Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #6001
Polyshrink Goddess

Working on items for my sale on Saturday. Had a good time at my vendor fair this past week at my school. Top 3 sellers were cards, travel coloring cases, and Key Fobs. I was pretty surprised about the cards, I normally dont sell many, but maybe it was the new display? I got a rack and now the cards hang, so I think that helped a lot!

I'll be super busy this week trying to get some crafting done for Saturday!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #6002
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Working on items for my sale on Saturday. Had a good time at my vendor fair this past week at my school. Top 3 sellers were cards, travel coloring cases, and Key Fobs. I was pretty surprised about the cards, I normally dont sell many, but maybe it was the new display? I got a rack and now the cards hang, so I think that helped a lot!

Gina, what type of rack did you get? Do you have a picture or source where to get one? TIA.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #6003
Polyshrink Goddess

Its from Michaels although not all of them carry it. Its in with all the white furniture. It's about $30, and then the hooks were $5. Pricey, but it works. I've been using lots of coupons on them.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #6004
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Congrats Gina! I have my first sale the 3rd weekend in October. I only have about a month left to make everything. I don't like to do crafting between shows, if I can help it.

Today, I was cuttinf fleece out for chocolate bar snowmen. I cut all my pieces out ahead of time and print my faces out also. Then, when I buy the chocolate bars, I just have to assemble them.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #6005
Polyshrink Goddess

working on more coloring cases. Trying to bulk up my supply.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #6006
Matboard Maniac

Gina, do you have measurements and directions for the coloring cases? I looked at your pics, but did not see "how to" and it would help not to have to reinvent the wheel(coloring case) at this point. I am trying to get some stuff ready for a couple of small church sales mid Nov. and early Dec. I have never done two and both are just one day shows, so I won't have to have a ton of stuff, but time is always in short supply! Thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #6007
Matboard Maniac

Is there a key fob fab going on? I've seen these a lot lately. Thinking of making a few myself and using up some ribbon I have. Is ebay the best place for the hardware?

Also - does anyone know where I can get some epsom salts in big bags? I went to walmart and they had zilch ---> boo.

Last edited by TheCraftyTouch; 09-23-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #6008
Polyshrink Goddess

I made these cute Halloween Treat Bags using Hershey Miniatures. It's not an original idea - I saw them somewhere but can't remember where.

HandmadeBits4U: Halloween Treat Bags with Hershey Miniatures

Rita
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #6009
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp2stamp2 View Post
I made these cute Halloween Treat Bags using Hershey Miniatures. It's not an original idea - I saw them somewhere but can't remember where.

HandmadeBits4U: Halloween Treat Bags with Hershey Miniatures

Rita

Those are cute. Can you say how much you sell them for. I'm always at a loss for candy items, what to charge.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #6010
Insane Embellisher

Default costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I'm always at a loss for candy items, what to charge.
When I calculate pricing, I consider 2 things:

1. Calculation: total product cost doubled, then doubled again.
($1 cost would be sold for $4)
2. Would I pay this price for this item?

I have been selling snowman hershet abrs for $2. This year, I am increasing cost to $3 or 2/$5.
Does this seem reasonable to others?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #6011
Pearl-ExPert

I usually double but I don't double again. But if something comes up under $1 I usually put it the dollar or $1.25 depending on what it is. I had my sowman bars at $2.50 last year but had a hard time selling the big ones for that, little ones were less. But that even depends on the venue I'm at. One sale, I think I can sell them for more, another not so much. I also look at what I would pay for it, if I won't pay it, I doubt others will either. The little items that really don't cost much to make are always hard for me. But most of my stuff start at $1.25. Some times those little items are the ones that take longer to make so gettnig 'paid' for time isn't happening. But i figure it all evens out.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #6012
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I have been selling snowman hershet abrs for $2. This year, I am increasing cost to $3 or 2/$5.
Does this seem reasonable to others?
I've been selling the regular sized Snowman Hershey Bar for $3 each for the past two years. I sell out at every show for that price.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #6013
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyL2648 View Post
I've been selling the regular sized Snowman Hershey Bar for $3 each for the past two years. I sell out at every show for that price.
Oh wow. That is good news. I easily sell out of them for $2, but they do take alot of work, and I am a bit of a perfectionist so they do look great.

This year, I am increasing my prices of the items that sell super-fast. If they don't sell at all, I will drop them back down a bit.

I also agree with Mary about not always getting the time paid for to make the items. That's why I try to stick with things I like to make, so it is fun to do as a hobby that I get paid for.

