyone else on this thread following from BC, Canada?
I would love to connect with others who might be at shows near me.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #6111
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookcrafter View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to the thread. My sister talked me into getting a booth at my son's school Fun festival. I have never had a craft booth before and I am scared to death. The event is this Saturday.

I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on what is a top seller for kids. Of course it is at a school and there will be a carnival, craft booths and food booths.

I want to focus on teacher's gifts as well as kids gifts. I was thinking of the Snowman Hershey wrappers, Gifts in a jar as well as cocoa cones. Any other ideas?

How many bloggers live in Texas? What are some of the hot sellers in Texas?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Teachers in my area always drool over the beaded pens I make. Some buy them for themselves.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #6112
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

diane, can you share pics of the pens and direct us to a tutorial? (like i need more things to try!)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #6113
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Teachers in my area always drool over the beaded pens I make. Some buy them for themselves.
I have found the Hershey Candy Bar Snowman and the little purses to be my best sellers. Joann Fabrics has a coupon for 20% off your total sale coming up soon, and fleece priced at 50% off. Can't beat that deal. The purse I make is a folded 6 x 6 piece of paper, no cutting machine or dies needed. Each 12 x 12 paper makes 4 purses. I actually use 8 x 8 double sided paper and use the parts I cut off for the handles and decorative bits on the purse. But you could use any scraps for that. I do not make mine Christmas themed, but I am going to add a little tag this year that can be removed if they don't want to use it for Christmas.
Good Luck.
Judi
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #6114
Cardstock Collector

Judi

Do you have a tutorial on those purses? And maybe a picture. They sound so cute

Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #6115
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookcrafter View Post
Judi

Do you have a tutorial on those purses? And maybe a picture. They sound so cute

Thanks
Little paper Purse 6x6 DSP www.frenchiestamps.com - YouTube

Try this tutorial.
Judi

Last edited by taylorjudi; 11-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: grammar error
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #6116
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a really cute project:
Qbee's Quest: Scored Hershey's Christmas Tree Tutorial
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #6117
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Mary, thanks so much for this! It is adorable, and looks very easy to make. I will crank out a bunch of these for my extended family for Christmas.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #6118
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Mary, thanks so much for this! It is adorable, and looks very easy to make. I will crank out a bunch of these for my extended family for Christmas.
Can't wait to make these as favors for my lunch group. Thank you so much.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #6119
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
After looking at the tutorial, I notice the back of the tree is open. I wonder if the candy would tend to fall out? I may try to make a little back piece in the shape of the triangle and attach it somehow.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #6120
Polyshrink Goddess

Today was my BIG show. It was pretty successful! This show asks that you give 20% of your earnings to pay for the table, so while that was a little pricey, I am happy with my profits!! I was contacted to do another show on the 29th and I jst called today to confirm that one. After that I am going to take a small break from crafting, but will most likely start up in January to put stuff away for next years sales! I always feel like I dont have enough stuff, LOL. Although a lot of times I am packing stuff in just to fit it on the table.
My top sellers today...
  • Spa sock cupcakes and Kids sock cupcakes (Paid $0.25 for each pr socks. Charged $3) Believe I started witha total of 50.
  • Hershey Nuggets (got a lg bag from BJs for $9 sold them $2 ea of 2/$3) , and I ate some while crafting. Started with about 35
  • Spiral notebooks and mini comp books with pens $3 each (bought most in 3 or 4 packs for average of $2 a pack)
    Snowman soup (bought a case at BJs for 24 for $6 I think) sold for $1.50 ea
    Snowman kisses tic tacs (bought on clearance last year for $0.50 ea sold for $2 ea)
    Key Fobs (price varies due to cost of ribbon, but average of $1.25 to make, charged $5 ea or 2/$ sold about 25 (not all in multiples)
    Covered notepads (bought 5 pack notepads for $1 and gel pens 12 pack for $5 sold for $3
    Travel coloring cases (Made with almost 2 1/2 pieces of felt and ribbon, and hald crayons-bought for 24 pk for $0.50, Markers-18pk w/Coupon $2 or colored pencils-clearance after Christmas last year $0.25, sold for $5 each I think I have 5 of the 20 I started with.
    Framed art using retired SU "Join in the Cheer" die (frame at Walmart for $3 sold for $6 made 8 for this show
    Bookmarks all using scraps and corner bookmarks using the DSP sampler from SU from a few years ago $2 each or 3/$5 I sold quite a bit of these, started out with literally at least 100. Lots of requests fr adults - which I did make a bunch of, and teens.
    (RED ITEMS SOLD OUT)
I made lots of other items as well, but those were the biggies. I had cards on my table, on a spinning rack, sold NONE. Now to rest tonight so I can get back to work tomorrow for the 29th!

Last edited by GRKIDDO; 11-17-2012 at 03:56 PM..