Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #4521
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

How well do you all do on average at craft shows?

I did two shows last year - one was late October and the other was early December. I made back my table fee at the first one. Not many Christmas items sold. Way too early I think as well as the economy. At the second one, I sold out of a lot of things and got orders. Many things were priced @ $1 ea like snowman soup, peppermint patties in pretzel bag with a cute tag, Rudolph Spares, etc. I have 4 shows scheduled for this year. Any ideas for the late October one besides Halloween? I don't have many Thanksgiving ideas. I was thinking of doing fall-themed candles. I cannot decide what to do and how much to make. How do you all figure this out?! Ack! Its been driving me crazy so I keep procrastinating. Not good!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #4522
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate View Post
I wonder if the Dollar Trees in Canada sell different merchandise than the stores in the States? That is certainly a concern about the candles possibly containing lead, but I would think that most people would buy the candles for the "pretty" factor and not burn them anyway.....
I had always assumed that the candles would be purchased for the "pretty" factor as well. It shocked me when someone asked how the candles I use burn. I advised them what brand I had used and where I had purchased them but could not say how they burned. The whole time I was thinking "you're going to burn this candle??" Ha ha - I obviously think too much of my own work.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #4523
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to AudreyNicole Send a message via Yahoo to AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post
For those concerned about the wicks in the candles they have already purchased you can check out this Snopes article. Chances are yours are safe. Towards the bottom of the article they provide an easy way to test the wicks to see if they do have lead. snopes.com: Lead in Candle Wicks They recommend rubbing the wick against a white piece of paper. If it leaves a light grey mark your wick has lead. If not you're OK. This of course only applies if you see that the core of your wick does have a silvery strand in it (which does mean you have a metal core wick) but most are zinc.
Thank you so much for the article. I did the "lead test" and there were no marks on my paper.

I was thinking that these would be purchased primarily for the decorative factor, not so much for burning, but of course, that is always possible...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #4524
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole View Post
.. ... I was thinking that these would be purchased primarily for the decorative factor, not so much for burning, but of course, that is always possible...
We think alike, Audrey!
I've actually tossed out gorgeous candles in previous times, as they had finally faded with time after being displayed for so long. haha I also have kitties with long hair, and have always leary of one getting too close. Thankful for the Glade plug-ins!
Christmas Stampin' Stack on the Road!

Have your played along with our SCS Creative Crew challenges this month? C'mon! Join in the fun! Creative Crew Galleries!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #4525

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
We think alike, Audrey!
I've actually tossed out gorgeous candles in previous times, as they had finally faded with time after being displayed for so long. haha I also have kitties with long hair, and have always leary of one getting too close. Thankful for the Glade plug-ins!
I had quit burning candles years ago once my son became a whirlwind of motion. Just too dangerous!! I have also become a big fan of Glad plug-ins.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #4526
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I had always assumed that the candles would be purchased for the "pretty" factor as well. It shocked me when someone asked how the candles I use burn. I advised them what brand I had used and where I had purchased them but could not say how they burned. The whole time I was thinking "you're going to burn this candle??" Ha ha - I obviously think too much of my own work.
I have attached a little tag that shows people how to burn them safely, and not mess up the pretty work on them. I found it somewhere here on SCS, just can't remember where.

"If you burn it down just a little bit you can insert a tea light candle in and it can be switched out. You can also carve a little hole out for the tea light, but burning is easier to me. This saves the pretty candle. If you don't want to burn with a tea light, they sell battery operated tea lights everywhere, they flicker just like real candle light. I use these for my paper bag luminaries at Christmas. "
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #4527

Thanks for the tag idea sassyscrapin. I will definitely give this a try.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #4528
Glitter Queen