Also, some cute things that draw people to the table are good also, even if that one item doesn't make much money.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #6014
Inking Addict

Quote:
Where do you get your snowman template?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #6015
Mad Swapper

I'm doing my first craft fair...however, I'll only have 2 weeks to prep if I'm accepted.

I dont know where to start. I'm really thinking of making 1/2 dozen different 3D items; 4 each of diff cards...3 to sell, 1 for orders. And the M&T will be a C'mas card and they can place an bundled kit order order for the items to make more cards. It's a very small event....but at a high-end private Lake.

Where do I start. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #6016
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I've found the post it note holder with the 'built-in' spot for a mini pen to be quite popular. Pretty easy to make - just don't spend too long on embellishing them. You (in the USA) seem to have access to alot of composition books cheaply acquired, so perhaps you could decorate some of them with a matching pen.

Let us know what you end up doing. My latest obsession is to look at what other people make/display at craft fairs!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #6017
Pearl-ExPert

I had planned on making some of the M&M sticks in the fall colors for my October shows...but can't seem to find the fall M&M's anywhere. Anyone have any luck finding these?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #6018
Pearl-ExPert

Default mini calendar pads

Mini-Calendar pads

Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #6019
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I had planned on making some of the M&M sticks in the fall colors for my October shows...but can't seem to find the fall M&M's anywhere. Anyone have any luck finding these?
Target had them when I was there the other day.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #6020
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmomof2 View Post
Target had them when I was there the other day.
LOL Wouldn't you know...Target is one store I hadn't checked.
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #6021
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlin View Post
Where do you get your snowman template?

here it is: Laurie Furnell: Snowman Freebie...

You can do full size candy bars, mini ones, popcorn. I've done rollos too.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #6022
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps View Post
I'm doing my first craft fair...however, I'll only have 2 weeks to prep if I'm accepted.

I dont know where to start. I'm really thinking of making 1/2 dozen different 3D items; 4 each of diff cards...3 to sell, 1 for orders. And the M&T will be a C'mas card and they can place an bundled kit order order for the items to make more cards. It's a very small event....but at a high-end private Lake.

Where do I start. Any ideas?
I sell a lot of coaster calendars, coasters made with tiles, trivets made with tiles, gift card holders and gift tags. I made little purses that held a lip balm from Avon (or whatever) that a person named Frenchie has on her site - they also hold gift cards. Candy items too, the snowmen mentioned in this thread, MM sticks and nugget bags. MM sticks didn't sell as well for me last year, but they have in the past. This year I added magnets and key fobs so hopefully those will be a good seller too.

I did luminaries one year too, last minute, (splitcoast has a tutorial) and those went really well. Really easy to make too and I sold them for $5 - with a battery tea light from the dollar store.

I have some insulated cups from the dollar store that you can decorate (inside the clear outside covering) and I did a few of those last year for hot chocolate. Those sold well although I didn't do too many of them. Sold them for $5 with hot chocolate packets in them - candy canes and a kiss or two.

I also do a lot of notebooks, mostly the little ones. Those sell really well.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #6023
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

Finally finished reading all the posts. Here I was excited to see almost finished reading it then someone added another craft forum. I see there are 100+ pages for that. Guess I know what I am starting next week on lunch.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #6024
Kookie Creator

I decided to make the "melted snowman" for my 1x8 bag toppers this year and holy cow they are taking a long time to make! They are cute though! I am making 200 and I know I will need more (as I have 120 pencil packs that they will go on) but man! I need to think of something easier! Last year I did the Santa face from punches, which was a lot of work too, but I didn't need as many!

Oh wel, I do a bit here and there and they will get done...just not as fast as I want!

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6025
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeteens View Post
I decided to make the "melted snowman" for my 1x8 bag toppers this year and holy cow they are taking a long time to make! They are cute though! I am making 200 and I know I will need more (as I have 120 pencil packs that they will go on) but man! I need to think of something easier! Last year I did the Santa face from punches, which was a lot of work too, but I didn't need as many!

Oh wel, I do a bit here and there and they will get done...just not as fast as I want!

