Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #4561
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
nobody has any advice????
Two years ago I did a craft show at a school the first week of November. I made $2 less than my booth fee of $65. The things that sold well for me was NOT holiday items. I sold post-it note holders, journals with matching pens, gift card holders and cards.

Everything I had with Christmas/Holiday did not sell and teacher gift items did not sell (and it was at a school!!). I decided to take my chance on the same craft show again this November, but I've got a much nicer booth and will not be bringing any holiday items this year.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #4562
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I wanted to also add... I applied for a juried show that is in the middle of October and other than some Halloween stuff, I'm going to have everything be NOT holiday related. I'm going to focus on birthdays/thank you for gift card holders, cute stuff like butterflies, birds, other trendy things as my theme for journals, post it note holders, lollipop covers and such. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be selling, as I am aiming to have 1 show a month beginning this month, and then 2 in November.

In looking at my pictures of past shows I have done (3 so far), I didn't have enough stuff and my booth looked BARE! I bought some shelves off Craigslist a couple weekends ago that I think will really help fill in my booth. I need to really focus on quantity right now!

An idea I just thought of - maybe try to make some gifts in autumn/thanksgiving theme and sell them from the angle of a hostess gift, since a lot of people visit someone else's home for Thanksgiving??
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #4563
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLynnT View Post
Walgreens carries the Palmers brand patties, which are still wrapped in the round. WalMart usually has this brand closer to Christmas, too.
Thanks I'll check them out too.

MY GALLERY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #4564
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalamon View Post
An idea I just thought of - maybe try to make some gifts in autumn/thanksgiving theme and sell them from the angle of a hostess gift, since a lot of people visit someone else's home for Thanksgiving??
Excellent idea! I'm doing a craft fair the first week in Nov and you got me thinking that I'd like to do a few items like that as well.
Blessings,
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #4565
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
nobody has any advice????

Hi Lisa,

I cannot really speak from past experience because the only craft shows I have previously done were the weekend before Thanksgiving and Christmas items sold well at that time. However, this year I am setting up a booth on Oct. 23 and hoping that Halloween as well as Thanksgiving and even some Christmas items sell.

A few Fall-themed ideas are stamped candles, as you mentioned, and also what about stamped tile coasters in Fall colors? I saw some nice Fall-ish clear Inkadinkado stamps at Michael's for $9.99 so with a coupon they would be very affordable. Also someone on this thread posted a shopping survival kit that was very cute and would be good for Black Friday shopping or general holiday shopping. I have also considered doing decorated binder clips for people to use as Thanksgiving place cards holders, but not sure if they would actually sell??? Like these: Searchwords: Turkey Day! or these: Thanksgiving Place Name Turkeys by SALSCHWANER - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers binder clip
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #4566
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitecreations View Post
I'm applying for two and one is $25 and one is $50. The prices do vary. There is a show held here that gets a lot of traffic and the show costs $175 for two days. It'll be my first craft show too. Besides the cost, I too wonder how much stock to take.
the general rule of thumb is to take 3 times the cost of the show - so, if a show fee is $50.00, take 150.00 worth of stuff - the crafters I have met who do this for a living, said to take 10 times what the fee is - they also said a 'good fair' nets them about 10 times the booth fee - wow, don't I wish
Old 08-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #4567
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancincz View Post
the general rule of thumb is to take 3 times the cost of the show - so, if a show fee is $50.00, take 150.00 worth of stuff - the crafters I have met who do this for a living, said to take 10 times what the fee is - they also said a 'good fair' nets them about 10 times the booth fee - wow, don't I wish
ok....so when you take $150.oo worth of stuff, is that my cost or what I am selling it for? little confused
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #4568
Rubber Obsessor

that is the price you are selling your items for - you usually mark up your price for each item about 3 times the cost of materials...this way you make about 1.00 an hour LOL - that is the big problem with low cost stuff - you need to made tons of it for these higher priced shows - I have a Cape Cod show on the 21st of this month...will let you know how it went
Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #4569
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancincz View Post
As good as this advice sounds, it feels too little. I've got one show that is only $25.00. Taking only $75.00 worth of stuff seems understocked, especially since reading everything, you never really sell out of all your inventory. I googled a bunch of articles and they said to take 3-4 times what you want to sell. So, if I want to sell $300 worth of stuff, I should have about $1,000 worth of stuff. That seemed waaay too much! lol Maybe I should just do a dry run on a table the same size as my booth space and see what makes it look full!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #4570
Polyshrink Goddess

I have only done one craft show so far, so I am definitely not an expert. I had no idea what to expect or to take, but since I actually made more than my booth fee of $100, I guess I did okay.

I had lots of cards, some mini scrapbooks and not a lot else for sale. I had a 10' x 10' space so I had a total of 3 tables. I decorated a bunch of plain gift bags and added gift tags to them and put matching tissue paper in them. I used those to fill up the empty spaces. I did sell quite a few of them.