I just wanted to mention this in case anyone is wanting to go to Dollar Tree for candles. On the bottom of the ones that I purchased, there is a sticker, and it says in bold letters " this candle contains no lead." Makes me feel better
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #4529
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetickatie View Post
Ok after reading through the thread some I have decided to put my products in clear bags so dirty fingers don't mess up the products Does anyone know where to get some bags that will hold composition notebooks? I am on a serious budget so I'd like to not spend a whole lot on it, but I realize you get what you pay for so I'm open to any suggestions on where to get them! I'd prefer online stores since my Jeep doesn't have functioning air conditioning and driving around looking for specific stuff is brutally hot! My nearest Michael's and Joann's are small and kind of puny, I gotta go about 8 miles through nasty traffic to get to the good ones. I have a good Hobby Lobby close to me though. So if anything I can use can be found there let me know!
Hobby Lobby also has clear bags in the cake decorating department...I believe they carry a wilton brand and an off brand...they can also be found in the party section and also by the bag section...

Wal-Mart also sells the clear bags in the party section of their store also...they also had some real cute plain chinese containers (in many colors) that could be altered and turned into cute party favors...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #4530
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
Hi Beth - I just love all of your craft fair items. You are super talented! I can't stop thinking about those cute test tubes. Where did you find the tubes? Do you have a good supplier for cello bags and tins as well? I am thinking about doing nugget tins this year as well as tooth fairy tins. I someone's on here (can't remember who - sorry) that I thought were really cute too.
Hi there! Thanks for the nice comments! I will PM you with the infomration....have an opportunity for you with the test tubes that I can't post to this thread! Anyone else is interested in test tubes, PM me!

Beth
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #4531
Glitter Queen

I had bought some taper candles at the dollar store previously so went and checked the wick. I even cut it up and checked the middle. No filaments of any kind and doing the test, it left no marks. but, it's good advice to check for in the future.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #4532
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennunder View Post
Last week I found some neat Mini 4 subject Notebooks at our local Dollar Tree. The covers are plastic and they come in black, red, green, and blue. I picked some up to alter and really like how they came out. They were very easy to do, so I think I will add them to my Craft Show list!

Here are some photos:
Altered Mini 4 Subject Notebook by jennunder - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Altered Mini Christmas Notebook by jennunder - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Since they are 4 subject does that mean they have dividers and regular lined paper, or are they specifically for homework?

I'm hoping it's the first one, if so I am going to have to buy out our Dollar tree!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #4533
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I just wanted to mention this in case anyone is wanting to go to Dollar Tree for candles. On the bottom of the ones that I purchased, there is a sticker, and it says in bold letters " this candle contains no lead." Makes me feel better
Yes, I also looked on the bottoms of the ones I had purchased last week at Dollar Tree and it says in bold letters: Wick does not contain lead.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #4534
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
Since they are 4 subject does that mean they have dividers and regular lined paper, or are they specifically for homework?

I'm hoping it's the first one, if so I am going to have to buy out our Dollar tree!
They do have dividers and lined paper. The plastic divider colors are green, red, and orangel. The paper has "Date" on the top right corner, but other then that is just white paper with lines. I will be heading back to get more!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #4535
Glitter Queen

I am just curious... I have never done a craft show, but I am in the process of applying to be a vendor at a few this fall. How much do you think is too much for space fees? I am finding that they vary greatly. One is $20 for outside, $30 for inside. One is $50 for outside, $60 for inside. I am considering doing both shows as they are 3 weeks apart. I can use the first show to see what sells, and use the time inbetween to adjust prices and replenish stock. Am I being too ambitious? I am scared!! LOL!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #4536
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a cute post-it note holder:
Crafts by Beth: More Post-it-Note Covers
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #4537
Glitter Queen

I'm applying for two and one is $25 and one is $50. The prices do vary. There is a show held here that gets a lot of traffic and the show costs $175 for two days. It'll be my first craft show too. Besides the cost, I too wonder how much stock to take.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #4538
Kookie Creator

Hey Deb-Where have you been? Just lurking and not commenting? lol

I made (what I thought) were some really awesome chinese takeout containers last year and not a one sold! I was so bummed. They were the plasic ones. A beautiful purple color - I took them all apart to stamp the snowflakes from the Serene Snowflakes set from SU! on them with white stazon. I filled them with peppermint balls and used the ornament punch and stamp set (embossed) for a gift tag/label. Lots of "how darling" comments, but no takers. I'm going to try again this year. Hopefully they'll sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldyward View Post
Hobby Lobby also has clear bags in the cake decorating department...I believe they carry a wilton brand and an off brand...they can also be found in the party section and also by the bag section...