What's the melted snowman? Must have missed that. I try to find easier things to put on items as well. Some punched things take way too long to do to make it worth while. I used stickers on bookmarks (paperclip kinds) and small notebooks last year, which I didn't think I'd like but I loved them and so did the buyers. Super simple. But I used all my stickers I think. Stamping is easier than punching and just using designer paper is even easier. But I do love punch art, used some on my gift card holders, but they were not too much work. Hope to post some items Saturday.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #6026
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I did my one craft show today.....it was HIGHLY disappointing! I will not go back there again. It was at a church that I know has a HUGE downstairs room (which was not used at all!). They had something like 13 tables shoved into a room that really would hold maybe 7. I was so cramped, and then the lady who was in charge came and was fighting over my table to get a plug came and said "it's a little cramped in here", I took that as my chance to say something! So I ended up outside, which I really didnt want to do, but it was so much more room!! Sadly it was chilly and my daughter was more dressed for the weather then me. But we had blankets in the car, so we could almost stay warm. The sale was from 9-3. My first sale was at about 12:30. I started packing up slowly at about 2:10. No one noticed. It was sooooo dead. Not worth it at all. But I chalked it up to experience! I discovered I have a LOT of stuff, and I may be okay to not craft any more...but I will anyway! I figured I could bulk up my top selling items so I dont have to go crazy in November trying to catch up!

Lesson learned!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #6027
Pearl-ExPert

Too bad. Was this your first time there? Why didn't they use the big space, doesn't make sense. But you'll get them next time. Sales that is!

MY GALLERY
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #6028
Matboard Maniac

Gina that stinks. That's too bad. Sounds like they didn't do much advertising. You'll pick it up next show...don't give up - you do such fabulous work!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #6029
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Well I did my one craft show today.....it was HIGHLY disappointing! I will not go back there again.
Lesson learned!
So sorry to hear this. I hope it didn't cost much.
Sometimes, you have to try these little venues out. I do attend one at a church. It is a well known sale, where they combine the date with a bake sale and garage sale. Those other items help it out.

Good luck on your other sales.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #6030
Pearl-ExPert

So sorry this happened. Did you at least make your table fee?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #6031
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCraftyTouch View Post
Is there a key fob fab going on? I've seen these a lot lately. Thinking of making a few myself and using up some ribbon I have. Is ebay the best place for the hardware?

Also - does anyone know where I can get some epsom salts in big bags? I went to walmart and they had zilch ---> boo.
Wow Walmart used to sell it! Did you ask someone??

The hardware can be found at....Crafters Vision Does not include key rings, I got them at one of the craft stores.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #6032
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay Question......Does anyone know of a tutorial for a little holder to hold 2 bottles of hand lotion? I have seen them before, but can't find one now. It can be back to back or next to each other. I would prefer to have a handle. I tried googling, but maybe I am just not calling it the correct thing.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #6033
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone seen the comp books still on sale????
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #6034
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Okay Question......Does anyone know of a tutorial for a little holder to hold 2 bottles of hand lotion? I have seen them before, but can't find one now. It can be back to back or next to each other. I would prefer to have a handle. I tried googling, but maybe I am just not calling it the correct thing.
Thanks in advance!!!

heres one i found on Stampin Connection;
Stampin' & Scrappin' with Stasia: Search results for lotion
if you found one that held one, couldn't you just do 2 and adhere them together?

MY GALLERY
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #6035
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Well I did my one craft show today.....it was HIGHLY disappointing!

Lesson learned!
Sorry to hear that but like you said it helped you prepare for the "real" ones!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #6036
Rubber Obsessor

Try Walmart for epsom salts again. They have a 5 lb bag in the first aid section. Don't buy it from the bath section, you'll pay more. Not sure how big of a bag you're looking for though.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #6037
Polyshrink Goddess

Well....After a not very productive show on Saturday, Sunday i wake up with a message from the bank. Someone stole my CC #! It's a debit/credit so the $ comes directly from my bank account. Luckily the bank caught it and today I had to go fill out fraud paperwork. I have to wait for the purchases to hit, then they can dispute them then I get to wait for my money!! Yay me! Is this week over yet????

Also I wanted to ask, i thought I saw a recipe for candy cane sugar scrub, but now I am not seeing it. Is there any way someone can direct me?
I'd appreciate it!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #6038
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
heres one i found on Stampin Connection;
Stampin' & Scrappin' with Stasia: Search results for lotion
if you found one that held one, couldn't you just do 2 and adhere them together?
This one may work thanks so much!!! I hadnt even thought of Stampin Connection (hits self in forehead!) Thanks!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #6039
Pearl-ExPert

I like looking for things for people. Its like a quest. I posted this on one of the other threads but I found this candy cane scrub in a search for ya:

Handy Pants: Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

MY GALLERY
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #6040
Matboard Maniac

Gina, I am so sorry your first show did not go well. It is still early and a lot of parents have just gotten over the shock of back to school spending.
Your things are gorgeous and reasonably priced. I know the next couple of shows will be much better.