I feel that this year's sales will be much better because of all of the ideas I have gotten from this thread. I have made a bunch of post-it note holders so far, but ended up selling them to a store already. I guess I need to get busy making more.

Pat

Quote:
I wanted to also add... I applied for a juried show that is in the middle of October and other than some Halloween stuff, I'm going to have everything be NOT holiday related. I'm going to focus on birthdays/thank you for gift card holders, cute stuff like butterflies, birds, other trendy things as my theme for journals, post it note holders, lollipop covers and such. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be selling, as I am aiming to have 1 show a month beginning this month, and then 2 in November.

In looking at my pictures of past shows I have done (3 so far), I didn't have enough stuff and my booth looked BARE! I bought some shelves off Craigslist a couple weekends ago that I think will really help fill in my booth. I need to really focus on quantity right now!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4571
Matboard Maniac

For those of you planning to make the clothespin magnets, I got a bag of 50 clothespins for $1 at the Dollar General Store yesterday. 2 cents = not bad!

To anyone who has sold the clothespin magnets before, do you use the glue-on magnetic disks or the adhesive magnetic tape?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #4572
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate View Post
For those of you planning to make the clothespin magnets, I got a bag of 50 clothespins for $1 at the Dollar General Store yesterday. 2 cents = not bad!

To anyone who has sold the clothespin magnets before, do you use the glue-on magnetic disks or the adhesive magnetic tape?
I've used both. The adhesive magnetic tape is great if you buy a brand name. If you buy the off brand (which I did to try and save cost) you end up having to glue it down. A little trick I learned with the tape is to put it on the back of the clothespins before I decorate them. I do that and then I put something good and heavy on top of them for a while to make sure the tape is lying flat and sticking well. I made my magnets about 6 months before the show and NONE of the tape came off. I've been using the 3M brand. You could also try and flatten it somewhat before you use it and that would probably be good. Make sure you have really sharp scissors for cutting the magnet in half.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #4573
Crimping Master

Quote:

I get my magnets HERE and they are super strong. I tried the strips of magnets that you get on a roll but they kept curling up/peeling off and I had to re-glue them a lot. You have to be careful with these magnets and use E6000 or hot glue because they will pull off the clothespin - they are that strong.

BUT on the other side, they will hold about 2lbs. so it's a great magnet for the frig!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #4574
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hi Lisa,

I cannot really speak from past experience because the only craft shows I have previously done were the weekend before Thanksgiving and Christmas items sold well at that time. However, this year I am setting up a booth on Oct. 23 and hoping that Halloween as well as Thanksgiving and even some Christmas items sell.

A few Fall-themed ideas are stamped candles, as you mentioned, and also what about stamped tile coasters in Fall colors? I saw some nice Fall-ish clear Inkadinkado stamps at Michael's for $9.99 so with a coupon they would be very affordable. Also someone on this thread posted a shopping survival kit that was very cute and would be good for Black Friday shopping or general holiday shopping. I have also considered doing decorated binder clips for people to use as Thanksgiving place cards holders, but not sure if they would actually sell??? Like these: Searchwords: Turkey Day! or these: Thanksgiving Place Name Turkeys by SALSCHWANER - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers binder clip

Hey girl,
I did some for our family dinner one year and sold them at the craft fair the same year, they sold really well. People thought it was a great idea.

Here are mine from our dinner.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #4575
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I think you said that the covers were plastic too (or had a plastic top?). Did you decorate that piece then? I've found a couple that had tops like that, some were clear and I thought of doing the underlying piece that was like cardstock, but some are colored and you wouldn't be able to see through it so well. Just wondering if it was a pain to decorate the plastic covering, if that is what you did. I couldn't tell from the pictures, but it looks like you did that. Very nice books too. I do love altering notebooks. I bet my sisters are sick of getting them but too bad!
Yes, the cover and the dividers are a colored plastic. The covers are a thicker plastic then the dividers and are not hard to alter. I just altered the front cover and used my adhesive gun to attach the paper.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #4576
Matboard Maniac

Beth, can you add a link for me to see the test tubes you did up?
I pm'd you.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #4577
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennunder View Post
Yes, the cover and the dividers are a colored plastic. The covers are a thicker plastic then the dividers and are not hard to alter. I just altered the front cover and used my adhesive gun to attach the paper.
\

Thanks, I'm gonna give that a try!

MY GALLERY
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #4578
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
Beth, can you add a link for me to see the test tubes you did up?
I pm'd you.
Here are a few:
test-tubes.jpgtest-tubes-4.jpgtest-tubes-7.jpg

These test tubes are a little different than the ones we are ordering, but still cute.

Beth
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #4579
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Here are a few:
Attachment 193102Attachment 193104Attachment 193105

These test tubes are a little different than the ones we are ordering, but still cute.