Wal-Mart also sells the clear bags in the party section of their store also...they also had some real cute plain chinese containers (in many colors) that could be altered and turned into cute party favors...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #4539
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
We think alike, Audrey!
I've actually tossed out gorgeous candles in previous times, as they had finally faded with time after being displayed for so long. haha I also have kitties with long hair, and have always leary of one getting too close.
In my place, faded candles are delegated to general household use. In a blackout, masses of candles up high provide better light and pose less hazard of being knocked over by clumsy humans or cats.

Thanks, too, to the person who published the snopes link about the lead (or lack thereof) in candles.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #4540
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I am just curious... I have never done a craft show, but I am in the process of applying to be a vendor at a few this fall. How much do you think is too much for space fees? I am finding that they vary greatly. One is $20 for outside, $30 for inside. One is $50 for outside, $60 for inside. I am considering doing both shows as they are 3 weeks apart. I can use the first show to see what sells, and use the time inbetween to adjust prices and replenish stock. Am I being too ambitious? I am scared!! LOL!
The small one I just did was $15 for two tables. A larger show I'm doing was $50 for 2 tables. I think if the show is established and popular, they can charge more for table fees. I don't think you're being too ambitious. I'm doing the same kind of thing!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #4541
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennunder View Post
They do have dividers and lined paper. The plastic divider colors are green, red, and orangel. The paper has "Date" on the top right corner, but other then that is just white paper with lines. I will be heading back to get more!

I think you said that the covers were plastic too (or had a plastic top?). Did you decorate that piece then? I've found a couple that had tops like that, some were clear and I thought of doing the underlying piece that was like cardstock, but some are colored and you wouldn't be able to see through it so well. Just wondering if it was a pain to decorate the plastic covering, if that is what you did. I couldn't tell from the pictures, but it looks like you did that. Very nice books too. I do love altering notebooks. I bet my sisters are sick of getting them but too bad!

MY GALLERY
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #4542
Pearl-ExPert

Do you have success with Christmas stuff at October sales? I know one poster here said she didn't do well with that type of stuff. I am doing a sale in November and holiday stuff for me goes very well. There are two other the last two weeks of October and I'm thinking of doing one if not both (but then its a sale a week for three weeks and I don't know if I would have enough stuff to sell! or time to do it all.) I will do a few Halloween and more just fall type things, but I don't want to get stuck with too much of that stuff for the next show. I would think that Christmas stuff would still go at the end of October but now I don't know. I did do a mid-October show a few years back, first time the church had one in years, did very well I thought (for my first ever show too) but I can't remember what all I sold - if it was Christmas related or just general stuff. Arghh, I need to KEEP one of those altered notebooks and use it as a craft show journal. Anyway, let me know what you find sells at October shows (Christmas wise or any themed ideas) if you can.

Just love this thread. I get so many ideas. And the projects posted have been awesome. Love the candles (and I buy Dollar Store too!), the notebooks, post it projects, all of it is great. I did some tags this weekend and I will be uploading them soon.

MY GALLERY
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #4543
Polyshrink Goddess

yeah, my October show last year was iffy. I think it had more to do with the economy and my pricing than anything else. There were a lot of lookers but most people just looked. Many other crafters said that sales were down from the year before. I am planning on taking a variety of Halloween/fall themed items and filling in with stuff that is not holiday-oriented like the composition notebooks, post-it note holders, clothespins, etc. I do think (at least I hope) that I may sell some Christmas card sets at this show as most people like to do those early.