Beth
These are totally adorable!!! What a great idea.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #4580
Kookie Creator

Beth - can you email me at claeace@cinci.rr.com.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #4581
Mad Swapper

Here are a few of the mini composition books that I've made recently...
Attached Thumbnails
img_0899.jpg   img_0913.jpg   img_0907.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #4582
Crimping Master

Default Composition Notebooks

Hi ladies!
If you didn't get your fill of the cheap comp notebooks at WalMart, my Staples had them today for $0.25 as well! No Limit!

Enjoy!
Beth
Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #4583
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmomof2 View Post
CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #4584
Rubber Obsessor

Love the test tubes and the mini notebooks!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #4585
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Stunning! I especially like the one with the sheet music! (I have a little french medley going through my head right now! LOL)
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #4586
Gabfest Goddess

Have been subscribed to this thread since I found SCS...finally thinking about doing a craft show this fall. Our school is having one for the first time in Nov. Guess I better get cracking if I want to do it! Lots of great ideas here. Thanks ladies!
a*muse|studio consultant #1180
My Blog
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #4587
Rubber Obsessor

What a cute idea! what's in these? I like them a lot and may give as gifts to my many nieces and nephews! also - where do you find the tubes to keep costs down? I only have seen them sold by the 'each' and that can add up quickly, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Here are a few:
Attachment 193102Attachment 193104Attachment 193105

Beth
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #4588
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyscrapin View Post
Hey girl,
I did some for our family dinner one year and sold them at the craft fair the same year, they sold really well. People thought it was a great idea.

Here are mine from our dinner.
Shelly, I love your pumpkin place card holders - too cute!! What kind of die cut did you use for the pumpkin? Is it from a Cricut cartridge?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4589
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Christel, LOVE your mini comps! That Eiffel Tower stamp is great!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #4590
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing...
Stamping is an addiction and a therapy all rolled into one!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #4591
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Shelly, I love your pumpkin place card holders - too cute!! What kind of die cut did you use for the pumpkin? Is it from a Cricut cartridge?
OK, I must admit, I cheated on the pumpkin. LOL They had a clearance at Target on place cards from Halloween that year, about 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, I paid .50 for a set of 8, bought them out on those because I needed 30. Then I came home and colored and dolled them up some more. I did cut everyone's names out on the cricut!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #4592
Die Cut Diva

You guys, those tubes and comp books are stinkin' adorable!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #4593
Glitter Queen

The comp books are great. Love them. I'll have to give those a try.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #4594
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to Target yesterday and got more of the comp books for $.25. I also found packs of 5 of the large paperclips that were different colors for $1.69. I don't know if that is the best price, but I thought they were cute!

Has anyone seen any good prices on the mini gel-pens or Post-it notes this week?

Pat
Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #4595
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

Quote:
love, love, LOVE these mini comp books! I love anything Eiffel Tower or Paris, so I especially like that one.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #4596
Matboard Maniac

Default test tubes

Where can I purchase the test tubes with colored plastic tops?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #4597
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Two years ago I did a craft show at a school the first week of November. I made $2 less than my booth fee of $65. The things that sold well for me was NOT holiday items. I sold post-it note holders, journals with matching pens, gift card holders and cards.

Everything I had with Christmas/Holiday did not sell and teacher gift items did not sell (and it was at a school!!). I decided to take my chance on the same craft show again this November, but I've got a much nicer booth and will not be bringing any holiday items this year.

Hope that helps!
It does help because I am thinking I am on the right track by keeping the holiday items to a minimum. I already have some Halloween wooden treat boxes I altered last year that I want to sell. Otherwise, I don't think I will add much else holiday-themed. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #4598
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrap View Post
I have only done one craft show so far, so I am definitely not an expert. I had no idea what to expect or to take, but since I actually made more than my booth fee of $100, I guess I did okay.

I had lots of cards, some mini scrapbooks and not a lot else for sale. I had a 10' x 10' space so I had a total of 3 tables. I decorated a bunch of plain gift bags and added gift tags to them and put matching tissue paper in them. I used those to fill up the empty spaces. I did sell quite a few of them.

I feel that this year's sales will be much better because of all of the ideas I have gotten from this thread. I have made a bunch of post-it note holders so far, but ended up selling them to a store already. I guess I need to get busy making more.

Pat
Thanks Pat! I am planning on doing some post-it note holders by jazzing up the acrylic ones I already have made with a pen. My space is 12 x 6 with two tables. I am trying to add more height this year. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #4599
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Hi Lisa,

thanks for replying. I am definitely doing candles. I love the finished product and now that I know the candles at DT have labels that say they do not contain lead, I will be buying more. I have lots of stamps at home to choose from (100+ sets). I am also thinking of doing the husband survival kit - my DH thought that was pretty neat. For the shows I am doing, I am pretty sure the place cards won't sell but I really like them. I may pick up some binder clips to do as photo holders.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #4600
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks to all who responded to my desperate plea for advice. I tried to reply personally to everyone but if there is someone I missed, it was not intentional!

I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately with everything. I want to make so many of the great things that I have seen in this thread but that would be crazy! so thanks for helping me figure out what I need to do!

Last edited by paris062; 08-13-2010 at 08:43 AM..