Hope this helps. This thread has been so helpful to me this year. I feel like I will be more prepared. Thanks to everyone for all of their advice, ideas, sharing etc.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #4544
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Hi there! Thanks for the nice comments! I will PM you with the infomration....have an opportunity for you with the test tubes that I can't post to this thread! Anyone else is interested in test tubes, PM me!

Beth
let me know...I'm obsessed with the test tubes!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #4545
Cardstock Collector

Default Husband survival kits...

Somewhere on this thread I read about a husband survival kit...what does it contain, price, and how is it presented at a craft show...thank-you in advance for your help. Love this thread and all the ideas!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #4546
Matboard Maniac

Default Test Tubes

Quote:
Hi there! Thanks for the nice comments! I will PM you with the infomration....have an opportunity for you with the test tubes - anyone else is interested in test tubes, PM me!

Beth

Hi Beth, I sent you an email. Thanks!!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #4547
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a link for a cute water bottle id band:
Happybird's Crafting Haven: Water Bottle I.D. Band~Nice Stocking Stuffer Gift!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-10-2010 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Hi Mary! Could you please attach your photo into this post, or share the pic in the SCS gallery? I can add if u like!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #4548
Stampin' Fool

Pssssstt :::::

I just got home from my Walmart ... and they have the black & white composition books for..... {Cough, cough}

25 CENTS a Piece!! In the 'Back to School' section.

I bought 24!!

I have a craft fair coming up at the end of October (my FIRST!!) & I have been pouring over this thread for the past 3 days, and I'm trying to absorb (and take notes) of everything that sounds cute or I think might sell. I am focusing 80% of my 8 ft space on items under $5.00.

So far, I am going to make lollipop holders, treat size canybar holders, a few different 'poop' bag varieties, something with Peppermint Patties, stamping on candles, the acrylic picture frames for the post-it note/pen combo - found these this morning at Walmart also for $1.00 a piece! I got 6 each of 2 different sizes.

Anyway, I thought I would jump in here to tell you about my great find today!

Love this thread!

Paula

Last edited by MrsOcean; 08-10-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #4549
Kookie Creator

Beth I I'm interested in the test tubes but can't pm from my phone. Can you pm me so I can respond?

Thx!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #4550
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitecreations View Post
I'm applying for two and one is $25 and one is $50. The prices do vary. There is a show held here that gets a lot of traffic and the show costs $175 for two days. It'll be my first craft show too. Besides the cost, I too wonder how much stock to take.

Earlier in this thread, there was mention of how much inventory to take. The answer was to take with you, approximately 6 times the cost of your space, in inventory to sell. I have no idea how that figure sits with you, but for me.... it would be a bit overwhelming. But then again, I am just getting stuff ready to do my very first craft bazaar at the end of October - so what do I know! LOL. My 8 ft space will cost me $20, but I know that I am taking more than $120 worth of inventory with me. So it's all in what looks good to you. I would rahter take too much than not enough. It may also depend on how many hours your sale is on. My sale is for 6 hours. But it is a well publisized craft bazaar and has been going on for several years. This is my first year working a booth there. I am EXCITED!!

Good luck with your craft fair!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #4551
Pearl-ExPert

So have we found a store that carries the peppermint patties wrapped so they are still round? I have a friend who went to Sam's Club for me to check but they didn't have them. Maybe they will come, but I'd like to know now where I can go when I need to start buying them. Stupid companies who change their products - don't they know??

MY GALLERY
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #4552
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsOcean View Post
Earlier in this thread, there was mention of how much inventory to take. The answer was to take with you, approximately 6 times the cost of your space, in inventory to sell. I have no idea how that figure sits with you, but for me.... it would be a bit overwhelming. But then again, I am just getting stuff ready to do my very first craft bazaar at the end of October - so what do I know! LOL. My 8 ft space will cost me $20, but I know that I am taking more than $120 worth of inventory with me. So it's all in what looks good to you. I would rahter take too much than not enough. It may also depend on how many hours your sale is on. My sale is for 6 hours. But it is a well publisized craft bazaar and has been going on for several years. This is my first year working a booth there. I am EXCITED!!

Good luck with your craft fair!
Thank you for the response. 6 x the space cost actually sounds reasonable, but like you, when I add it up, I'm going to have way more than that. One of the shows I'm doing is $25 per table, so that would only be 150.00 worth of merchandise. Good luck with your show!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #4553
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsOcean View Post
Pssssstt :::::

I just got home from my Walmart ... and they have the black & white composition books for..... {Cough, cough}

25 CENTS a Piece!! In the 'Back to School' section.

I bought 24!!

I have a craft fair coming up at the end of October (my FIRST!!) & I have been pouring over this thread for the past 3 days, and I'm trying to absorb (and take notes) of everything that sounds cute or I think might sell. I am focusing 80% of my 8 ft space on items under $5.00.

So far, I am going to make lollipop holders, treat size canybar holders, a few different 'poop' bag varieties, something with Peppermint Patties, stamping on candles, the acrylic picture frames for the post-it note/pen combo - found these this morning at Walmart also for $1.00 a piece! I got 6 each of 2 different sizes.

Anyway, I thought I would jump in here to tell you about my great find today!

Love this thread!

Paula

YEA! Thanks for the head's up!

I just got an order for 45 comp notebooks for a peewee cheerleading squad so need to get more books asap! Anyone know a good place to order some cheerleader designer paper...couldn't find much out there!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #4554
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
So have we found a store that carries the peppermint patties wrapped so they are still round? I have a friend who went to Sam's Club for me to check but they didn't have them. Maybe they will come, but I'd like to know now where I can go when I need to start buying them. Stupid companies who change their products - don't they know??
Walgreens carries the Palmers brand patties, which are still wrapped in the round. WalMart usually has this brand closer to Christmas, too.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #4555
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just got an order for 45 comp notebooks for a peewee cheerleading squad so need to get more books asap! Anyone know a good place to order some cheerleader designer paper...couldn't find much out there!
You might be better off doing a patterned paper in the right colors (like stripes, polka dots, etc) and then cheerleader stamps/embellishments. It would probably be cheaper than trying to find cheer paper at a good price.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #4556
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I found some Moxxie Cheer paper at Scrappin Stuff

The second page has some cute paper that is in bright colors, it's double sided so you could choose either color, and the print is small enough that it won't overpower the book. It's 62 cents a sheet though so depending on what your budget is, it might be out of reach.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #4557
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
I found some Moxxie Cheer paper at Scrappin Stuff

The second page has some cute paper that is in bright colors, it's double sided so you could choose either color, and the print is small enough that it won't overpower the book. It's 62 cents a sheet though so depending on what your budget is, it might be out of reach.
Thanks for the link! That paper is better than what I have found so far!
I am doing this for a friend so not looking to make money...just doing it for cost.

Thanks again!
Beth
Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #4558
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
You have to get the Pearson's brand at Wal Mart. They are the only ones I can find that are round and are packaged the way the York's used to be packaged.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #4559
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Thanks for the link! That paper is better than what I have found so far!
I am doing this for a friend so not looking to make money...just doing it for cost.

Thanks again!
Beth
You're welcome! I liked that it was double sided so you could choose colors. 62 cents/sheet isn't too bad either!

Post a pic when you've got some done, I'd love to see them
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #4560
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
How well do you all do on average at craft shows?

I did two shows last year - one was late October and the other was early December. I made back my table fee at the first one. Not many Christmas items sold. Way too early I think as well as the economy. At the second one, I sold out of a lot of things and got orders. Many things were priced @ $1 ea like snowman soup, peppermint patties in pretzel bag with a cute tag, Rudolph Spares, etc. I have 4 shows scheduled for this year. Any ideas for the late October one besides Halloween? I don't have many Thanksgiving ideas. I was thinking of doing fall-themed candles. I cannot decide what to do and how much to make. How do you all figure this out?! Ack! Its been driving me crazy so I keep procrastinating. Not good!
nobody has any advice????